Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

UV Info
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:26 pm      Reply with quote
Very interesting article with info I did not know!

http://www.spfashions.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=UV-Info

UVB radiation is stronger between late morning and early afternoon when the sun's rays are directed straight down at the Earth.

UVA radiation is stronger in the early morning and late afternoon when the sun's rays reach the Earth at an angle.
Frodo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:14 pm      Reply with quote
Whenever I decide to get some sunshine on my body, i.e. sit in the lawn chair and read, I usually do it after 3pm and of course with SS on. I have to get my dose of vitamin D even though I know it's not a good thing for too long. Growing up living on the beach in San Diego didn't help.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:28 am      Reply with quote
Great find Riley! Smile

This reinforces my idea of playing at a Vampire's life (re: sun avoidance) I take a D supplement! Laughing

So much for laying out by the pool naked....

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:04 am      Reply with quote
Today's UV Index Forecasts Around the World

If you make, first do no harm, your Law, you will never strike the first blow and will be known as a man of peace who can fight like ten tigers, a Human in the act of Being. There is no greater rank than this. Ashida Kim on War.~Cellese~AnteAge Serum and Accelerator, DermaRoller ,MyFawnie AA2G serum, KNN G ForceUltrasound., SEA, ChrySun 25% ZnO
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:40 am      Reply with quote
DragoN wrote:
Today's UV Index Forecasts Around the World

Nice one.

Not sure about perfect accuracy, when I input my location about 2 hours north of Miami it shows the High hitting about 2 hours earlier than Miami. I did it for a few days, but all in all nice to have.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:50 am      Reply with quote
Australia has the highest rate of skin cancer in the world - so we get sun avoidance drilled into us from an early age. But this has now resulted in a rise in Vitamin D deficiency (my own daughter was diagnosed with it recently). Worryingly, Vitamin D deficiency is now being linked to a rise in Multiple Sclerosis.

I won't bore you all again with my rant against babies in prams being covered up in their black tents - Heaven forbid a single sun ray should strike them! But I think things have been taken to extremes. Sunlight has many benefits - so, like everything else, I think it should be taken in moderation.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:26 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:

UVA radiation is stronger in the early morning and late afternoon when the sun's rays reach the Earth at an angle.

But did you guys pick up on this? The UVA is supposedly responsible for premature aging. So, now we are being told that the UVA is the highest in the Early morning and Late afternoon, when these have been the times recommended to go Out in the sun if you are going to!!
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:45 am      Reply with quote
Riley - you should know by now that we can never win!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:17 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
Australia has the highest rate of skin cancer in the world - so we get sun avoidance drilled into us from an early age. But this has now resulted in a rise in Vitamin D deficiency (my own daughter was diagnosed with it recently). Worryingly, Vitamin D deficiency is now being linked to a rise in Multiple Sclerosis.

I won't bore you all again with my rant against babies in prams being covered up in their black tents - Heaven forbid a single sun ray should strike them! But I think things have been taken to extremes. Sunlight has many benefits - so, like everything else, I think it should be taken in moderation.

Sorry Keliu,

I was actually joking a bit, I don't totally avoid sun exposure, just limit it based on my location! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:25 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
Keliu wrote:

Sorry Keliu,

I was actually joking a bit, I don't totally avoid sun exposure, just limit it based on my location! Very Happy

No need for appologies DM!!!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:39 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
Keliu wrote:

Sorry Keliu,

No need for appologies DM!!!!

Thanks Keliu,

I just wanted to straighten that out as I don't wish to spread the idea that we should totally avoid any sun exposure!

cm posted a very good breakdown somewhere on here that shows just how much exposure we should get depending on location and skin type that is very informative! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:06 am      Reply with quote
The sun debate confuses me, I was watching an interview of different Dr.'s and Dr. Perricone was on it, the interviewer (can't recall who) asked him about his tan. He said he sits in the sun for 20 minutes a day, that it is needed for the D and healthy Confused . Not saying he's right, just most Dr.'s say no sun, he says some sun.

Perhaps this clarifies it all, some sun at high noon Laughing slathered in sunscreen.

Thanks for the info!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:18 am      Reply with quote
cm5597 posted this on another thread seems very logical to me, the thing is you do not need to expose your face!Very Happy She also recommeded his book on the thread.:

Sunscreen and Vitamin D levels

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=44998

Hey DarkMoon

It's great to see you back

Yes, Dr. Holick provides really detailed and excellent advice in his book, "The UV Advantage":

http://www.amazon.com/UV-ADVANTAGE-Michael-F-Holick/dp/1596879009/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330702162&sr=8-1

He says that you need to expose about 25% of your body to the sun 2-3 times a week for an amount of time listed in his sun tables. 25% of your body corresponds to exposing your arms and legs, or your hands, arms, and face.

To figure out how long you need to be outside, you need to know:

* Your skin type (types 1-6)
* Your geographical location/latitude (he breaks the world into 4 regions: Tropics, Subtropics, Mid-Latitudes, and High latitudes)
* Time of day
* Month of the year (this is roughly broken down into the four seasons, e.g., Spring is Mar-May)

The 6 Skin Types are:

Type 1 Skin: "I always burn, never tan, and am fair with red or blond hair and freckles (albinos, some redheads)."
Type 2 Skin: "I easily burn, hardly get tan, and am fair-skinned (people of northern European origin, such as Scandinavians or Celts)."
Type 3 Skin: "I occasionally burn and gradually tan (people of Mediterranean and Middle East origin)."
Type 4 Skin: "I rarely burn and always tan (people of East Asian origin and some Indians and Pakistanis)."
Type 5 Skin: "I seldom burn, always tan, and have medium-to-dark skin (people of African origin, South East Asians, and some Indians and Pakistanis)."
Type 6 Skin: "I never burn and tan darkly (people with "blue-black" skin, of African origin, and dark-skinned Asians such as Tamils) ."

For example, in Anchorage, Alaska, during the fall month of September, if you want to get enough sunlight to make vitamin D by being outside between 3 - 5 pm, you need the following amounts of sun each time you go out:

Type 1 Skin: 20 - 25 minutes
Type 2 Skin: 25 - 40 minutes
Type 3 Skin: 30 - 50 minutes
Type 4 Skin: 45 - 60 minutes
Type 5 - 6 Skin: 60 - 90 minutes

And you need this amount 2-3 times per week.

However, if you are vacationing in Honolulu, Hawaii, during the summer and want to go out at noon-ish, then you need

Type 1 Skin: 1 - 5 minutes
Type 2 Skin: 2 - 8 minutes
Type 3 Skin: 5 - 10 minutes
Type 4 Skin: 10 - 15 minutes
Type 5 - 6 Skin: 15 - 20 minutes

2-3 times per week. So you can see how dramatically the amount of sunlight you need to produce vitamin D varies by your location, the time of day, and time of year (not to mention, your skin color)!

And he says you need to do this for all periods listed in the chart, and then you will have enough vitamin D year-round (including during the winter, when you can't get vitamin D from the sun, but your fat cells will releases some of the vitamin D you have stored during the other months).

I find his recommendations to be very reasonable. He is only recommending a very moderate and reasonable amount of sunshine, as you can also see from his quite pale skin and lack of obvious sun damage in the photo of him on his website (the link that Claudia posted).

Dr. Holick also says that if you don't do this and follow his safe sun tables, then you should supplement by taking 1000 IU of vitamin D daily.

Another benefit of the tables is that if you double (or for some people, triple) the numbers in the table, that provides a great estimate of how long you can get away with being outside without sunscreen before you start turning red. I find this to be amazingly helpful in preventing redness (that very mild "burn") or sunburn when traveling or vacationing to new areas. As soon as I hit 2 (or sometimes 3) times the number in the table, I either put on sunscreen, cover up, or go inside. I've only got redness once since then, despite being in the tropics a few times over the past few years, and that was only during a boating trip when my sunscreen washed off my legs from the spray more quickly than I expected. So it's invaluable for having an estimate of your sun tolerance on vacation / going to the beach, too!

I hope this helps

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:44 pm      Reply with quote
Ok... Embarassed And here I thought that UVA levels were more or less similar throughout the day to UVB levels that also spikes at noon, but UVB is more prone to highs and downs. I was under the impression that UVA started pelting us at sunrise, but was rather mild at that time of day, but almost doubling in intensity from 9-10 AM to 11-14, and then it goes down the hill, so to speak.

I based my opinion on stuff like this: http://almashriq.hiof.no/lebanon/600/610/614/solar-water/idrc/10-19.html

I would agree that it's a very old paper and they didn't measure full UVA spectrum, and many things might have changed since that time, so if anyone has better papers, I (and many others here) would gladly feast on more up-to-date information! I could've just as easily misinterpreted what I read.
I'm just a bit reluctant to believe a commercial site just because they say so and provide no references, especially since it's so... radically different.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:53 pm      Reply with quote
jazzi wrote:
Ok... Embarassed And here I thought that UVA levels were more or less similar throughout the day to UVB levels that also spikes at noon, but UVB is more prone to highs and downs. I was under the impression that UVA started pelting us at sunrise, but was rather mild at that time of day, but almost doubling in intensity from 9-10 AM to 11-14, and then it goes down the hill, so to speak.

I based my opinion on stuff like this: http://almashriq.hiof.no/lebanon/600/610/614/solar-water/idrc/10-19.html

I would agree that it's a very old paper and they didn't measure full UVA spectrum, and many things might have changed since that time, so if anyone has better papers, I (and many others here) would gladly feast on more up-to-date information! I could've just as easily misinterpreted what I read.
I'm just a bit reluctant to believe a commercial site just because they say so and provide no references, especially since it's so... radically different.

I know exactly what you are saying on this, it gets really confusing.

I am closer to the equator so I know the sun is closer and stronger here as well, so I do try to limit exposure. That is one reason I supplement my Vitamin D? I also don't expose my face if at all possible even with sunscreen.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:30 pm      Reply with quote
I wish I can find sun protector that has the most perfect formulation with exceptional sun protection for UVA & UVB with very high SPF at a reasonable price since I don't mind over applying.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:43 pm      Reply with quote
When I was a young mother, we were told to remove our baby's clothes and nappy and expose them to the sun once a day for a short amount of time (I'm not talking about grilling them to a crisp!) I think if you did this today, you'd be charged with child abuse!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:50 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
When I was a young mother, we were told to remove our baby's clothes and nappy and expose them to the sun once a day for a short amount of time (I'm not talking about grilling them to a crisp!) I think if you did this today, you'd be charged with child abuse!

Yes, I have heard the same and I remember my father would do this to us when we were very young.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:46 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
rileygirl wrote:

But did you guys pick up on this? The UVA is supposedly responsible for premature aging. So, now we are being told that the UVA is the highest in the Early morning and Late afternoon, when these have been the times recommended to go Out in the sun if you are going to!!

All I am going to say is to look at our government food recommendations, and that ought to be enough to stop us from listening to the higher "authorities," sigh.

That was quite a find and I agree that it is the exact opposite of what we have been told for the last eternity.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:12 pm      Reply with quote
Skincare wrote:
Keliu wrote:

Yes, I have heard the same and I remember my father would do this to us when we were very young.

The natural sunlight helps to eliminate/prevent jaundice in infants. My son had moderate jaundice 15 years ago and the Dr. recommended natural sunlight for about 30 minutes twice a day or leaving him in the hospital under the special lamps. I went for the sun.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:49 am      Reply with quote
In Victorian times, Rickets was very prevalent in children living in densely populated city environs. According to Wikepedia it's on the rise again due to the use of sunblock.

Quote:
Cases have been reported in Britain in recent years[5] of rickets in children of many social backgrounds caused by inability to make vitamin D because the sun's ultraviolet light was not reaching the skin because of persistent use of strong sunblock, or too much "covering up" in sunlight, or spending too much time indoors. Other cases have been reported among the children of some ethnic groups in which mothers avoid exposure to the sun for religious or cultural reasons, leading to a maternal shortage of vitamin D.[6][7] The British Medical Journal reported in 2010 that doctors in Newcastle on Tyne saw 20 cases of rickets per year.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rickets

And as I stated earlier, Vitamin D deficiency has been linked to MS.

http://www.mssociety.org.uk/ms-news/2011/12/new-research-finds-rare-gene-linking-vitamin-d-ms

I'm sure all those little babies currently being wheeled around in prams covered by a black "tent" are going to be in all sorts of trouble.

As for myself, I'm the "Queen of Sun Damage" having spent most of my younger years lying in the sun basted with coconut oil. So I'm not advocating that approach - but I do think some exposure to the sun is necessary and healthy. This is a good article on the subject - it ends by saying:

Quote:
Nobody wants to get skin cancer, but we’ve gone from sun worship to sun dread. Dr. Stern and others say there is a middle way that includes using a sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of at least 15 when you’re outside for an extended period and wearing a hat and shirt around midday. So when summer’s here, get outside and enjoy it!
http://www.health.harvard.edu/fhg/updates/update0604d.shtml

5% products discount

Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:37 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Very interesting article with info I did not know!

http://www.spfashions.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=UV-Info

UVB radiation is stronger between late morning and early afternoon when the sun's rays are directed straight down at the Earth.

funny
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:32 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |