Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

ArNOX enzyme - anyone heard of this?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:32 am      Reply with quote
Found this brief article. Thoughts?

http://www.cosmeticsandtoiletries.com/research/biology/62661802.html
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:26 pm      Reply with quote
I'd never heard of this prior to your post, Riley. But you know how it is when once you hear something you've never heard before, you'll see it again within 24 hours? Yesterday, after Lacy posted the information about the Rankines gel in the other thread, I went to their website to take a look at their products again and clicked on their FAQs section. They refer to a patent by NuSkin which talks some about arNOX. It's all over my head - I haven't got a clue what it means - but you might find their FAQs information interesting: http://www.rankines.com/faq.html. If you actually understand what they're saying, I'd love to know.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:40 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, Skippie. I'll check out the link. All I have been able to find out so far is the age loc product by Nu Skin is designed to slow the ArNOX enzyme down.

ETA: This article may make a little more sense in understanding arNOX.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Nuskin-ArNOX---Scientific-Review-of-ArNOX&id=1731996
Lacy53
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:04 pm      Reply with quote
I have been looking around for any information I can find regarding (ar) NOX with specific reference to aging skin. Haven't found anything yet, but I did notice this study done in 2008 which talks about taking supplements to combat the issue:

Supplementation with CoQ10 lowers age-related (ar) NOX levels in healthy subjects.

Our work has identified an aging-related ECTO-NOX activity (arNOX), a hydroquinone oxidase which is cell surface located and generates superoxide. This activity increases with increasing age beginning >30 y. Because of its cell surface location and ability to generate superoxide, the arNOX proteins may serve to propagate an aging cascade both to adjacent cells and to oxidize circulating lipoproteins as significant factors determining atherogenic risk. The generation of superoxide by arNOX proteins is inhibited by Coenzyme Q10 as one basis for an anti-aging benefit of CoQ10 supplementation in human subjects. In a preliminary pilot study, 25 female subjects between 45 and 55 y of age were recruited at Stanford University from the Palo Alto, CA area. Informed consent was obtained. Ten of the subjects received Coenzyme Q10 supplementation of 180 (3 x 60 mg) per day for 28 days. Serum, saliva and perspiration levels of arNOX were determined at 7, 14 and 28 days of CoQ10 supplementation and compared to the initial baseline value. Activity correlated with subject age up to a maximum between age 50 and 55 years of age for saliva and perspiration as well and then declined. With all three sources, the arNOX activity extrapolated to zero at about age 30. Response to Coenzyme Q10 also increased with age being least between ages 45 and 50 and greatest between ages 60 and 65. With all three biofluids, arNOX activity was reduced between 25 and 30% by a 3 x 60 mg daily dose Coenzyme Q10 supplementation. Inhibition was the result of Coenzyme Q10 presence.

I am not sure that this study can be directly extrapolated to skin care, but supplementing with CoQ10 seems to reduce (ar) NOX activity when it is taken internally. HTH

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:58 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, Lacy. So, Co-Q 10 is definitely something to consider taking. Interestingly, the older one is, the more they respond to the Co-Q10. I am not up on this supplement, but 180 mg sounds like a lot for this, as I thought it was a tiny amount recommended?

This is just a little bit of the article that I posted the link to:

"As the arNOX enzyme generates superoxide free radicals at the cell surface, it damages adjacent cells and other components, such as collagen and elastin, causing the skin to sag and wrinkle. Unlike other free radicals produced from exposure to our environment such as from the sun or pollutants, it is our genes that control the activity of this arNOX enzyme, particularly during our "ageing" years of 45-70. The higher our arNOX serum levels, the older we look and the faster we age. In a clinical study conducted by Stanford University, clinical scientists concluded that study participants with higher levels of arNOX appeared an average of seven years older, while participants with lower levels of arNOX appeared an average of seven years younger. It is for this reason that some people just look naturally younger for their age."

I think it is a very interesting topic, and may explain (partially) why some people who don't wear sunscreen or do anything special to their skin can still look younger than others who really take care of their skin!
jjbeacham
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:13 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, girls! I don't know anything about (ar)NOX. However, I do take CoQ10 daily (100 mg soft-gel by Swanson Vitamins called QGel with excellent bioavailability) and have done so for 8 years, since completing chemotherapy and radition for cancer. Coenzyme Q10 participates in aerobic cellular respiration, generating energy in the form of ATP. Ninety-five percent of the human body’s energy is generated this way. When you take CoQ10 orally, it is recommended that you also take Alpha Lipoic Acid to assist the CoQ10 in the elevation of cellular energy levels. I take a 300mg capsule of ALA daily.

Another important point is that when someone is on one of the statin drugs (such as Lipitor), their body's supply of CoQ10 is being lowered continually. If you take a statin drug, you should supplement with CoQ10, or at least discuss doing so with your doctor. HTH! ~ JJ

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:28 pm      Reply with quote
jjbeacham wrote:
Hi, girls! I don't know anything about (ar)NOX. However, I do take CoQ10 daily (100 mg soft-gel by Swanson Vitamins called QGel with excellent bioavailability) and have done so for 8 years, since completing chemotherapy and radition for cancer. Coenzyme Q10 participates in aerobic cellular respiration, generating energy in the form of ATP. Ninety-five percent of the human body’s energy is generated this way. When you take CoQ10 orally, it is recommended that you also take Alpha Lipoic Acid to assist the CoQ10 in the elevation of cellular energy levels. I take a 300mg capsule of ALA daily.

Another important point is that when someone is on one of the statin drugs (such as Lipitor), their body's supply of CoQ10 is being lowered continually. If you take a statin drug, you should supplement with CoQ10, or at least discuss doing so with your doctor. HTH! ~ JJ

Thanks for the info, JJ. I do take a statin (I think I remember this being talked about before somewhere, but definitely forgot it!). Time to start on the CO-Q 10 and ALA. How do you know how much ALA to take, is it dose dependent on the CO-Q 10?
jjbeacham
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:34 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
jjbeacham wrote:

Thanks for the info, JJ. I do take a statin (I think I remember this being talked about before somewhere, but definitely forgot it!). Time to start on the CO-Q 10 and ALA. How do you know how much ALA to take, is it dose dependent on the CO-Q 10?

Riley, it isn't dose dependent for me. I did quite a bit of research on supplements while I was regaining my health, and what I take (100mg CoQ10 and 300mg ALA) is pretty standard for ALA and a bit on the high side for CoQ10. Some of the combination pills which include both supplements have only 20mg of CoQ10 and 200mg of ALA. ALA is known as the universal antioxidant and increases the viability of both Vitamin C and Vitamin E within the body, which I felt was very beneficial. Since it is imperative that I get as much benefit from the CoQ10 as possible, I decided to take a form that was bioavailable and highly effective. The 100mg Swanson QGel works beautifully for me. My blood is tested every eight weeks, and has been very healthy for quite some time now. I thank my supplements as well as my diet; I can definitely tell a difference when I don't take them.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:49 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, JJ. I am not sure if you would know this or not, and I will do some checking as well, but in your research of these 2 do you remember reading anything about either of these being blood thinners?
jjbeacham
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:33 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Thanks, JJ. I am not sure if you would know this or not, and I will do some checking as well, but in your research of these 2 do you remember reading anything about either of these being blood thinners?

Riley, you're very welcome. To my knowledge, neither is a blood thinner. I was on Coumadin for a few years (when I had a portacath) and I was allowed to take both CoQ10 and Alpha Lipoic Acid. However, many herbs and supplements ARE anticoagulants. Vitamine E is very bad about thinning the blood, as is garlic. Vitamin E can actually be used in place of Coumadin. Each time I had surgery, I had to stop taking each of those two weeks prior to the surgery date.

Here is a list of some of the others considered to have blood thinning properties:

* angelica root, anise, arnica flower, asafoetida, bogbean, boldo,
* Bromelain - Herbs with Anti-platelet properties.
* capsicum, celery, chamomile,
* clove - Herbs with Anti-platelet properties.
* danshen, fenugreek, feverfew, fish oil,
* garlic - It has been indicated that when essential garlic oil was mixed with blood samples from healthy individuals, cells were less likely to clump together (coagulate) in a laboratory setting. Although there had been no documented reports of any serious interaction effects when taking both Coumadin and garlic, studies had implied that a serious reaction might be possible.
* ginger - Traditionally, ginger (Zingiber officinale) has been taken to curb motion sickness and arthritis. Today, it has been reported to reduce blood clotting.
* ginkgo - Ginkgo leaf has been shown to decrease platelet aggregation. It is thought that the ginkgo constituent, ginkgolide B, displaces platelet-activating factor from its binding sites, decreasing blood coagulation (6048).
* horse chestnut, horseradish, licorice,
* meadowsweet - Herbs that may contain salicylates.
* onion - Herbs with Anti-platelet properties.
* panax ginseng, papain, passionflower,
* poplar - Herbs that may contain salicylates.
* prickly ash, quassia, red clover,
* turmeric - Herbs with Anti-platelet properties.
* vitamin E - At appropriate doses, vitamin E has been shown to have virtually the same pharmacological properties as Coumadin.
* wild carrot, wild lettuce,
* willow bark - Herb that may contain salicylates,
* and others.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:34 am      Reply with quote
Thank you SO much JJ. I have ITP, so I have to be very careful what I take internally. It is good to hear that you were allowed to take ALA and CO-Q 10 while being on Coumadin. The list is very helpful. Can you tell me where you found that info out?
jjbeacham
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:27 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Thank you SO much JJ. I have ITP, so I have to be very careful what I take internally. It is good to hear that you were allowed to take ALA and CO-Q 10 while being on Coumadin. The list is very helpful. Can you tell me where you found that info out?

Hi, Riley! It's from a site called Herbal Remedies. Here's the link: http://www.herbalremedies.com/blthansu.html . It also tells you how to actually use Vitamin E in place of Coumadin. HTH you! ~ JJ

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:13 pm      Reply with quote
jjbeacham wrote:

Hi, Riley! It's from a site called Herbal Remedies. Here's the link: http://www.herbalremedies.com/blthansu.html . It also tells you how to actually use Vitamin E in place of Coumadin. HTH you! ~ JJ

Helps a ton, JJ. Thanks so much again!
J.M.

Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:22 pm      Reply with quote
Newbie here... A guy actually (57)... trolling around for end user experiences or your personal results with killing off the arNOX enzyme. I notice these posts were a little old so no doubt you've got it all figured out by now. I am actually a financial guy and fell into this Age Related NOX enzyme via some prospectus material. I take it all with a grain of salt but also know one of the companies here… Life Gen Technologies... solid group, if they're involved I'm looking closer... There’s a genetic component here that is important. I’d be happy to hear of any feed back good or bad… j.m.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:54 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |