Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Hereditary Dark Circles
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
spitboy

Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:42 pm      Reply with quote
I don't see anyone distinguishing between hereditary and non-hereditary circles when discussing treatments. I have hereditary dark circles and have tried Vitamin K to no avail (along with lesser over-the-counter treatments/creams), it just made me red and burning. I even went to a specialty laser plastic surgery center and they told me there was nothing to be done about hereditary circles. Does anyone know the difference, and if you have them, has anything helped? I haven't tried biotin or Hylexin, but I'll try and pay ANYTHING! The skin all around my eyes is either blue/grey or brown (upper eyelids). The only thing that has helped me temporarily without being noticeable like concealers is Dermadoctor Eyespy. Help me get rid of them!!
pbsadhaka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:05 pm      Reply with quote
Hereditary dark circles cannot be corrected. They are almost always caused by thin skin in the undereye area and blood vessles that are close to the skin surface. Treatments for dark circles (such as vitamin K, etc.) will only treat congestive circles due to lack of sleep, over exposure to the sun, etc., and with limited success.

Have you ever been tested for allergies? Many people think that they have hereditary dark circles, when really they have what are called "allergic shiners". If they are treated with allergy medication & eyedrops, they often go away. What you are thinking is hereditary, may be just that...hereditary allergies. The dark circles may be a side-effect.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but there is very little that can be done with severe, chronic dark circles. You could try using a treatment such as retinol or Matrixyl that helps to thicken the dermal matrix. This may give you just enough added depth to make the veins & blood vessles less noticable. But there is nothing to say that it will be a noticable improvement & it will be a long process - no quick results with that route. The good thing though is that both products are good for your skin regardless of how much they help (or don't help) reduce the appearance of your circles.
spitboy

Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:35 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for your reply! I actually was just tested for allergies due to severe nasal problems, and as it turns out I am allergic to ALOT. I got treatment for my nose, but what can I specifically ask for/test for to see if I have "allergic shiners"?
pbsadhaka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:16 pm      Reply with quote
Allergic shiners aren't something that you can test for. They're just a side effect of severe allergies. If you treat your allergies with something like Allegra, or Zyrtec, then your dark circles MAY decrease.
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:25 pm      Reply with quote
Jane Iredale Circle Delete is a wonderful product to hide those dark circles.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/jane_iredale_concealer_camouflage.htm

Winnie

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
rzecka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:30 am      Reply with quote
I have really bad dark circles too. I'm sorry to say that JI Circle Delete #2 does absolutely nothing for me. It looks sheer on me and has no coverage. Mad I've tried applying more/less, mixing the two colours, individual colours, with a brush, fingers, flocked sponge, over eye cream, without eye cream and nada. Rolling Eyes I've never found anything that works.. i had been thinking of trying out PTR Power K, but after reading this thread I'm thinking I have hereditary dark circles.. Crying or Very sad
spitboy

Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:42 pm      Reply with quote
You should really try that Dermadoctor Eyespy. It's the only thing that has ever helped me (temporarily). If I were you I'd try to find it on Ebay first, since it's not cheap, or find a beauty supply that carries it and they'll give you samples to take home and try..
deacon
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:41 pm      Reply with quote
I know you want to eliminate the circles, so this is a bit off topic. I have tried and tried to eliminate heredity dark circles for the past 10 years to no avail.

I finally tried a product I heard about here to CONCEAL the circles and this one really works for me.

Laura Mercier Secret Brightener, Secret Concealer, and Secret Brightening Powder do the trick. My bill came to about $75 when I purchased at Bloomingdales (which is the ONLY place I found Laura Mercier in my area), the amount of product you need to use is very slight. I think the products will last and last.

Until you find the perfect product to eliminate (and when you do PLEASE post!!!!), this series of products are worth trying to conceal.
Medusa
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 10, 2005 6:03 am      Reply with quote
Anyone considered..

1 Laser or
2 (chemical) Peeling or
3 Fat Grafting

to combat the dark circles?

Medusa Cool dark eyed Crying or Very sad
blueberry
5% products discount

Tue May 10, 2005 8:27 am      Reply with quote
yes, but very expensive. will dark circles come back again after these treatments?
PTR rescue K does nothing for me, I am very disappointed & feel hopeless
armnitram

Sun May 15, 2005 5:34 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,
I'm new to the forum. I have herditary dark circles that I have fought with my whole life. This year I went to work for an ophthalmologist who also owns a skin clinic. He told me that there is no cure for my dark circles, but he perscribed me hydroquinone 4% by glade to bleach my circles. Using this in combination with Origins eye doctor, my circles have changed from black to a light brown color that can be covered with a concealer. I was hoping that hylexin could take care of the remainder of my circles but after reading the forum on this product, I'm not convinced. Any suggestions?
tasha92337
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:10 pm      Reply with quote
If u have dark circles like myself that will never go away no matter what: Kojic acid, vitamin C, etc. Then its best to get a Laser Treatment. People say to me that a laser treatment cost Too much money, but actually you are paying almost the same amount of the surgery by buying All these products that promises you results in less than three months. I realized that after spending quite a couple hundereds of dollars that I could of put in my surgery, I would have had these circles reduced or possibly faded. So trust me, look into surgery . I believe it cost no more between 1100-1200 dollars. Besides monthly payments can be in process. Check it out! Idea
Nadinonette

Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:15 am      Reply with quote
Hello I'm new in the forum and about the hereditary dark circles I wanted to know if they can be caused by smoking : my father was smoking before and over the years, he began to have these dark circles; that was before he married my mother, so could this be the cause of my dark circles.. Crying or Very sad
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:32 am      Reply with quote
armnitram wrote:
Hi,
I'm new to the forum. I have herditary dark circles that I have fought with my whole life. This year I went to work for an ophthalmologist who also owns a skin clinic. He told me that there is no cure for my dark circles, but he perscribed me hydroquinone 4% by glade to bleach my circles.

I cant see how hydroquinone would work for dark circles unless you truly have pigmentation on the skin, which is often not the case with dark circles.
Amy Lu
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:06 pm      Reply with quote
i want to have a try with PSF eye gel mask Very Happy
lisocas
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:45 am      Reply with quote
I still haven´t found anything better than Mary Kay signature concealer and teamine eye complex. It doesn´t make my dark circles disappear but they do really get better (most of days, lol)
chlosifa44

Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:52 am      Reply with quote
I'm only 13 and I have dark cirles under my eyes. I don't have any idea what to do about it. My mom has them too & she told me there heretitary. I literally sit in the morning before school caking on so much concealer under them, it takes my at least a half hour. And i'm always so paranoid about them! I need some helppp Sad
lisocas
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:27 am      Reply with quote
Hi deacon!

Do you use Laura Mercier Secret Brightener and the Secret Concealer at the same time? How do you apply the Secret Brightening Powder?

hugs Smile
dark circles for ever

Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:25 pm      Reply with quote
Hi ,I have severe dark circles, and I tried every cream on the market to get rid off them but it didn't work. I think its hereditary because even when I am well rested, I look tired. Lately I went to a doctor and without knowing the cause of the dark circles, she told me I needed restylane injection. After she assured me its gonna work,I accepted and had the restylane injection,which cost $950( For one &half syringe).She gave me a bleaching cream with hydroquinone, hydrocortisone and retinoic acid,which costs $75. Well after two weeks of bruising and swelling, I got back to normal with still very dark cirles. I didn't see any change,even 1%!After using the bleaching cream I was having very dry and flaky skin under my eye and around the upper lid,so I had to stop using it.I was so frustrated because I spent $1050 for nothing.My advice to people who have severe dark cirles, don't trow your money,don't have the restylane procedure or bleaching cream,because it will not work. I think I just want to get back to my concealer,and be happy .
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:58 am      Reply with quote
The filler you had done will correct the Tear Through. So if your dark circles were cause by that then it should definitely help. It doesn't sound like that is your issue unless your dr did not place the filler correctly.

I would stop using those skin products around your eyes. Hydroquinone, hydrocortisone and retinoic acid should not all be used around the eyes.
Hydroquinone will not effect dark circles at all. Unless you actually have hyperpigmentation the problem isn't on the surface your skin.
Hydrocortisone should only be used for a few days at a time as it thins the skin over time, definitely not something you want around the eye area.
Retinoic acid can be used with caution.
bubbles420

Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:55 pm      Reply with quote
Hello, I'm new to the forum and have had dark hereditary circles since elementary schools. I have prom in about a month and need a way (whether make-up or cream)that will not make me look like a raccoon. I need something that will make them vanish, but as for make-up not look like it's caked on. Please help!
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:59 pm      Reply with quote
^ Bubbles420, What have you tried w/regard to makeup? Do you live in a big city where you have access to makeup counters where they can try colors on your skin before buying and show you how to use them?

I know of a woman who's pretty particular about what she uses on her dark circles and she swears by MUFE Full Cover Concealor. I've heard great things about Bobbi Brown's as well. See if you can get help with how to select & apply (finishing off with transparent powder etc) before buying.

If you need something less expensive, let us know and I'm sure someone can come up with some other suggestions. These products will be particularly light in formulation and so less likely to cake up than crappy products.

Lastly, something that helped me was about a half ml of gelatin diluted in a teaspoon of boiling water and then put on my circles (after its cool enough) for a few minutes. It may not help with real problem circles though.
Good luck

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
calorblind
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:05 am      Reply with quote
ive tried about 50+ eye creams and the only one that works for my dark circles is the History Of Whoo Hwanyu Eye cream!
tasha92337
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:55 am      Reply with quote
has anyone tried NCN retinol 2%??
lemonzest

Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:53 am      Reply with quote
I agree with those who say there is little to be done *if* the dark circles are hereditary and caused by thin skin. In this case, you are seeing the muscle and veins through the skin. I have hollows and circles and have tried every cosmetic active out there as well as allergy meds. No go.

What works for me the best is not overindulging in my beloved red wine and getting a lot of sleep. And that just keeps the circles at "dark" rather than "very dark."

My advice is to get a great concealer and setting powder, wear a nice blush to distract from the area, and forget about it and focus on other things you CAN change. It's really one of those things that is just going to be destructive if you obsess about it. Been there, done that.

Right now I am using IT Cosmetics Bye Bye Undereye. Just a tiniest pinprick of the product is needed. I set it with the Laura Mercier Brightening Powder. These products are expensive, but they last a long time because they last and only a tiny bit is needed every day.

39 y.o. Low carb. Brunette, oily hearty skin, thick wavy hair, high cheekbones, hereditary hollows/dark circles, 11s. Perricone, Isomers, Philosophy, Skin Actives, Lightstim, Nutritone. Sagger, not sinker. My mother has sagged quite a bit at 60, but she's skinny and used Noxema as a leave-on cream for 20 years. :-0
System
Automatic Message
Wed May 01, 2024 11:04 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |