Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Is my retin-a (retino-A) fake?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
jhillo
5% products discount

Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:40 am      Reply with quote
Hi, after reading these forums for a bit I ordered Retin-A from inhousepharmacy. I ordered the 0.05% Retino-A cream by Johnson & Johnson of India.
It arrived in a red 20g tube.
I would describe the cream inside as pearly white colored, with a slight odor. But here is the problem, I have been using it for 2 weeks so far and I have no burn / flaking / irritation..
In the past within couple of days of using retin-a I would feel that slight burn, and with this .. nothing. So does this mean this stuff is fake? Thanks in advance, J
Glamcat
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:33 am      Reply with quote
If the active ingredient is Tretinoin it should be the real deal - Retin-A does have a pearlish tone and a slight smell, I'm not a fan of the smell, I find it really off-putting.

You may just have quite resilient skin and need a higher strength. I have a friend who was using the same strength as me - she was using it all over her face every night and it took a whole month before she got any peeling. Me on the other hand, I just use a tiny dab on a zit and I have major peeling for several days! Everyone is different.
Dee28
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:52 am      Reply with quote
jhillo wrote:
Hi, after reading these forums for a bit I ordered Retin-A from inhousepharmacy. I ordered the 0.05% Retino-A cream by Johnson & Johnson of India.
I would describe the cream inside as pearly white colored, with a slight odor. But here is the problem, I have been using it for 2 weeks so far and I have no burn / flaking / irritation..
In the past within couple of days of using retin-a I would feel that slight burn, and with this .. nothing. So does this mean this stuff is fake? Thanks in advance, J

Doubt it's fake, I use the same one but order direct from ADC. Possibly just different inactive ingredients to the tretinoin formulation you have been using so perhaps it is not as harsh?
echoecho
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:09 am      Reply with quote
When you purchase Retin-A your essentially buying Retinoic acid as it is the most affective form of retinol so as long as thats listed as the active then your getting the real deal Smile

AGE: 25. Some laxity, fine lines, rosacea, and crepey skin. USING: Tripollar STOP, Lightstim, Slendertone Face, Microcurrent Wand, Almighty Ultrasound Device, Olay Cleansing Brush, Neck Line Slimmer. Retin-A, MUAC peels, and taking beauty supplements. Botox eyebrow lift and HG lip products are Too Faced.
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:10 am      Reply with quote
I agree that I dought its fake. Irritation from retin-a has a way of sneaking up on you sometimes.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:10 am      Reply with quote
echoecho wrote:
When you purchase Retin-A your essentially buying Retinoic acid as it is the most affective form of retinol so as long as thats listed as the active then your getting the real deal Smile

Actually, that's not necessarily true. Some companies are very good at forging other products so that you can hardly tell the difference.

But regarding the original post, inhousepharmacy is pretty reliable. I doubt they would be selling fakes online, especially if they are a pharmacy. As for your lack of peeling, you should see it as a good thing. Many people peel and get very irritated skin and are often put off by it and stop using Retin-A. Your lack of peeling just means your skin is liking it and doesn't need anything else. You should only consider switching to a stronger one if you don't see any improvement in your lines
jhillo
5% products discount

Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:25 am      Reply with quote
How would you describe the smell? Mine smells a bit like "medicine cream". I don't know how to describe it. I'm kind of scared that I'm putting on some fake stuff that might harm my skin. Confused
echoecho
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:17 pm      Reply with quote
oasisjc wrote:
echoecho wrote:

Actually, that's not necessarily true. Some companies are very good at forging other products so that you can hardly tell the difference.

But regarding the original post, inhousepharmacy is pretty reliable. I doubt they would be selling fakes online, especially if they are a pharmacy. As for your lack of peeling, you should see it as a good thing. Many people peel and get very irritated skin and are often put off by it and stop using Retin-A. Your lack of peeling just means your skin is liking it and doesn't need anything else. You should only consider switching to a stronger one if you don't see any improvement in your lines

I dont see an improvement in my lines, so your probably right, it's time to switch it up a little.

AGE: 25. Some laxity, fine lines, rosacea, and crepey skin. USING: Tripollar STOP, Lightstim, Slendertone Face, Microcurrent Wand, Almighty Ultrasound Device, Olay Cleansing Brush, Neck Line Slimmer. Retin-A, MUAC peels, and taking beauty supplements. Botox eyebrow lift and HG lip products are Too Faced.
tinali0202
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:28 pm      Reply with quote
echoecho wrote:
oasisjc wrote:
echoecho wrote:

I dont see an improvement in my lines, so your probably right, it's time to switch it up a little.

it is not easy to get the improvement even it is a real one..... thngs is not easy to change
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:32 pm      Reply with quote
tinali0202 wrote:

it is not easy to get the improvement even it is a real one..... thngs is not easy to change

Yeah, I was going to add that it may take up to 1-2 years to see any real results. As long as your skin isn't getting WORSE, then you can keep using what you're using.
fongflyer5
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:29 am      Reply with quote
I don't think it's a fake either. The colour/ texture is consistent and the active ingredient should state Tretinoin. As you have already been using tretinoin for a long period of time your skin has acclimate, and therefore you are seeing less of the harsh side effects. I noticed with my skin that I stopped reacting to Retin A after a few months. My skin became more resilient and it was only when I increased to strength did I start to get all the peeling,flaking and redness again. I didn't find that increasing the strength increased the overall results. The lower strength .05% was just as effective.
GreenThumb

Fri May 27, 2016 7:09 pm      Reply with quote
jhillo, How did it turn out with your Retin-A? Still no skin reaction?

I ordered some Retin-A off ebay from England. Packaging, tube and paper information look real. But I've been waiting for the usual redness that develops from previously using Retin-A. Still nothing. That is why I suspect that I might have some counterfeit Retin-A. Might have to order from Mexico instead.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:16 pm      Reply with quote
jhillo wrote:

Would it be okay to post a picture of the packaging? I'm curious.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:16 pm      Reply with quote
Glamcat wrote:
If the active ingredient is Tretinoin it should be the real deal - Retin-A does have a pearlish tone and a slight smell, I'm not a fan of the smell, I find it really off-putting.

You may just have quite resilient skin and need a higher strength. I have a friend who was using the same strength as me - she was using it all over her face every night and it took a whole month before she got any peeling. Me on the other hand, I just use a tiny dab on a zit and I have major peeling for several days! Everyone is different.

I agree!
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:17 pm      Reply with quote
GreenThumb wrote:
jhillo, How did it turn out with your Retin-A? Still no skin reaction?

I ordered some Retin-A off ebay from England. Packaging, tube and paper information look real. But I've been waiting for the usual redness that develops from previously using Retin-A. Still nothing. That is why I suspect that I might have some counterfeit Retin-A. Might have to order from Mexico instead.

I also would like to know how things are coming along.

Can you post a picture of the packing of your retin-a?
Misslelith

Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:05 am      Reply with quote
Hi I have just received some tretinoin 0.05% via eBay uk; I previously bought some from in house pharmacy but was a bit suspicious as the card got defrauded some how and wondered if it was them, but could have been a coincidence. I've tried to check this is genuine by checking out the outer packaging and tube nos correspond,which they do. I'll try it and let you know
Nikkol
5% products discount

Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:27 am      Reply with quote
jhillo wrote:
No peeling, flaking or sheddimg for me, here either.
Laura72
5% products discount

Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:48 am      Reply with quote
My friend recently bought fake Retin-A on Ebay. The Retin-A smells and looks the same but I don't think it is doing much, her skin (my skin too) is peeling and burning but there is no 'glow' - I have been using Retin A for 3 years so I know what to expect.

I used both retino-A and Retin-A from http://www.datemio.net/choose_nonc.php?q=Retin-A (the website I buy it from) which the later i got from online pharmacy. There is no different for me and I pretty sure Retino-A is also the real stuff.
NathanParson

Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:29 am      Reply with quote
If the cream does not cause any slight burning sensation, then indeed, it is most likely a fake. Yet without this, in fact, acid is not acid at all.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:42 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |