Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
Help with hair thinning due to menopause?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Mariav
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:43 am      Reply with quote
I am on the "other side" of menopause now...at 48 I'm done with most of the symptoms with a residual hot flash here and there...I didn't go the hormone route - though I did try Tri-Est for a short amount of time, but it didn't agree with me. (I was even more cranky, moody, etc.) Birth control pills and I never got along either, so I'm not surprised. My body doesn't like hormones! Sad

I can live with any of the side effects that come with menopause - including weight gain (though I am working on that) but my hair is thinning so much it's driving me crazy... I have thin hair to begin with and to see it getting thinner is really getting me down.

Is there ANYTHING that helps hormone-related thinning hair? I have heard that natural progesterone cream may help..but that means I'd be back to trying hormones.. I don't really want to go the Rogaine route either..

Thanks so much.

oxMaria

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:05 pm      Reply with quote
Mariav wrote:

Is there ANYTHING that helps hormone-related thinning hair? I have heard that natural progesterone cream may help..but that means I'd be back to trying hormones.. I don't really want to go the Rogaine route either.
oxMaria

You don't want to use the two things that would reverse it. There is a chance that you are hypothyroid so see an endocrinologist. Otherwise, Raquel Welch makes some lovely wigs that she wears herself, and hats are very stylish now.
Hermosa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:52 am      Reply with quote
First, you want to have blood work done to make sure nothing obvious is out of sync.

I have been seeing references to mixing tretinoin (retin-A) with minoxidil to achieve outstanding results. See, for example, http://www.follicle.com/section3/4_3.html

Also, there are vitamins and supplements that you can take to help your hair. Different things seem to work for different people, but you might want to try biotin, EFAs, the whole B spectrum, and of course make sure you have a good diet.

Some women swear by various shampoos -- nioxin, for example. Folica.com has lots of products for hair, including a few that disguise hair loss.

Thinning hair is extremely common as we age (I never paid attention until I noticed it in myself and then realized that my mom's hair had gotten a lot thinner!) but I am also seeing many young women, even in their 20s, with hair issues. So you are not alone!
Glamcat
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:30 am      Reply with quote
Read up everything you can on Iodine supplementation.

I had to take Synarel for 6 months to shrink a massive fibroid tumour and the results were not pretty - it thrust me into severe temporary menopause - half my hair fell out, half my eyelashes fell out as did my eyebrows and the skin on the face shrivelled-up like a prune! It was a good look at 38! NOT!!!!

Anyhoo, I do digress lol but then I started reading about Iodine and I experimented with Lugol's first and then Iodoral and both of them work equally well for me. The secret is to just try a little at first to make sure it's not going to have any adverse effects. I was fine with it.

The first things I noticed taking Iodine was that my energy levels shot through the roof, feelings of melancholy disappeared, my brain was just ON - no foggy feeling, and I'm sure my IQ shot up 20 points lol Laughing my hormones settled down and my hair started growing back! Very Happy Now I wont go without the stuff! I do take a break a couple of days a week to allow my body to flush out any extra if it needs to.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:50 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |