Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Using retin a for 4 weeks
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
flick24
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:05 am      Reply with quote
Hi I've been using retin a for around 4/5 weeks I started slowly twice a week and have now started using it every other night using vit c on the other nights.

When I started to use it I had a stubborn spot on my jaw/cheek area and its still there now I know it takes a while to see results but I expected the retin a to have taken care of a spot by now, I have had some slight peeling(skin coured no redness) but only around my chin and jaw area no where else I don't understand why the rest of my face is showing no reaction at all

any ideas is it working ?
echoecho
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:54 pm      Reply with quote
Different people have different reactions to Retin-A it's also never given me any peeling except for a little bit around the jaw area (I am on the 0.5% strength).

Quite a few people experience allot of redness and peeling where as some experience none of that. It's still working it's just not showing the negative side affects so far.

Although that does sound like one persistent spot you have there. Maybe a peel focused directly on the spot would help?

AGE: 25. Some laxity, fine lines, rosacea, and crepey skin. USING: Tripollar STOP, Lightstim, Slendertone Face, Microcurrent Wand, Almighty Ultrasound Device, Olay Cleansing Brush, Neck Line Slimmer. Retin-A, MUAC peels, and taking beauty supplements. Botox eyebrow lift and HG lip products are Too Faced.
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:42 am      Reply with quote
It can generally take 6-12 months of using retin a before there are noticeable differences -- particularly if using it for anti-aging purposes.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:49 pm      Reply with quote
I've been using tretinoin for about 10 months and I've still got some mild hyperpigmentation on my chin & cheeks from either old zits or sun, I guess. The ones on my cheeks are much, much lighter than they once were. My chin, I'm not so sure.

So I'm going to try acids next. Are these supposed to work, or are there some discolorations that just won't go?

Also, I'm on the .04, whatever that one is, from All Day Chemist, and it dries really quickly - too quickly to spread around in time! What do you suggest I mix it with to help with the consistency - should I just wet my face or will aloe be ok? I don't usually use a moisturizer. Thanks!

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:36 pm      Reply with quote
LoriA wrote:
I've been using tretinoin for about 10 months and I've still got some mild hyperpigmentation on my chin & cheeks from either old zits or sun, I guess. The ones on my cheeks are much, much lighter than they once were. My chin, I'm not so sure.

So I'm going to try acids next. Are these supposed to work, or are there some discolorations that just won't go?

Also, I'm on the .04, whatever that one is, from All Day Chemist, and it dries really quickly - too quickly to spread around in time! What do you suggest I mix it with to help with the consistency - should I just wet my face or will aloe be ok? I don't usually use a moisturizer. Thanks!

You should still stick with Retin-A even though you're not seeing the improvements you were expecting. Sun damage and scar tissue takes a long time to become fully repaired. You don't see sun damage/scar formation overnight, so don't expect the reversal to be any different. It takes a loooonnngggg time, so if you see any improvement at all, keep at it.

Acids may help speed up the process. Apparently, Retin-A doesn't really exfoliate, so using an acid is still necessary. Just don't use it together - use one on one night, and the other for another night.

I think the 0.04 is the micro formulation? Instead of getting the whole pea size and dotting it all over the face, get just enough for a section of your face so you don't have to rush to another part of your face after you've dotted it. I wouldn't apply it with water or anything because that affects the acid mantle on your skin, which may cause irritation when you apply the Retin-A. This is why we need to wait at least 20 minutes after washing the face so that the acid mantle can repair and embrace itself for the Retin-A. Applying aloe would also have a similar effect, and it may decrease the efficacy of the Retin-A as it works best by itself, which is why we wait 30mins-1hr before applying the next part of your skincare
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:36 am      Reply with quote
Thanks! Tretinoin's doing loads of things for my skin, so I'm definitely not considering going off it. Just wondering if there are some marks that NEVER fade, even with peels or retin-a. I'd already tried hydroquinone on and off, which helped a lot with the cheeks.

And doing my face in sections is taking more like 3 pea sized amounts due to the drying. Its .04% so the rest of it is already filler anyway so I'm wondering what could be safe to mix it with?

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
Bermie2
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:33 am      Reply with quote
I also started using Retin A about 2-3 weeks ago. I am using it every night! It is only 0.25%, I wanted to start low. I have dry skin and I thought I would have problems but so far none. I had a few larger pores on my nose, and I am quite amazed how small they are now. I wasn't expecting any results so quick. I am even using it around my eyes with good results.

I have also bought some 0.5% for the future. I feel a little dry immediately after applying the Retin A and I add some moisturiser after about 30-40 mins.

Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:53 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |