Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Overbuilds with facial exercise
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
dickymoe
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:37 am      Reply with quote
I have been reading facial muscle charts and all the muscles seem to connect at some point so if you have a overbuild how would you identify the exercise that caused the overbuild?
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:53 am      Reply with quote
What do you mean by overbuild? Do you mean the muscles overlay rather than connect? Or that the tendons connect?

I work in physical activity, so body muscles rather than facial! It's generally very difficult to isolate individual muscles: movements are the result of a highly complex chain of events, muscles working synergistically and in opposition. One exercise is not sufficient to tax all parts of a given muscle, so you may struggle to identify a single culprit. Correcting imbalances involves changing patterns of movement - concentrating on the fine detail of technique not the gross result - or concentrating on doing exercises that you know to be your weakness. With the body you can temporarily weaken a muscle by stretching it or relaxing it (massage or SMR), you might do a stretch immediately preceding your facial routine.

HTH in some way. Confused

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
echoecho
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:13 am      Reply with quote
Are you speaking in terms of the face or body?

AGE: 25. Some laxity, fine lines, rosacea, and crepey skin. USING: Tripollar STOP, Lightstim, Slendertone Face, Microcurrent Wand, Almighty Ultrasound Device, Olay Cleansing Brush, Neck Line Slimmer. Retin-A, MUAC peels, and taking beauty supplements. Botox eyebrow lift and HG lip products are Too Faced.
dickymoe
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:25 am      Reply with quote
Hi
For facial excercises.
echoecho
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:30 am      Reply with quote
dickymoe wrote:
Hi
For facial excercises.

I have actually noticed that in the diagrams, they are all connected to one another, I dont do manual facial exercises instead using a microcurrent machine (which I'm currently taking a break from) which exercises all the muscles at the same time meaning there is no risk of overbuilding. This is definitely an important question though and am also interested to hear any answers to this.

AGE: 25. Some laxity, fine lines, rosacea, and crepey skin. USING: Tripollar STOP, Lightstim, Slendertone Face, Microcurrent Wand, Almighty Ultrasound Device, Olay Cleansing Brush, Neck Line Slimmer. Retin-A, MUAC peels, and taking beauty supplements. Botox eyebrow lift and HG lip products are Too Faced.
ATester
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:22 pm      Reply with quote
If it helps any, I found overbuild on mouth area, only, in an unpleasant way, not just lips but whole area seemed to beef up. Cut down on ex. in that area and no problem. Is that what you're asking? I would love to overbuild on my upper eyelid area, and see it firm!! But it just seems to stay slightly saggy as usual, ...
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:04 pm      Reply with quote
Some helpful soul has uploaded basic Gray's Anatomy (medical text not TV series) diagrams and descriptions to Wikipedia. This includes the origin, insertion and action of each muscle: hopefully this will assist you in understanding the muscles do not interconnect.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facial_muscles

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
echoecho
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:25 pm      Reply with quote
Firefox7275 wrote:
Some helpful soul has uploaded basic Gray's Anatomy (medical text not TV series) diagrams and descriptions to Wikipedia. This includes the origin, insertion and action of each muscle: hopefully this will assist you in understanding the muscles do not interconnect.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facial_muscles

I though you were talking about the tv series and had to re-read Laughing Atester, Ive had luck in the eyebrow area through use of microcurrent devices, I have given the rest of my face a break but am still using these devices for that area.

Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:45 pm      Reply with quote
echoecho wrote:

I though you were talking about the tv series and had to re-read Laughing

Laughing As I was typing I knew that would happen!! Can you believe
"The British anatomist Henry Gray was born in 1827. He studied the development of the endocrine glands and spleen and in 1853 was appointed Lecturer on Anatomy at St George's Hospital Medical School in London. In 1855 he approached his colleague Henry Vandyke Carter with his idea to produce an inexpensive and accessible anatomy textbook for medical students. Dissecting unclaimed bodies from workhouse and hospital mortuaries through the Anatomy Act of 1832, the two worked for 18 months on what would form the basis of the book. Gray's death came just three years after the publication of his Anatomy Descriptive and Surgical. The first two editions were published in England by J.W. Parker, in 1858[2] and 1860."
Yet more 3am Wikipedia. Embarassed

echoecho
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:24 pm      Reply with quote
Firefox7275 wrote:
echoecho wrote:

I though you were talking about the tv series and had to re-read Laughing

Laughing As I was typing I knew that would happen!! Can you believe
"The British anatomist Henry Gray was born in 1827. He studied the development of the endocrine glands and spleen and in 1853 was appointed Lecturer on Anatomy at St George's Hospital Medical School in London. In 1855 he approached his colleague Henry Vandyke Carter with his idea to produce an inexpensive and accessible anatomy textbook for medical students. Dissecting unclaimed bodies from workhouse and hospital mortuaries through the Anatomy Act of 1832, the two worked for 18 months on what would form the basis of the book. Gray's death came just three years after the publication of his Anatomy Descriptive and Surgical. The first two editions were published in England by J.W. Parker, in 1858[2] and 1860."
Yet more 3am Wikipedia. Embarassed

That's actually very interesting and isnt about Grays Anatomy Razz

Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:53 pm      Reply with quote
echoecho wrote:

That's actually very interesting and isnt about Grays Anatomy Razz

Bad Grin Neither is this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB4qS-uQ5xA&feature=related

echoecho
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:11 pm      Reply with quote
Laughing

echoecho
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:54 am      Reply with quote
It didn't actually occur to me until a few minutes ago to mention my recent overbuild. I overbuilt the area right next to my nose, it looks like the nasioble folds have actually elongated and there is an indent on either side of the nose. I have been instructed by a rather helpful member of this forum to give my face some time off but it just looks ugly, will be reassesing my face in one month. Not to sure faciacize is for me after this bout of the uglies.

ATester
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:55 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
Atester, Ive had luck in the eyebrow area through use of microcurrent devices, I have given the rest of my face a break but am still using these devices for that area.

But I seem to read on your signature that you have botox treatment to eyebrows, does that make no difference? So I may use a micro-current device to lift my upper eyelids? I'm currently using Derma Wand, and Antiaging Lightstim, plus facial exercises.
TIA, A.
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:42 pm      Reply with quote
dickymoe wrote:
I have been reading facial muscle charts and all the muscles seem to connect at some point so if you have a overbuild how would you identify the exercise that caused the overbuild?

Hi Dickymoe:

I think the question of how do you know which exercise caused the overbuild is so tricky simply because as echoecho stated, the muscles are interconnected. It is why I have never bothered to learn what muscles are actually targeted by what exercise but instead just prefer to leave that to the experts who have done their research and designed the programs to guide me. This is why I think it's best when doing a program to keep in touch with the author of the program so they can guide you and help you ID what exercises you need to back up from.

Another thing to consider is muscles are attached to each other so a tone in one and not one attached to it may also lead to an awkward appearance as the toned one pulls on the weaker one. I also do thing mixing and matching programs instead of doing each in its entirety can cause problems. I know many prefer to pick a few from her, a few from there, but I just fear that it's easy to work a muscle with an exercise from one program while working one area, and then inadvertently work the same muscle again when using another exercise from another program that happens to also work that area in addition to the different one you think you're working. I just feel every instructor understands their program best and knows why they have the exercises they have and not others. So I do think doing complete programs as directed (even if you do more than one) rather than mixing parts may be one way to avoid problems, as can communicating with the author of the program and sharing what's going on so you can get direction on how to rectify the problem.

It is true stopping an exercise can help, but w/o knowing which one to stop you cannot be sure you'll pick the one that caused you the overbuild in the first place. If it's using a gadget that is only worked one way, that's easy coz you'd just stop using it. But when it comes to programs with many exercises for different parts, I say ask the author of the program for advice on how to proceed.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:35 am      Reply with quote
Ok well my understanding is that overbuilding happens when one muscle responds very very fast compared to the other muscles and bulks up. I’ve had it several times in the past, but thankfully now no longer and I truly believe that its possible to get overbuild with anything. I think it is one of those things that you have to go through when you do facial exercises, but its not a permanent thing. When I have overbuilt its been my lips and jowls. The jowls area gets quite firm and hard to the touch. All you do when that happens is stop everything for about two weeks. That’s my experience – but I have heard others are different. Likewise even if you were to use one program, there’s no guarantee that you won’t get overbuild (and EDS has the proof that its possible). I also think its kind of interesting when you learn about your own face and which parts are already very good and healthy and which parts aren’t so, and then you can correct them. Sorry my answers not scientific or doctorish in appearance but I hope it helps!
dickymoe
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:24 am      Reply with quote
I am not experiencing any overbuilds. I am just curious and want to learn as much as I can.
echoecho
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:49 pm      Reply with quote
Will the overbuild go away? I would like to be reassured Embarassed Atester, I havent had botox for the eyebrows since three months ago it just kept wearing off more quickly, my signature really needs to be amended mind you though the toning is doing allot more for that part of the face than the botox did.

TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:45 am      Reply with quote
I've had overbuild and its always gone away. Not sure re the others here, but hopefully they'll let you know.
echoecho wrote:
Will the overbuild go away? I would like to be reassured Embarassed Atester, I havent had botox for the eyebrows since three months ago it just kept wearing off more quickly, my signature really needs to be amended mind you though the toning is doing allot more for that part of the face than the botox did.
echoecho
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:50 am      Reply with quote
TheresaMary wrote:
I've had overbuild and its always gone away. Not sure re the others here, but hopefully they'll let you know.
echoecho wrote:

Thankyou TheresaMary I figured that would be the case with muscles, if you dont exercise them then they loose the tone but am also worried because it was microcurrent devices I was using.

On the upside they obviously work for other people, but they have ruined my face.

lawmom
5% products discount

Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:17 pm      Reply with quote
echoecho wrote:
I overbuilt the area right next to my nose, it looks like the nasioble folds have actually elongated and there is an indent on either side of the nose. I have been instructed by a rather helpful member of this forum to give my face some time off but it just looks ugly,

ATester wrote:
If it helps any, I found overbuild on mouth area, only, in an unpleasant way, not just lips but whole area seemed to beef up.

echoecho and ATester, which programs were you using that caused you problems?
echoecho
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:19 pm      Reply with quote
lawmom wrote:
echoecho wrote:
I overbuilt the area right next to my nose, it looks like the nasioble folds have actually elongated and there is an indent on either side of the nose. I have been instructed by a rather helpful member of this forum to give my face some time off but it just looks ugly,

ATester wrote:
If it helps any, I found overbuild on mouth area, only, in an unpleasant way, not just lips but whole area seemed to beef up.

I was using various microcurrent devices like facemaster, sleek cheeks, slendertone face, etc.

ATester
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:49 pm      Reply with quote
echoecho wrote:

Hi echoecho, sure, the overbuild goes away, depending on the individual it will be sooner or later, in any case you seem very young from my point of view (43 y/o) to be worried about exercising facial muscles, unless you're maybe targeting some specific problem. But yes, just let the muscles rest and whatever result you've had that you don't like will gradually fade. Not that I'm any expert though!! Smile Just my own experience with some overbuild in the past.
ATester
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:01 pm      Reply with quote
lawmom wrote:
echoecho wrote:

ATester wrote:

Hi lawmom, it happened to me with Flexeffect, right from the begining I overbuilt the muscles around the mouth, apparently because they were really strong,... I personally had to cut back drastically on exercising that area as the appearance was not good with that overbuild.I had to tailor the programme by seeing what exercises suited my face and which not,... since then I've used other programmes so I try to make use of the exercises of whatever programme I prefer for certain areas.
echoecho
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:34 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, ill try to remain waiting it out: )

ATester wrote:
echoecho wrote:

Hi echoecho, sure, the overbuild goes away, depending on the individual it will be sooner or later, in any case you seem very young from my point of view (43 y/o) to be worried about exercising facial muscles, unless you're maybe targeting some specific problem. But yes, just let the muscles rest and whatever result you've had that you don't like will gradually fade. Not that I'm any expert though!! Smile Just my own experience with some overbuild in the past.

System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:33 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |