Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Shira Nutriburst Clear Skin Relief Power Duo (40 ml) Cosmedix Serum 16 (30 ml / 1 floz) HydroPeptide Anti-Wrinkle Power Luxe (30 ml / 1 floz)
Juicing for Skin
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Chlorophyll
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:41 pm      Reply with quote
I don't like to talk about my juicing on the web because it usually ends up starting a heated debated. (By the look of it, there has already been some disagreement here in prior years. :P )

But since the subject has been brought up....I like to juice! There is absolutely no way I would be able to fit so many servings of vegetables into my diet without juice and smoothies. The juices seem to have a larger impact on my energy level, and I think it's because there are so many micronutrients packed into such a small surface area.

I think the important thing is for people to get as many servings of fruit and veggies into their bodies as they can. It shouldn't really matter how they get in there. Your digestive system is going to break everything down anyway. What does it matter if you eat them whole, blend them, or juice them? The point is just to get healthier, dang it!
10Sylvia5
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:58 pm      Reply with quote
hey thats just what i thought, and was giving juices to my kids until the dentist told me I was causing major decay to their teeth!!
You just cant win Rolling Eyes

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:38 pm      Reply with quote
Not that I have a reason to distrust your dentist....but it seems like they give every fruit a bad rap except maybe strawberries. I understand that the concentrated sugar content isn't favorable, but do you think it's better to give a child carrot juice or a candy bar? Laughing If you eat right and teach your children to eat right you are doing a good deed. I really don't care who juices and who blends (I do both) as long as everyone is eating & sipping more healthfully then I'm happy. If you're concerned about possible dental issues, then just give them smoothies or raw fruit. The more plant material in their diet, the better.
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:13 pm      Reply with quote
gretchen wrote:
If juicing is your thing, you should use a Vitamix to get the fiber also; otherwise, you're drinking a glass of PUFA. At least that's what I've read....

Green juice is very high in oxalates and various other anti-nutrients. I wouldn't drink something like kale or spinach juice, for ex.

I've recently just read that beta carotene is linked to increased UV damage, so no to carrot juice also:

http://peatarian.com/?qa=7123/does-beta-carotene-increase-damage-from-sun-exposure

Actually, more studies than the opposite, have found that carotenes are linked to lower UV damage. I wouldn't trust that article, as it only cites a single research article, and there are so many different variables, including dosage. I would go to PubMed to see what the actual scientific consensus is.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:09 pm      Reply with quote
10Sylvia5 wrote:
hey thats just what i thought, and was giving juices to my kids until the dentist told me I was causing major decay to their teeth!!
You just cant win Rolling Eyes

I was told this as well. Apparently the juice is a major contributor to cavities between the teeth. I started to encourage my son to drink some water after the juice to rinse his mouth. But I'd much rather have him drink juice than soda!
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:54 pm      Reply with quote
cm5597 wrote:
gretchen wrote:
If juicing is your thing, you should use a Vitamix to get the fiber also; otherwise, you're drinking a glass of PUFA. At least that's what I've read....

Green juice is very high in oxalates and various other anti-nutrients. I wouldn't drink something like kale or spinach juice, for ex.

I've recently just read that beta carotene is linked to increased UV damage, so no to carrot juice also:

http://peatarian.com/?qa=7123/does-beta-carotene-increase-damage-from-sun-exposure

Actually, more studies than the opposite, have found that carotenes are linked to lower UV damage. I wouldn't trust that article, as it only cites a single research article, and there are so many different variables, including dosage. I would go to PubMed to see what the actual scientific consensus is.

Ray Peat says beta carotene acts in the same way as PUFAs to increase damage from the sun:
(from the above link)

Then I asked "Beta-carotene has the same effect as PUFA in increasing the damage from the sun, correct?" He responded:

Yes, it interacts with excited electrons the way other unsaturated
molecules do.
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:03 pm      Reply with quote
I assume he means from the conversion of beta-carotene to retinol, yes?

Ray Peat only cites a single in vitro study to support his argument, which contradicts other research, including epidemiological research.

Also, the study that he cited is actually flawed and not rigorous. What I mean is notice that the authors measured the activity of heme oxygenase 1, an enzyme that is activated in the presence of increased cellular stress. The problem is that the authors do not actually measure cellular stress or a marker of cellular damage (e.g., ROS). As it turns out, heme oxygenase 1 acts in an inflammatory manner (see http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11875494, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22087023, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23266284).
In fact, this paper on stem cells found that cells lacking heme oxygenase-1 have increased oxidative stress (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22034921), and this paper here reports that the beneficial effects of curcumin, the much-touted beneficial compound from tumeric, activates heme oxygenase-1 in normal human skin fibroblasts (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20938987). What happens is that HO-1 activates glutathione-S-transferase activity downstream, resulting in increased resistance to oxidative stress. So the paper Ray cited is flawed in that it is incomplete...the authors would have also needed to measure another marker such as GSH, or NOx, etc.

So increases in the enzyme HO-1 most likely mean that beta-carotene is actually enhancing the body's innate anti-inflammatory again UV damage, not the opposite.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:29 pm      Reply with quote
cm5597 wrote:
I assume he means from the conversion of beta-carotene to retinol, yes?

Ray Peat only cites a single in vitro study to support his argument, which contradicts other research, including epidemiological research.

Also, the study that he cited is actually flawed and not rigorous. What I mean is notice that the authors measured the activity of heme oxygenase 1, an enzyme that is activated in the presence of increased cellular stress. The problem is that the authors do not actually measure cellular stress or a marker of cellular damage (e.g., ROS). As it turns out, heme oxygenase 1 acts in an inflammatory manner (see http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11875494, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22087023, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23266284).
In fact, this paper on stem cells found that cells lacking heme oxygenase-1 have increased oxidative stress (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22034921), and this paper here reports that the beneficial effects of curcumin, the much-touted beneficial compound from tumeric, activates heme oxygenase-1 in normal human skin fibroblasts (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20938987). What happens is that HO-1 activates glutathione-S-transferase activity downstream, resulting in increased resistance to oxidative stress. So the paper Ray cited is flawed in that it is incomplete...the authors would have also needed to measure another marker such as GSH, or NOx, etc.

So increases in the enzyme HO-1 most likely mean that beta-carotene is actually enhancing the body's innate anti-inflammatory again UV damage, not the opposite.

Yes, Ray says he avoids carotene because it, like excessive doses of vitamin A, can block thyroid and steroid hormone production (scroll down to "vitamin A/dandruff/acne"):
http://peatarian.com/?qa=private-corresponding#42%29
System
Automatic Message
Mon May 06, 2024 7:31 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) DeVita Solar Protect SPF 30 with Aloe-Hyplex (50 ml / 1.7 oz) Phytomer Pionniere XMF Perfection Youth Cream (50 ml / 1.6 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |