Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Only want PROVEN anti-aging products
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Flavia
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:58 am      Reply with quote
I want to establish a skincare regimen for my 58-year-old skin, but I only want products that have solid research behind them. Is there a recent discussion thread on this? I'm burning out over all the choices and claims. I'm using Retin A because it's proven to work. And I don't mean that you've proven it to work. I'm talking serious research. Wink
flgirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:01 am      Reply with quote
Well...what are you wanting the product to do? Besides making you look 20 again lol Wink kidding
Flavia
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:06 am      Reply with quote
Well...hopefully, not clean out my wallet while clogging up my pores. Shock
flgirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:14 am      Reply with quote
I hear ya there Wink Well I don't know what type of skin problems you have. There's a lot of science behind peptides but not everyone thinks they do something. To me, it's one of the most promising products on the market. There's so much information it can make your head spin and can be a bit scary at first unless you know everything.

I'm no expert but I don't think there are too many products like Retin A out there that can promise results and are proven or we'd all have just a few products in our drawer instead of the empty wallet as you mentioned Wink

Have you looked into Copper Peptides...specifically those from Skin Biology? Its pretty amazing the results people have had from them. There's a huge long thread available if you have about 8 hrs of time to spare reading it lol
Flavia
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:35 am      Reply with quote
I'm blessed with good skin genes. My main complaint is a slight sagging around the mouth. I read that CPs can help with that but I don't know if that's hype or truly works.

Also, I was using C serum based on one of Kassy's recipes, but I didn't see any results after a few months. Actually, I don't see much with the Retin A, but that may be because my skin was pretty nice to begin with. I may give the C another shot, or would that be overkill with the CPs?
flgirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:39 am      Reply with quote
I am not an expert on CPs so I'll save that question for someone else. I've just dabbled in learning about them.

I'm sure you've read about facial exercises, it's been all over this board lately. Seems to help many with facial sagging.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:44 pm      Reply with quote
Flavia wrote:
I want to establish a skincare regimen for my 58-year-old skin, but I only want products that have solid research behind them. Is there a recent discussion thread on this? I'm burning out over all the choices and claims. I'm using Retin A because it's proven to work. And I don't mean that you've proven it to work. I'm talking serious research. Wink

No recent discussions, I am afraid, Flavia. Retin A is still the most proven. There are studies on AHA's, a few on C (for building collagen) and of course sunscreen daily. Those should be the staples. There are some studies on peptides, but most of them are from the manufacturer of the ingredient (talking about things like matrixyl, etc). There have been several ladies on this forum who have reported a tightening effect with the copper peptides. They are inexpensive enough to try them out. If you have good skin already, you will likely not see much of a change. However, the proven ingredients are working in the deeper layers of your skin, so you will age "better". Also remember that the ingredients like Retin A (and copper peptides) can take up to 1 year to show the best results.

ETA: Smartskincare is an excellent place to get information on ingredients.
Flavia
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:48 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, Riley. You've confirmed what I've been thinking. I'm staying with the Retin A after using it for a year. The C I will start using again. I have been doing some simple facial exercises. That really has picked up the corners of my mouth.

Can you narrow down the AHAs to some choices I should be looking at?
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:07 pm      Reply with quote
Flavia wrote:

I have heard good talk on the Walgreens AHA. I think that one has a red/black label on it? Not sure. I am using lactic acid in the form of Lactic Power 10 from Skinbiology. I like it, plus it has other good ingredients in it. Otherwise, the best (in my opinion only) are the MD Forte creams.
NotMeNotYou
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:22 pm      Reply with quote
Of course the issue is that no product can reverse what's going on in your body, or even really slow it down very much. Skin care companies sell us dreams not solutions. I don't use any of the proven ingredients and I'm doingok.whatever I do use on my skin, I do so without expecting anything more than me feeling good about using it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:36 pm      Reply with quote
You should definitly have a look at the Smart Skin Care website for the list of proven anti-aging ingredients but the following have the most scientific backing behind them:

Alpha Hydroxy Acids
Retinoids
Vitamin C
Copper Peptides

I add a few other favorite actives onto that list but the list above is generally what every anti-aging skin care regime should include, anything after that should be an add on.

AGE: 25. Some laxity, fine lines, rosacea, and crepey skin. USING: Tripollar STOP, Lightstim, Slendertone Face, Microcurrent Wand, Almighty Ultrasound Device, Olay Cleansing Brush, Neck Line Slimmer. Retin-A, MUAC peels, and taking beauty supplements. Botox eyebrow lift and HG lip products are Too Faced.
Glamcat
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:53 am      Reply with quote
Yep I was just gonna add what a few of the other ladies have already added:

Retin-A
AHA/Glycolic Acid
Vitamin C
Copper Peptides

I think most other things are just fluff to lighten your wallet Laughing

I read something recently that was saying a lot of the other peptides dont do a whole lot but make the skin tough so it's creating artificial firmness - or something along those lines but I cant recall where I read it - if I remember I'll link it.
echoecho
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:57 am      Reply with quote
I would be interested in seeing that article Glamcat, please post it if you manage to find it.

AGE: 25. Some laxity, fine lines, rosacea, and crepey skin. USING: Tripollar STOP, Lightstim, Slendertone Face, Microcurrent Wand, Almighty Ultrasound Device, Olay Cleansing Brush, Neck Line Slimmer. Retin-A, MUAC peels, and taking beauty supplements. Botox eyebrow lift and HG lip products are Too Faced.
Glamcat
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:00 am      Reply with quote
Yeah will try to find it -- I often read so many skin related articles I totally lose track and it wont be in my history as I just did a rebuild... Sad lol
echoecho
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:11 am      Reply with quote
Glamcat wrote:
Yeah will try to find it -- I often read so many skin related articles I totally lose track and it wont be in my history as I just did a rebuild... Sad lol

Dont worry, i'm just as bad, if not worse... I wouldnt be able to find it even if it was in my history Razz

salster68
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:31 am      Reply with quote
Hi I read this thread with a lot of interest. I am desperate to put together a skincare routine. All i seem to be doing is reading over and over but not gavctually getting started.

My concerns are crepey under eye problems, lines (like pucker lines) around my lips, crows feet and to improve the elasticity and skin complexion overall.

I am thinking one thing i should get is retin a but know that i shall have to start off slowly and not everyday etc.

what else to get is beyond me. My thoughts have been a vitamin c serum, a face moisturiser and eye cream. im struggling with what face cream to go with and eye cream. i do find my under eye is quite crepy and wrinkly (and crows feet but under eye seeming the worse) so i would like a really good eye cream to use day and night. i also would like to improve my skin but again dont know which face cream to try for day and night use. Plee could anyone give me suggestions. Also do i put anything over the retin a at night.
As i dont have a pc at home if i dont reply straight away it is because i have to wait until i get chance of a laptop at work so please dont think i am rude

Many thanks

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:38 am      Reply with quote
salster68,
Have you looked at Nanci's DNA serum?? It is wonderful for under the eyes....it is intended for the whole face and neck but my under eye area has been transformed with it. Wink

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:40 am      Reply with quote
sorry i did read thay glycolic was also good. should i think about creams with glycolic in or glycolic peels ets to add too? I am guessing I am best to definately add Retin A?? I was going to order retin a online and it works out cheaper to buy more than one tube so i was wondering if i buy two at two different strengths and was wondering which two i should go with. Would be grateful for any help with my skincare

Thanks

5% products discount

Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:14 am      Reply with quote
Toby wrote:
salster68,
Have you looked at Nanci's DNA serum?? It is wonderful for under the eyes....it is intended for the whole face and neck but my under eye area has been transformed with it. Wink

Im also test driving Nanci's DNA serum under my eyes area ( I also use C serum/CP/ retin A micro )

Toby , you think adding 1% of vitamin K to Nanci's serum could even improve our results? Yesterday I put some in a tinny glass bottle and Im gonna try it.
Flavia
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:40 am      Reply with quote
Salster, I, too, have been overwhelmed by info which is why I started this topic. You may want to read the long article I found and posted here on Retin A.
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=6438597#6438597

After using .025 cream for a year, I think I'm going to get the micro gel .04 since it is time released and easier on the skin (per that article). I ordered from All Day Chemist last year with no problems. The brand for the micro gel is Sun Pharma. Is there any reason to suspect it isn't genuine? I've never had a problem with spam or credit card theft from ADC as others have, but today, I will be buying a refillable credit card just to make sure.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:02 pm      Reply with quote
salster68 wrote:
sorry i did read thay glycolic was also good. should i think about creams with glycolic in or glycolic peels ets to add too? I am guessing I am best to definately add Retin A?? I was going to order retin a online and it works out cheaper to buy more than one tube so i was wondering if i buy two at two different strengths and was wondering which two i should go with. Would be grateful for any help with my skincare

Thanks

Honestly, I would start small. Get Retin A (cream if dry, gel if oily) and use the lowest strength until the tube is gone. Then you can think about increasing the strength if you feel you need to. You can start with just 2 nights a week and try to build up slowly to nightly use. Some people cannot tolerate nightly use, but try to use it at least 3 nights a week. Add an AHA product Or a C/antioxidant product during the day, or alternate that at night with your Retin A. Use sunscreen daily. That is a simple routine to start with, and you can see how you are reacting to those ingredients. I personally would do that before looking into adding anything else. CeraVe makes a great moisturizer if you can use it.
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:16 pm      Reply with quote
Which MD Forte creams are you referring to?

rileygirl wrote:
Flavia wrote:

I have heard good talk on the Walgreens AHA. I think that one has a red/black label on it? Not sure. I am using lactic acid in the form of Lactic Power 10 from Skinbiology. I like it, plus it has other good ingredients in it. Otherwise, the best (in my opinion only) are the MD Forte creams.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:13 pm      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:
Which MD Forte creams are you referring to?

Hi RussianSunshine! They are the face creams in a jar and marked I, II, or III depending on the strength. I think I is plenty for most people.

Here is a link to the product just for the photo.
http://www.drugstore.com/m-d-forte-facial-cream-l-with-glycolic-acid/qxp68351?catid=98081
Glamcat
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:49 pm      Reply with quote
I have used these MD Forte Creams before and they are fantastic! I started with I and worked my way up. I stupidly stopped using glycolic products a few years ago after I was told by the skin clinic I went to that they are damaging to the skin - although I had used MD Formulations and MD Forte successfully for over a decade and my skin was wonderful!

The stupid skin clinic talked me into laser and that went dreadfully - they ruined my face and I developed several health problems due to the stress of it all! My face was so bad I couldnt leave the house for 3 months - in a way kind of lucky I'm self-employed but it meant everything got lumped on my poor husband who saw himself working every minute of the day 7 days a week!

Anyhoo, back on topic! lol Laughing I've reently added the new Vivite Glycolic Night Cream (by Allergan - I think they have replaced MD Forte with Vivite) to my regime and my skin is loving it! I think Glycolic Acid and my skin were just meant to be - a match made in heaven! Laughing

rileygirl wrote:
Hi RussianSunshine! They are the face creams in a jar and marked I, II, or III depending on the strength. I think I is plenty for most people.

Here is a link to the product just for the photo.
http://www.drugstore.com/m-d-forte-facial-cream-l-with-glycolic-acid/qxp68351?catid=98081
Flavia
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:37 pm      Reply with quote
Has anyone tried mixing DMAE powder with any of your creams? Is there enough research behind this? I've mixed it with CeraVe. Just wonderin' what your thoughts are and if you've seen results.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:24 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |