Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Please advice for a pregnant friend
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
flick24
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:33 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone my friend has just discovered she's pregnant, she suffers from depression and had been doing really well on tablets she was prescribed but can no longer take them due to risks to her baby she has seen the doctor about other medication but they all carry risks she is not willing to take, I suggested she look at her diet to incorporate more feel good foods but she does not want to eat loads of chocolate and is a vegetarian, also gentle exercise like walking what else can I tell her.

Any advice really apprecited don't want to see her so stressed about this
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:54 am      Reply with quote
I used to suffer from some fairly serious depression, but have been in the clear for several years, without the help of medication, so please remind her that not everyone's doomed to a life of darkness (like certain people had told me, threatening that that'd be the case if I didn't resort to pharmaceuticals).

Eating balanced meals on time/regularly is incredibly important for balancing blood sugar if nothing else. I snack on almonds if I can't eat at the right time. B-Vitamins are crucial for me - I don't take many supplements, but I feel soooo much less grounded without my B's.

Omega-3 fats are supposed to be important for those suffering from depression, & amino acids (for boosting serotonin). I suspect all this may be a bit more challenging for a vegetarian, but easy enough to research... probably fish & beans.

By the way, I of all people respect her decision, but sometimes emotional health trumps the risks to physical health, so I hope she doesn't beat herself up if it comes down to taking meds. Emotions affect baby too and I believe that the most important thing you can give, or show, a baby is faith that there is an abundant world here just waiting to take of our every need. Smile

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
Lotusesther
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:10 am      Reply with quote
She could try yoga and meditation, that can really help with depression and would be very good for the baby too, and help her prepare for the birth.
She could try and look into aromatherapy. Find a good aromatherapist, who knows his/her stuff so the safety of the baby is guaranteed! My own experience (and that of friends of mine) with aromatherapy to deal with depression is VERY good, but not all oils can be used during pregnancy so she will need an expert.
And lots, lots of love and support, but that goes without saying, does't it?
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:46 am      Reply with quote
Oops.. that should have been "take CARE of our every need", of course!

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
flick24
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:13 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for your replies I will tell her your suggestions it goes without saying she has everyones love and support, we are all worried about how the hormone changes are going to affect her it broke my heart when she told me the other day it would be easier if she wasn't pregnant as I know how much she loves and wants kids.
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:14 am      Reply with quote
I was on the verge of taking pharmaceuticals at one point but resisted. So glad I did. No side effects to deal with and I didn't want to line the already plush pockets of Big Pharma.

Exercise has been a lifesaver. She can go to classes for pregnant women or do DVDs. Tracey Mallett specializes in pregnancy and post pregnancy exercise. Her website is a useful source of information as well. http://www.traceymallett.com/

Diet is also key. When I eat too much sugar or bread/rolls/pastries, I get tired and depressed. If she could suspend her vegetarianism for a few months for the sake of the baby's health, then she should eat fish.

Her pregnancy hormones might actually put her in a better mood because that is nature's way of preserving the species. Of course, afterward there is a chance of post natal depression, so everyone is different.

Perhaps she should think about having her tubes tied during the delivery. One baby may be enough for her, considering her inability to handle sress.
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:16 am      Reply with quote
I was on the verge of taking pharmaceuticals at one point but resisted. So glad I did.

Exercise has been a lifesaver. She can go to classes for pregnant women or do DVDs. Tracey Mallett specializes in pregnancy and post pregnancy exercise. Her website is a useful source of information as well. http://www.traceymallett.com/

Diet is also key. When I eat too much sugar or bread/rolls/pastries, I get tired and depressed. If she could suspend her vegetarianism for a few months for the sake of the baby's health, then she should eat fish.

Her pregnancy hormones might actually put her in a better mood because that is nature's way of preserving the species. Of course, afterward there is a chance of post natal depression, so everyone is different.

Perhaps she should think about having her tubes tied during the delivery. One baby may be enough for her, considering her inability to handle sress.
Lotusesther
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:48 am      Reply with quote
Having her tubes tied? During delivery? Over here I don't think any doctor would do that, considering things like age, hormonal imbalance at such a moment etc., such an irreversible decision. And depressions do pass, eventually, with or without medication.
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:42 pm      Reply with quote
Oh wow, that one shocked me!
I always feel the need to point out that once people have been mired in depression for long periods of time they think they'll never get out. Like I said, so many people (especially doctors quoting pharmaceutical company literature) seem to label you "sick" forever, even after you've been successfully well for a long time. In most cases, this isn't the truth, and its worth reminding people of that, and in my opinion, treating them as if its only a matter of time before they're well. I think if they believe they're sick, or prone to sickness, they'll watch for signs of depression and be more likely to slip again and not be so quick to replace old habits with new, healthy ones.
While it takes a long time to sink, it takes a long time to resurface, so figuring out how to be patient & "exercise" their way to wellness is key.

I liked what you said about pregnancy hormones perhaps putting her in a better mood - maybe if she hears that it'll remind her to watch out for those bright spots and focus there!

I know that it was said with good intention, and "inability to handle stress" is probably a good reason not to have kids, but I don't think considering having her tubes tied right now, if she loves kids that much, is a good idea. I've known MANY women who've recovered completely from depression after having a kid - it changed them, perhaps grounded them and gave them more of a reason to stay on track.

I used to define myself as moody & prone-to-depression. While at one point it served its purpose (explaining my thoughts, behaviour, & acted as a reminder for me to take proper care etc), I now know that it was the result of circumstances and not WHO I am. Have you seen the quote "Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."? lol. In my case, not really assholes, just people who didn't know any better, and therefore couldn't teach me much in the way of how to care for myself.

System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:32 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |