Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Natural cleanser?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
onmyboat
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:29 pm      Reply with quote
I have combination skin (though my t-zone is slowly veering from oily to normal) and mild but persistent acne. Currently I use Skin Authority Daily Cleanser with glycolic acid. Right now I'm using it twice a day, which I find somewhat drying. So I'd like to cut it down to once a day or less, and use another cleanser. What I want is a natural cleanser that doesn't contain irritants and won't make me break out. I'm thinking something along the lines of Juice Beauty, 100% Pure, Korres, etc. Ideally something I can get at Shoppers Drugmart/Murale/Sephora.

Any suggestions?
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:49 pm      Reply with quote
I don't know if this is helpful at all, but is there a reason you feel a need to "cleanse" the face more than once? I ask because I do my cleanse at the end of the day before I go to bed. I go to bed with a bare face except for under the eyes where I use Vaseline Petroleum Jelly. I sleep on clean pillow with my hair wrapped so that the only thing that is in touch with my face are my pillowcase and sheets. In the morning, I just splash my face with lukewarm water, no cleanser, because really, how dirty could my face possibly have gotten while I slept in a clean bed? I use a paper towel to dry my face off after the splashes, then apply sunblock.

I used to have combination dry skin with oily T-zone. And when I'd use a moisturizer, my face would appear dull with fine lines later. Since switching to this simple regimen, I find my skin is so much happier and better.

I was just thinking that if you are happy with the product you're using but just find it drying, maybe cutting back and not using anything in the morning may help.

While I use the oil cleansing method in the evenings to clean off dirt collected during the day, I do occasionally skip it and just use plain lukewarm water from a shower spray with a face cloth to loosen the dirt as the lukewarm water sprays my face in the shower. I believe in moderation in all things, hence the reason I don't OCM all the time.

Sleeping with a bare face is actually favored by some people. I first learned of it from Eva Fraser and suggested it to a few people who later reported good results with it. Here's what Dr Hauschka says:

Quote:
Skip the night cream; your skin will thank you.

Why Dr.Hauschka doesn't recommend night creams:

1. While you sleep your skin is actually hard at work regenerating itself, balancing oil production and expelling impurities.

2. Regular application of night creams interferes with these essential tasks, and over time skin becomes less able to care for itself. Use of nighttime moisturizers signals the sebaceous glands to cut down on moisture production, resulting in even drier skin. Over time, skin becomes dependent on moisturizing products just to appear "normal."
(Source)

So if you went to bed with a bare face, maybe you'd not need a cleanser in the morning and could probably get away with just plain water.
tinali0202
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:34 am      Reply with quote
Nonie aka AD wrote:
I don't know if this is helpful at all, but is there a reason you feel a need to "cleanse" the face more than once? I ask because I do my cleanse at the end of the day before I go to bed. I go to bed with a bare face except for under the eyes where I use Vaseline Petroleum Jelly. I sleep on clean pillow with my hair wrapped so that the only thing that is in touch with my face are my pillowcase and sheets. In the morning, I just splash my face with lukewarm water, no cleanser, because really, how dirty could my face possibly have gotten while I slept in a clean bed? I use a paper towel to dry my face off after the splashes, then apply sunblock.

I used to have combination dry skin with oily T-zone. And when I'd use a moisturizer, my face would appear dull with fine lines later. Since switching to this simple regimen, I find my skin is so much happier and better.

I was just thinking that if you are happy with the product you're using but just find it drying, maybe cutting back and not using anything in the morning may help.

While I use the oil cleansing method in the evenings to clean off dirt collected during the day, I do occasionally skip it and just use plain lukewarm water from a shower spray with a face cloth to loosen the dirt as the lukewarm water sprays my face in the shower. I believe in moderation in all things, hence the reason I don't OCM all the time.

Sleeping with a bare face is actually favored by some people. I first learned of it from Eva Fraser and suggested it to a few people who later reported good results with it. Here's what Dr Hauschka says:

Quote:

1. While you sleep your skin is actually hard at work regenerating itself, balancing oil production and expelling impurities.

2. Regular application of night creams interferes with these essential tasks, and over time skin becomes less able to care for itself. Use of nighttime moisturizers signals the sebaceous glands to cut down on moisture production, resulting in even drier skin. Over time, skin becomes dependent on moisturizing products just to appear "normal."
(Source)

So if you went to bed with a bare face, maybe you'd not need a cleanser in the morning and could probably get away with just plain water.

for the oil and combination skin ,even with a bare face last night ,,,there will be some oil on the face ,,,still need cleanser.
onmyboat
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:14 am      Reply with quote
Yeah, I definitely need a cleanser. Each night, I remove my make-up with the Vichy 3-in-1 Cleanser, and then use the glycolic cleanser. The Vichy cleanser does leave my skin feeling soft and "unstripped of oil" but I'm afraid if I use it alone, it'll result in more acne. I'm also getting my Clarisonic brush soon, so hopefully that'll help.

Right now, I'm thinking of getting a cleanser sampler from Garden of Wisdom. I've selected the green tea, the glycolic acid (I'll see if it's a good replacement for my current one), and the Almond Milk/Papaya Enzyme cleanser. Anyone has any recommendations?

Also, this is off-topic, but I find that my skin has trouble absorbing sunscreen. I use the Clinique SPF 40 one, and when I put it one, it tends to leave residue. Not in the "physical sunscreen leaves residue" type of way. You know how when you take a bath, and then you kind of rub your leg or whatever, and there's this kind of dirt/skin residue - it's kind of like that. Anyone have an idea on how to fix this? Would the Clarisonic help?
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:41 am      Reply with quote
tinali0202 wrote:
Nonie aka AD wrote:

Quote:

(Source)

for the oil and combination skin ,even with a bare face last night ,,,there will be some oil on the face ,,,still need cleanser.

Not true. I have a friend who's got oily skin who doesn't use a cleanser AT ALL. Not at night and not in the morning. She doesn't even use moisturizer. She's the one from whom I learned about plain water washes, and what made me give them a try is in her 30's she had flawless skin like that of a baby.

What's more, I had combination skin before I started OCM: dry with an oily T-zone. I no longer have that problem since I started this regimen. (I don't remember but in a discussion where people thanked me for this idea of going to bed with a bare face, I will check to see how many had oily skin and whether they use a cleanser in the morning.) I think what people don't realize is that if you have oily skin, the more you strip it, the oilier it gets. This is why OCM works well for people with oily skin. It's like a thermostat tells your oil pumps that there's enough oil on the surface of your skin and no more is needed. You strip your skin with oil control products, and the thermostat sends a message that it's dry on the surface so more oil is produced. And the vicious cycle continues.

I think cosmetic companies have people completely duped into thinking that stripping their faces with many washes is the way to go and that if they don't do a hundred things to their faces both at night and in the morning, then all hell will break loose. And what's ironic is that it's the people who have umpteen steps in their skin regimens who seem to have the most problems and to be constantly looking for a fix.

Seriously, don't knock it till you try it. Just off the top of my head, I can count on all my fingers people who've tried this idea and thanked me for it.

OP doesn't do OCM, she uses a cleanser at night. So if she went to bed with a bare face, what would she need a cleanser in the morning for? Granted if she has oily skin, her skin may feel oily in the AM, but have you noticed that people with oily skin only get shiny and greasy but never have dripping oil? Why is that? Methinks it's because as long as oil is on your face, the oil pumps slow the production. So if in the AM you don't strip off the oils completely with cleanser but just use plain water and a cloth like my friend, I have a feeling you'll find you have fewer problems. I guess there's only one way to know. Try it and if it doesn't work, then you know.
onmyboat
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:50 am      Reply with quote
Nonie aka AD wrote:

Not true. I have a friend who's got oily skin who doesn't use a cleanser AT ALL. Not at night and not in the morning. She doesn't even use moisturizer. She's the one from whom I learned about plain water washes, and what made me give them a try is in her 30's she had flawless skin like that of a baby.

To be honest, I think that really depends on genetics. I was thinking about that yesterday, actually. I have really great hair, nice colour, volume and I only use drugstore shampoo, no conditioner or treatments. But then I see people with thin, flat, dull hair who need an arsenal, and even then the result is not great. My skin is like that, basically, just terrible textures, large pores, broken capillaries. I think it's largely environmental, since my mom and grandma have great largely problem-free skin. I think I'm going to switch to natural make-up/skincare because I definitely beat up my skin with harsh chemicals.
flgirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:42 pm      Reply with quote
Skin naturally goes through changes through all phases of our lives. Not sure we can really change our skin types based on moisturizing/cleansing it. I'd need to see some hardcore research studies on MULTIPLE people to see some educated decisions.
Lotusesther
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:11 pm      Reply with quote
I only use cold water for my face in the morning, have done that since my early teens. Just splashing on with the hands, not a cloth. Never had any real acne trouble, just the occasional zit, even during pregnancies etc.
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:22 pm      Reply with quote
onmyboat wrote:
Nonie aka AD wrote:

To be honest, I think that really depends on genetics. I was thinking about that yesterday, actually. I have really great hair, nice colour, volume and I only use drugstore shampoo, no conditioner or treatments. But then I see people with thin, flat, dull hair who need an arsenal, and even then the result is not great. My skin is like that, basically, just terrible textures, large pores, broken capillaries. I think it's largely environmental, since my mom and grandma have great largely problem-free skin. I think I'm going to switch to natural make-up/skincare because I definitely beat up my skin with harsh chemicals.

You know what made me switch to a simple regimen? I used to have a regimen that included all the steps recommended by "experts". I first followed a Clinique regimen that included cleanser, toners, moisturizer...the works. Then I followed an Erno Laszlo one o'clock one that had the same steps but also oil controlling products, one for dry patches one for oily patches. My skin was OK as long as I did all this. Then came a spell with glycolics and Estee Lauder's Fruition Extra was the bomb. It seemed there was always something more I could do or should be doing.

It then occurred to me that my mom doesn't seem to have all these problems nor does she keep doing so much to her face. I started to ask older women with beautiful skins about their regimens and to my surprise, they were were so simple and to some even scary. Some used just Vaseline and soap. Others used a cleanser and Nivea or Oil of Olay... No toners, no primers, no glycolics. They got their exfoliation from using a face cloth when they washed their faces. I also started to notice that the people who are into peels seemed to look horrible if they went longer than a few weeks w/o getting one. One person shared how she has to do a chemical peel once a week--it could've been pretty mild, but still, it horrified me that someone with young skin could need to exfoliate so frequently and wasn't concerned about the trauma this was doing to her face. What I also noticed was while her skin looked clear, it also looked like it was worn down.

I started to think that perhaps we do too much and that less might be more. I suspect that your mom and grandma didn't do as much as you do, and while it is true there can be a difference in skin traits, I still think that cutting back on the cleansing will be a blessing. I understand the thought is scary. But remember acne if not caused by diet, is caused by dirt, oil and dead cells clogging pores. One night of going to bed with a bare face that is clean will not cause you to break out. And one morning of cleaning a face that didn't have layers of product with a clean facecloth with just plain water will not cause you to break out. It's a one-day experiment. You can go back to what you believe in if you find it doesn't work.

Think about it: what you're doing now isn't working. You're about to try something new that you can't be sure whether it will work--a new cleanser. What's the difference? They're both NEW experiments whose results you have no idea of. Except one might bring with it new reactions (like what if there's an ingredient that doesn't agree with you), while the other will just be as good as doing nothing. IMO the latter seems less risky, but it's up to you. Do what feels "safest" to you.
Lotusesther
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:27 pm      Reply with quote
I think most people (including me) have been tricked into thinking we need a brand product. And we get hooked on things that are designed to make us need it more and more.

If you feel you NEED a cleanser and don't feel you do enough with plain old water, you could try using yoghurt and oatmeal. See the DIY section for more excellent recipes.

Oil in the skin is there for a purpose. It is your skin's way to protect you. That the t-zone is often the oiliest is no wonder - that part catches the most of UV, air pollution, etc. Now when you strip away that natural defense all the time all the skin can do to protect itself is make more oil. Same as washing your hair every day with an agressive shampoo - it makes your hair greasier and greasier.

So with a problem with oil production I think in the long run a gentle approach to get things back in balance would be better. There is a topic about using powder at night for very oily skin - that could help balance things. And maybe you could look at your routine to see if you do enough to protect, if the things you use on your skin have the right PH for your skin (anything drying will only stimulate oil production to protect your skin). Finally, hormones play a part, as you may notice that the oil production changes during your cycle. That could be helped with the use of the right foods and supplements, or changing your bcp if you use that. But first of all, try and understand that what your skin produces is there for a reason. It is a response to something. If you can figure out what it's responding to you can find a lasting solution.

(I cut out pork from my diet for a long time, because I discovered it made my skin oily. Same with chocolate - that still causes an oily t-zone with me, ouch!)
onmyboat
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:50 pm      Reply with quote
Lotusesther wrote:
I think most people (including me) have been tricked into thinking we need a brand product. And we get hooked on things that are designed to make us need it more and more.

Yeah, I definitely agree. Until recently (when I started actually reading about the science behind skincare), I was kind of turned off to anything natural or organic or low-key because I had this mindset that if it didn't contain a slew of chemicals it wasn't effective.

Nonie, re: Clinique, yeah, I tried their acne regiment two years ago. It maybe 10% effective at reducing my acne, but my skin went haywire. The entire area around my mouth and on my chin was so dry it started peeling. Applying another moisturizer didn't help so I had to stop. That was probably my most severe reaction to a product.

And I agree about loading down the skin with products making people older. It's kind of like women using 10 make-up products to camouflage minor flaws, which in turn makes them look much older than if they had just worn sunscreen.

I think I'm going to go with using just the Vichy at night and then Skin Authority in the morning.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:24 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |