Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Sunspots On Face : Were you actually able to remove them?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Bluerain
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 03, 2005 11:18 am      Reply with quote
Has anyone been able to get rid of sunspots?

If yes, what did you use?

Thanks for your time:)

Blue
ashocca

Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:09 am      Reply with quote
man i hate them so much !!!!, i heared something about lazer treament but im not shure man *crys*
felinehhy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:17 am      Reply with quote
i used NIA24 strngthening complex and did see a positive effect.i think it's because of retinol's .but i become sensitive to it with a unknown reason Sad
Priscilla
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:56 am      Reply with quote
i would LOVE to hear about anyone's success story in getting rid of sunspots.

I have tried treating mine with arbutin+wildberry serum (tyrosinase inhibitors) along with high PPD and SPF sunscreen, but not seen rapid results since it supposedly takes at least 6 months of dedicated use.

I read on the skinbiology website that you can use copper peptides and exfoliation to get rid of them, but I don't know how long it would take. I have supercop2x and spot treat one sunspot with it, but I don't see changes yet...again, probably because it is just going to take more time.

If there is a faster fix, I would love to know it.

priscilla

35, combination skin, post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation at the slightest blemish + stubborn blackheads on nose. Ignoramus about skincare--hence the litany of skincare woes. Here to learn, and grateful for help.
trianglefish
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:48 pm      Reply with quote
Have you tried Decleor's whitening serum. I heard a lot of good things about it to lighten the dark spot from sun and acne.
simplenpure
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:17 pm      Reply with quote
Try Skinceuticals Retinol 0.5. It helps to lighten dark spots from sunlight and even skintone. Tried Skinceuticals Vitamin C Serum before, no luck !!!
patches

Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:42 pm      Reply with quote
Obagi worked for me with .01 retin A. Here's the thing, I got to the maintenance and even when using a 60 sunscreen it was a temporary fix. I'm going back to the Obagi. My Dr. says it is because of my exposure to UV rays and inferred exposure. My case is tougher than most.

I’ve been told that laser can be up to $500 a treatment and many treatments are needed. The doctor also said that they are still perfecting the technology.

Patches Confused
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:10 am      Reply with quote
There is a recent review here on the board about Bliss Spa Labs Liver Spot Treatment, which was pretty impressive.
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:45 am      Reply with quote
I have removed them from my face with Skin Biology Super CP Serum, paired with Super Cop 2X cream, 40% AHA once a week, with a 10% low pH AHA used daily, and a 3% low BHA used daily.

Took probably 6 to 9 months.

I have also used Rdetin A, but that did not do it for me.

You MUST have a good sunscreen, applyed correctly, or they come right back. A good sunscreen is defined here, for those who need it. (not all are good ones):

http://www.paulaschoice.com/learn/sun.asp?ID=163
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:19 am      Reply with quote
MSM suppliments also have some benifit in lightening sunspots.

A fri4end and I also noticed it did help some for us on some darker freckles. But we take about 3000 to 4000 msg daily.

Higher doses are recomended to fade skin discoloration, dose levels are on this link also.

Link is here:

http://skincarerx.com/phorum/read.php?3,21783
lorimcp
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:42 am      Reply with quote
I have had several Microdermabrasion + 30% peels at $155 each. I think I did 6, they were working some, but not what I had expected for $1000 so far. I started using Serious Skin Care RulineaFX serum, the main ingredient being Niacinamide, and this has made the biggest difference. They are not gone however, just lighter.

I am starting the TCA/ CP system this month when I get back from vacation next week. Am going to try the cross method on one that is hidden by my bangs Smile

I had tried an Avon serum with niacinamide for a couple weeks when my SSC ran out, but the results are not as good so am guessing the % just isn't as high. Just ordered more SSC last nite. I thought Candesse was coming out with a Niacinamide Serum soon, but I might be confused.
Priscilla
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:19 pm      Reply with quote
Tangal wrote:
I have removed them from my face with Skin Biology Super CP Serum, paired with Super Cop 2X cream, 40% AHA once a week, with a 10% low pH AHA used daily, and a 3% low BHA used daily.

Took probably 6 to 9 months.

I have also used Rdetin A, but that did not do it for me.

You MUST have a good sunscreen, applyed correctly, or they come right back. A good sunscreen is defined here, for those who need it. (not all are good ones):

http://www.paulaschoice.com/learn/sun.asp?ID=163

Tangal,
Is it possible to accelerate the process using the TCA cross method that Scalawaggirl has detailed on the board? Or is it better (safer) to take the slow but steady approach with daily low % AHA/BHA and weekly higher % AHA treatments?

Other question for our resident expert: how does the CP+AHA/BHA regimen act with tyrosinase inhibitors (e.g., arbutin, wildberry serum) and/or with the niacinamide sera that Lorimcp mentioned? Can they be used together in a regimen or are would they antagonize one another? Or can they be used together but at different times of the day (e.g., using Vit C and CPs at different times of the day)?
priscilla

35, combination skin, post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation at the slightest blemish + stubborn blackheads on nose. Ignoramus about skincare--hence the litany of skincare woes. Here to learn, and grateful for help.
lorimcp
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:37 pm      Reply with quote
catski wrote:
There is a recent review here on the board about Bliss Spa Labs Liver Spot Treatment, which was pretty impressive.

I refuse to buy anything with the words 'Liver Spot' in the name Laughing
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:59 pm      Reply with quote
Priscilla

Yes you can use the TCA cross method to accelerate action. The only issue is of course irritation vs actual effect. It is a fine balance, so as not to damage skin faster then it can repair.  But this method is well suited to scar treatment.

Assuming you are careful and take it slow, you can certainly do that, just keeping in mind the delicate nature of the skin you are dealing with, especially facial skin.

All the other products you mentioned can certainly be use in conjunction with CP, AHA, and BHA – and you may find they enhance one another nicely.

But of course if you try to juggle to many products at once, with pH issues and wait time – you may run out of hours in the day to effectively use them all. LOL

So personally I would pick a few to work with and go from there, gradually adding in or subtracting out products to find the mix that suits you, your schedule and needs and budget.

Ideally you want:

A good exfoliate, or two depending on area treating, and type of issues, an AHA and BHA are nice because they compliment each other, but do act differently. But some of the blended AHA formula can act in the same manner as aha and bha separately for scar issues.

Because my time is limited I like the BHA/AHA combo products best. But you can do the same thing with two separate products, by layering them in a Bi Phase system – assuming pH and formula supports this method. (apply BHA fist, then AHA – then one 30 minute wait for both products combined)

Obviously the deeper peel strength acids will need to be timed based on the treatment area, and issue at hand, and strength. But I like the heavier strength spot treatments. For me this was key to treating scars, and skin tags. The lower strength products alone were not enough.

Something to help the skin rebuild/repair faster (for me this is CP)

Whiteners and Inhibiters are optional add ons, that can easily be used, based on your specific needs. None are perfect. Some people fine one works better then another for them. So it is very individual, and that’s the tricky part, finding the best for you personally.

Of course a terrific sunscreen. Because ANY UV exposure will slow the fade process.

So first decide what all you have or want to use, then base scheduling on each products specific requirements.

The work it into your schedule, based on your time.
Priscilla
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:10 pm      Reply with quote
THANKS TANGIRL!

Other question: I am prone to hyperpigmentation and scarring. I read on the Platinum Skincare site that TCA peels can be better than peels using glycolic acid, lactic acid, etc. for people who tend to scar easily (i.e., people with darker skin tones). Would you agree? My whole tendency to scar (although I guess that they are not really scars since they fade...after 6-12 months) has me anxious using any peel on my whole face.

Recommendations? I appreciate all of the information that you are posting. I am gearing up to try to tackle my sunspots and hyperpigmentation spots....but am still (as you can see) in the process of trying to figure out where to start given my other kin issues.
priscilla

Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:22 pm      Reply with quote
I do agree that TCA is a good option for you. Just take it slow and easy, to minimize any irritation as much as possible.

I also suggest that you conceder a few other things to help with the red scar issues.

One: add in some topical Antioxidants. I personally Like Rooibos Green Tea applied once or twice daily. That will help the red spots a lot, and can prevent the skin from forming new ones, or at least help them to fade faster.

If you want a recipe let me know, it’s SUPER easy to make, or buy it here.

http://www.ifeelprettyproducts.com/dmae_antioxidants.htm get the Antioxidant mist only if that’s all you want. Paula’s choice makes a good one also, but it does not have the tea – which really seems to help a lot with the redness.

Diannna Yvoone used to carry one also, and still may.

I personally really do recommend a copper serum, it will help heal any red spots much faster, and strengthen the skin, to help lessen the depth of future ones.

A mild daily exfoliate, either chemical or manual, or a daily use micro fiber cloth to help speed cell turnover, again fading any spots faster.

Emu oil, a great ant-inflammatory and will help heal any “bad spots” also. Excellent when used with acids.

Take a good mult vitamin, and consider MSM as a supplement, it does so much for the skin, and will help heal any issues faster.
Priscilla
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:57 pm      Reply with quote
WOW! Your response is very, very helpful. And REASSURING because a lot of the things you list, I have been doing, but without being entirely sure that they are compatible or worthwhile.

Tangal wrote:
Priscilla

Yes you can use the TCA cross method to accelerate action. The only issue is of course irritation vs actual effect. It is a fine balance, so as not to damage skin faster then it can repair.  But this method is well suited to scar treatment.

Assuming you are careful and take it slow, you can certainly do that, just keeping in mind the delicate nature of the skin you are dealing with, especially facial skin.

I think that I will try the TCA. I may try the lower %, first spot treat in a discreet area to be sure I don't react, and then as a facial peel. If that goes well, then maybe I'll try treating a sun spot in a discreet location with the TCA cross method....eventually.

Tangal wrote:
All the other products you mentioned can certainly be use in conjunction with CP, AHA, and BHA – and you may find they enhance one another nicely.

But of course if you try to juggle to many products at once, with pH issues and wait time – you may run out of hours in the day to effectively use them all. LOL

Definitely. I'm already running into this! Laughing

Tangal wrote:
A good exfoliate, or two depending on area treating, and type of issues, an AHA and BHA are nice because they compliment each other, but do act differently. But some of the blended AHA formula can act in the same manner as aha and bha separately for scar issues.

Because my time is limited I like the BHA/AHA combo products best. But you can do the same thing with two separate products, by layering them in a Bi Phase system – assuming pH and formula supports this method. (apply BHA fist, then AHA – then one 30 minute wait for both products combined)

I had tried the biphasic treatment for a while, using a 5% salicylic acid product from Diana Yvonne (made by Professional Solutions) followed by 15% mandelic acid (Vivant in an alcohol base OR an alcohol-free version from Garden of Wisdom). This was too drying for my skin. I tried switching to Exfol Serum as a milder BHA, but I still get redness+irritation if I try to use the BHA with the AHA. Instead, I try to alternate. I have been trying to do this for a couple of months and hoped to build up more tolerance, but my skin still freaks out whenver I try to use both the salicyclic acid with the mandelic acid product. Since I have been using these as leave-on products, maybe I would have better luck with washes? I have an AHA cleanser from skincarecentral that has lactic acid in it, and I can wash with it and follow with mandelic acid without too much irritation as long as I don't do it everyday. As you can see, I am still trying to figure out an AHA/BHA combination that works for me. Would the Ifeelpretty combinations possibly work better for me because they are lower in concentration?

Tangal wrote:

Obviously the deeper peel strength acids will need to be timed based on the treatment area, and issue at hand, and strength. But I like the heavier strength spot treatments. For me this was key to treating scars, and skin tags. The lower strength products alone were not enough. Something to help the skin rebuild/repair faster (for me this is CP)

Good to know. I have been using CP serum and spot treating in a few places with supercop2x in the PM for 2 1/2 months using the above-mentioned AHA/BHAs (and more recently CareKate's aspirin mask) + a microfiber cloth to exfoliate. I am not seeing results (versus untreated areas of my face), but didn't know how long to give it before bumping up to stronger exfoliants. I have literally rubbed a spot on my face raw with the microfiber cloth but not had the spot fade. Sad I think bumping up to TCA will be a good thing.

Tangal wrote:

Whiteners and Inhibiters are optional add ons, that can easily be used, based on your specific needs. None are perfect. Some people fine one works better then another for them. So it is very individual, and that’s the tricky part, finding the best for you personally.

Of course a terrific sunscreen. Because ANY UV exposure will slow the fade process.

Definitely. I have been using the Bioderma AKN spray which is high SPF and high PPD. I experimented with a wildberry serum+arbutin over the summer along with Neutrogena Age Shield sunscreen, but did not see results. I don't know if this is because the tyrosinase inhibitors were not good for me or if the sunscreen was not strong enough.

I moisturize with emu oil + HA serum, usually the red tea serum from DianaYvonne or an Autumn Olive HA serum (lycopene-rich) from Garden of Wisdom. (Hooray! something that I am doing right!) AND for the last 3-4 weeks I've been using a vitamin C+E+ferulic serum from Skinceuticals during the day for extra antioxidant action. I would like to try a niacinamide serum, I think, to see if it might help as well, but I think that these are probably going to end up supplementary things--the main fading will come from the CPs+exfoliation it sounds like. So I had better get off the EDS forum and order my TCA!

THANKS AGAIN, TANGAL! Smile

priscilla

Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:58 pm      Reply with quote
BiPhasic may be to irritating. Maybe alternate days will work better for you.

The I Feel Pretty come in a milder version, 5/2 I think which you may tolerate better. Though you may find that every other night or every third night works better for you also. Its still a lower pH about 2.0 I believe, but higher then what you were using with the PF products. So may be better tolerated.

Have you used Lactic acid before? That tends to do better on those with sensitive skin.

I am not sure if you are using Retin A, or a product of that type. But that also will increase sensitivity. Which is why I like the Copper with it, as it can help counter and heal that issue.

Keep in mind higher strength/longer times is really not better or the main goal. The main goal is the level for your skin that still gives good results with least irritation.

If that is 10 minutes once a week – so be it. Nothing wrong with that at all. Everyday use is not necessary, it helps, but you need to work WITH your skin. For many that is every other night for a low pH acid, or every third night etc.

A leave on may be the issue also. Try as a rinse off, after 5, 10, or 15 minutes. Whatever level you are needing.

A “wash” like a cleanser that you wash and rinse off immediately, is really no a very effective exfoliate. An exfoliate still needs to stay on the skin to work. Once the water hits it, it stops working. So unless you are leaving it on – then rinsing its not going to help. And if it has a detergent – or irritant – you don’t want to leave that on the skin either.

The sunscreen could be an issue. Remember no sunscreen is a 100% block, and depending on your exposure. Even 1 % UV can cause skin darkening. At least in winter you will have less UV exposure, so maybe you can make more headway.

Sounds like you are heading in the right direction. 
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:59 pm      Reply with quote
lorimcp wrote:
catski wrote:

I refuse to buy anything with the words 'Liver Spot' in the name Laughing

YES!! Very Happy

has to be the most unnatractive name for a product, ever.

One would hardly be delighted to see it sitting one one's shelf.

They should rename it "Hiding The Evidence." Bad Grin
felinehhy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:23 pm      Reply with quote
what is MSM?
could somebody tell me?
thanks Rolling Eyes
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:49 pm      Reply with quote
That would be methylsulfonylmethane or methyl-sulfonyl-methane

A common sulfer found in all body tissues. Wink
tina7006
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:11 pm      Reply with quote
I've been using Obagi Nu Derm for 5 weeks and has lightened the large sunspots on my face considerably.
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:23 pm      Reply with quote
Tangal wrote:
One: add in some topical Antioxidants. I personally Like Rooibos Green Tea applied once or twice daily. That will help the red spots a lot, and can prevent the skin from forming new ones, or at least help them to fade faster.

i would love to know the recipe for this!
Priscilla
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:31 pm      Reply with quote
la vie en rose wrote:
Tangal wrote:

i would love to know the recipe for this!

Tangal was already nice enough to send me her recipe by PM:
"For a simple and basic antioxidant product.
Green Tea Toner

"Purchase some 100% Green Organic Rooibos tea bags. Make sure they are 100% Rooibos. You can also use Black Tea, White Tea, Green Tea, or regular “red” Rooibos.

"All are high in antioxidants. But Rooibos is the highest.

"Many stores carry the tea bags, you can also find them cheaply online all over.

"Boil some water. Place one ounce of boiling water in a cup with two teabags. Let brew for 30 to 60 minutes for the highest concentration.

"Let cool – and you have an Antioxidant tea/toner. Wipe on face or red spots twice daily, it is very soothing, and removes redness quickly.

"Store in the fridge in a sealed opaque bottle, for a bout a week, then remake.

"If you add preservatives, you can store on the bathroom shelf for about 6 months.

"You can add other botanical extracts to this to make it higher in AOs, but depending on what you use, you may need emulsifiers etc."

la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:41 pm      Reply with quote
thank you, Priscilla! it's 5:30 in the morning here and i couldn't sleep. made myself a cup of rooibos tea and saw this -- kismet! the funny thing is this sounds almost exactly my recipe for iced tea in the summer Laughing well, except i obviously use more than an ounce.... BTW, with rooibos you can leave the tea bags in indefinitely. they don't "change" like regular bags and keep on eeking out a bit, even in the fridge.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:06 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |