Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Broken Blood vessels sides of nose
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
pslaby03

Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:29 pm      Reply with quote
Hey everyone,

I am noticing a lot of broken capillaries on the sides and base of my nose. For some reason, I feel like they are getting worse (I am 31 f) or maybe I am just looking closer at my skin lately. I don't have rosacea.. is this normal to notice a lot of veins around your nose @ this age?

I do have bad allergies and maybe they are as a result or rubbing and blowing my nose growing up? I also recently was using locoed steroid cream on my face for dermatitis but only used it for 2 weeks. Could that have caused them to get worse?

What can I do about them besides laser? Also, what laser works the best for these unsightly things? Do topical creams work? Isn't there a quick procedure my dermatologist can do in his office that is relatively cheap? I thought I read about something like that.

Oh the joys of getting older.. haaa!

Thanks, Pam
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:39 am      Reply with quote
They can appear at any age. I've had them since my 20's. A vascular laser like VBeam will take care of these. IPL maybe an option also. These laser/light options are not that expensive usually between $2-300, you may need more then one treatment though. Some derms offer these treatments. Topical don't work.
pslaby03

Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:37 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Girliegirl,

Thanks for your message. I think you may responded to me a few months ago regarding some broken blood vessels on my cheeks. Well, those have gone away, maybe my skin was irritated in that area??

But my nose just looks really red in the creases and if I look very closely, I can see blood vessels. I mentioned in my previous post that I was using locoed steroid cream on my face for dermatitis but only used it for 2 weeks. I wonder if my skin thinned around my nose. I am trying to get back to the dermatologist to ask him about this but wanted some other opinions.

Thanks!
Pam
Pisces777

Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:58 pm      Reply with quote
What you are seeing are called telangiectasia. Small dialted blood vessels near the surface of the skin. Phyical pressure (e.g. hard scrubbing), sun exposure, and steroids can cause them, and they can run in families.

The vessels are actually functioning; if they were broken the body would clear them away.

2 procedures can clear them: pulsed dye lasers (e.g., v-beam by Candela), or Veinwave. They both work to collapse the vein, which leaves a small bruise that the body clears away. I'm not sure which procedure is "better". Scarring can result with either one. However both procedures don't ablate (destory) the epidermis (outer skin layer) so risk of scarring is low.

Topicals will not have any effect.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:23 pm      Reply with quote
I have them also and don't like them at all. I used IPL facials and that worked but I found out that once you stop taking regular treatment, it came back.

By accident, I was using Kate Somerville Deep Tissue repair with peptide K8 and discovered that with regular use, the broken capillaries are gone. But once you stop using the cream, it comes back.
Ava with wings
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:51 pm      Reply with quote
You are normal. Mine started about the time I turned 30. Welcome to a new decade, here's some broken caps and saddlebags!!! Rolling Eyes

Had decent (not great, so I don't use it on a regular basis anymore) results with Vitamin K. I'm very careful with that area, and they get way worse when I drink alcohol.

pslaby03 - steriod cream usage for only two weeks isn't going to thin the skin. I used to have wicked dermatitis... at one point I was using it for six months to a year because it just wouldn't clear up, it was awful. I didn't see any thinning until several months of continuous usage. It also appears to be reversible... nature stepped in and repaired it over time- its no longer thin.

Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:12 am      Reply with quote
Thanks everyone who has responded to me, I appreciate it. I guess blood vessels on side of nose are normal. I swear they seemed to worsen when I started the cream, but I could be wrong.

Another question.. maybe I should post this as a new post?? Anyway, I am still on the locoid cream and it's been a month. my dermatitis is still bothering me.. this tight/dry burning sensation. My dermatologist said to taper off of it after a month to prevent rebound symptoms: 3x a week for 1 week, 2x for 2 wks, etc. I have not began to taper yet but am noticing some patchy red blotchiness to my skin. I am wondering this is from the steroid or just my dry skin acting up. My derm says I don't have rosacea, just sensitive and dry skin.

Has anyone just stopped using topical steroids? I guess I should taper but I don't want to make my skin any redder if I keep using it.

@ Ava With Wings: what are your symptoms of dermatitis? Dry skin? What topical steroid do you use? Hmmm.. maybe I will try the vitamin k.. is there a particular kind I should get?

@ skincare: how many Ipls did you have to get to see a difference. I REALLY hate them too! How does the kate somerville peptide work to get rid of them?
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:28 am      Reply with quote
Hi,
To start noticing a difference, it was after the third one, but it depends on how bad yours is. What happened was that it was getting dry and crusty, then peeling.
Don't forget, once you stop using IPL, it will come back, but it took a few months when it did.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:41 am      Reply with quote
pslaby03 wrote:
Thanks everyone who has responded to me, I appreciate it. I guess blood vessels on side of nose are normal. I swear they seemed to worsen when I started the cream, but I could be wrong.

Any number of things can make them worse. If you think the cream is making them worse, I would stop it. Mine get really bad if I have used something like a clay mask or a strong AHA. It is very individual.
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:20 am      Reply with quote
Clay masks can make broken caps worse! Confused
Is it because of the clay or the fact that it dries out?

rileygirl wrote:

Any number of things can make them worse. If you think the cream is making them worse, I would stop it. Mine get really bad if I have used something like a clay mask or a strong AHA. It is very individual.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:47 am      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:
Clay masks can make broken caps worse! Confused
Is it because of the clay or the fact that it dries out?

I am guessing here, but I think it really is due to the increased circulation that the clay brings to the area.
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:29 am      Reply with quote
Vbeam got rid of mine.
flick24
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:36 pm      Reply with quote
I've got awful broke caps on my cheeks (I'm 29)I hate them I look permanantly red faced even though I use a green tinted concelor, I look at women much older than me and they have none even my 80 year old grandma has none I feel I got them for years of not looking after my skin and body I am just so aware of them it really gets me down sometimes.

I'm planning on having ipl next year in the meantime I'm using retin a and vit c I've read of people seeing improvement using these, I tried a vitamin k cream which did nothing I've just ordered some rosehip seed oil to try but realise ipl is the only thing that can really help me.
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:21 pm      Reply with quote
IPL treatments will work, but like everything else, the results aren't permanent. You need 1-2 maintenance treatments a year. IPL is also helpful for hyperpigmentation issues.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:09 pm      Reply with quote
Does Vbeam removes broken caps permanently?

flick24, I thought that Vit C and Retin A are the main irritants that make broken caps worse!
Pisces777

Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:44 pm      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:
Does Vbeam removes broken caps permanently?

Yes. Though new vessels could still form.

I think that Vbeam can be repeatedly done since it is non-ablative. (Ablative lases like CO2 or YAG ablate the skin and can only be used a few times since each time they are used, the skin thins.) I think some people on this forum have gone in for 10 or more vbeam sessions.

Quote:

flick24, I thought that Vit C and Retin A are the main irritants that make broken caps worse!

I suspect that Retin A could cause telangiectasia to form because it irritates the skin. You can get them from using too hot of water or scrubbing skin too hard. I don't know about Vit C.

You can find Vbeam and VeinWave videos on youtube.

The academic papers I had a chance to skim seemed to indicate generally better results with Vbeam than IPL.
flick24
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:37 am      Reply with quote
I don't know a bit confused now I read that retin a is sometimes used to treat rosacea part of that can be broken caps something about thinning the top layer of skin then building up the lower level which would make broken caps less visible I may be wrong there are so many contradictions on the web I sometimes don't know what to believe.

I can't find anywhere that offers scelerotherapy or veinwave where I live only IPL.
flick24
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:59 am      Reply with quote
Actually there is somewhere that does scelerotherapy but they only seem to do it on leg veins don't know why maybe I will give them a call if it will give me better quicker results than ipl
Pisces777

Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:45 am      Reply with quote
flick24 wrote:
Actually there is somewhere that does scelerotherapy but they only seem to do it on leg veins don't know why maybe I will give them a call if it will give me better quicker results than ipl

Where are you located?

I googled at bit and it looks like most places won't do scelerotherapy on the face or hands. Seems that it's risky as the scelering agent can travel throughout the body, cause blindness, veins to branch off into even more smaller veins, stroke, etc.
flick24
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:18 pm      Reply with quote
I'm on the isle of wight u.k theres only 2 places that do any kind of skin treatments but yeah that sounds quite risky though I had read results are better guess IPL is the way to go.
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:05 pm      Reply with quote
I had Vbeam laser and it worked like a charm on my broken blood vessels.

Tue May 14, 2024 6:40 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) StriVectin Tighten & Lift Peptight™ 360˚ Tightening Eye Serum (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |