Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
DIY C Serum
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:24 pm      Reply with quote
{Moderator: This thread relates to DIY skincare discussed at http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=439576#439576 . The discussion was split to accommodate both the original topic and DIY posts.}

Kassy_A wrote:
If you decide to go the DIY route, you can make comparable serums for pennies. That's the route I chose to take.

ETA: No need to worry about % for the E, if it's in there, it will be enough. As for the C serum 10 to 15% is plenty. Some people think more is better, but more than 15% can't be utilized by the skin, and will just wind up in your urine. No need to waste your money on more than 15%, it's useless.

Kassy, could you please tell me how to work out the percentage for a 15% Vitamin C serum. I mix the Vitamin C with distilled water and glycerin. So if I start off with 1 tspn of Vitamin C what are the measurements of the other components. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I have no math capability whatsoever!
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:16 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
Kassy_A wrote:
If you decide to go the DIY route, you can make comparable serums for pennies. That's the route I chose to take.

Kassy, could you please tell me how to work out the percentage for a 15% Vitamin C serum. I mix the Vitamin C with distilled water and glycerin. So if I start off with 1 tspn of Vitamin C what are the measurements of the other components. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I have no math capability whatsoever!

Tell me what you have on hand, and I'll give you a good recipe. I also need to know if you want to make an ounce or a half ounce. (I do an ounce and use it on arms and legs as well, it last's about 6 or 7 weeks)

By any chance do you have SKB (Sea Kelp Bioferment) on hand? I ask, because I just made a killer C serum with it.

Perhaps we should PM, in case nobody else is interested.. Confused

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
fab50
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:06 pm      Reply with quote
don't PM - post here!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:00 pm      Reply with quote
fab50 wrote:
don't PM - post here!

Laughing Laughing Laughing LMAO!

It helps if I know what actives and bases you have on hand, and what percent you want your seurm to be..

For instance, do you have any of the following on hand;

L-Ascorbic Acid crystal/powder
SKB
Vitamin E
Ferulic Acid
Retinol
Antiox Booster, or any peptides
Green Tea or other extracts
Grapeseed oil
Avocado oil
Coconut oil
Glycerin
Preservatives
HA
Juice Beauty (some make fabulous bases for serums)
KY Jelly (don't laugh, it makes a great anhydrous C serum)

I need to know what ya'll want to make... Laughing

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:50 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
Keliu wrote:
Kassy_A wrote:

Tell me what you have on hand, and I'll give you a good recipe. I also need to know if you want to make an ounce or a half ounce. (I do an ounce and use it on arms and legs as well, it last's about 6 or 7 weeks)

By any chance do you have SKB (Sea Kelp Bioferment) on hand? I ask, because I just made a killer C serum with it.

Kassy, I want to make 1 ounce of 15% Vitamin C serum.

I have:

Vitamin C crystals from Bulkactives
Vitamin E oil 100%
Distilled water
Glycerin
Avocado oil
SKB

In the past I've made my serum with just the Vit C, water and glycerin - I also put in some HA but then I think you posted somewhere not to use that with Vit C.

I don't know about adding the SKB because it dries like a tight mask on the skin. I usually apply that at night mixed with Skinactives Lets Make Collagen and the HA. I've been using the avocado oil with the Vaculifter.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:53 pm      Reply with quote
Right Keliu, the HA makes the PH too high, so it's better to avoid it.

Try this, I think you'll love it: (15% serum)

1 tsp. vitamin c
3 tsp. distilled water
1 tsp. glycerin
1 tsp. SKB (You can use 2 of this and forget the glycerin if you like)
1/4 tsp. E
1/2 tsp. vodka (don't laugh, you need it to dissolve the E Laughing

Dissolve the C in water stirring frequently (don't heat, just have patience..LOL). Now in a seperate small glass, mix all remaining ingredients. When all has dissolved, put it together into an amber or dark colored bottle, and shake a bit. You can refrigerate if you don't expect to use it within a few months.

If by any chance you have any of the Juice Beauty serums, you can use 1/2 tsp of that instead of the vodka. That's what I used this time, and I love it. If you ever get your hands on "Ferulic Acid", you can add it to this and have a killer serum. And you won't be spending $140. for it, that's the best part.. Laughing

fab50
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:28 am      Reply with quote
I'm very intrigued by this homemade VitC idea. I've tried a few, my favorite was probably PSF's, but I wasn't over the top about any of them. Currently I'm not using any VitC. Where do you buy your vit c? I read somewhere about crystal vs. powder and I can't remember which it said to get. Also, where do you buy sea kelp bioferment? For the vit e, can I just get 100% vit e oil from walmart? I'd probably pass on the glycerin, at least until winter, and double up on the SKB. I have vodka, and know where to get it when I run out. Wink

ETA: can you buy these ingredients (vit c, skb) in small quantities, or are they just sold in bulk? Also, I'm an oily girl - how will this feel on my face? Sorry for all the ?'s - the end!! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:03 am      Reply with quote
fab50 wrote:
I'm very intrigued by this homemade VitC idea. I've tried a few, my favorite was probably PSF's, but I wasn't over the top about any of them. Currently I'm not using any VitC. Where do you buy your vit c? I read somewhere about crystal vs. powder and I can't remember which it said to get. Also, where do you buy sea kelp bioferment? For the vit e, can I just get 100% vit e oil from walmart? I'd probably pass on the glycerin, at least until winter, and double up on the SKB. I have vodka, and know where to get it when I run out. Wink

ETA: can you buy these ingredients (vit c, skb) in small quantities, or are they just sold in bulk? Also, I'm an oily girl - how will this feel on my face? Sorry for all the ?'s - the end!! Smile

Here are some places to buy actives:
www.gardenofwisdom.com www.skinactives.com www.bulkactives.com and, of course www.cellbone.com

I get my SKB fromwww.ncnproskincare.com
and yes, the 100% Vitamin E is from the pharmacy. All the actives can be bought in small quantities. I have never found my homemade Vitamin C to feel oily on the face.

Not sure about the crystal Vitamin C versus powder - Kassy might have more info on that, but I buy the one from Bulkactives and I find it dissolves very easily.
fab50
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:39 am      Reply with quote
THANK YOU for all the info!!

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:16 am      Reply with quote
Keliu,

I've been checking out the sites you gave me, and it looks like skinactives.com is the only place I can order both the SKB and the vit c. Is that right (I'd rather confine my order to one place if possible)? Also, the SKB is a lotion-y type product?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:46 am      Reply with quote
fab50 wrote:
Keliu,

I've been checking out the sites you gave me, and it looks like skinactives.com is the only place I can order both the SKB and the vit c. Is that right (I'd rather confine my order to one place if possible)? Also, the SKB is a lotion-y type product?

Yes, everything you need can be found at skinactives.com. While your at it, get the Ferulic Acid as well.

As long as you get the Vitamin C (L-Ascorbic Acid) from one of the places Kelui offered, it will be the right thing so don't worry. I don't recommend buying it at drugstore etc, because most have fillers you don't want.

Rather than take this thread off topic, it would probably be better to put further recipe's and or questions, on this DIY thread...That way we can really have at it.. Very Happy

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?tid=5981

ETA: SKB is a lovely clear gel!

fab50
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:11 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Kassy and Keliu!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:08 pm      Reply with quote
O.K. I did it again...after doing what I thought was research on Vit C..I ordered Diane Yvonne's...it has HA and not vit E.. Mad From what I read here..it was not a good choice.. Crying or Very sad

Hmmmm...can I add vit e to the the vit c...and next time I think I am going to make my own...
Lou
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:28 pm      Reply with quote
Loumomofthree wrote:
O.K. I did it again...after doing what I thought was research on Vit C..I ordered Diane Yvonne's...it has HA and not vit E.. Mad From what I read here..it was not a good choice.. Crying or Very sad

Hmmmm...can I add vit e to the the vit c...and next time I think I am going to make my own...
Lou

Don't fret Lou! Lot's of vitamin C serums contain HA, I just don't happen to like it because if the C in the serum is L-Ascorbic, it has to be at a PH 3.5 or lower to absorb into the deeper layers of skin. Because most of the HA products have a PH of between 6 and 8, I just feel the serum won't absorb well....It's just MHO after a great deal of research.

In the meantime, it shouldn't be a problem adding vitamin E to your serum. I don't know what the ingredients are in the Dianna Yvonne serum, but I'm sure it will be fine..

When you get ready to put your 'lab' coat on, get in touch... Very Happy

Loumomofthree
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:28 am      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
Don't fret Lou! Lot's of vitamin C serums contain HA, I just don't happen to like it because if the C in the serum is L-Ascorbic, it has to be at a PH 3.5 or lower to absorb into the deeper layers of skin. Because most of the HA products have a PH of between 6 and 8, I just feel the serum won't absorb well....It's just MHO after a great deal of research.

In the meantime, it shouldn't be a problem adding vitamin E to your serum. I don't know what the ingredients are in the Dianna Yvonne serum, but I'm sure it will be fine..

When you get ready to put your 'lab' coat on, get in touch... Very Happy

Hi Kassy,
Thanks again for the great help.
I will use up my vit c..(went through my vivier bottle in under 3 months) and then I may try to make my own. I may still order some vit e and add a few drops to the vit c.

ingredients to Dianne Yvonne vit c..Ingredients: Distilled water, L-Ascorbic Acid, Hyaluronic Aid ...Yikes!!!

Now that the kids are out of school for the summer I hope to have a little more time to understand the role ingredients play in a product...thanks to Great women like you..I should be a chemist soon... Very Happy
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:47 am      Reply with quote
You're welcome Lou!

I'm sure you'll be fine using the serum. HA gives a nice consistency, so that's why I think it's used in so many products.

A word about HA for any DIY's out there.. If you want to incorporate HA in your serums, use it very sparingly, or you'll have a snotty, slimy, goopy mess on your hands.. Shock Shock Shock

Suk Han
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:39 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy:

Would you kindly give me an ingredient of 15% C Serum with ferulic and E in measurement. Do I need to put vodka/juice Beauty antioxidant serum to dilute the ferulic?

I have small amount of SKB, but I need to purchase the ferulic.

Thank you.
bciw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:10 pm      Reply with quote
do any of these DIY sites won't ship overseas.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:19 pm      Reply with quote
bciw wrote:
do any of these DIY sites won't ship overseas.

Most ship internationally - just check their shipping information!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:17 pm      Reply with quote
some noob questions: what is a base, what it does, and what to look for.
flyflyonly
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:53 pm      Reply with quote
VC products are always not stable, so, are the formulas listed above safe enough to keep?
chenhui
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:21 am      Reply with quote
It seemed very interesting by IDY vitamin c serum,but everyone know VC products are always not stable,how to solve this problem?If the concentration doesn't command,I think it may hate our skin.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:47 am      Reply with quote
flyflyonly wrote:
VC products are always not stable, so, are the formulas listed above safe enough to keep?

The whole advantage of making your own Vitamin C Serum is that you will know it is fresh. If you make it in small batches, you will use it up before it has a chance to go off. In the event that it does go off (something that has never happened to me so far) - just throw it away and make some more - it's so cheap.

Edited to add: Adding a small amount of Ferulic Acid and Vitamin E Oil will also help to keep your serum stable.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:01 am      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
Keliu wrote:
Kassy_A wrote:

hi kassy,

I would like to know does sea kelp bioferment = Sea Kelp Extract ?

because i can only find sea kelp extract in this sitehttp://www.makingcosmetics.com/Sea-Kelp-Extract-p1450.html

Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:40 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |