Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

dyeing eyebrows that have grey hairs.
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
patzy
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:04 pm      Reply with quote
I've broke the bank trying to find a tint/dye/brow mascara that doesn't fade off the grey hairs in a few days or is too dark for my very, very fair complexion.

I've even used DIY hair color which is great, because I can mix the color so it isn't too dark, but the color doesn't stay on the grey hairs except for a very short time.

I've used TouchBack in Light Brown and Ash Blond, the color fades off the grey in a few hours at most. I've used Tintocil with the included developer and was thrilled thinking I'd found the answer to my quest, but even when avoiding washing the eyebrow area, within a week the color faded. Sad

What do you gals with those pesky grey eyebrow hairs do? Salons always dye them way too dark and the repeated visits to the salon is crazy.

Also I'm concerned with any possible eye damage. Shock help!

P.S. I ordered eyebrow powder with a white stick that helps the powder adhere to the hair..but haven't received it yet so don't know if I've thrown good money after bad. Rolling Eyes
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:51 pm      Reply with quote
when I touch up my grey hair I also put a dot of hair dye on a couple stray white eyebrows.If you dont want to do that you can use anastacias brow gel that is colored to cover it up.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:30 am      Reply with quote
Have you tried eyelash dye?

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:31 am      Reply with quote
"What precautions should you take if you dye your hair? ... Never dye your eyebrows or eyelashes. This can hurt your eyes. You might even go blind. FDA does not allow using hair dyes on eyelashes and eyebrows."
http://www.fda.gov/Cosmetics/ResourcesForYou/Consumers/CosmeticsQA/ucm167436.htm

When you are using proper eyebrow/ lash dye, how long are you leaving it? Grey hairs are thicker and more resistant to taking the colour. The product I use recommends 5-10 mins for lashes and 2 mins for brows, but I leave brows for the full lash time to get the depth of colour I want.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
patzy
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:22 pm      Reply with quote
Firefox7275 wrote:
"What precautions should you take if you dye your hair? ... Never dye your eyebrows or eyelashes. This can hurt your eyes. You might even go blind. FDA does not allow using hair dyes on eyelashes and eyebrows."
http://www.fda.gov/Cosmetics/ResourcesForYou/Consumers/CosmeticsQA/ucm167436.htm

When you are using proper eyebrow/ lash dye, how long are you leaving it? Grey hairs are thicker and more resistant to taking the colour. The product I use recommends 5-10 mins for lashes and 2 mins for brows, but I leave brows for the full lash time to get the depth of colour I want.

I've yet to find an eyebrow dye that doesn't come out black or near to black no matter what color they state it is. I've used DIY hair dye and left it on for an hour and in a few days the dye fades away. I've even used dye for men's beards and it is gone by day 3. Most guys that use it say that is common and they have to repeatedly dye. I don't want to be dyeing my brows that often, I can imagine eventually there may be some skin irritation or worse.
I imagine if I had the complexion and hair color for dark eyebrows, I might have some success. But with a very fair complexion I look like Groucho Marx.
How long does does the dye you use last? Do you have grey hairs?
As I said I sent for the "professional Tintocil in light brown and ended up with DARK brows within 3 mins and it wore off within a week. The only folks I know that have success with eyebrow dyes are those that don't have grey hairs so the eventual loss of the dye color isn't all that apparent.
I received the powder I mentioned in my post and even tho they state it is "Wheat Blond, it is actually a dark grey color. I've been told to look for lighter colors in the eye shadow area of a local store to get a color that is closer to what would look good and hopefully half way natural and of course, would stay on for the day.
I've known others that have even given up on going to a salon for the eyebrow tint as it comes out too dark and wears away and doing that repeatedly is costly to say the least. I'm beginning to think there is no product that works on grey eyebrow hairs (and I've tried a ton of them). Mad Sad
patzy
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:40 pm      Reply with quote
lucyluc wrote:
when I touch up my grey hair I also put a dot of hair dye on a couple stray white eyebrows.If you dont want to do that you can use anastacias brow gel that is colored to cover it up.

I've used hair dye on my eyebrows and it fades away fast. I was just dyeing as needed but the skin under around by brows got red and swollen.
Sad
patzy
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:50 pm      Reply with quote
A (somewhat) funny experience in my quest for an eyebrow color. I ordered Rashell Masc-A-Grey in Golden Blond. I was initially happy as it was thick enough to cover the eyebrow hairs and went about my day content and when I pulled up in front of my home I happened to glance in the rear view mirror and caught my reflection. My brows in daylight were GOLD! I looked like I was being prepped for the role of Data (in Star Trek Generations)! Very Happy Literally gold, and I had been out and about all day with that stuff on. Embarassed
If only they could get the colors right and drop the shimmer they add, this could be the product I'd use.
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:19 am      Reply with quote
another alternative would be to take a thin brush or toothpick and brush on a thin coat of mascara on the white hairs. You could also take a very soft eyebrow pencil and dab the pencil on the white hairs.If you heat it up with the blow dryer for a couple seconds it makes it easier to touch up the greys.I also trim the grey hairs too.
health2u
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:11 pm      Reply with quote
Lancome makes an eyebrow groomer that comes in several colors.
I use that to cover a little patch of white hairs that seem to be growing daily.
I've used this stuff for at least 10 years - before I started getting white eyebrows - and It really does make my eyebrows look well groomed, and keeps me from having to deal with filling in my eyebrows with powder or pencils, which I'm not good at, and that don't really cover white hairs.

Looks like mascara in a thin tube, and it may seem a little gooey when you first brush your brows with it, but it really is great stuff. Aside from keeping my eyebrows from looking unkempt, it really does cover the white ones.

HTH

http://www.lancome-usa.com/Mod%C3%A8le-Sourcils/458020,default,pd.html?cm_mmc=LabeliumSearch-_-GoogleBrand-_-Makeup-_-lancome%20brow%20groomer
patzy
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:34 pm      Reply with quote
health2u wrote:
Lancome makes an eyebrow groomer that comes in several colors.
I use that to cover a little patch of white hairs that seem to be growing daily.
I've used this stuff for at least 10 years - before I started getting white eyebrows - and It really does make my eyebrows look well groomed, and keeps me from having to deal with filling in my eyebrows with powder or pencils, which I'm not good at, and that don't really cover white hairs.

Looks like mascara in a thin tube, and it may seem a little gooey when you first brush your brows with it, but it really is great stuff. Aside from keeping my eyebrows from looking unkempt, it really does cover the white ones.

HTH

http://www.lancome-usa.com/Mod%C3%A8le-Sourcils/458020,default,pd.html?cm_mmc=LabeliumSearch-_-GoogleBrand-_-Makeup-_-lancome%20brow%20groomer

thanks so much for the tip. I didn't get an email alert, but found this while doing a search for something that works on white eyebrow hairs. Does it last all day? It is hard to tell by the site photos how the colors actually look. I've had so many failures in that area also. I used to use Lancome mascara that was water proof and yet you could easily wash it off Very Happy at the end of the day. I may go ahead and try the product since I've been pleased by their products in the past. Thanks again and I'll report back as to my findings and results.
CrystalCandy
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:11 pm      Reply with quote
Do you use 20 volume peroxyde? It won't stay if it's less than 20 vol.
patzy
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:56 pm      Reply with quote
CrystalCandy wrote:
Do you use 20 volume peroxyde? It won't stay if it's less than 20 vol.

Yes. DIY hair color comes with 20% and I've even tried 30%. Shock thinking of trying ' Gray Magic' the drops you add to the dye.

today I used Masc-a-Grey eyebrow mascara. I'll have to check it out in sunlight to see if it is overly gold or too orangey. (light golden blonde)

I'd really rather avoid dyes tho in desperation as you can see from previous posts I have...but don't want to have a bad reaction one day....only given one set of eyes. Exclamation
health2u
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:05 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
thanks so much for the tip. I didn't get an email alert, but found this while doing a search for something that works on white eyebrow hairs. Does it last all day? It is hard to tell by the site photos how the colors actually look. I've had so many failures in that area also. I used to use Lancome mascara that was water proof and yet you could easily wash it off at the end of the day. I may go ahead and try the product since I've been pleased by their products in the past. Thanks again and I'll report back as to my findings and results.

Sorry I missed this. The brow groomer lasts until you wash it off, with no flaking or smudging. I don't think it's waterproof - it washes off with soap and water.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:06 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |