Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

First time user with Retin a, help is appreciated!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Beck13
5% products discount

Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:41 pm      Reply with quote
hey everyone, I'm sorry if this has been posted before. I'm new and had a hard time finding a post like this.

so I started retin a .025 cream a couple nights ago. I applied it with a little bit of my dermalogica smoothing cream. heard this helps with irritation.
I have oily/combination skin. would I be able to use retin a every other night for now? should I cut back on how many times I exfoliate during the week? Would I also be able to use an aha toner?
feedback would be awesome!
NotMeNotYou
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:46 pm      Reply with quote
I'm not a Retin A user but have read most of those threads. The general advice is if you are a first time user you should not apply it daily in the beginning, until your skin adjusts. Every 2-3 days is common. You should also not use AHA products the same day you use Retin A as the exfoliation from both combined tends to be too much for most people. Start slow, see how your skin reacts and adjust accordingly.

5% products discount

Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:31 am      Reply with quote
thank you notmenotyou!
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:59 am      Reply with quote
What has your dermatologist advised? Is there any guidance in the patient information leaflet?

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
Beck13
5% products discount

Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:02 am      Reply with quote
I didn't see a dermatologist. I went to just a good ol doctor. I live too far from any derm's. He didn't say a thing!! Hes quite old. He just said my skin will get dry. Go figure. My leaflet says to apply after 20 mins of cleansing, and it didn't say how often.

I'm just curious if theres a routine that anyone uses that helps with peeling or redness?
rockhugger
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:48 am      Reply with quote
A humidifier in the bedroom and La Roche-Posay Cicaplast on the off nights got me through my very peely first winter of Retin A. Mornings, I used Olay Regen serum fragrance free under Olay Complete sensitive SPF 15 classic gentle formula.

This second winter is much easier (so far), and my routine is simpler, just CeraVe SPF 30 in the morning, and Olay Regenerist serum ff on the off nights.

5% products discount

Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:52 am      Reply with quote
rockhugger, do you use any exfoliating products?I know retin a already exfoliates skin, so should I cut back on my exfoliating?
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:52 am      Reply with quote
Firefox, I'm not sure where you live, but not everyone has a derm. They're not considered essential by most health plans so not included, and quite pricey to visit for most of us.
I notice you always ask like you're assuming everyone has one. We're not being negligent, we just don't have easy access.
I'm sure if more of us had one, or inexpensive salons we could visit frequently, skincare boards like this wouldn't be half as popular and people wouldn't be asking so many basic questions. I for one, don't have anyone else to ask.
Just fyi Smile

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
rockhugger
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:05 am      Reply with quote
I cut way back on exfoliating when I started RA, and I think that was essential. I also remember I used a super-gentle cleanser in the mornings (LRP Toleriane), and something like Olay gentle foaming cleanser for sensitive skin in the evenings.

A couple months ago I started using Clarisonic Mia with cleansing in the evenings (first every other night for a couple of weeks, now every night), and it keeps my skin nicely exfoliated.

RA exfoliates skin from the inside out, unlike other exfoliants that work from the outside in. I was as gentle as possible, and had occasional peely days, but in the end it's totally worth it! You can PM me for before and after photos.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:13 am      Reply with quote
LoriA wrote:
Firefox, I'm not sure where you live, but not everyone has a derm. They're not considered essential by most health plans so not included, and quite pricey to visit for most of us.
I notice you always ask like you're assuming everyone has one. We're not being negligent, we just don't have easy access.
I'm sure if more of us had one, or inexpensive salons we could visit frequently, skincare boards like this wouldn't be half as popular and people wouldn't be asking so many basic questions. I for one, don't have anyone else to ask.
Just fyi Smile

Thank you but I am aware of that. Technically I asked two questions, it is you who made the assumption as to the motive! Wink Many years ago I qualified in pharmacy, so I learned to first ask the patient/ client what they have already been advised as regards a prescription medicine. IMO that is particularly important on forums where most responders are not medically qualified (albeit knowledgeable) and we know little about the OP's age, skin issues or skin type.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:23 am      Reply with quote
Beck13 wrote:
I didn't see a dermatologist. I went to just a good ol doctor. I live too far from any derm's. He didn't say a thing!! Hes quite old. He just said my skin will get dry. Go figure. My leaflet says to apply after 20 mins of cleansing, and it didn't say how often.

I'm just curious if theres a routine that anyone uses that helps with peeling or redness?

Shock Pharmacists can make good substitutes for lazy doctors in respect of many skin ailments or medication concerns, and they have the advantage of being able to see your skin. Not to suggest you shouldn't ask here, just a (free) safety net. Very Happy

butterflyrainbow
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:33 am      Reply with quote
I use retin a at night for acne, and the derm I saw had me using a 2% salicylic acid AHA by day. I wouldn't advise starting with that, but as your skin grows more tolerant, and if you are using RA for acne, I highly recommend the RA at night, AHA by day method. You won't need to exfoliate often, in fact exfoliating too much will irritate and dry out your skin making it peel. To counteract peeling, use an oil free moisturizer.
butterflyrainbow
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:38 am      Reply with quote
And, to chime in about the derm issue, I used to see a derm regularly when I had health insurance. It definitely got me on the right path, but getting my skin under control has been a long process of trial and error. The derm helped point in new directions, but the most common things he said were to wait longer to see how a product works, don't add anything new to the routine, and don't pick at your face.

Over time I have shifted what he suggested. Now that I don't have health insurance I have explored cheaper options like ordering Retin A from abroad, ideas that I learned how to do here. I think taking your skincare in your own hands is a good thing if you do the research. That's why I like looking at the EDS forum so much. Each person's skin does its own thing, and we can learn from each other's experience.
Beck13
5% products discount

Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:17 pm      Reply with quote
Awesome, thanks rockhugger. I love to exfoliate, so I will def cut back on that. AHA would be good to use on my off days from retin a?

Firefox, my pharmacist said to put retin a on every night.. I heard that can be too much? She also said I can put it on my face after supper then take off before bed so my skin gets used to it. I feel that is a waste of retin a!
I've only used Retin a twice so far, a day rest in between and this morning my nail scrapped my chin and peeled my skin off! I was shocked. Maybe I should cut back to every 3rd day for now.
I appreciate everyone's opinions!
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:53 pm      Reply with quote
never really been able to use retin a, always made me red and flaky. I do use however Revive retinol complex. Its much gentler and does not make me peel and leaves you with a healthy glow.
lifecoach
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:48 am      Reply with quote
I used to use Retin A with my obagi regime.

I have stopped Obagi but would like too know what do people mix with their Retin at night.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:34 am      Reply with quote
Beck13 wrote:
my pharmacist said to put retin a on every night.. I heard that can be too much? She also said I can put it on my face after supper then take off before bed so my skin gets used to it.

She sounds to be talking about a form of short term contact, but I am not sure that has been confirmed to work with Retin A. I believe it was only Tazorac that short term contact works with. However, I don't think it is a waste. I would think that from the hours after supper to bedtime (4-5??) would be long enough to be on the skin. I would start very slowly with only 1-2 nights a week and slowly build up. Some people can tolerate RA every day, others not. You have to see what your skin can handle (and even derms can't tell you that!).
Ava with wings
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:33 pm      Reply with quote
No moisturizer ever helped with the peeling. Even at .25 it was horrific, red skin that fell off in snake sheets all over my keyboard at work. Straight up oil worked really well, but it took a while to figure out. The is a thread on hemp oil, and I eventually settled on using that. Worked better than anything else. If you are concerned using straight oil, I was too (I started using retin a because I was sick and tired of acne) but it completely changed the chemistry of my skin. Now I'm putting oil back into it all the time instead of using blotting papers a dozen times a day.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=34098&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=hemp&start=0

5% products discount

Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:18 am      Reply with quote
I've been using retin-a for a couple of years now and took months to get through the irritation, burning etc.. I never got over the peeling though. My makeup always looked terrible so I resigned myself to only using retin-a twice a week to reduce the flakey skin.

2 months ago I found my miracle..... Nivea Creme!! Seriously, It's miraculous! I use retin-a daily now, follow it with Nia-24 and then, just before I go to sleep, I lather on the thick goop which is nivea creme. My skin is glowing in the morning, i swear by it...

The Nia 24 is worth a look too. It builds the barrier up, the same area that is compromised with retin-a use. A logical pair I think, it keeps my skin even toned and the clinical studies convince me to stick with the retin-a/niacin combo.
lifecoach
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:11 am      Reply with quote
Oh okay - I did not realise that you could use retin A straight without mixing it with something.
Beck13
5% products discount

Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:49 pm      Reply with quote
lifecoach, I have been mixing my retin a with vitamin e. its not necessary but the cream is so thick and hard to spread evenly all over the face AND I'm hoping it helps with peeling. So far I have no peeling! Knock on wood! Very Happy
Beck13
5% products discount

Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:56 pm      Reply with quote
Ava with wings wrote:
No moisturizer ever helped with the peeling. Even at .25 it was horrific, red skin that fell off in snake sheets all over my keyboard at work. Straight up oil worked really well, but it took a while to figure out. The is a thread on hemp oil, and I eventually settled on using that. Worked better than anything else. If you are concerned using straight oil, I was too (I started using retin a because I was sick and tired of acne) but it completely changed the chemistry of my skin. Now I'm putting oil back into it all the time instead of using blotting papers a dozen times a day.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=34098&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=hemp&start=0

im also putting more oil into my skin and my skin just glows! but not an oily glow. but since using retin a i have to oil. any oils you would recommend or serums?
Beck13
5% products discount

Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:02 pm      Reply with quote
I have a question for all you on here.
Ever use a microdermabrasion tool at home? Like PMD or Nubrilliance? Hear anything about it?

I would love to try it, but since starting retin a i know that is impossible unless i quit retin a. I wonder how it compares?
rockhugger
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:06 pm      Reply with quote
Oooh, safflower oil! My derm prescribed a safflower-oil-rich moisturizer to use for RA dryness, but it broke me out (probably the waxes in it). Safflower oil is rich in ceramides, which your skin soon runs out of when stimulated by RA. And the pure oil is not supposed to be comedogenic.

Another option is a niacinamide-rich moisturizer like Olay Regenerist serum or NIA24, because niacinamide stimulates skin cells to produce more ceramides. Yet another possibility is CeraVe lotion, either AM or PM, because they're well-formulated with lots of ceramides.

5% products discount

Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:53 pm      Reply with quote
Which ceramide lotion would you recommend? Or serum?
I have acne prone skin, sensitive as well.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:39 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |