Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

chemical peels
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:28 am      Reply with quote
I've never had a chemical peel done before and am interested. I want to revitalize my skin. I have some darker spots due to acne pigmentation, some enlarged pores and a few small blemishes. My skin is sensitive and I don't want a chemical peel to "burn" my skin and make my skin look worse! My skin is also quite dry, so I don't want a chemical peel to cause my skin to flake. What should I expect from a chemical peel?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:41 am      Reply with quote
Well.. it is a process. start slow and continue on with your plan. You don't just get one peel and have great skin. There are also different kinds of peels. So you need to choose which chemical peel you want to go with..then commit to a game plan. You need to be open to the fact that there might be some trial and error. some peels work better for some than others. If you want big change..the reality is you have to do a series of peels and graduate up to stronger peels and that means periods of red peeling skin... but underneath will be improved skin. There is no easy way..even though cosmetic companies try to sell that.
For me, I've done glycolic peels for years..but it made my skin red. I continued with them because they were "the" thing to do.
Then I did obaji nuderm.. it was radical and made my skin peel and ugly for a few months..but it made my skin beautiful. AFter that I continued on with retin a (a great thing) and I also have done some tca peels..which I like better for my skin, then glycolic. I also use copper peptides now too.
Overall ... women who use peels and prettier skin. It may take you three to six months ..but you can rebuild your skin to improved tone, texture,and clarity.

be brave..and good luck,
NotMeNotYou
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:18 pm      Reply with quote
Dry and sensiive skin is a sign that your acid mantle is disturbed and your first priority should be to address that. The acid mantle contains not only ceramides that protect your skinfrom ageing but also beneficial flora (like your intestines) that prevent infection in your skin. With a disturbed acid mantle you will experience more rapid ageing, blemishes and some forms of hyperpigmentation are caused by a skin fungal infection.

Peels are best performed on healthy skin that will bounce back quickly and re-establish its acid mantle. As a peel will strip this. As your skin is already compromised a peel at this stage may initially smooth the top layer but could also exacerbate your present issues if your skin is not able to re-establish its balance. Further, if your skin is sensitive due to a lack of protection already you may experience higher levels of irritation (than otherwise) from the peel and possibly post inflammatory
hyperpigmentation.

I would look at your present skim care routine first. Any kind of foaming cleanser containing either cationic or anionic surfactants could be the cause of your present problems. Eliminating those will help a great deal. Once your skin has its natural defense mechanism re-established then other topical treatments will be worth consideration.

Please also have a read of this...
http://www.beautymagonline.com/pages/epidermal_integrity_16.htm

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:55 pm      Reply with quote
Couldn't have put it better, NotMeNotYou. Cool

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:51 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
I would look at your present skim care routine first. Any kind of foaming cleanser containing either cationic or anionic surfactants could be the cause of your present problems. Eliminating those will help a great deal. Once your skin has its natural defense mechanism re-established then other topical treatments will be worth consideration.

the thing is that my skin has always been normal to dry, but now that it's winter, it's a bit more dry. As for skincare regime and cleansers, I never use any soaps or gel cleansers. My skincare regime is as follows:

Dermalogica ultra soothing cleanser
Clarisonic
cellcosmet eye cream
Argan oil as moisturizer
Retin-A at night

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:16 pm      Reply with quote
BCgirl wrote:

the thing is that my skin has always been normal to dry, but now that it's winter, it's a bit more dry. As for skincare regime and cleansers, I never use any soaps or gel cleansers. My skincare regime is as follows:

Dermalogica ultra soothing cleanser
Clarisonic
cellcosmet eye cream
Argan oil as moisturizer
Retin-A at night

Argan oil has occlusive and emollient properties, but is not a humectant AFAIK. Maybe add one into your routine? My skin loves either a plain hyaluronic acid serum or aloe vera gel emulsified in the hand with an oil or oil based product.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
NotMeNotYou
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:30 am      Reply with quote
Well revealing you use Retin A fills in the picture somewhat. While your Dermalogica cleanser is irritant free you are using a motorised brush and Retin A, both of which will irritate your skin to some degree.

Argan oil, while an excellent oil, is not a complete solution to skin which has been chemically abraded by Retin A.

Since you are already using a strong exfoliant you can expect more of the same from a chemical peel both in terms of skin reactivity and results. You will also have to cease Retin A for some period pre and post peel to avoid seriously burning your skin.

I think the answer to your desires lies in discovering why Retin A has not been able to resolve your pigmentation and lack of vitality in the skin. Since it is an oft prescribed topical for exactly those issues. If your pigmentation is unresponsive to Retin A it may possibly lie deep in the dermis and a peel will be unable to affect it also.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:35 am      Reply with quote
All this points to how differnt things work for different people and skin types. You might want to try a peel and see if it works for you.

For example, I had IPL treatments for hyper pigmentation. The treatments made my condition worse..while others rave over how IPL works for them. I also love CeRave cream - think it is the best thing ever.. and others on the forum say it makes their skin red and irritated.

So much of skincare is just trying different products and methods and seeing what improves your skin.

When I read through all the threads on CP's, Obaji, or any dyi gagdget. I see success stories along with lukewarm and negative reviews.

All we can do is read the science..take a common sense approach and give a plan a chance and move on it it doesn't work.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:57 pm      Reply with quote
NotMeNotYou wrote:

Since you are already using a strong exfoliant you can expect more of the same from a chemical peel both in terms of skin reactivity and results.

I think the answer to your desires lies in discovering why Retin A has not been able to resolve your pigmentation and lack of vitality in the skin. Since it is an oft prescribed topical for exactly those issues.

I don't agree. I think a mild peel, like lactic acid, can actually help with moisture and in removing dry skin to reveal more "radiance". There are a ton of different peels out there, and one really needs to do a lot of research/study before attempting them.

Retin A very rarely, on its own, helps with pigmentation issues. If it helps at all, it will take a very long time (talking at least 1 year). Usually one needs other things along with Retin A to help with pigmentation issues. I am not sure why this misconception comes up all the time, but Retin A is NOT an exfoliant. The main ingredient is irritating/drying, which I guess is why people always think RA is an exfoliant, but it isn't. It works on a deeper level.
hotdocgirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:26 pm      Reply with quote
Riley Girl. I think when it comes to pigmentation issues and improvement. It is all relative. Many products"help" but do not totally remove the problem.
So, we all get misled somewhat, thinking a product will totally get rid of brown spots..when what most do is fade them by more than 50%..which is really nice but not enough.

I think retin a used with a 30 plus sunscreen for a long time will naturally lessen the problem. But in my experience..only hydroquinone has zapped them for good. (damn!)
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:53 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:

I don't agree. I think a mild peel, like lactic acid, can actually help with moisture and in removing dry skin to reveal more "radiance". There are a ton of different peels out there, and one really needs to do a lot of research/study before attempting them.

Retin A very rarely, on its own, helps with pigmentation issues. If it helps at all, it will take a very long time (talking at least 1 year). Usually one needs other things along with Retin A to help with pigmentation issues. I am not sure why this misconception comes up all the time, but Retin A is NOT an exfoliant. The main ingredient is irritating/drying, which I guess is why people always think RA is an exfoliant, but it isn't. It works on a deeper level.

My sensitive skin loves the hydrating and exfoliating effects of light lactic acid peels, I cannot understand why they are not more recommended more frequently. Very Happy IMO it's not wise to chemically peel skin that is already irritated, you risk triggering chronic low grade inflammation and/ or a dermatitis condition.

Sorry to seem pedantic but Retin-A really is an exfoliant, albeit as a common side effect rather than its primary function in anti-aging. I think confusion arises because the dictionary/ medical definition of exfoliate has been manipulated by the beauty industry. Embarassed IMO the correct definition should be applied when we are referring to a prescription drug because users need to be fully appraised of the benefits, risks and interactions. Food allergies and metabolic disorders can cause exfoliation not just topical agents, so the depth of penetration is a red herring.

System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:01 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |