Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Clean/Green Mascara and Deodorant?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
nmmclach

Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:07 pm      Reply with quote
Hello Members! I'm new here, and very excited to be a part of this community.

I'm hoping that I can get some advice on a clean/natural mascara. I have been using 100 Percent Pure, but unfortunately have had some issues with their shipping to Canada. Has anyone had any luck with Dr. Hauschka, Jane Iredale, Real Purity, etc, etc? My search for clean mascara is one of the last remaining products I'm having issues with "cleaning up"... that, and a great natural deodorant (I've tried Soapwalla, Toms, Kiss My Face, One Love Organics, Crawford Street... whew). So, mascara and/or deodorant? Any advice would be much appreciated!! Hope to be able to offer assistance to some of you in the future as well!

Sincerely,

n
onmyboat
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:18 pm      Reply with quote
Can I ask... what did you think of the deodorants you've tried? I've looking for a natural stick deo and I'll probably order from well.ca, and there are so many choices. I'm leaning toward Tom's Unscented.

Also, if you're interested in buying 100% Pure mascara, ebeauty.ca sells it and they offer free shipping on $25+ orders. Though they only have Blueberry at the moment.
butterflyrainbow
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:03 am      Reply with quote
I haven't used it in years, but there was a period where I only used Dr. Hauschka mascara. It felt so nice and soft going on and looked really good, but it did smudge a bit.
butterflyrainbow
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:06 am      Reply with quote
For deodorant, I alternate between using one of those crystals that you wet and apply and Weleda spray deodorants.

The crystals are pretty decent, you don't smell bad but you still sweat. I alternate between brands and find them all to be OK, none standing out a ton more than another.

The Weleda is my favorite, but sometime you do smell a bit, er, human. But in a good way. The way I look at it is that it gets rid of the - but not the pheromones.
nmmclach

Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:01 am      Reply with quote
onmyboat wrote:
Can I ask... what did you think of the deodorants you've tried? I've looking for a natural stick deo and I'll probably order from well.ca, and there are so many choices. I'm leaning toward Tom's Unscented.

Also, if you're interested in buying 100% Pure mascara, ebeauty.ca sells it and they offer free shipping on $25+ orders. Though they only have Blueberry at the moment.

Sure thing! Of the deodorants I tried, some were better than others (Soapwalla, In Love with Body Care were almost there, but Lavanilla, L'Occitane, Toms did not work for me at all). I do think a lot of it has to do with the individual and our body chemistry, so maybe Toms will work for you. I also found that I sweat more with some than others (Soapwalla was great for inhibiting some of the sweat). I miss anti-perspirant in that respect, though I know it can't be healthy for one's body Sad My search continues... I'll definitely keep you posted!

And thanks for the 100 percent pure scoop- blueberry is actually the colour I prefer and I've been looking for!
nmmclach

Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:05 am      Reply with quote
butterflyrainbow wrote:
For deodorant, I alternate between using one of those crystals that you wet and apply and Weleda spray deodorants.

The crystals are pretty decent, you don't smell bad but you still sweat. I alternate between brands and find them all to be OK, none standing out a ton more than another.

The Weleda is my favorite, but sometime you do smell a bit, er, human. But in a good way. The way I look at it is that it gets rid of the - but not the pheromones.

Hehe, I love the "er, human"... so true! Is it bad that I don't want any smell whatsoever??!! Crazy what we've become... would rather our pits smell like Tahitian mixed drinks than our own body chemistry!

I haven't tried Weleda or the Crystal yet, so I may just give those a shot. Thanks for the advice, and for the tip on Dr. Hauschka mascara!
hotdocgirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:28 am      Reply with quote
Physicians Formula has an organic green line of make up. They have foundation and mascara. The deodorant question? I'd check Whole Body website...or google reviews on the topic and see what you find.
butterflyrainbow
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:37 pm      Reply with quote
haha! I love your "Tahitian Mixed Drinks" description for most body product scents! After getting into more natural products and real essential oils, I just can't stand the smell of synthetic fragrance in anything... Sometimes I think I could turn into Julianne Moore's character from the movie "Safe," hiding from every perceived toxin...
Bessie
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:31 pm      Reply with quote
For deodorant, try using Milk of Magnesia (I use the generic one from Shoppers Drug Mart). A little on each armpit and, voila, no smell. If you want extra strength, add a few drops of tea tree oil (my husband does). It's cheap and cheerful Smile

As for mascara, I'm still looking for a natural one too. I would prefer one that I can buy from a retail store instead of having to order online (hate waiting!).

Have a wonderful holiday season everyone! Cheers, Bess
onmyboat
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:02 pm      Reply with quote
So for people who want to try out a product instead of blindly ordering online, apparently Smashbox Bionic mascara and Bare Escentuals Flawless Definition Curl & Lengthen Mascara are considered "green."

http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/product/158968/Smashbox_Bionic_Mascara%2C_Jet_Black/

http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/product/418297/Bare_Escentuals_Flawless_Definition_Curl_%26_Lengthen_Mascara/

Both contain PHENOXYETHANOL, though.

I think I'll end up purchasing 100 Pure mascara. The reviews seem consistently favourable and there are so few natural mascaras that I can try out in real life, and I just don't want to order something I've never tried, and end up paying sizeable shipping charges only to dislike it.
hzzyjane
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:56 pm      Reply with quote
I used to work at Whole Foods and non of the natural deodorants cut it for me (I tried MANY!)
The only ones I've used that worked well were Dr. Mist, a dead sea salt spray (it would even work the second day, when I didn't shower!) and the other thing that works well is fresh lemon juice. I usually use that now, as it's much less expensive and more easily obtainable than Dr. Mist. I've been very impressed with it- it has to be fresh, though and it does temporarily sting after I've shaved.
nmmclach

Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:59 am      Reply with quote
Thank you for all of the replies! I have to tell you about a brand I found and have tried for the last four days, called Real Purity. I bought their mascara and their deodorant, and I love BOTH! I even fell asleep with the mascara on, and while I noticed a bit of colour under my bottom lashes when I woke up, it was nothing much at all. I am thoroughly impressed... and it takes a lot to impress me, on both fronts. Happy Happy Very Happy
onmyboat
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:38 am      Reply with quote
I've been trying out Terra Naturals Unscented deodorant, and it's a no-go. It feels nice on, no irritation but it does nothing to hide smell. I have nothing going on right now, but I'd never wear this when I have class, etc. Too risky.

ETA: I'm reading Whole Living magazine right now, and they have a feature on "greening" your gym bag. They feature Secret Natural Mineral deodorant, with a blurb that says it neutralizes odours with calcium carbonate. So I googled it. The Secret website didn't have the ingredients list but Amazon did.

Ingredients
Active Ingredients: Aluminum Zirconium Trichlorohydrex Gly (18%)Inactive Ingredients: Cyclopentasiloxane, Stearyl Alcohol, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, PPG-14 Butyl Ether, Cyclodextrin, Petrolatum, Phenyl Trimethicone, Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Calcium Carbonate, Ozokerite, Behenyl Alcohol, Fragrance **Masking Fragrance

It actually contains 2% more of Aluminum Zirconium Trichlorohydrex Gly than the non-"natural" Secret deodorant. Gotta love green-washing.
onmyboat
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:29 pm      Reply with quote
nmmclach, how do you find the blueberry colour for 100 Pure mascara? Is it a dark blue? I really want to order some from ebeauty but they only have blueberry in stock and I'm afraid it won't suit me.
nmmclach

Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:36 pm      Reply with quote
onmyboat wrote:
nmmclach, how do you find the blueberry colour for 100 Pure mascara? Is it a dark blue? I really want to order some from ebeauty but they only have blueberry in stock and I'm afraid it won't suit me.

Hi ommyboat,

I actually love the blueberry colour, but it might be because I'm blonde and fair skinned. You'd have to look really closely at my lashes to know they tinted blue, as opposed to black, so it's definitely more of a navy than a "blue blue". I prefer the blue to the black; it's not quite so dark on me. Alternatively, you may find raindancecosmetics.ca has more stock of 100 pure... may want to give them a shot if you really want black. They're based in Canada, though I'm not sure you are.

Hope this helps!
onmyboat
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:08 pm      Reply with quote
I'm very fair, green/grey eyes, dark blonde hair so it would probably suit me but I've never worn a navy mascara.

I am based in Canada (hence why I don't order from the 100 pure website). Thanks for the link. Do you know their shipping costs?
nmmclach

Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:16 pm      Reply with quote
onmyboat wrote:
I'm very fair, green/grey eyes, dark blonde hair so it would probably suit me but I've never worn a navy mascara.

I am based in Canada (hence why I don't order from the 100 pure website). Thanks for the link. Do you know their shipping costs?

It would likely suit you, or the Blackberry would too, I suspect (also love that one). It's a dark purple, which I think looks phenomenal with green eyes. Again, you'd have to look hard to tell it isn't black, it just isn't stark black, which is a look I like. Shipping for Raindance is only $5, regardless of where you are in Canada.
onmyboat
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:10 am      Reply with quote
I just took a better look at the site. It's pretty great. Lots of good brands. I'll be putting in an order shortly.

nmmclach, what are your other Holy Grail green products? I see you've mentioned you've got everything sorted except deo/mascara.

In other news, sigh, I ditched Terra Naturals and bought Adidas Cotton Tech in Fitness Fresh. I didn't go in expecting it to be green, and it doesn't contain aluminum and apparently works (which it does). However, one of the ingredients is triclosan, and I'd rather steer clear of that. I'll be using it until I find something better. Right I'm eyeing Penny Lane Organics Natural Deodorants Unscented.

"SCENT FREE - made especially for those that want the dryness but with no fragrance. Made with coconut oil, baking soda and organic corn starch."

I came across a DIY version of deodorant that's just baking soda and cornstarch, so maybe I'll make a small batch and see if it works for me and then order this for the sake of convenient application.
nmmclach

Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:52 am      Reply with quote
Hi Again onmyboat,

Here's my rundown, and actually, I think I have my deo and mascara situation sorted... hooray!

Not sure if you want skincare routine, but it's short, so I'll include it:

Just Pure Chamomile Cleansing Milk (I buy at Pure and Simple in Toronto)

Kahina Serum (order from Oresta in Ottawa)

Tammy Fender Intensive Repair Balm (buy it at 889 Yonge, a yoga studio I practice at in Toronto, and the only place I know of in Canada that carries it... trust me, I've looked EVERYWHERE!)

Vive Sana Solar to Polar Ultra SPF 40 (love,love, love this sunscreen! Super green, and water resistant, no white cast, use very little and super effective!)

As for makeup, I wear very little on a daily basis, so I'll include basics, and what I wear when I'm dressing things up a bit:

Coverup by RMS in 11 (one of my favourite lines!)

Luminizer by RMS (used under eyes along with coverup, and on top of cheek bones, bow of lips)

Blush by RMS- Lip2Cheek in Smile (use on cheeks, but can use on lips, I just don't wear lipstick)

Mascara is either 100 Pure in Blackberry (purple) or Real Purity in Navy

Brow fix is just clear mascara by Jane Iredale because I haven't put a lot of thought into finding this, and I came across this conveniently one day

Lipbalms I love are Dr. Hauschka, RMS, Fresh tinted in Rose.

If I'm going out, I'll step things up a notch and add:

A bit of foundation by Vapour Organic Beauty, the "Atmosphere Luminous Foundation 110"

Eyeshadow by Jane Iredale, or Cheeky Cosmetics (just trying these out now, but I like them!)

Eyeliner for waterline by Tarte, Emphaseyes in dark brown

And, if I'm in for a hardcore night of dancing, or at a wedding (potential crying), I'll break out the Tarte "Lights, Camera, Splashes" Mascara in Black, but as I've mentioned before, I don't love black mascara on me, however, this stuff doesn't move!

I don't think I've missed anything... I don't wear lipstick, stick to tinted balm if anything. I tried Ilia lipstick, but whatever they use to colour their lipsticks made my lips really sore and dry. Just an aside incase you were interested. I'm sure it was just me though.

Again, my deo I swear by now is the Real Purity.

Good luck in your search!
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:08 am      Reply with quote
onmyboat wrote:
I've been trying out Terra Naturals Unscented deodorant, and it's a no-go. It feels nice on, no irritation but it does nothing to hide smell. I have nothing going on right now, but I'd never wear this when I have class, etc. Too risky.

ETA: I'm reading Whole Living magazine right now, and they have a feature on "greening" your gym bag. They feature Secret Natural Mineral deodorant, with a blurb that says it neutralizes odours with calcium carbonate. So I googled it. The Secret website didn't have the ingredients list but Amazon did.

Ingredients
Active Ingredients: Aluminum Zirconium Trichlorohydrex Gly (18%)Inactive Ingredients: Cyclopentasiloxane, Stearyl Alcohol, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, PPG-14 Butyl Ether, Cyclodextrin, Petrolatum, Phenyl Trimethicone, Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Calcium Carbonate, Ozokerite, Behenyl Alcohol, Fragrance **Masking Fragrance

It actually contains 2% more of Aluminum Zirconium Trichlorohydrex Gly than the non-"natural" Secret deodorant. Gotta love green-washing.

I just bought the Terra Naturals mint deodorant.
haven't really tried it out much, but I find the stick is hard to apply and a bit "waxy".
maybe I need to let it warm up before using.

I really like the Body shop deodorant, but no idea what the ingredients are.

I like the Jason apricot deodorant, that one smells nice and works ok...and leaves white makes on clothing.
onmyboat
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:41 pm      Reply with quote
That's a great list. I see you really like RMS Beauty. I've been eyeing it for a few months now. Have you tried anything else from Vapour? How do you find the foundation, and how does it compare to RMS concealer? I need something with light coverage.

Ottawa Shopper - I think I'm going to nix the Terra Naturals deodorant.

This is the ingredients list

Propandiol (from corn), aqua, aloe barbadensis leaf juice*, sodium myristate and/or stearate, saccharomyces ferment*, cocamide, yeast polisaccharide, monolaurin, inulin, alpha-glucan oligosaccharide, lonicera japonica extract, valeriana officinalis root extract*, chamomilla recutita flower extract*, gallium aparine extract*, azadirachta indica leaf extract*, calendula officinalis flower extract*, hydrastis canadensis root extract*, salix alba bark extract*, citrus medica limonum*, melaleuca alternifolia extract, parfum (natural). * Certified organic

It has lots of extracts, which is definitely nice, but I can't seem to find the ingredient that neutralizes/kills the bacteria. I can't wear something that offers no protection against smell. My fault for not researching natural deodorants and what ingredients make them effective before buying the first thing I saw.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:06 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |