Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
has anybody been to a department store lately and talked to
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
TTD
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:20 pm      Reply with quote
one of the assistants at one of the skin care counters?

I went in recently and am just wondering if there is some technique the assistants are taught to take in talking to a customer.

My skin is not perfect at all but when I went in the girl immediately on taking some of my sunscreen off - your skin is good.
I remember being surprised and then remembering that this happened to me the last time I went to a skin counter too a few years ago.
I wonder if they are taught that a positive complementary approach sells more or ?

Has anybody else had this experience or if you have recently worked in this area maybe you can tell what they train you to do? Smile
mismis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:22 pm      Reply with quote
Good customer service is a lost art - that is why I go to Sephora. I am greeted at the door, have sales assistance and they will even research stuff for you. I like Mac, but will not buy it because of (lack of) customer service.

But it does go both ways - One day I was shopping at the cosmetics counter and a very nice woman assisted me. When we had concluded I said " Thank you B________" and her eyes welled up. She said that although everyone had a name tag I was the only customer who had EVER called her by her name. She felt like a function, not a human being in most of her interactions with the public.

Makes ya think . . .
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:14 pm      Reply with quote
I've noticed most places these days have much better customer service and I attribute it to online reviews and people not wanting to lose their jobs.
Ava with wings
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:25 pm      Reply with quote
I worked in specialty retail (bridal) when I was younger and I absolutely hated when customers would call me by my name. I think it's all a personal perspective. At the same time I really dislike attentive sales staff. Those who act too helpful and don't pick up on my not sO subtle clues to walk away find me taking my money elsewhere.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:51 pm      Reply with quote
TTD wrote:
one of the assistants at one of the skin care counters?

I went in recently and am just wondering if there is some technique the assistants are taught to take in talking to a customer.

My skin is not perfect at all but when I went in the girl immediately on taking some of my sunscreen off - your skin is good.
I remember being surprised and then remembering that this happened to me the last time I went to a skin counter too a few years ago.
I wonder if they are taught that a positive complementary approach sells more or ?

Has anybody else had this experience or if you have recently worked in this area maybe you can tell what they train you to do? Smile

So, if according to her your skin is good,... what on earth did she try to sell???? Rolling Eyes
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:58 pm      Reply with quote
She probably meant generally good.

I don't quite understand. I don't assume that every comment a salesperson makes is directly intended to help sell me product?
I appreciated when they've told me my skin is good, since they obviously see a lot of skin up close & naked. Most of us are all too familiar, i.e. fixated, on our flaws, so to hear a positive remark (from a pro!) helps me put things in perspective.
Maybe indirectly that aids in me wanting to buy from someone who's being honest? I already know what I want help with.

And I can't remember anyone ever doing it, but I may be disappointed to hear someone point out my flaws... which I may not have recognized as flaws before that. I may hate them for it since I don't need a new complex! Everyone I've seen has been very pro though - careful and gentle with their remarks.

p.s. Mac salespeople really grossed me out & put me off recently. The mu artist's makeup was greasy looking, caked, her pores were HUGE (def hours overdue for a touchup, but she works at a makeup counter?), and her eye makeup was flaking off and almost crusty looking. Not all too reassuring or a ringing endorsement of their longwear products. The drag queen who helped me the time before couldn't understand that I didn't want drag makeup, even though I explicitly said over and over that I prefer natural.
They weren't knowledgeable about their products or colours, and just browsed and asked others (& other customers!), the same way I could have.
I used to trust them, but Mac has def changed in recent years. Plus now there are comparable drugstore products. It wasn't a store but a dedicated dept store counter, so maybe there's a difference.

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
Katarinaduchess

Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:05 pm      Reply with quote
I think the sales lady would be biased since they are probably on commission and want to sell you the best product THEY think you need.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:10 am      Reply with quote
SoftSkin wrote:
I've noticed most places these days have much better customer service and I attribute it to online reviews and people not wanting to lose their jobs.

I think that's part of it. Brick and mortar shops have to make themselves more enticing than the ease of shopping online. I can usually buy online for much less, there's no tax, often free shipping, I don't have to hassle with parking, gas costs to get there, or crowds.

I do buy locally at Saks and Nordstrom because the SAs I've encountered are genuinely helpful, friendly and don't try to "sell" me. I can get my face done with products I want to try, I can get samples made up to take home for further testing, and they often have in-store events where I can experience a complimentary facial or makeover from one of the national reps. If they didn't have these things, I'd be shopping online.

I recently had an SA from one line borrow a product from another line because she felt the shade was a better match for my skintone. That kind of honesty makes me have confidence in her other recommendations.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:47 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |