Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Gentle exfoliant for the eye area
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:40 pm      Reply with quote
I've notice a slight bit of flaking in my tear trough area, and across, just under the outside corners of my eyes - damn magnifying mirror! I'm also wondering whether constant use of an eye oil may have led to a little buildup collecting under the skin by my tear troughs, and because I read elsewhere on eds that eye oil is probably not even necessary... well, I'm going to give it a break for a bit and try and clean up. My eyes do like a bit of protection from dry air, but I may have been overdoing it so might just try a simple barrier like vaseline next time. I use vit c and retin-a a little there too.

Those aren't areas I normally think of exfoliating! I'm pretty sure I already use my microfibre there, but tend to be veeeerry gentle since I know what a microfibre burn feels like. Sad

What would you suggest? A papaya enzyme or yogurt mask? Does yogurt actually provide any exfoliation? I've really irritated my outer corners on occasion (wiping tears, makeup etc), so I'm nervous about that particularly sensitive area. And I'm crossed between thinking I shouldn't need exfoliation there, I need something mild, but too mild and it may not even work!

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:21 am      Reply with quote
You might do better using a combination humectant and emollient on the eye area, instead of just an occlusive? If you chose a product containing urea this would hydrate and gently encourage the dead skin to exfoliate naturally. You could use yoghurt, that contains lactic acid - like urea it is naturally found in the skin. Better too mild than too strong, you can always scale up the intensity.

Otherwise what about a muslin cloth? I find these gentle enough for my eye area even with my sensitive skin and history of atopic eczema. I cannot compare to microfibre, unfortunately, but I cannot imagine a muslin burn being possible! Laughing I have had that sore eye corner many times, tho not often since I have been using moisturisers than help repair the skin's barrier (urea, lanolin etc). Best thing for healing without stinging was a super basic diaper barrier cream, the last time I used zinc and castor oil IIRC.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:42 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for your reply! I'm not sure whether I need moisturizing. The remnants of my ocm oil (even though wiped off) seem enough for me. I'd also like to make a regular habit of applying pure castor oil to eyes at night, which my lashes and skin loved.
I would like bit of "protection" from dry air & makeup, so will try vaseline/zinc/castor. May still need moisture/real healing for those outer corners, but will see how this goes.

I'd prefer to use one time applications for exfoliating, since my feeling is this slight buildup may not necessarily be an ongoing problem, especially since I'm going to forego my richer eye oils. I only used them because I gave in to the hype!

And I actually don't know what muslin is! But will definitely look into it.

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:27 pm      Reply with quote
Just a followup in case anyone was interested. Smile

I used my microfibre gently, but in a targetted way (kind of against gravity!), and it worked like a dream. It cleaned up everything perfectly so further exfoliation isn't even necessary. It looks much "cleaner" now, as if any oil residue collected under the skin has already been cleared.

And I used castor oil on my eyes and woke up to absolutely beautifully conditioned skin! I'd stopped applying because there was already a little castor oil in my ocm oil which I use regularly to remove eye makeup, and since I was using an eye oil. Since my lashes seemed in decent shape I thought the castor was still as effective on the skin in lesser amounts. Apparently not. Will not stop using castor oil full strength on my eyes again.
I still find it fascinating how its drying on the rest of the face, but not at all on the eyes!

And I found out that muslin is cheese cloth! So just cotton. which won't have the same weave, blends, extra fine fibres & unique cleaning properties as microfibre, being able to attract oils & trap dirt. It may have worked well enough for my eyes but it turns out I have enough control of my microfibre (i.e. a light enough hand) not to cause any damage. Its just such an amazing invention.

Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:37 pm      Reply with quote
So pleased you have made progress!

I LOVE microfibre for many things - sportswear undies and outerwear, gym towels and household cloths. Very Happy I have no doubt the face-specific cloths are wonderful and generally try to recommend either/ or with the muslin.

I purchased organic muslin because they are cheap so I can have a whole stack and have no irritant optical brighteners; I love how easily they rinse out and how fast they dry, light to pack and small to store, how gentle they are. Thicker cloths tend to need more 'soap' to wash and are more difficult to rinse, I can't risk residues with my silly skin. I don't think muslin are 'just' anything! Not better than microfibre of course, each have their own strengths. Wink

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:56 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you! And thanks again for the advice. Very helpful, as usual.

I like the sound of organic muslin with no dyes etc too. And yeah, no doubt they'd rinse, dry & travel easier.

Microfibre are finicky. They're a pain to clean because you can't throw them in the wash with cotton or other fabrics or it wrecks them. And because SO MUCH dirt and oil clings to them, they're a bitch to handwash. You're not even supposed to throw them in the dryer, since it wrecks the delicate fibres.
And get this - darker dyes even damage the fibres! They are cheap in dollar stores, kitchen supply & automotive supply stores etc though, so there are lots of different kinds to try & choose from, and besides the style/weave there's no difference between those & more expensive ones meant specifically skincare.

I'll keep my eye out for muslin cloths to try out though, since even though I find the performance of microfibre necessary, I much prefer to be surrounded by unbleached, organic, natural fibres.

System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:49 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |