Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Shellac nails - first go
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
PosyLee
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:49 am      Reply with quote
I'm just back from the salon and had my nails and toenails done with the Shellac nail gel. They look great so far and I'm hoping that they really will last the 14 days as advertised.

Anyone else have any experience with this stuff?

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:21 pm      Reply with quote
Has no one had a Shellac treatment? Question

It's looking good so far - it was great to leave the salon with dry nails and no chance of smudging.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:32 pm      Reply with quote
PosyLee wrote:
Has no one had a Shellac treatment? Question

It's looking good so far - it was great to leave the salon with dry nails and no chance of smudging.

I have had gel nails done which you can get in either natural or colors just not sure they are the same? Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:40 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:

I have had gel nails done which you can get in either natural or colors just not sure they are the same? Smile

Similar. Shellac is a hybrid between a gel and a nail polish. The natural nail is not distressed before application so it is preserved. When it's time for a new application, the Shellac polish is just soaked off.

So goes on and comes off like a polish but looks and lasts like a gel nail.

Read about it here.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:45 am      Reply with quote
I have never heard of this before - it looks amazing. Can you buy the product to DIY at home?

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:49 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
Can you buy the product to DIY at home?

A woman after my own heart. Very Happy

Well, it is supposed to be a salon-only treatment but all the components, including the UV curing lamp, are now available to buy from e-bay. I estimate that to get set-up would cost just under $200 US (that's for one colour of polish).

I'm going to wait and see how this stuff wears. If it really does last two weeks, I think that I'd rather just go to a salon to have my fingernails done. I can't see me doing my own pedicure - I hate doing my own toes.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:51 am      Reply with quote
I have never heard of this but it sound great!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:55 am      Reply with quote
PosyLee,

LOL, I feel the same about doing my toenails! Smile

This really sounds so nice, I used to get acrylics done every 2 weeks but I have to keep really short nails to use the iPhone so I gave them up! Sad

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:09 am      Reply with quote
I did read about shellac nails, sounds so interesting. I am concerned about a UV lamp to dry my fingernails, i always wondered if skin on the hands get a bit damaged.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:19 am      Reply with quote
skincareaddicted wrote:
I did read about shellac nails, sounds so interesting. I am concerned about a UV lamp to dry my fingernails, i always wondered if skin on the hands get a bit damaged.

that did cross my mind too but the fingers are only under the light for a few minutes.

My shellac-ed nails still looking good. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:30 am      Reply with quote
skincareaddicted wrote:

I used to get pink and white acrylics (French Manicure) and they use a clear paint on gel that dries under UV lights. I had this done every 2 weeks for 8 years and never had any damage from the light. It really does dry in a very short amount of time. Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:39 am      Reply with quote
I'm intrigued! My concern would be the price, because my fingernails grow so quickly that I'd be doing it every week. Though, if I invested in an at-home set-up initially, then the ongoing expense wouldn't be so bad.

This would be great for pedicures, too, not having to worry about smudging. My toes are always polished in the summer, but in the winter when socks and shoes/boots are on, the polish just doesn't happen. I could never bear the thought of even a few hours of no socks on my feet while waiting for polish to dry thoroughly.

I also wonder if I'd have the same staining issues on my nails that I do with regular polish. Nothing seems to help rid me of it completely; the closest I've come is using two coats of OPI Nail Envy as a base. But there's still a little staining...

Shellac sounds very interesting!

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:44 am      Reply with quote
zephyr wrote:

I also wonder if I'd have the same staining issues on my nails that I do with regular polish. Nothing seems to help rid me of it completely; the closest I've come is using two coats of OPI Nail Envy as a base. But there's still a little staining...

Well mine will be a good test as I have French style on my fingers and the darkest shade (think Rouge Noir) on my toes. Before I get them re-done I will get them soaked off at the salon. As far as I can tell, this involves soaking them in acetone for a few minutes before sliding the coatings off in one go. I'm hoping that there will be no staining.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:08 am      Reply with quote
This sounds very interesting. I used to have my nails done (arcrylic) but fed up of the upkeep. Its been about 2 years since I had them done and my fingernails are still suffering the effects (hopeing the MSM will help with that)

but if this last two weeks that would be good, do you mind me asking how much it cost? Off to have a read about this, had never heard of it before.
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:26 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
I have never heard of this before - it looks amazing. Can you buy the product to DIY at home?

I have heard of it.
But if you buy high quality nail polish it lasts long too Smile

I use the Mavala brand..which is hard to find (i order it from the company directly in europe).
And that nail polish will last me 2 weeks with no touch up!
it is the only brand so far that does that for me.

But you need to use their top coat with it,and the base coat helps too I think.

The salon treatment sounds neat,but I really have having manicures and pedicures done.
-even if they were free I'd rather not go.
I usually give any manicure coupons I get to my sister anytime.

do that have many different colors for this gel, or is it just a few choices?
I like to change my nail polish shades often enough.
But sometimes I do like to keep the same shade for 2 weeks at a time!

For nail staining, this polish friend who has been an esthertician and nail tech for over 40 years she tells people to soak your nails in denture tablets a few times a month.
I used to do that and it does work.
I will try and remember to do that today as I always forget to do that.

it is the same whitening tablets people use for dentures.
she even uses these at the salon where she works!
this lady,she also refuses to put artificial nails on anyone because they are not good for the nails.
PosyLee
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:05 am      Reply with quote
Bermie wrote:

but if this last two weeks that would be good, do you mind me asking how much it cost? Off to have a read about this, had never heard of it before.

Well it's new in town and it cost AUS $50 for my fingers and the same for my toes. I imagine that the price will only go down as more places offer it. The fingernails are still holding up well though I do have one little chip in one white tip. It was my own fault as I was sanding down some wood with a file! Hardly regular use. I am beginning to see bare nail regrowth at the cuticle though. The therapist said that they can't be in-filled like gels but they can be repaired with a coat of regular polish.

The toes look as good as they did they day they were done and I think they could last beyond two weeks.

Right now there are 12 colours available. The manufacturer claims that the colours can be layered to create new colour combos but the therapist said she tried it and it just looked streaky. New colours are planned in the near future.

Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:30 am      Reply with quote
Im going to have mine done tomorrow... so wish me luck and I hope I have the same good fortune that you did with it! Very Happy
zephyr
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:38 am      Reply with quote
The denture tablet soaking didn't work for me Crying or Very sad - tried it a while back. Wish it would have!

You ladies trying Shellac, let us know how it works for you and if you notice staining on your nails once Shellac is removed!

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:31 pm      Reply with quote
I got all excited when I first read about Shellac, but researching it revealed more than a few reviewers who said it wrecked their nails. It didn't have that effect on everyone, but I don't want to chance it. To everyone who is trying it, please keep us informed. It sounds like heaven to have beautiful nails for 2 weeks without fussing with them.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:53 pm      Reply with quote
Sounds interesting. I have never heard of this and I have regularly been getting my nails done for 15 years.

I always get the permanent pink & white gel's. They look great and last me about 3 weeks or so. Is this Shellac stuff as strong of a coating as the gel? I rarely ever break a nail with gel's on. I would definitely be interested in this for pedicures but for my fingernails I need super durable or they would just break.

Please let me know how this stuff holds up, the removal sure sounds a lot more pleasant then getting a new set of gels. I hate when it's time for a new set - removal of the old set is very uncomfortable.

Thanks for the info

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:40 pm      Reply with quote
Well here's an update:

It has been 10 days since I had my fingers and toes done.

Toenails
These were doing great up until day 7 when a small piece of one gel (I'm calling this stuff gel for simplicity) peeled. It was just in one corner and wasn't noticeable so still all OK.
Day 8, I wore open-toed shoes all day. At the end of the day I noticed one of the gels had just disappeared! It seems to have slid off, in one piece, without me noticing. (There's no staining left behind.)
Day 9. Another gel on the opposite foot has gone now. My nails not looking so glam at all now. Sad

Fingernails
These were done in the French manicure style and looked great except for a tiny chip in the gel that I caused through lack of care. I have been really impressed that the gel has retained its shine and transparency - regular nail polish can go opaque and cloudy after a few days but the Shellac has been great. I am noticing quite a large cuticle gap now where the new nail is coming in. This is tolerable because of the natural effect on my nails but I imagine that if I were wearing a colour, this could look quite unkempt. The most impressive thing for me though is how much this product has reinforced my nails. 10 days without a tear, rip or breakage - that is unheard of for me so is a big win.

However, last night - day 9, one of the white-tipped areas peeled off (revealing natural nail underneath). I will try to hide this for the time being by painting over with some white polish but I am a little disappointed that I didn't get to 14 days.

So my conclusions so far:
I don't know that it's worthwhile applying this to my toenails. Pedicures tend to last well on me and I don't see that the Shellac has added anything extra, except expense. I have read that Shellac slipping off can be due to inadequate preparation of the nail but I don't know if it's even worth another try.

I love this product on my fingernails although think that the 14 day duration is probably the maximum possible. I'm certainly going to have another go at the salon. However, because of the regrowth and durability issues, the DIY at home option is looking more attractive.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:13 am      Reply with quote
Thought I'd update you. I've just passed the 14 day mark with my second lot of shellac nails and the manicure is still looking immaculate. There is a gap at the cuticle though and I'm bored with the colour so I'm getting them redone tomorrow. At my last appointment the therapist fixed, for free, the toenails that had lost their coating. My toes are back to looking great - and still look great after another two weeks.

The soak off wasn't as easy-peasy as it sounds in the promotional material. I soaked my nails in acetone for a while and then the therapist pushed the coating off with an orange stick. It didn't just "slip off" at all. I could see that natural nails COULD get damaged in this process.

Overall, I'm happy with it and will keep going - until the novelty wears off probably. Laughing

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:54 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you, PosyLee and Bermie, for your updates! It sounds awfully tempting... Though the thought of pushing the gel off with an orange stick isn't so appealing. Having it slip off after a soak in acetone sounded much nicer!

PosyLee and Bermie, have you in the past ever had issues with regular nail polishes staining your nails, even with good basecoats? If so, have you noticed staining with the Shellac gel?

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:55 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you, PosyLee and Bermie, for your updates! It sounds awfully tempting... Though the thought of pushing the gel off with an orange stick isn't so appealing. Having it slip off after a soak in acetone sounded much nicer!

PosyLee and Bermie, have you in the past ever had issues with regular nail polishes staining your nails, even with good basecoats? If so, have you noticed staining with the Shellac gel?

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:16 pm      Reply with quote
I've heard about this new thing.

I'm put off because Shellac is from the lac bug. Also, you have to go in salon for removal OR soak acetone remover cotton balls on your nails, with foil covering them for 10-20 min. I don't like to use acetone.

Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:19 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |