Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)
Can doing eye exercises help improve vision?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
sandooch
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:02 am      Reply with quote
I've read that they can and wonder if anyone here as seen an improvement in their vision after doing them for a while. If so, how long before you noticed your vision had improved and which exercise in particular do you think helped?
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:48 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Sandooch many years ago, I came across Bates Method but I never used it long enough to even know if it works. There are people who swear by it, while others will argue that it cannot change the basic shape of your eyeball so will not correct nearsightedness or farsightedness--although that may also depend on the refracting index of the lens and the muscles that control it...so *shrug*

I guess you have nothing to lose trying the suggested exercises. I am naturally shy so feel "safe" behind my glasses and so don't even care to were contacts, so I'm not really pressed to get rid of my glasses, which might explain my lackadaisical attitude to the therapy. Neutral
YB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:06 am      Reply with quote
Hi Sandooch,

I just found on Amazon a book you may want to read.

It's a remake of another book i've read many years ago in russian. The author is a bit extravagant, but it will be fun reading and it should contain exact description of author's method to improve vision. Many years ago he developed a set of exercises to improve vision and claim many successful stories.

He is practicing for several decades, mainly working with elder people, but he had several experimental groups of kids as well.

http://www.amazon.com/experience-fool-epiphany-about-glasses/dp/9549589986/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1327423855&sr=1-1

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:36 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you both for those links. I'm off to check them out!
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:44 pm      Reply with quote
YB wrote:
Hi Sandooch,

I just found on Amazon a book you may want to read.

It's a remake of another book i've read many years ago in russian. The author is a bit extravagant, but it will be fun reading and it should contain exact description of author's method to improve vision. Many years ago he developed a set of exercises to improve vision and claim many successful stories.

He is practicing for several decades, mainly working with elder people, but he had several experimental groups of kids as well.

http://www.amazon.com/experience-fool-epiphany-about-glasses/dp/9549589986/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1327423855&sr=1-1

YB That book looks so funny that it's already on my list.

OT: I am such a book fanatic that my hubby swears I need an intervention the way I buy books as if they are running out. And while I do like audio books for the convenience, I don't think anything can replace the feeling of turning pages...and the smell of old books. *sigh* The only reason I'd want a Kindle or Nook is so as to have the excuse to have more and more books without anyone telling me anything about taking up space. Neutral Yeah, I probably need help...but I'm not asking for it just yet. Very Happy
Lacy53
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:13 pm      Reply with quote
You might want to read this link as well:

http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/eyequack.html

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:08 am      Reply with quote
Thank you, Lacy.
10Sylvia5
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:48 pm      Reply with quote
hey nonie I am with you on the books front, I have boxes of books having been read and yet to be read
Laughing
I also love the idea of turning the pages and the smell too, my husband thinks I am a "book hoarder"

But then I do have about 3 or 4 on the go at the same time, so maybe he has a point
Exclamation

Sorry for diverting the thread, but It was funny reading Nonie's post

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:03 am      Reply with quote
Thread hijack alert! (Sorry guys)

Hey 10Sylvia5 *waves* It's a pleasure to meet a kindred spirit. At least when I end up in rehab, I can count on having a friend there: you! Smile

Yes indeed! When the people in white coats come to get me, I won't be going down alone. I'll be giving them your name too coz I refuse to do time alone! Laughing It's all in love: we've gotta stick together! Razz

/Hijack over. Returning to the normal programming...
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:10 pm      Reply with quote
Okay, I don't know if Bates was right about his *theories*--and I have read some scientific articles saying that Bates was wrong--but even if his theories and experiments were wrong, some of his techniques do work. Centralization and movement are the most important ones, in my experience.

I saw no changes in vision for 3 years, and now have seen some improvement. When I use the Bates techniques and it's during the daytime, I can use glasses with a prescription of -2.5 and see about 20/40. Otherwise, I require -3.5 glasses to see that well. But it took me about several years to get there (with sporadically trying it).

It's really not about the exercises. You're not going to see any improvement with just doing exercises. Rather, the exercises are a way to relearn the proper technique of using one's eyes, which leads to better sight. So it's really about using the techniques ALL the time. And the key thing is that you need to re-learn (1) how not to stare (movement) and (2) how to centralize/focus--those are the key ideas behind the Bates method.

Essentially, the eye is like a camera--it focuses on objects at very close difference and very far differences. People with sight problems are usually able to focus either at objects at near distances (near-sighted) or objects at far distances (far-sighted). What this means is that they no longer have the same "dynamic range" (scientific term); it's sort of like a runner who can only do sprints but has lost the ability to run a 5 K. They have a shorter range of abilities. But the key question in my mind is why can an eye adjust to see some things but not others? It's not that the eye is defective in all faculties, but rather it can't *adjust* to see at all distances. The key idea is that to see properly, the eye must adjust its focal plane over a wide range. Bates had an explanation for how the eye could do this through the eye muscles, and did experiments that he thought proved this. Though Bates's experiments might have been wrong, as many scientists/doctors claim, amazingly, scientists and no one else has a better explanation for how the eye adjusts its focal plane in order to focus. So I find it absolutely mind-boggling that we do laser surgery and cut into the eye ball, yet we have no idea about the physiology of what allows the eye to adjust its focal plane!!

Also, if you want to try improving your vision, I suggest getting a prescription that under-corrects your eyesight, and it's very difficult (I'd wager almost impossible) to improve if you are using your current strong prescription. It would be like learning to walk again while using crutches all the time. I'd recommend getting one normal pair (that corrects you to between 20/20 and 20/40) and one undercorrected pair that corrects you to around (20/70 - 20/100) to use for closer distances. I use three different prescription glasses: one for close reading, one for daytime driving, and one for nighttime driving. I found several years ago that that helps protects my eyes from getting worse, because if you use a distance prescription for reading a book, that will only make your eyesight decline fast as your eyes will try to compensate for the "overcorrection" by making you even more nearsighted.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:35 am      Reply with quote
That is very interesting, cm. So since I only have trouble with farsightedness while reading (had laser surgery years ago to correct my nearsightedness) and my prescription is 1.75, should I get a pair that is 1.50 or lower?

Also, I'm confused as to how long to wear them: Always, half the time or occasionaly? Do I keep reducing the prescription when I feel my eyes sight is getting stronger?
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:01 am      Reply with quote
Hey Sandooch,

What I am doing is very experimental. It has worked for me, but as Lacy points out, it's considered quackery.

I can only speak from my experience using the techniques. If your prescription is only 1.75, I think you could go down to 1.25 or 1.0 for close to moderate distances (e.g., in front of a computer, cleaning up in your kitchen), and still see most of what you need to see just fine. My basic formula for whether to wear the lower prescription is if I am just reading, working in front of the computer (which is most of my day), or just around the house, I use the lower prescription. For driving, seminars, anything that requires distance vision, or if I just feel I want to see a bit more for a while, I put on my stronger prescription. And for me personally, one of the benefits of this is that I have distance vision whenever I need it, but can read books and my computer without headaches or unhappy eyes after hours of reading. So it works great for me!

And yes, the goal is to reduce your prescription over time. But do not self-diagnose here, but rather have your eye doctor do it and determine whether your prescription is indeed improving. And I now always ask my optometrist to give me two prescriptions: one for distance vision (perfect distance vision) and one for computer use (from trial and error, I found that for me personally asking for 1 diopter less is perfect for me, so that's what I ask for). So that's how I work it. And finally, I buy my glasses from Zenni optical, which makes very cheap glasses, and makes doing all this more affordable.

That said, it makes me nervous to recommend something specific for someone else. One, none of this has been validated. Two, I only have my own experience to go off of. And three, I found out what worked for me through trial and error, which involved wasting money and time on some bad purchases over the years--it definitely took a while to figure this out. I wouldn't want someone else to go through the same unless they were willing to face these challenges and be persistent and patient for the long haul, and with the understanding that it may not work at all.

HTH Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:18 am      Reply with quote
It seems to work better for people with weak nearsightedness and as a preventive measure. My mother always told me look out the window every so often when I was reading. Just focusing near and far is good for the eyes. Staring at TV or the computer screen is bad for the eyes.
sandooch
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:03 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you both.

When I had my Lasik surgery done years ago, I was in Heaven that I didn't have to wear contacts/glasses for my nearsightedness all the time like I had been for the past 25 years or so. Then, not even 3 years later, I started to have problems reading small print. Lo and behold, my optometrist informed me that I was now farsighted. Bummer! Only a few years with perfect vision. Getting older stinks sometimes. Laughing
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:43 pm      Reply with quote
Hi There,

Thought I would chime in here.

I have a girlfriend who went in for lasik. She is one of those "coke bottle" girls with her glasses.

It turned out the lasik didn't take. Her doc. (considered one of the best in the Bay Area), indicated that it must be that her muscles are weak. Basically, you can have one of two different issues. (excuse my lack of terminology, not my area). However, her doc. had her come in for what I would consider PT for her eyes. Teaching her various exercises. And low and behold MONTHS later, her vision improved drastically. Basically, she was a combo problem.

My point is that for SOME eye exercises will absolutely make a difference. For others it's NOT their problem, and will do nothing. I basically have NO idea how you would know which category you fit into short of trying it. If it works, then you know.

That said, we have a person in our family with a cranial disorder. His eyeballs are exposed in a fashion that is a bit "bart simpson" in appearance. I've WATCHED him work his eye muscles to literally zoom the eyeball forward. He has complete control over this. He thought this was a funny thing to do to kids that made fun of his appearance (which was rather alarming). He's has quite the personality!!!! Interestingly, his mother is nearly blind, he however has pretty good vision. Not perfect. But good.

I for one am afraid of lasik. When the doctors won't have themselves done... forget about it. I can't see my own face in a bathroom mirror without contacts. Don't regularly wear glasses as I can't stand to see only forward with zero peripheral vision. Not a safe driving situation for example!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:45 pm      Reply with quote
sandooch wrote:
Thank you both.

When I had my Lasik surgery done years ago, I was in Heaven that I didn't have to wear contacts/glasses for my nearsightedness all the time like I had been for the past 25 years or so. Then, not even 3 years later, I started to have problems reading small print. Lo and behold, my optometrist informed me that I was now farsighted. Bummer! Only a few years with perfect vision. Getting older stinks sometimes. Laughing

OMG... I HEAR you! I went in for my eye exam to get a new RX for contacts and my doctor just went on and on... "Says here you're almost 40! You're gonna need reading glasses soon" Seriously? Contacts AND reading glasses?

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:50 am      Reply with quote
Yeah, I just found out from my optometrist a while ago that EVERYONE has to get reading glasses at some point. That blew my mind, I had no idea. Neither of my parents ever got them, and they read a ton! But I know they couldn't read the fine print.

And not that I do a lot of eye exercises, but I'm a big believer in them. Not just for vision, but for the look & health of my eyes in general now.

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
Marie-Andree
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:21 pm      Reply with quote
I'm 60 and I can read a dime. I'm also a addict to reading. But I'm nearsighted. In any case, not everyone needs reading glasses past 40.
My father, who always had excellent vision, told me that when he got bi-focals for reading, his eyesight worsened immediately.
sandooch
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:25 pm      Reply with quote
Well, silly me. I thought getting Lasik surgery would give me perfect vision for the rest of my life: Nearsighted and farsighted. Guess I should have asked the doctor about that before I had it done.

Oh well, it was nice having perfect vision while it lasted. Wink
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:16 am      Reply with quote
Wow, thanks MA. I'm not surprised, but quite shocked that my optometrist would give me false information. Don't like the sound of that AT all!

My right & left contacts were different strengths, but the little dots wore off the right ones so I didn't know which were which and just used them interchangeably. When I went in for an appt a few years later (I didn't have access for a while), they said my eyes had become the same. I think this is evidence that your eyes adjust.

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
Katarinaduchess

Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:03 pm      Reply with quote
sandooch wrote:
Thank you both.

Really? I had my Lasik eye surgery done more than 5 years ago and to this day I still have perfect vision. My eyesight wasn't that bad to start with before though, I think it was 150?

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:34 pm      Reply with quote
Katarinaduchess wrote:
sandooch wrote:
Thank you both.

Really? I had my Lasik eye surgery done more than 5 years ago and to this day I still have perfect vision. My eyesight wasn't that bad to start with before though, I think it was 150?

Oh, my nearsightedness is still perfect. It's just that now, 5 years later, I am farsighted. The doctor told me that the surgery that corrected my nearsightedness wouldn't have any affect, as I got older, in helping me not become farsighted. Crying or Very sad
MikeCoza2012xxx

Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:48 am      Reply with quote
If you want to improve your eyesight naturally, you should know first the eye exercises that can strengthen the muscle of your eyes & reduces eyestrain, eye exercises such as Call The Ball, Follow Your Thumb, Palming, Bead And String, Look Away. Healthy diet is very important too, eat foods like Carrot, Eggs, Milk, Apricots, Berries, Black Currants, Cold-water Fish, Collard Green, Grapefruits, Grapes, Lemons, Plums, Spinach, Fish Oil, Raw Garlic(fresh).

bit(dot)ly/HowGetRidOfYourGlasses
♣ ♣

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:33 am      Reply with quote
Thanks so much, Mike!

Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:09 am      Reply with quote
Hi there! Im just a newbie here and I just want to add some thing up about eye exercise. Ive known 5 steps and here it is, Blinking, Palming, figure of eight, near and far focusing and lastly zooming. I hope this has stimulated your interest in natural vision exercises and it leads you to research this subject more. I am by no means an expert on this subject so please do your own research. I can only tell you what works for me. Thanks
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:15 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |