Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Success in pore size reduction?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Penta
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:19 pm      Reply with quote
Hello ladies,

I was wondering if any of you had significant results reducing your pore size?
I'm asking because, as I am recovering from a serious acne bout that lasted about a year, I am now left with enlarged pores on my nose only. I never had this issue and have small pores everywhere else on my face. It's driving me crazy.
Have any of you ever had enlarged pores and then got them to go back to their normal size again? I guess I'm just scared I am stuck with this forever Sad
ATester
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:30 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Penta,
I only recently bought the Dermawand, and must say one of the first effects I've found is the "smallporing". I'm 44 and in the last two, three years the pores around my nose and cheeks had enlarged, never heed keeping them clean, they were large. Since I've started using the Dermawand, just recently, can't say about any other effects yet, but pores are definitely smaller. And a pimple or two that has appeared have dried out immediately.
Surely, there must be a cheaper way, like exfoliating the area to make sure the pores are clean, using lemon juice to close the pores, or tomatoes, etc, or some tonic...
HIH, A.
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:32 pm      Reply with quote
What is your skincare routine at present, Penta?

It would be worth reading some of the Oil Cleansing Method thread over on the DIY board, many reports there of smaller and clearer pores. Speaking for myself my nose pores virtually disappeared simply by making my entire routine more hydrating - switching from a foaming to a lotion cleanser, muslin cloth OR lactic acid to exfoliate, hyaluronic acid serum or aloe vera gel, moisturiser containing lanolin, loads of fruit, veg and fish body oils.

This approach is logical - after all pores are really just holes in skin which can shrink away or plump up to cover them. Replenishing the humectants and occlusives in the stratus corneum will help it remain fully hydrated. Urea should do the same as the HA or AV and is found in healthy skin, CeraVe contains a balance of lipids even closer to our natural ones than lanolin does.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:07 am      Reply with quote
I found my red LED reduces pore size, particularly on my nose. What ever you use that helps wont make a permanent reduction.
Penta
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:11 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks everyone! I do own a Palacia (similar to the Dermawand) and have used it to treat rashes that I get when my skin gets too dry. It was too strong to use on my face, though Sad

Firefox7275 wrote:
What is your skincare routine at present, Penta?

It would be worth reading some of the Oil Cleansing Method thread over on the DIY board, many reports there of smaller and clearer pores. Speaking for myself my nose pores virtually disappeared simply by making my entire routine more hydrating - switching from a foaming to a lotion cleanser, muslin cloth OR lactic acid to exfoliate, hyaluronic acid serum or aloe vera gel, moisturiser containing lanolin, loads of fruit, veg and fish body oils.

I'm currently just using a very mild cleanser followed with jojoba oil in the AM and PM and a light manual exfoliation twice a week. My skin is super sensitive and breaks out from most products so I narrowed it down to that. During my horrible acne bout I read the entire OCM thread and really liked what I read. My best friend then tried it and broke out like nobody's business. Seeing that my acne is finally gone (thank God) and that I have a routine down I am sort of comfortable with, I am scared to try anything like OCM, just because I read so much about the uglies/purging/initial breakout.

What you wrote about hydration, though, really rings true. My skin is craaaazy dry and I was planning to substitute my jojoba oil with hemp oil this week. I remember somebody writing about hemp oil helping with their blackheads, so we'll see how that goes.

Thanks for posting your results, ladies! I find it very encouraging to read success stories! Mainly because I was scared that once your pores go bigger they never go back to normal.

GirlieGirl, I have always had really small pores because my skin is so dry. This has been a recent development which I'm hoping is not permanent.
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:44 pm      Reply with quote
I would try to identify why your skin is so dry and sensitive. Are you consistently meeting or exceeding all your government's recommendations for healthy eating and lifestyle?

Have you considered every last chemical that comes into contact with your face - residues from hair products when showering or hair loose around your face, chlorine or fluoride in your tap water, laundry products, anything on your hands transferring to your face, toothpaste and mouthwash? You can start reacting to a food, chemical or product at any time, that is actually more likely than a novel chemical! Also, as you have found, once your skin barrier is damages your skin start reacting to the most innocuous things.

Whilst you absolutely don't have to try any new products or techniques, consider patch testing rather than slapping it all over your face. Also if you do ever try OCM be sure to use an emulsifier, this makes it SO much easier to remove every scrap of oil from your face AND keep your cloths scrupulously clean. Not all purges are clogs coming to the surface, some are understandable hygiene issues, others are the wrong oil for the skin or the wrong blend.

Skin is thinner/ dryer in some areas than others so your whole face may not react the same. Most of my dermatitis or eczema outbreaks have been around my mouth, in the naso-labial lines and close to my eyes. But shampoo bubbles running down my arm turned out to be the trigger for my elbow patch! Guess what I have been using every other time I have reacted to a skincare product? Sulphate surfactants because they are found in shampoo, shower gel, face wash, toothpaste, hand soap ....

Hope something in my ramblings make sense to you! Confused

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
Penta
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:56 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Firefox,

yes it makes sense Laughing My skin has always been very dry, ever since I was a little girl, really.

As for the chemicals in contact with my face, I have identified the water in our house as the main culprit. We installed a water filter, which still didn't help so now, I kid you not, I wash my face with bottled water that I heat up in the microwave. That and going back on birth control really helped clearing up my acne.
I eat very healthily, drink about 3 liters of water a day and work out pretty regularly. During my year of acne breakouts I considered every thing you just listed Laughing

Good advice about the emulsifier, though!!! I remember that most of the ladies experiencing breakouts later reported that making sure to get every last bit of oil off your face was key.

Rolling Eyes skin is so annoying, I wish we all had furry cat faces instead Laughing

Firefox7275 wrote:
I would try to identify why your skin is so dry and sensitive. Are you consistently meeting or exceeding all your government's recommendations for healthy eating and lifestyle?

Have you considered every last chemical that comes into contact with your face - residues from hair products when showering or hair loose around your face, chlorine or fluoride in your tap water, laundry products, anything on your hands transferring to your face, toothpaste and mouthwash? You can start reacting to a food, chemical or product at any time, that is actually more likely than a novel chemical! Also, as you have found, once your skin barrier is damages your skin start reacting to the most innocuous things.

Whilst you absolutely don't have to try any new products or techniques, consider patch testing rather than slapping it all over your face. Also if you do ever try OCM be sure to use an emulsifier, this makes it SO much easier to remove every scrap of oil from your face AND keep your cloths scrupulously clean. Not all purges are clogs coming to the surface, some are understandable hygiene issues, others are the wrong oil for the skin or the wrong blend.

Skin is thinner/ dryer in some areas than others so your whole face may not react the same. Most of my dermatitis or eczema outbreaks have been around my mouth, in the naso-labial lines and close to my eyes. But shampoo bubbles running down my arm turned out to be the trigger for my elbow patch! Guess what I have been using every other time I have reacted to a skincare product? Sulphate surfactants because they are found in shampoo, shower gel, face wash, toothpaste, hand soap ....

Hope something in my ramblings make sense to you! Confused
Glamcat
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:58 am      Reply with quote
omg! Penta, I lol'd at your furry cat faces comment! Laughing

I've often said similar myself - like: cats dont need to worry about their skin, their hair, their weight! lol Very Happy
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:20 am      Reply with quote
I think Retin A has been proven to reduce pore sizes from memory but it does take a lot of time and obviously money and effort and its not without consequences either.
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:29 am      Reply with quote
Penta wrote:
Hi Firefox,

yes it makes sense Laughing My skin has always been very dry, ever since I was a little girl, really.

As for the chemicals in contact with my face, I have identified the water in our house as the main culprit. We installed a water filter, which still didn't help so now, I kid you not, I wash my face with bottled water that I heat up in the microwave. That and going back on birth control really helped clearing up my acne.
I eat very healthily, drink about 3 liters of water a day and work out pretty regularly. During my year of acne breakouts I considered every thing you just listed Laughing

Good advice about the emulsifier, though!!! I remember that most of the ladies experiencing breakouts later reported that making sure to get every last bit of oil off your face was key.

Rolling Eyes skin is so annoying, I wish we all had furry cat faces instead Laughing

Great minds think alike or fools seldom differ?! It's great you are taking care of your wellbeing, I hope you feel the benefits in your energy levels and general health, if not so much your skin.

Drinking more fluids didn't make a massive difference to my skin (reducing alcohol did but that is me ...) the main one was increasing intake of long chain omega-3s. I wonder if you are taking in enough of these - considering you exercise regularly so your needs will increase - or if you are taking in enough healthy fats and carbs generally (help body hold water)? My skin looks best on 3g of combined EPA and DHA per day, and that is without physical activity which can double requirements. Seed oils are not a good source unfortunately. You may well already have this covered this but it's worth a shot.

If we had furry cat faces we'd need our cheeks tickled at regular intervals, which would look mighty strange in a formal situation! Laughing

Penta
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:12 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, girls!
Cat faces and cheek tickles for the win!
Glamcat
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:21 pm      Reply with quote
TheresaMary wrote:
I think Retin A has been proven to reduce pore sizes from memory but it does take a lot of time and obviously money and effort and its not without consequences either.

I've definitely had pore reduction from Retin-a -- love the stuff. It's still the best acne clearing and anti-aging product out there but moderation is the key to avoid excessive dryness, peeling & flaking. Almost everyone should be using it - with religious use of sunscreen of course Wink
Penta
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:49 pm      Reply with quote
I gave Retin A a try a few years back. I started with a very low dose, extremely slowly (twice a week, if I remember correctly) and it left my skin looking burnt. It was bad and scared me off Retin A for a minute. Sad
So many of my girlfriends swear by it, though.
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:47 pm      Reply with quote
^ oh, how awful! I'm not surprised though.

Its been doing amazing things for me, but I try to warn people with more delicate/untouched skin to be careful, or hold off using it til they're a bit older and their skin has become a bit "hardier" and able to take it.

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
Penta
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:31 pm      Reply with quote
Yeah, doesn't help that my skin is super sensitive. It really did look like a burn mark or something, it took about 4 months to fade, too Sad
But it's good to know that, if all fails, I can always try that.
Glamcat
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:13 am      Reply with quote
TheresaMary wrote:

When I've had a break from using it, I always need to start back on it very very slowly. I get the lowest dose in the cream formula and mix 50/50 with a basic moisturizer - and I can only do this about once every 4th night. And even then it may be a bit too much -- I definitely have ultra sensitive skin Wink

Then as my skin adjusts I can increase the frequency to every 3rd night - then eventually every 2nd - but that's as frequent as I do it. Then I can start to reduce the amount of moisturizer I mix it with. This method works great for me and I dont get any of the horrible things going on that many people experience. I truly think that people who hate Retin-a have often done the too much too soon thing Wink
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:08 am      Reply with quote
Penta wrote:
Yeah, doesn't help that my skin is super sensitive. It really did look like a burn mark or something, it took about 4 months to fade, too Sad
But it's good to know that, if all fails, I can always try that.

You know what, I'll bet a lot of people get a similar reaction and just power through it. I used to be way too hard on my skin, and still have to remind myself that discomfort of any kind should at least be a reminder to pull back.
In that way you guys are probably lucky you have sensitive skin, so you're not tempted to go too far.
I feel that way about my health - I've never been the type of person who could drink a lot or experiment with drugs. I feel very lucky that my body is still in decent shape, in part because of it!

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
Glamcat
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:27 pm      Reply with quote
LoriA wrote:
I feel that way about my health - I've never been the type of person who could drink a lot or experiment with drugs. I feel very lucky that my body is still in decent shape, in part because of it!

I'm the same LoriA - exactly the same, I cant drink alcohol - only have 1-2 maybe once a year and cant even take most medications -- I think I'm doing pretty good for my age compared to most people I know Wink and it's probably been this reason - a blessing in disguise! lol Very Happy
tinali0202
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:27 am      Reply with quote
maybe u can have a try on rodial snack serum...it says 3d pumping .should be effect on the pores size .
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am      Reply with quote
Lol, I knew a girl in Texas who couldn't drink at all but every year she'd have exactly 1 green beer on her st. patrick's day b'day. So cute.
I can drink a bit more than that, but not much.

Anyway, about pores, I wasn't eating enough green veggies for a while, and just started again, and I'm suddenly able to get away with just a little concealer & powder - which is UNHEARD of for me! So I wanted to suggest that in the same vein as drinkng enough water, consuming fruit & veggies has been discussed on this forum before as being a far more effective way to not just ingest liquids, but have them be absorbed properly by your body, instead of just being flushed right through.

Penta
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:19 pm      Reply with quote
Good call on the veggies and fruits! Which reminds me I have to get back into my work-out routine. Maybe a proper sweaty work out will help bring out all the gunk.
However, it doesn't look like these pores are congested - they just look a bit enlarged but clean. But I know from the people on the OCM thread that, most of the time, a lot of gunk comes out even if the pores look completely clean, which then leads to pore size reduction.

I am exactly the same about alcohol. 1 beer and I'm done Laughing And just as you said, it's a blessing in disguise. I'm 27 and people always think I'm in my teens (my chipmunk cheeks don't hurt either Wink )
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:27 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |