Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

NeoCutis Perle Skin Brightening Cream (30 ml / 1 floz) True Cosmetics Balancing Weightless Moisturizer (50ml / 1.7oz) Skin Biology Protect & Restore Body Lotion (226.8 g / 8 oz)
Why do eye creams tell you not to apply on upper lid?

EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
SundayMornings

Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:19 pm      Reply with quote
Hi there,
Can someone please explain to me why eye cream labels sometimes specify that you're supposed to apply the cream to the area below the eye and not to the upper eyelids? I've noticed that some descriptions tell you to just "apply to lower eye area" but others explicitly note to "NOT apply on upper lids"....does applying it on the upper lids somehow cause them more harm than good?

I'm currently using Shiseido Bio-Performance Super Eye Contour Cream which apparently is okay for both upper and lower eye areas. However, I've also been testing out Skinmedica's TNS Eye Repair for over a month and have applied it on both upper and lower areas without realizing that the fine print warns not to. I don't notice any adverse effects though so now I'm just confused/curious....

Thoughts?
butterflyrainbow
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:47 pm      Reply with quote
I have been wondering the same thing! I once was at a Kiehls store asking about eye creams and the lady said only to put it on the contour and not on the skin below the lid. That is so contradictory to me as the skin between the lid and the contour is exactly what I want to be less puffy and tired looking... Any advanced users out there know why this is?
stardustgirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:57 pm      Reply with quote
butterflyrainbow wrote:
I have been wondering the same thing! I once was at a Kiehls store asking about eye creams and the lady said only to put it on the contour and not on the skin below the lid. That is so contradictory to me as the skin between the lid and the contour is exactly what I want to be less puffy and tired looking... Any advanced users out there know why this is?

I'm not so sure I'm "advanced" but I've read that the reason to apply eye treatments along the contour is that they migrate upwards, so the product actually *does* wind up where you need it.

No idea about the upper eyelid thing. I've wondered that myself.
Glamcat
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:22 pm      Reply with quote
I have always applied eye cream thinly and gently to my eyelid - I'm 41 and my eyelids have not dropped and yet it happened to everyone else in my family by about age 35.

Most of my friends have dropped eyelids too -- one of my sisters even asked if I'd had an eyelid-lift -- I laughed and said no I just always used eye cream - and she said she didnt because the intructions on the product always said not to!

So I think that applying eye cream to eyelids is paramount. I've asked my skin doctor about this and she said it's fine to apply to eyelid just make sure not to apply too close to the lashline so the product does not enter your eye -- she also said that because I've applied it religiously to my eyelid is the reason my eyelids have not dropped when everyone else in my family has experienced it... Wink
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:33 pm      Reply with quote
Probably in case the product gets in the eye or collects in the crease and causes irritation. The companies are just covering their backsides! Some ingredients *might* also be more suited to the undereye area, the ones that claim to increase circulation or thicken the skin to ward off dark circles. I just use a gentle moisturiser over my whole face, never used an eye cream and am often mistaken for younger than my age. Very Happy Most eye products seem to be just very expensive silicone; look at the price per pound/ kilo and compare to the the best cuts of beef or high end seafood.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
Bermie2
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:40 am      Reply with quote
I use CP's on my eyelids, the Skin Signals Cream, all around my eyes, sparingly though, and did start slowly!

Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:54 am      Reply with quote
I researched this a long time ago when I was working with a dermatologist when I was taking beauty classes and there are creams specifically for the delicate undereye area. The upper eye area is more prone to the cream/lotion getting into the eye so it is usually a much thicker product to be applied to the eyelid that won't gravitate into the eye.
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:02 am      Reply with quote
Glamcat, do you mind me asking which eye cream you use? Have you used the same one consistently for a long time?

I imagine you meant the eye hood? I was concerned about this last year and used surgical tape for a short time at night & it seemed to have been effective at "training" them back up! So stopped. Consistent Tanaka massage during ocm (giving the eyes a good rub too), may also have kept the problem at bay.

Firefox, you mean you use moisturizer on your eyes too, right? I never used to, but finally started with sunscreen on them (all over), so have been applying my Devita, lotion or moisturizer, with no issues. This is only because I'm certain the Devita is gentle enough.

When I used to use an eye serum, it was only underneath. Was taught something about allowing lids to breath & not get puffy the way they do when you cry? dunno

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
scpocky
5% products discount

Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:55 pm      Reply with quote
Personal experience (not sure if it's applicable):
Josie Maran sunscreen on upper eyelid + few hours later = migration in eyes + stinging. Embarassed

I think it may be a way for companies to protect themselves against potential skincare induced blindness Razz I personally think carefully applying will be fine.
JillieHJ

Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:13 pm      Reply with quote
I have always understood that eye creams should only be applied to the orbital bone in a circular motion, as the cream migrates to the lids as it is absorbed. However I have always used them sparingly... Until now. Suddenly at 48 I'm having a sudden onset of Droopy Eyelid Syndrome with occasional Crepeyitis (I blame using mineral powder on my eyelids as a base) and I haven't yet found a crepey skin-combatting cream or gel, so if anyone has any tips...I will love you forever!
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:12 pm      Reply with quote
LoriA wrote:

Firefox, you mean you use moisturizer on your eyes too, right? I never used to, but finally started with sunscreen on them (all over), so have been applying my Devita, lotion or moisturizer, with no issues. This is only because I'm certain the Devita is gentle enough.

When I used to use an eye serum, it was only underneath. Was taught something about allowing lids to breath & not get puffy the way they do when you cry? dunno

Yes the whole lot with the eyes closed, even over the lashes sometimes! I have always used gentle products tho, sensitive skin for many many years. I would purchase an eye product IF there was something super gentle and backed by published research. Not sure that exists!

It's good to hear you are using Devita on the eye area: I am thinking of getting the SPF50 from the EDS store. The ingredients look perfect for me and the sunscreens get great reviews.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:30 am      Reply with quote
Wow, I just realized today that I wasn't even applying the Devita to my lids, just all around them. Old habits die hard!

Devita's gorgeous, but spf50? You don't believe the thing about anything above 30 not being necessary?

"potential skincare induced blindness" Laughing

Jilly, try what I wrote about for the droops!

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
MystyPines
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:33 am      Reply with quote
I have always put my undereye eye creams on my eye lid up to my browbone. Never had any problems. I use SkinCeuticals A.G.E. Eye Complex (eye cream) and before I put this on, I also put my SkinCeuticals CE Ferulic (Vit. C serum) on the eyelid up to browbone as well. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:20 pm      Reply with quote
I've always thought it due to the possibility of stinging - absorption or migration into the eye area. (maybe legal reasons!)

5% products discount

Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:39 am      Reply with quote
I think it is because the skin around the eye is very thin so product get absorbed much more easier than in other areas and can cause irritation. It really depends from one person to another whether this will effect you. I'm currently using the same eye cream as a friend which is rather active and we were both applying above and below the eye - anyway, she has experienced irritation around her eye but mine is completely fine. Maybe I just have thicker eyelids! Lol!

The reason they write it on the label is so you don't sue them if product does get absorbed and irritate your eye. All products say avoid contact with eyes, it's just they may come into contact with your eyes this way too.

Hope this helped!

Fiona Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:35 pm      Reply with quote
I had that same problem previously, where i dabbled the eye cream all over my eye, and i realised my lids became too oily and got my lashes stuck together.
When i accidently applied the Priori eye serum on my eye lids, the sensation wasnt great.
Then the beautician suggested only put on the contours below the eyes..
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:03 am      Reply with quote
I put eye cream around my eyes lids completely. I don't see any problem.....

SundayMornings wrote:
Hi there,
Can someone please explain to me why eye cream labels sometimes specify that you're supposed to apply the cream to the area below the eye and not to the upper eyelids? I've noticed that some descriptions tell you to just "apply to lower eye area" but others explicitly note to "NOT apply on upper lids"....does applying it on the upper lids somehow cause them more harm than good?

I'm currently using Shiseido Bio-Performance Super Eye Contour Cream which apparently is okay for both upper and lower eye areas. However, I've also been testing out Skinmedica's TNS Eye Repair for over a month and have applied it on both upper and lower areas without realizing that the fine print warns not to. I don't notice any adverse effects though so now I'm just confused/curious....

Thoughts?
existential lady
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:30 am      Reply with quote
jade1234. so what eye cream do you use and how thick is the skin on your eyelids? Would like to know.

Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:50 am      Reply with quote
The reason most skincare companies don't suggest you apply their eye cream to the upper eyelid area is because of the possible discomfort you could encounter and any possible(and highly probable) adverse reactions you could have. The upper eyelid is very thin and fragile, just like the lower, the difference is that your upper lid is continuously stretched and exposed. As well as being a very thin layer of protection between your eyes and the world.

Eye creams, when not formulated for 360 degree application can cause the upper eyelid to burn, itch, swell and/or turn red and become unsightly. Since the desired effect when using an eye cream is to improve the appearance of the eye area, these reactions are definitely not what the companies want you to experience.

One more possible effect is an inability to keep one's eyes open. This has happened to me only once and I had severely over-done it on the application of my eye cream and needed to rinse it off within 5 minutes of putting it on; it was very uncomfortable. It can sting your actual eye by absorbing through the lid. This can also result in a much more common and far milder reaction: sensitivity to light.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:39 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

NeoCutis Perle Skin Brightening Cream (30 ml / 1 floz) Carita Supreme Wrinkle Soulution Filler [PRO 3W] (10 ml / 0.33 floz) True Cosmetics Balancing Weightless Moisturizer (50ml / 1.7oz)