Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)
Very disappointed in my Jessner peel
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Beach_bum
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:13 pm      Reply with quote
My esthetician has been asking to do a peel on me for quite a while now. I've been on retin a for about 6 months now and she finally talked me into a Jessner peel, which I had last week.

I don't really know why I agreed to it as the retin a has done wonders on my skin and my pores are great and I've never had any scarring, melasma, etc. She just raved about how "refreshed" my skin would look so I finally decided, "What the heck!" and did it.

She did this on Tuesday and I frosted pretty quickly and it turned red, burned...basically did what I expected it to do(this was my first peel).

Now I know this is a superficial peel and I wasn't expecting anything drastic...but nothing more happened. No peeling, flaking, shiny tightening and drying of the skin that I had read about and had come to expect. Nothing. Nada.

So now I'm out $125 bucks with no results whatsoever. My skin is completely as it was before the peel.

So much for being refreshed. She also wants me to go back for another one in 6 weeks when I finish my first cycle on Obagi....I think I'll pass.

Just venting.... Brick wall
stardustgirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:58 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry you had a disappointing experience. Maybe you'll see a difference in a month or so after your skin has had a chance to completely recover? I've never had Jessner's so I can't offer any input.

I can say that after similar experiences of my own with both glycolic and TCA peels, that I started doing my own at home.

Makeupartistschoice has a lot of info and sells peels. The actual product cost is very low. If you research the issues you want to address and proceed slowly you should get a good result. If you don't have any big issues (and it sounds like you don't) then the occasional lactic acid peel should give you that "refreshed" look. I do those and while I don't get a big peel from them, I do get an overall brightening effect - and I don't have to be $125 poorer for the experience. My last kit was around $33 on sale, and I got at least a half dozen peels from it.
scpocky

Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:04 pm      Reply with quote
Sometimes I get the same feeling with peels. It takes more than once sometimes for results. I did TCA at 12.5% and absolutely nada. And like you I suffered all these unjust side effects (redness etc...) At least lactic acid (which is considered weaker) left me feeling smoother. But I did another 2-3 tcas and my skin had more results. But diy peels will definitely make you feel better and makeupartist is a great option.
Beach_bum
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:42 pm      Reply with quote
I've been eyeing the MUAC peels for a while, I just wasn't sure where to begin. I think I will do some lactic acid peels and see if I notice any results.

Thanks for the input!
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:45 pm      Reply with quote
You often need a series of peels to see a difference. But honestly if you skin is doing well I wouldn't bother with peels at this time.
onmyboat
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:47 pm      Reply with quote
I've never had a Jessner peel but I also think you could benefit from lactic acid. You have to do maybe 4-6 peels to "really" see the difference. There's no down time, and it requires little effort once a week. you can also use the peels to prep your skin for a TCA. I think the point of prep (someone correct me if I'm wrong) is that you take care of the very superficial damage, so the TCA can go deeper.

I've never bought anything from MUAC, and after checking out their site, I don't know that I ever will. First off, their lactic acid peel's pH is 2.9, which means it's weaker than one with a lower pH. Second, they appear to sell their pH-neutralizing solution with every peel? I can't justify buying that. And it's $33 for 1 oz lactic 40% and pH solution. Are you kidding me? Plus shipping is $17 for UPS (which means the duties and brokerage fees could amount to another $30) and USPS is $25 (2 weeks time). This is for Canada.

I suggest you look at either eBay or another website. Make sure the eBay site has lots of reviews, states the composition of the peel, states the pH, etc. I bought my lactic and glycolic peels from eBay, worked out cheaper than MUAC plus I got it in 2 days. Paid $13 each for 1 oz of lactic and glycolic 30%, shipping was about $4.
skinsmything
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:56 pm      Reply with quote
As an esthetician myself, and a former medical esthy working for a derm for many years, I have to say the fact she felt you needed a Jessner's after 6 months of being on RA and your skin was looking great at that was was kinda of rediculous. I'm not shocked you didn't get any peeling. It does depend on the way she prepped it prior to the peel, how aggressively she applied it and the number of layers she did. Jessner's is a more superficial peel, but can product peeling in some people. Your skin was already very exfoliated which is why you didn't get any.
skinsmything
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:57 pm      Reply with quote
I clearly can't type tonight...sorry for the typos in my last post Laughing
skinsmything
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:02 pm      Reply with quote
Also wanted to say...the Obagi Blue Peel (which is a TCA plus their Obagi's blue agent added in) can be done either prior to starting Obagi or also at 6 weeks (Obagi being the prep for the peel). It's not typically done after a full course of Obagi treatment, except in a few cases, and usually that is someone with very sundamaged, pigmented, thick skin.
Beach_bum
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:23 am      Reply with quote
Thanks everyone!

I really think I'm going to forget the peels for a while. I just began the Obagi program so we'll see where that takes me. She did mention she wanted to do another peel at 6 weeks so I'll reevaluate then, maybe even talk to my derm about the Obagi blue peel. My chest has been neglected and with all the sun worshipping I did as a teenager I probably ought to get a peel on my chest instead of my face. I am using the Obagi on my face, neck and chest.

Skinsmything - you are right about my skin already being very exfoliated from the retin a use - I have been shedding like a snake for the past 6 months. I expected my skin would get used to the retin a and the peeling would subside, but it never really did.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:03 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |