Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Dry Body Skin-- exfoliating and moisturizing not working
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
jenp7
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:45 pm      Reply with quote
Hello everyone. I have been living at high elevation (6,800ft) in the US southwest for 9 months now, and I noticed something odd going on with my skin starting in October (5 months in).

First I noticed the texture of the skin on my legs (below the knee) changing...it seemed thinner, drier, alligator skin-like? I exfoliated with scrubs and used heavy, high quality creams and oils religiously to no avail. Now the dry skin issue has moved up my body all the way to my shoulders (more on back than stomach), and it doesn't matter if I dry brush, use salt scrubs, use coconut oil or heavy creams-- it won't get better.

The weird, thin texture on my shins and calves is particularly troubling me since it looks much older than it should at my age. I drink a lot of water and tea...not sure what to do at this point short of moving!

Anyone have any ideas?

Almost 40! with sensitive/responsive skin, using facial exercises very lightly. Derminator or prof micropen just a few times a year. AQ eye serum (great for lash growth too) on occasion. Otherwise natural skin care products.
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:24 pm      Reply with quote
What kind of fats are you getting into your diet?

Any noticeable hormone changes?

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:05 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, Claudia- I am not on a low fat diet, but now that you mention it, maybe I do not get enough omegas? I eat a lot of nuts (especially almonds)and vegetables and occasionally fruit. I also eat meat usually once a day and frequently eat eggs...

As far as hormones...not sure how to tell. Maybe less estrogen in that things are drier in general all over... my cycles are regular at 28 days. I did get pregnant about 6 weeks ago but loss the pregnancy very early.

edit: I should add that I eat at least 2-3 avocados a week on average, so you would think there was a lot of fat and omegas in those.

Almost 40! with sensitive/responsive skin, using facial exercises very lightly. Derminator or prof micropen just a few times a year. AQ eye serum (great for lash growth too) on occasion. Otherwise natural skin care products.
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:28 pm      Reply with quote
jenp7 wrote:
Hi, Claudia- I am not on a low fat diet, but now that you mention it, maybe I do not get enough omegas? I eat a lot of nuts (especially almonds)and vegetables and occasionally fruit. I also eat meat usually once a day and frequently eat eggs...

As far as hormones...not sure how to tell. Maybe less estrogen in that things are drier in general all over... my cycles are regular at 28 days. I did get pregnant about 6 weeks ago but loss the pregnancy very early.

edit: I should add that I eat at least 2-3 avocados a week on average, so you would think there was a lot of fat and omegas in those.

I'm sorry to hear about the PG Loss. I know how hard that is.

I would track your diet for a while. Maybe use an online site to see what you're eating FOR SURE. Your environment MAY be putting higher needs on you???

Also, I might talk to your OB about your hormones. I'm certainly not in the position to DX... but early PG loss, can sometimes be attributed to no progesterone/not enough. Among a bunch of other unknown reasons. Worth knowing if this is impacting you in more ways than one.

Take care,

C

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:55 pm      Reply with quote
Have you looked at (any of) Firefox's posts about soaps and shampoos and considered the ingredients in the lotions etc you're applying? I never thought myself all too sensitive but cutting some of them out have made a ton of difference to my skin.
My condolences as well.. so common & painful but so rarely talked about.

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
jenp7
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:40 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Claudia and Lori Smile I am particular about what I put on my skin and actually only use "raw" organic stuff on face and body so no weird irritants there (most likely).

I bought some krill oil capsules tonight to see if a month on that helps. I know it has been exceptionally dry here this winter, so don't know what else I can do with my diet to assist in hydration.

Thx for the notes on the PG-- yeah, it is too bad how the Docs deal with that-- until you hit 3 they don't really seem to care. That was my second loss in year and half. I figured with a 28 day cycle (14 days on both sides of O) I was balanced hormonally. Maybe I can look into something herbal...

ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:40 pm      Reply with quote
jenp7 wrote:

Thx for the notes on the PG-- yeah, it is too bad how the Docs deal with that-- until you hit 3 they don't really seem to care. That was my second loss in year and half. I figured with a 28 day cycle (14 days on both sides of O) I was balanced hormonally. Maybe I can look into something herbal...

Without going into my fertility drama... let me just tell you.. a "regular" cycle, as it turns out doesn't mean that all systems are working properly... If you're actually TTC, I STRONGLY urge you to remind your dr's of your age, and that IF something is wrong, waiting is a terrible idea. (at the same time, there may truly NOT be anything wrong...) You may PM me if you like...

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:55 am      Reply with quote
Sorry to read of your recent loss. Sad Loads of possibilities to explore skin-wise ...

Healthy fats in avocado yes, (= olive oil) essential fatty acids no. Do you eat oily fish or take fish body oil/ marine algae extract supplements containing 2-3g per day of EPA & DHA? Nuts and seeds are good sources of omega-6s, some of which are pro-inflammatory. Research shows the ratio of omega-3 to omega-6 in the diet is important. Are your eggs omega-enriched? Are you getting plenty of low glycaemic index carbohydrates? Carbs helps us remain hydrated, 3g of water is stored alongside every 1g of glycogen (our carb fuel).

The humectants and occlusives in the stratus corneum are long chain saturated fatty acids (esp. palmitic & stearic acids), cholesterol, ceramides, urea, lactic acid, amino acids, glycosaminoglycans (esp. hyaluronic acid). Urea and lactic acid have both hydrating AND keratolytic (exfoliant) properties. There are numerous known irritants and drying ingredients in nature, and the very act of dry brushing or scrubbing can trigger inflammation and break down the skin barrier. Which lipids/ waxes/ fatty acids are in your heavy cream? Coconut oil is rich in lauric acid BTW, a short chain saturated fatty acid.

HTH!

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:00 am      Reply with quote
LoriA wrote:
Have you looked at (any of) Firefox's posts about soaps and shampoos and considered the ingredients in the lotions etc you're applying? I never thought myself all too sensitive but cutting some of them out have made a ton of difference to my skin.

I am so pleased LoriA! Very Happy I know I can be a *tad* evangelical, but it's lovely to know others are learning from skincare faux pas.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
jenp7
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:55 am      Reply with quote
Hi Firefox- I had no idea how complex all this nutrition, skin lipid barrier, hydration interplay was!

I do not take any fish oil nor do I eat fish (hard to find good quality), but I did just buy some krill oil capsules yesteday-- would that count? I could get some fish and/or fish oil..

I do not eat a lot of complex carbs because I don't eat a ton of bread. If I do, it tends to be a spurge on white, homemade bread 1x a week or gluten free cinnamon raisin bread. I sometimes eat a sprouted wheat (not too often) and probably eat more spelt tortillas than anything.

I do eat a lot of veggies and fruits. The eggs are from vegetarian hens, but only occasionally do I get the ones with Omegas.

Writing about my diet is beginning to make me think there might be some holes...

Also, does anyone know about something I read once-- where it doesn't matter how much water you drink as much as how your body processes it? Like, you could drink all the water you want in a day, but your body just flushes it out instead of using it properly?

jenp7
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:17 am      Reply with quote
I forgot to add the ingredients for the heavy cream moisturizer I have been using. Here they are:

shea oil, hemp oil, organic whole-leaf aloe vera, bulgarian rose water, mowrah butter, jojoba oil, beeswax, sunflower oil, msm, borax, ionic gold, vitamin E and CoQ10.

I was looking at my skin a little more, and although I have the typical "rough, dry" skin all over my body now, that skin on my lower legs (where I noticed hydration problems first) is "rough" but also the texture, thickness and internal hydration of the skin is off. Just so weird. I have a "theory" that since my lower leg is the farthest extremity, it was the first to show dehydration and the one with the most problems, but this is not based on anything other than I literally watched the "dryness" move from there, up my thighs and on to my back and finally to my shoulders over the last month or two.

Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:12 pm      Reply with quote
jenp7 wrote:
Hi Firefox- I had no idea how complex all this nutrition, skin lipid barrier, hydration interplay was!

I do not take any fish oil nor do I eat fish (hard to find good quality), but I did just buy some krill oil capsules yesteday-- would that count? I could get some fish and/or fish oil..

I do not eat a lot of complex carbs because I don't eat a ton of bread. If I do, it tends to be a spurge on white, homemade bread 1x a week or gluten free cinnamon raisin bread. I sometimes eat a sprouted wheat (not too often) and probably eat more spelt tortillas than anything.

I do eat a lot of veggies and fruits. The eggs are from vegetarian hens, but only occasionally do I get the ones with Omegas.

Writing about my diet is beginning to make me think there might be some holes...

Also, does anyone know about something I read once-- where it doesn't matter how much water you drink as much as how your body processes it? Like, you could drink all the water you want in a day, but your body just flushes it out instead of using it properly?

I know what you mean, the more you learn about the human body the more you appreciate how little you know! Laughing

Krill is good, just look at the DHA and EPA content. Most people have holes in their diet - often the ones that are extremely 'healthy' and extremely unhealthy are the worst!Omegas are good for your future bub's brain development too. Wink IMO canned oily fish (sardines/ pilchards/ mackerel/ salmon) are healthier than many meats - easy to digest, plenty of protein plus if you crush and eat the the bones you get a dose of calcium. It is important to eat a broad bvariet

There are plenty of healthy non-wheat carbs such as beans and lentils, sweet potatoes and many other root veggies, milk (other dairy), jumbo oats, pot barley, brown basmati rice. These are also sources of minerals and fibre.

Lower legs are commonly the driest as they have the fewest sebaceous and sweat glands IIRC. There looks to be a lot of unsaturated fatty acids in your cream, which won't repair the skin barrier. However I do find aloe vera helps oils absorb - maybe adjust your diet and use a gentler form of exfoliation first? Keep the cream and reassess in a few weeks?

cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:21 am      Reply with quote
Aside from all the great advice given to you above, another powerful thing you can do is to use humidifiers. Do you know what the humidity is in your home? You can buy either a room or whole house humidifier and at least use it when you are home. If you can increase the humidity into the thirties (e.g., 30-40%), that should help a lot with your dry skin. Best wishes Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:23 am      Reply with quote
In The Water Secret, the author (Howard Murad, MD) says that you need to "eat" your water in order to get water into your cells. Drink green smoothies - mostly vegetables, some fruit. There's a great thread on this board with recipes and results of drinking smoothies.

Also, I agree with using a humidifier. It makes a huge difference. I now live in a cold, dry climate after being in a wet, warm one - causing drastic changes in my skin.

Taking high-quality krill oil is a step in the right direction. Try ingesting organic coconut oil (start small - a teaspoon, work up to 1 tablespoon daily) and see if that helps.

Even if you are using natural soaps, etc. - use less. You may be upsetting the natural pH of your skin (which, I believe, is slightly acid).

I agree with the poster who mentioned progesterone regarding your miscarriage. Have you had your thyroid checked recently? Thyroid hormones are vital in maintaining a pregnancy. This, too, is overlooked by doctors.

Best of luck to you. Take care, Bess
LauraLizzie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:18 am      Reply with quote
We have a whole house furnace humidifier and that has really saved my skin. Maybe look into that?

5% products discount

Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:39 am      Reply with quote
Extremely dry skin is also a symptom of hypothyroidism. It took me 8 years to get pregnant due to my hormones being out of whack. Quick blood test to rule that out.
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:35 am      Reply with quote
cat2fat wrote:
Extremely dry skin is also a symptom of hypothyroidism. It took me 8 years to get pregnant due to my hormones being out of whack. Quick blood test to rule that out.

Good point.

jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:01 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Smile
BAsically, drink at least 8 glasses of water for hydration. Also get proper food intake (good fats, no junk).... use special scrubs from this website, good ones.... Make sure that after bath, while your body is still kinda wet, use good type of lotion right away.... evening time, do the same-- moisturize!

jenp7 wrote:
Hello everyone. I have been living at high elevation (6,800ft) in the US southwest for 9 months now, and I noticed something odd going on with my skin starting in October (5 months in).

First I noticed the texture of the skin on my legs (below the knee) changing...it seemed thinner, drier, alligator skin-like? I exfoliated with scrubs and used heavy, high quality creams and oils religiously to no avail. Now the dry skin issue has moved up my body all the way to my shoulders (more on back than stomach), and it doesn't matter if I dry brush, use salt scrubs, use coconut oil or heavy creams-- it won't get better.

The weird, thin texture on my shins and calves is particularly troubling me since it looks much older than it should at my age. I drink a lot of water and tea...not sure what to do at this point short of moving!

Anyone have any ideas?
LondonJamie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:50 am      Reply with quote
Chia seeds. Seriously.
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:59 pm      Reply with quote
OP

On other discussion forums and review sites, I read that Glytone might be beneficial for such a problem.
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:28 pm      Reply with quote
Can I suggest something? After taking a warm bath, towel dry (not too dry) and put some olive oil to improve your skin. Although you are using scrubs on your body, I think, putting olive oil on your skin after a bath will help.
Also, if you ever go to the sauna, put some olive oil on your skin too. This will keep the moisture in too.

jenp7 wrote:

Anyone have any ideas?
jenp7
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:10 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you everyone who posted! I have been taking Krill oil for several months now, and actually just switched to fish oil. I think this is helping some. I did purchase a humidifier, and that seems to make a difference, too. I still have the dry skin, but a little less.

As far as hormones, thyroid go, I had about a page and half of blood work done April and all came back completely normal.

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions!

twinka
5% products discount

Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:07 am      Reply with quote
Try to drink more clean water! And use coconut oil Smile Also Kiehl's cream is very good!
jenp7
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:14 am      Reply with quote
Ok, this is still not getting any better. I compared my skin to my mid 50s mother's skin, and the texture issues are similar! What is going on? I am waaay too young for this.

6 weeks ago, I went in for a full body scrub and shea butter treatment at a spa, and it did nothing to my skin texture (I was surprised).

Then, I stopped putting body lotion on altogether a month ago to let my skin barrier repair (just in case), and I have seen only a worsening of my skin. It is soo dry now. And I have spent this last month in the midwest (which is in a drought, but at least not the desert)-- still no change.

I have tried all sorts of oils, jojoba, coconut, shea butter, cocoa butter, etc, etc.

I am confused. Anyone else experience this? Nothing is working Sad

Breezybreezy

Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:22 pm      Reply with quote
I've been lurking here for a while and just wanted to say I've learned so much from this board--skincare tips for my face as well as my whole body! I began dry brushing my skin all over about six months ago, and it has made a noticeable difference in my skin texture all over. I don't think there is a quick fix for whatever it is you have going on. But if you adopt some of the excellent pieces of advice (change your diet, moisturize while your skin is still wet, and most importantly, see a doctor and get a blood test), your skin will eventually go back to normal. It sounds like you have compromised your epidermis barrier in some way. Can a dermatologist perhaps give you an Rx for a barrier-restoring cream, like EpiCeram? It's supposed to work just for this purpose.

Dry brushing, which helps with lymph drainage, and the right cream, might help tons.

Good luck!
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:14 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |