Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Major Sun damage Help!!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Moon
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:17 am      Reply with quote
Ok so went to see a dermatologist yesterday to have a Visia Skin Analysis. I went because I was on roaccutane four years ago and the dermatologist who prescribed it to me failed to tell me that I needed to use sunscreen. So basically I was going around with a red face until my chiropractor pointed out that this was sun burn!!!!

Sure enough the dermatologist yesterday confirmed to me what I had feared - I have major sun damage. It is not visible to the naked eye yet because I am only 24 but am sure when I get older it will look really bad.

What I want to know is what can be done about it? What are the most successful treatments for sun damage?

The dermatologist was suggesting IPL laser rejuvenation which I think I will go for. Has anyone had any experience of this? Is there anything else I could use which would help?

Thanks

(A burnt) Moon
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:36 am      Reply with quote
Hi Moon

Sundamage is something that many people of youth do nothing about until its too late – and so good on you for finding out now that this is an issue you have currently and being able to take steps to reduce the long term effects of it. First and foremost I would say nourish the skin from the inside to help the skin repair and heal. Vit C, MSM and Aloe Vera are incredible ingredients that will help the skin from the inside out. Secondly with topicals, by far one of the best topicals for sundamage is Vit C – and EDS is full of recipes for making your own serums (which are pretty cheap and really effective). Vit C takes time to work though – so do some research into it, and of course make it a point to have sun protection on you wherever you go.

Re treatments, the IPL laser rejuvenation seems to be a hit and miss for people depending on the extent of damage they have already, their ages and basic health but I think there are other things like those above that will help you for sure in this quest!

Good luck!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:30 am      Reply with quote
I hope the original dermatologist is going to pay for the corrective treatment! I am shocked that they did not at least supply you with the manufacturer's patient information leaflet for a dug with the side effect and risk profile of Roaccutane. Shock I am a strong believer in balancing aggressive therapies with conservative ones. So first is a high factor zinc oxide sunscreen, if you haven't already! Zinc gives the most broad spectrum protection, doesn't break down in the presence of UV light and is non-irritant. Do consider what you cleanse and exfoliate with: these can either contribute to damaging irritation/ inflammation or can play a positive role in repairing sun damage.

Secondly I agree with Sean to improve the health of your skin from the inside out - give it the building blocks needed to form healthy new skin cells, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory nutrients to prevent further damage. Do you consistently meet or exceed all your government's recommendations for healthy eating and lifestyle? Particularly consider nine portions a day of brightly coloured fruit and veg, plenty of oily fish, protein little and often, limit sugar or white/ refined carbs. A supplement routine should be tailored to you taking into consideration your diet, activity levels, health issues, prescribed medication, age and so on. For safety, some herbal substances should be cycled on and off rather than taken continuously - please rely on the published research or advice from a registered dietician or qualified pharmacist, not alternative therapy websites.

Topically again as Sean says vitamin C has the most research backing it - MAP (magnesium ascorbyl phosphate) is gentler on skin and more stable, but still as effective as the more common L-AA (ascorbic acid). KinNiaNag is another serum that might suit you, it is effective for both ageing and acne-prone skin. I love aloe vera applied topically: research shows it is beneficial in acne, anti-inflammatory, healing/ collagen inducing, hydrating, may help protect against cancer! AV makes a great base for serums or creams and can boost absorption of certain other actives. Last thought is an FDA approved LED device such as a LightStim; there are of course other such products available but I'm linking to this one so you can look through the published research.
http://www.skincaretalk.com/a/kinnianag-kinetin-b3-nag-antiaging-anti-acne-serum
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2763764/
http://www.lightstim.com/led-therapy-references.html

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
Moon
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:23 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you both for your helpful replies and for the links. The dermatologist I saw yesterday told me that in his opinion there was nothing I could do apart from have the ipl treatment but am feeling very encouraged now and keen to try out all your suggestions.

Before being given the roaccutane I am sure I was given a pamphlet of sorts but I do not remember reading about sun damage. From what I remember the main focus for the original dermatologist was on my not getting pregnant. But apart from that I was not really given a brief of the risks of the drug. Even now I am still not entirely sure of the risks or how it works... I am sure that I regret taking it though. I have had a clear complexion pretty much since I started taking it which is good but had I known then what I know now I am pretty sure I could have gotten rid of the acne through diet and lifestyle changes alone and not be left in the situation I am in now.

Anyway, a few questions:

1) Are there any serums I could buy that you would recommend containg MAP and KinNiaNag or is it best to make my own?

2) Firefox you mention cleansing and exfoliating. What products/ skincare line would you suggest for these things plus toning, moisturising etc.?

2) Can you recommend a sunscreen with Zinc Oxide in? The dermatologist seemed to be very keen on sunscreens made by Heliocare. Am not sure if these are high enough in Zinc Oxide or not though.

3) What about retin a/retinol? Would that be of any help?

Thanks,

Moon
Lacy53
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:49 pm      Reply with quote
Moon wrote:
Ok so went to see a dermatologist yesterday to have a Visia Skin Analysis. I went because I was on roaccutane four years ago and the dermatologist who prescribed it to me failed to tell me that I needed to use sunscreen. So basically I was going around with a red face until my chiropractor pointed out that this was sun burn!!!!

Sure enough the dermatologist yesterday confirmed to me what I had feared - I have major sun damage. It is not visible to the naked eye yet because I am only 24 but am sure when I get older it will look really bad.

What I want to know is what can be done about it? What are the most successful treatments for sun damage?

The dermatologist was suggesting IPL laser rejuvenation which I think I will go for. Has anyone had any experience of this? Is there anything else I could use which would help?

Thanks

(A burnt) Moon

Here's a good article from a Dermatologist about VISIA imaging:

http://www.skintour.com/consumer-focus/skin-imaging-gimmick-or-useful-tool

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:05 pm      Reply with quote
Dr. Perricone recommends astaxanthin for hyper pigmentation and also inflammation. It also adds sun protection.
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:18 pm      Reply with quote
UV sensitivity is more of a side effect than a risk. If you were given an official pamphlet I would expect increased sun sensitivity/ use sunscreen to have been in there, it is a very well known issue. Here in the UK every pharmacy must include a patient information leaflet with every dispensed drug but I don't know how many other countries do the same, they all should for this very reason. Crying or Very sad To put the other side it is the derm's professional responsibility to focus on the major risks associated with pregnancy, there are too many cases every year of serious birth defects and that ruins two lives. Unfortunately the more responsible young people can end up being disadvantaged as you have because of their peers' cavalier attitudes. Sad

1) It is cheapest to make your own serums; you can purchase kits from Skin Essential Actives rather than hunting all the individual ingredients down. If you'd prefer to purchase rather than DIY, you might try Fawnie's products. She is a member here and very active at Skincaretalk, very helpful and lovely lady IMO.
http://myfawnie.webs.com/apps/webstore/
http://stores.skinessentialactives.com/StoreFront.bok

2) Cleanser mostly ends up down the drain so I am a fan of cheap, basic, gentle cleansers which respect skin's natural pH (~5.5) and do not contain known irritants such as sulphate surfactants. I am in the UK so can't recommended US products, sorry. I don't use a toner, I wash my lotion cleanser off with warm water and a muslin cloth leaving me with silky skin! Alternatively many forum users do very light AHA/ BHA peels to exfoliate. Lactic acid is the gentlest, naturally found in skin, hydrates and can work on hyperpigmentation over time. If you have a residual problem with clogged pores you might consider salicylic acid, this won't impact sun damage tho and can be very drying. You can combine or alternate the two, you don't have to stick to one acid. 88% lactic acid (for dilution!!) and salicylic acid powder can be purchased from the same ingredients suppliers as the bits for serums. Some people purchase ready made acid peels from MUAC.

AHAs can alternatively be used daily in moisturisers as part of an anti-ageing routine: glycolic acid is quite common. Again I'm not the best person to recommend specific products as I have sensitive skin that would freak at daily acids! Or just stick with whatever you are using at present if you know they suit your skin, get started with the nutrition, sunscreen and serums then reassess in six months?

3) The most frequently recommended zinc sunscreens are Devita, Burnout and Pratima. It's worth reading the reviews on these here and on Skincaretalk forums as each have different benefits: IIRC Devita can be used in place of moisturiser, Burnout is better for exercising/ sweating, Pratima is very matte. Do be aware that many anti-ageing ingredients increase UV sensitivity, so be sure to wear sunscreen daily all year round and reapply as recommended by the manufacturer. UV can penetrate glass, water and clouds; reflect off sand, concrete or snow. Physical sunscreens are fairly stable - they don't go lose their potency or easily go 'off' - providing you don't leave them festering in a hot car of course! This means it would be wise to own a couple of tubes and carry one in your bag or store in your desk.

4) Are you aware Retin-A and retinol are forms of vitamin A just like Roaccutane? If you want to go that route I would strongly recommend you do plenty of research then see your dermatologist with a list of questions. HTH! Wink

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:53 am      Reply with quote
IPL (which is not laser) is effective for visible hyperpigmentation. As of now you don't have any visible sun damage? I'd just start on an antioxidant serum (a vitamin C or green tea serum) and retin-a then. Or you could do obagi blender/retin-a. And of coarse sunscreen.

That skin analysis machine is a marketing tool IMO. Most of us have sun damage that is not visible.
Moon
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:59 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
Here's a good article from a Dermatologist about VISIA imaging

Yeah I can totally see how the Visia machine is a useful tool for scaring people in to having treatments done. The dermatologist I saw on Thursday assured me that the ipl treatment would help to get rid of some of the damage but not all of it. He said the aim was to bring my skin back to having the average amount of sun damage for my age as at the moment I am apparently "one of the worst cases" he has seen in my age group for a while. My dad pointed out that given the location of the dermatologist clinic (a prestigious part of London) they have to be really good at selling treatments to be able to make ends meet. I am going to ask if I can go back under the Visia once the course of treatments has finished. Saying that even if they said that that was not part of their policy I would probably still go for the treatments as am willing to try anything... so I guess the scare tactics have worked!

Quote:
Dr. Perricone recommends astaxanthin for hyper pigmentation and also inflammation. It also adds sun protection.

Ah interesting, thank you. I actually bought some astaxanthin a while back but have not been able to use it because I am breastfeeding at the moment. Will start taking it once I have finished.

Quote:
UV sensitivity is more of a side effect than a risk. If you were given an official pamphlet I would expect increased sun sensitivity/ use sunscreen to have been in there, it is a very well known issue. Here in the UK every pharmacy must include a patient information leaflet with every dispensed drug but I don't know how many other countries do the same, they all should for this very reason. To put the other side it is the derm's professional responsibility to focus on the major risks associated with pregnancy, there are too many cases every year of serious birth defects and that ruins two lives. Unfortunately the more responsible young people can end up being disadvantaged as you have because of their peers' cavalier attitudes.

I agree it sounds like the side effect would have definitely been on the pamphlet. Maybe I was being naive and relying too much on the dermatologist to let me know the major side effects of the drug. I was just given the impression that the only side effect to be concerned about was birth defects because the dermatologist told me about this and nothing else…

Quote:
I am in the UK so can't recommended US products, sorry.

Sorry I should have said I actually live in London so if there are any products/ skincare brands you want to recommend feel free to do so. I am using Dr Haushka at the moment which my skin tolerates well but am always willing to try new things. Really like the idea of making my own products but I have a baby so it's hard to find the time to do so which is why I was wondering about buying the serums etc. I do feel inspired by the ingredients you have mentioned though so am going to see whether I can find some time while she is sleeping or something.

Quote:
Are you aware Retin-A and retinol are forms of vitamin A just like Roaccutane? If you want to go that route I would strongly recommend you do plenty of research then see your dermatologist with a list of questions. HTH!

Haha. How Ironic - fighting fire with fire. I really don't know much about Retin A and will definitely do lots of research on it but I have read that it has been proven to reverse some sun damage. So am thinking if I am very carful to put sunblock on all the time, to only use pea sized amounts of it and to introduce it gradually in to my skincare regime do you think I could reap it's benefits without doing any more damage to my skin?

Quote:
IPL (which is not laser) is effective for visible hyperpigmentation. As of now you don't have any visible sun damage? I'd just start on an antioxidant serum (a vitamin C or green tea serum) and retin-a then. Or you could do obagi blender/retin-a. And of coarse sunscreen.

No I don't have any visible sun damage and am hoping to keep it that way as much as possible. I once saw a programme where they took a couple of women and put them under a Visia machine and literally everywhere the women had wrinkles/ fine lines the UV photo showed sun damage underneath the skin. That is why I am so keen to get this problem sorted now… before it does show signs of sun damage. I mean I appreciate it may not be possible to get rid of all of it but am hoping to treat a majority of it. But are you saying the ipl can only treat visible damage? Would obagi and retin-a treat the underlying pigmentation do you think?
Glamcat
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:27 am      Reply with quote
Before embarking on IPL do an internet search on IPL and Laser Damage/Disasters. There's many a horror story out there of people who wished they'd found out the potential side effects BEFORE having IPL or Laser rather than AFTER... Shock

Here's one that I'm on: http://iplandlaserdamagesupport.prophpbb.com/
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:46 am      Reply with quote
Moon wrote:

I agree it sounds like the side effect would have definitely been on the pamphlet. Maybe I was being naive and relying too much on the dermatologist to let me know the major side effects of the drug. I was just given the impression that the only side effect to be concerned about was birth defects because the dermatologist told me about this and nothing else…

Quote:
I am in the UK so can't recommended US products, sorry.

Sorry I should have said I actually live in London so if there are any products/ skincare brands you want to recommend feel free to do so. I am using Dr Haushka at the moment which my skin tolerates well but am always willing to try new things. Really like the idea of making my own products but I have a baby so it's hard to find the time to do so which is why I was wondering about buying the serums etc. I do feel inspired by the ingredients you have mentioned though so am going to see whether I can find some time while she is sleeping or something.

Quote:
Are you aware Retin-A and retinol are forms of vitamin A just like Roaccutane? If you want to go that route I would strongly recommend you do plenty of research then see your dermatologist with a list of questions. HTH!

Haha. How Ironic - fighting fire with fire. I really don't know much about Retin A and will definitely do lots of research on it but I have read that it has been proven to reverse some sun damage. So am thinking if I am very carful to put sunblock on all the time, to only use pea sized amounts of it and to introduce it gradually in to my skincare regime do you think I could reap it's benefits without doing any more damage to my skin?

So was this an NHS dermatologist who prescribed you the Roaccutane? If so they have guidelines to follow and there is every chance these are published online or can be requested, so you can check whether protocol was followed. It's way too many years since I worked in a hospital pharmacy to remember any detail, all I can say is that Roaccutane is only prescribed in hospitals and not by GPs for good reason. It has a long long list of scary sounding side effects, I honestly don't even know whether increased UV sensitivity would count as a major one! That is not to dismiss what you are going through whatsoever; I certainly think it is worth Googling to see what you can dig up about protocol. I am pretty sure more than just birth defects should have been covered. Sad

Run a search here before you try Obagi, it really is not for the faint hearted. Not really sure that would be the best option for your anyway, you don't need hydroquinone for hyperpigmentation and it seems to me you and your skin have been through enough? IMO you have plenty of time to work on your sun damage, many people don't start until they see the first wrinkles by which time they are racing against the clock and their collagen turnover has slowed significantly. You are also getting advice on the actives that are proven to work, many people waste years on commercial creams that promise the earth but do absolutely nothing. Wink

Retin-A is certainly considered one of the key players in ongoing fight against sun damage and ageing. Whether it would be advisable to use vitamin A again I don't know - your dermatologist would be the best person to advise. There are likely also people here and on Skincaretalk who have been through Roaccutane then considered R-A and would be able to tell you what their dermatologist said. Do be aware that many people are self-prescribing R-A without any medical input. *Some* of these are very cavalier about recommending to others, so please don't assume they consulted their derm. Not sure who here who used Roaccutane, but Gymrat has on SCT and possibly DragoN, but she will know the answer regardless ... I would trust them both to give sensible advice.

The cleanser I use is cheap as anything but light and gentle with no parabens or similar, it is called Derma V10 Q10 Innovations. Moisturiser I am currently using half and half of Aloe Pura organic aloe vera gel and Weleda baby calendula face cream. Very hydrating, healing/ gentle, non-comedogenic, inexpensive, natural. All these three leave more money in the kitty than Dr Haushka if you need to purchase your serums ready made.
http://www.skincaretalk.com/products/derma-v10-q10-innovations-deep-cleansing-milk
http://www.skincaretalk.com/products/weleda-baby-calendula-face-cream
http://www.skincaretalk.com/products/aloe-pura-aloe-vera-skin-gel
I've linked to my reviews because I know the ingredients, price and where to shop are all in one place! I am guessing with feeding a little one you are keen to stick to 'healthy' ingredients.

Let us know how you get on! Very Happy

wylone
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:18 pm      Reply with quote
use aloe gel
shunammite

Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:35 am      Reply with quote
newbie here... May I ask is it fine to apply whitening products even I'm always exposed to sun. Sunscreen seems not working Sad
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:40 am      Reply with quote
shunammite wrote:
newbie here... May I ask is it fine to apply whitening products even I'm always exposed to sun. Sunscreen seems not working Sad

I wouldn't, you need to find a SS that works for you.

wylone wrote:
use aloe gel

Helpful for a sunburn but not sun damage.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:31 am      Reply with quote
Having been thru the extensive Accutane many years ago and then several refresher courses thru the years with various dermatologists, sun care has always been a big part of the to do's and not to do's.
I love what it did for my skin and do not regret it at all. However, it will make your skin more sensitive to sun and actives.
I have had 6-7 full IPL's (and several partials), and many peels, along with Fraxel and CO2 lasers. The lasers were harsh on my skin and a hgue regret. The IPL's did the most good, especially since I have rosacea. They do freshen up the skin, remove some sun spots and reverse SOME sun damage. However, you do have to have a series of at least 3 IMHO to see progress and do a once a year refresher. I go every 1-2 years now. The trick (having learned the hard way), is to find a technician that knows what they are doing, is not overly agressive and to have decent (not overly high) expectations of what the IPLS can do.
I use Johnson and Johnson Purpose wash to clean each night, (recommended by SO many derms) and it is very gentle, along with my Clarisonic. I follow that by using my LED Baby Quasar once a week as well.
I am currently using the Retin-A again, recommended by my derm and prescribed (but it was cheaper to buy it thru inhousepharmacy since my insurance does not cover it). Not "self-prescribed" but this is my 5th rodeo of having it recommended to me by a derm as a good follow-up to earlier years of sun damage now. I just can't always stick it out thru the first rough ptaches of adjustment. Both my derm, aesthetica doc and the plastic surgeon who did my upper and lower blephs (and I just saw 2 days ago for my yearly follow-up), recommended the Retin-A and advised sunscreen. I use Revision and Ulta, both do not clog pores and sit well on my skin.
But the best thing I can use daily and love on my skin is the Phyto-C Proheal Serum, Hydra Cool Serum and Active Serum once a week (since it is a strong active). I am not using the Active Serum right now while on Retin-A, but the docs agree I can add it back in once if and when my skin adjusts.
All these things though should be researched and have done your DD since you are breast-feeding.
Having been one of the first persons that Accutance was used on in Austin 30 years ago, I am more than well aware of ALL the pitfalls of that one! I did the trials when the dosage wasn't even established as well. Healthy, with a very healthy child 5 years after, but I am fortunate.
I go back into my derm next week so we shall see what he thinks as well. Communication with your practioners is key!

Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:54 pm      Reply with quote
thanks a lot GirlieGirl! Will keep that in mind.

GirlieGirl wrote:
shunammite wrote:

I wouldn't, you need to find a SS that works for you.

wylone wrote:
use aloe gel

Helpful for a sunburn but not sun damage.
Moon
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:46 am      Reply with quote
AnnieR wrote:
Having been thru the extensive Accutane many years ago and then several refresher courses thru the years with various dermatologists, sun care has always been a big part of the to do's and not to do's.
I love what it did for my skin and do not regret it at all. However, it will make your skin more sensitive to sun and actives.
I have had 6-7 full IPL's (and several partials), and many peels, along with Fraxel and CO2 lasers. The lasers were harsh on my skin and a hgue regret. The IPL's did the most good, especially since I have rosacea. They do freshen up the skin, remove some sun spots and reverse SOME sun damage. However, you do have to have a series of at least 3 IMHO to see progress and do a once a year refresher. I go every 1-2 years now. The trick (having learned the hard way), is to find a technician that knows what they are doing, is not overly agressive and to have decent (not overly high) expectations of what the IPLS can do.
I use Johnson and Johnson Purpose wash to clean each night, (recommended by SO many derms) and it is very gentle, along with my Clarisonic. I follow that by using my LED Baby Quasar once a week as well.
I am currently using the Retin-A again, recommended by my derm and prescribed (but it was cheaper to buy it thru inhousepharmacy since my insurance does not cover it). Not "self-prescribed" but this is my 5th rodeo of having it recommended to me by a derm as a good follow-up to earlier years of sun damage now. I just can't always stick it out thru the first rough ptaches of adjustment. Both my derm, aesthetica doc and the plastic surgeon who did my upper and lower blephs (and I just saw 2 days ago for my yearly follow-up), recommended the Retin-A and advised sunscreen. I use Revision and Ulta, both do not clog pores and sit well on my skin.
But the best thing I can use daily and love on my skin is the Phyto-C Proheal Serum, Hydra Cool Serum and Active Serum once a week (since it is a strong active). I am not using the Active Serum right now while on Retin-A, but the docs agree I can add it back in once if and when my skin adjusts.
All these things though should be researched and have done your DD since you are breast-feeding.
Having been one of the first persons that Accutance was used on in Austin 30 years ago, I am more than well aware of ALL the pitfalls of that one! I did the trials when the dosage wasn't even established as well. Healthy, with a very healthy child 5 years after, but I am fortunate.
I go back into my derm next week so we shall see what he thinks as well. Communication with your practioners is key!

Thanks AnnieR. Nice to hear from someone who has personally been on roaccutane. I think I will go for the IPL. The place which has offered it to me is a very reputable place so I hope it will be ok. Only thing now is the question of money... Am finding, from reading this forum, there are so many things I want to buy and none of them are below Ł200 ha. Anyway I guess it is about priorities...

Definitely want to buy one of the LED devices. Just can't decide which one to go for: The Baby Quaser or AALS. Also went to the docs the other day and explained my situation. He has prescribed me some Retin A but said not to use it until I stop breastfeeding.

If you don't mind me asking how is your skin now after all the treatments you have had? Do you think you have managed to reverse the sun damage caused my accutane to the point where you have the same amount (or less) sun damage than other people in your peer group?

Moon
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:07 am      Reply with quote
My skin looked fab right after it and after every time I did the refresher course (pores gone, skin tight), which is why I love the stuff.
What has hurt me as much is the sun damage from my youth as well. I grew up a ranchers daughter in Texas, living as much outside and riding as possible (without sunscreen in my day).
Now I would say it looks pretty good for my age, but I had a hysterectomy in 2004 and THAT is when my skin began to show the fines lines. I started on my quest ever since then. But the Fraxel and one overly aggressive IPL (done by the same esthetician) did some lower face damage by the stretching and swelling of the procedures. That is what I am trying to correct now.
I am always taken aback when people tell me I have a beautiful complexion, guess 'cause I am looking into the devil mostly when I look at it (the magnifying mirror that my husband says is the bane of my existance).
I think the serums have made the most differance, along with IPL's done correctly.
My next move is another IPL, its been 4 years now and botox in my 11's and maybe crows feet. Its been about the same for it but I don't do it that often. I might have a little juvaderm in some of the deeper creases and see how long I can sweat out this round of Retin-A and how my skin responds before I do it.
As far as the LED goes, I have done many many reviews on it, along with this interview in the NY Times about 5 years ago:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/14/fashion/14skin.html?_r=1&adxnnl=1&pagewanted=1&adxnnlx=1330189254-GcjqICTKNkL7MfXT1JdX2g.
That photo was taken before my upper and lower bleph 3 1/2 years ago, which I have loved!
Can't say the Baby Q is worth the money, but I do still use it. I would read the reviews, it seems a lot of people have a firm choice of one over the other and some have both. The Baby Q is pricier. We were a few of the first to try it here and it has held up well.
I do have yearly PowWows with my derms and they are like a Jiffy Lube, there is always something that seems I should have done for maintenance! Laughing
As my plastic surgeon for my blephs said this week, "Well jeez, what do you expect? You are getting old". Smart Ass (we have a great relationship and are always joking around) but it was not the day for it after getting estrogen prescribed from my gyno for menopause, a cardiologist visit and a mammogram.
I am hoping that getting some of my swagger (estrogen) back, it should help a teeny bit and I do feel better already.
When I recommend or comment on a product/procedure, I always do it from experience and first-hand knowledge rather than the scientifics, you can always gather that info on the web and read to your hearts content. I want to know what ACTUALLY works in the real world for real people with similar skin types/issues, not from a paid advertiser or a derm hawking the latest procedure/drug de jour from the pharmaceutical company reps, I have been that route too. Thats why I love these forums. These are the expensive lessons learned and are far more valuable to me. Neutral

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:43 am      Reply with quote
Annie you look fantastic. Clearly the things you have done for your skin have paid off. Am feeling really encouraged now. If I look half as good as you when I am in my forties I will be happy Smile
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:59 am      Reply with quote
Thanks, you are too sweet! I am always up for being a guinea pig! I have learned so much from these forums and the contributors here. A few of the veterens are no longer here but quite a few still are since I first joined. Their recommendations such as TNS, IS CLinical, Phyto-C, a huge array of Vit. C Serums, etc. have really helped change my skin. Peels, micro-derm creams, copper peptides, who knew! The many people who have joined and shared their expriences/ products continue to add such an arsenal of weapons against anti-aging. But I also went thru a huge stash of products/regimes that DIDN'T work, haha. You share those as well and we all learn.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:26 am      Reply with quote
When skin is so sensitive I would definitely look at as little ingredients as possible and try to go natural if you can. I remember getting a second degree burn from boiling water and just rubbed a stalk of aloe vera plant on my hand... it healed in a few days and I have no scarring. Aloe is amazing, but take it straight from the plant!
Moon
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:30 am      Reply with quote
Went to a beauty exhibition last weekend where I came across a stall selling serums made by a company called Celfix. The man who was selling me them said that they actually reverse sun damage as they change the structure of the DNA in the skin. He said that in a test carried out on people with sun damage there was an improvement of between 40% - 70%. They measured this by using the Visia machines on each of the patients before and after they used the serums. He said they are publishing an article on it in the journal of dermatology or something next month.

Naturally so amazed was I by this I bought two of the serums (for the price of one) and have been using them religiously ever since. The serum which he said is the best as it has all three actives needed to have the most effect on the sun damage is called DNA youth recovery facial serum. Am thinking I might invest in an ultrasound probe to help push it in further.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:49 am      Reply with quote
And how are you liking them, any visible difference?

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:19 am      Reply with quote
Do you know I think there is. My skin looks plumper and in better condition somehow. Funny because it seemed almost too good to be true but really think it might be doing something. Maybe I should go back under the Visia in due course to see if it really is working. Anyway will keep you posted Smile
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:00 am      Reply with quote
That is very possible. There are several serums I use that do actually make my skin look and feel better, plumper when I put them on as compared to a regular product. Phytco-C ProHeal & Hydra Cool, Exuviance Bionic Serum, Skinmedica TNS Recovery and Babyface HA with Peptides all have that effect on me.

Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:28 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |