Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Retin-A Causing Crow's Feet/Fine Lines/Sagginess
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
jenn_leely

Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:20 pm      Reply with quote
Hi guys,

I've been using Retin-A on my undereye area (just below the lower lashes) to treat a couple of fine lines that recently developed (I just turned 29). Also put a little on the corners of my eyes and on the top of the upper eyelid (which has started sagging a little.) Had no sign of crow's feet or other lines/wrinkles before I started doing this (about 3 months ago). I did ease into it -- I wasn't using the Retin-A more than a few times a week.

Now, my undereye area is extremely thinned out (I can see little blood vessels under the surface -- never had that happen before) and I now have crow's feet starting and lots of little fine lines extending all the way down to the eye socket bone. I also have general sagginess in the entire eye area, starting from beneath my eyebrow all the way to the bottom of the eye socket bone. I am positive my skin was not like this before I started Retin-A.

I thought, OK, it's just dryness from the Retin-A, so I'll stop it for a couple of weeks and just moisturize. Which I did. But the new fine lines and crow's feet are not budging -- they're still there. So now I'm thinking it wasn't dryness at all that caused this.

I'm starting to panic and think that I've ruined my eyes for good!

Has anyone else had this happen? I know that a lot of people will say, "Oh, it's just that your skin is dehydrated and you have to stick it out with the Retin-A for at least 6 months to a year to see a difference."

I'm happy to continue using Retin-A if this is really the case, but the fact that ALL new lines are showing up has me really concerned. It literally looks like I've aged 20 years in a few months.

To those of you who did have new lines develop after using Retin-A, how severe were they? Did you notice LOTS of new lines? (I'm talking like 5+ new lines per eye, which is what I have.) Did anyone develop crow's feet? Did anyone notice their undereye area thinning so much that you could see blood vessels?

All of this has me really, really concerned and I would love to hear from those of you who have had really negative changes after using Retin-A that have now turned into positive changes after long-term use. Otherwise, I'm sincerely tempted to dump the Retin-A and save up for laser treatments. Sad

Thanks guys!

Oh, and one last thing -- has anyone used myristyl nicotinate with Retin-A under the eyes? This is supposed to prevent skin from thinning. I wonder if it would be effective to use NOW, after my skin has already thinned?
Glamcat
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:34 am      Reply with quote
Around my eyes was always the area I avoided with Retin-a -- because a couple of times when I was using it on my face it accidentally migrated towards my eyes and left the skin around them dry and peeling - I looked dreadful - so I always deliberately avoided applying anywhere near my eyes after that.

It wasnt until reading on EDS that plenty of people used it around their eyes that I became tempted to try it out -- but I do it very conservatively - I mix a dot of Retin-a with a dot of my eye cream (Refresh PM by Osmosis) and use like that - but only a couple of times a week - I've had no problems using it that way.

Obviously the way you were using it was too much for your skin - we're all different.

My suggestion is to keep using something very hydrating in the affected area. And please, before considering any lasers google IPL & Laser Damage/Disasters - there's plenty of horror stories out there, and I'm one of them! I posted this link on another post yesterday http://iplandlaserdamagesupport.prophpbb.com/ they also have a facebook page and you can see some horrible photos on both sites.
grhawk
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:43 am      Reply with quote
Where did you get the Retin A? Was it prescribed from your derm or did you get it off the internet? I would make sure you got a quality product. I never had any problem using Retin A but my skin barrier was real healthy after using a quality cleanser and cp's for a few years. Have you changed anything else you were doing? Were you out in the sun without covering your face or using a quality sunscreen?
jenn_leely

Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:15 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,

Yes, it was a prescription from my doc, for acne. I've used it for around 6 months on the rest of my face with no problem.

I've also been really careful about wearing sunglasses and strong sunscreen and sun avoidance, especially since I live in Australia where the sun is crazy strong.

Glamcat -- regarding the laser/IPL damage, I feel your pain...I had IPL for fading acne red marks and the settings were too high and I got hyper and hypopigmentation that I am still dealing with...that's another thing I like using the Retin-A for, as it's slowly been healing my pigmentation problems as well. I figured I would try the Retin-A around my eyes before I ever considered doing laser there because of my own bad experience. But now it seems I just messed up my eyes further, leaving me no choice but laser?!

Sad
evol

Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:46 am      Reply with quote
I'm no expert, but I have some dryness under my eyes..especially on my lower eyelids from retin a and it seems like its getting better when I put some emu oil there. good luck!
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:49 am      Reply with quote
Hi! Since you are already using Retin-A prescribed by the doctor, why not buy the whole set of Obagi to try? This will improve your skin dramatically. EDS sells them. You have to wait at least 3 months to 1 year to see dramatic results and maintain the results... Don't forget the sunscreen! It is important! BTW, I used to live in Melbourne and the sun is strong over there. People are very nice.....

Don't forget, you also need proper diet (that is if you are not getting enough) and lots of water to drink.....

You also need good moisturizer around the eye area and EDS sells them too.

jenn_leely wrote:
Hi guys,

I've been using Retin-A on my undereye area (just below the lower lashes) to treat a couple of fine lines that recently developed (I just turned 29). Also put a little on the corners of my eyes and on the top of the upper eyelid (which has started sagging a little.) Had no sign of crow's feet or other lines/wrinkles before I started doing this (about 3 months ago). I did ease into it -- I wasn't using the Retin-A more than a few times a week.

Now, my undereye area is extremely thinned out (I can see little blood vessels under the surface -- never had that happen before) and I now have crow's feet starting and lots of little fine lines extending all the way down to the eye socket bone. I also have general sagginess in the entire eye area, starting from beneath my eyebrow all the way to the bottom of the eye socket bone. I am positive my skin was not like this before I started Retin-A.

I thought, OK, it's just dryness from the Retin-A, so I'll stop it for a couple of weeks and just moisturize. Which I did. But the new fine lines and crow's feet are not budging -- they're still there. So now I'm thinking it wasn't dryness at all that caused this.

I'm starting to panic and think that I've ruined my eyes for good!

Has anyone else had this happen? I know that a lot of people will say, "Oh, it's just that your skin is dehydrated and you have to stick it out with the Retin-A for at least 6 months to a year to see a difference."

I'm happy to continue using Retin-A if this is really the case, but the fact that ALL new lines are showing up has me really concerned. It literally looks like I've aged 20 years in a few months.

To those of you who did have new lines develop after using Retin-A, how severe were they? Did you notice LOTS of new lines? (I'm talking like 5+ new lines per eye, which is what I have.) Did anyone develop crow's feet? Did anyone notice their undereye area thinning so much that you could see blood vessels?

All of this has me really, really concerned and I would love to hear from those of you who have had really negative changes after using Retin-A that have now turned into positive changes after long-term use. Otherwise, I'm sincerely tempted to dump the Retin-A and save up for laser treatments. Sad

Thanks guys!

Oh, and one last thing -- has anyone used myristyl nicotinate with Retin-A under the eyes? This is supposed to prevent skin from thinning. I wonder if it would be effective to use NOW, after my skin has already thinned?
Glamcat
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:00 am      Reply with quote
Please whatever you do, DO NOT think laser is your only option especially around your eyes! One of my clients had laser around her eyes by a top Brighton (Melbourne) plastic surgeon and it left her with scars! She said the original issues looked far better than the scars she was left with! Sad

Another customer when to the same plastic surgeon (he is also the head of something like the FRACGPS (Fellowship of the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners)) for laser to resolve a vein under her eye - sure he sorted the vein but left a big scar in its place. Shock

I would highly discourage the use of lasers around eyes Wink Definitely try something like Emu Oil - or go to your nearest La Mer Counter and ask them for a sample of the Creme - just the regular La Mer Creme (not the eye cream, it's not rich enough) and pat that gently into the affected area morning and night.

Please dont stress - these things happen from time to time from overuse of Retin-a - but the collagen will rebuild. It helps if you're not a smoker (please tell me you're not! because smoking slows collagen production!!!) and make sure you're taking a good quality multivitamin, a good vitamin C supplement (necessary for collagen production), there's a few other supplements that would help too but I dont want to overwhelm you if you're not into supplements Wink
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:45 am      Reply with quote
I would steer clear of Retin-A for the eyes. It's quite a strong product and too much of it can cause serious side effects as you may be experiencing. I agree with whoever talked about using Vitamin C. This is a much safer option for around the eyes. Copper peptides may also be an option, but really, a potent antioxidant serum should help reduce wrinkles significantly
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:47 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |