Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Upper Bleph Scheduled!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:44 am      Reply with quote
There is nothing else that will reverse age- related drooping lids, so I am going to have this done this coming month.

If you have had it done, or know someone who has - please provide me with your tips!

Thanks, BFG
sandooch
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:59 am      Reply with quote
I had this dome some 16 years ago. I loved it! My whole family has very heavy, hooded eyelids, so it really opened them up.

Unfortunately, the results do not last a lifetime, but my eyelids are still more open than my brother's and sister's are. I am now doing facial exercises to help get them back to where they were after my surgery.

My advice would be to make certain you have your pain prescription filled before you get the surgery done. Some doctors don't give you, or the person who drove you to the procedure, the prescription until after the surgery, leaving you in pain until it gets filled. Also, taking an Arnica supplement helps clear up the bruising faster.

Oh, and once you are completely healed (wish I'd know about this after I had mine done), get into a routine of facial exercise to keep those eyelids wide open.

Good luck to you!
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:54 pm      Reply with quote
Stop taking vitamin E the week before surgery but increase your vitamin C. It should prevent bruising and increase healing. I also stop vitamin E before getting filler or botox. I learned the hard way.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:23 am      Reply with quote
I have had the upper and lower 3 1/2 years ago, loved it!
Recovery wasn't too bad, no real pain. The problem was I had the CO2 laser with it, that's what was a painful and long recovery.
I started 4 weeks cutting back on the weekly wine/alcohol, then at 2 weeks vitamin E and Omegas, aspirin, pain relievers, heartburn medicine and 4 days was no alcohol AT ALL and started arnica, plus they had me taking a vitamin morning and night that helped with healing (their concoction). They had a protocol list of things, being that I was a heavy brusier.
The hardest part was sleeping on my back, so start that now if you don't already!
I was sold on the procedure in that you never have to do anyting else, which I now know may not be true, don't know what anyone else has been told. I went in a few days ago because I have a slight fat bulge going on at the inner left eye. I think it developed because I had a stitch orginally break and slightly keloid there. The doc claims it is because I am getting older, its been 3 1/2 years and nothing else. I need to do some more research about that, not a happy camper there! For 800.00 more, he can fix it, what? He is a great doc, very highly recommended and one of the best in town but I don't know about that. I can live with it now for sure, but it does kind of bother me.
Anyway, elevate the head, use sterile eye drops to help the crusties, sleep on the back and take arnica!
Best thing I ever did and the hubby wants to go next, heavy bags run in his family genetics!
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:03 am      Reply with quote
oh and one more thing - are you happy with the results? did it make a difference?

BFG
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:53 am      Reply with quote
Although I am not happy with the little fat pooch near the tear duct (which just developed within the last few months), I love, love love it! Would do it all over again in a heartbeat and the best thing I ever did (so far, haha).

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:40 am      Reply with quote
AnnieR wrote:
I love, love love it! Would do it all over again in a heartbeat and the best thing I ever did (so far, haha).

Agree completely! My only tip is to sleep sitting up for the first few days to stop fluid from going to your head to prevent swelling. I had a major problem in that I was allergic to the cream the doctor gave me to put on my eyes post surgery - if that had not have happened the whole thing would have been a walk in the park. It's actually one of the least invasive surgeries that you can have but it really makes a huge difference. All the best with it - you'll love it!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:59 am      Reply with quote
i work for a plastic surgeon and i say....go ahead and do it! you will feel great at the end of it all.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:22 pm      Reply with quote
The old style bleph takes too much fat and skin away which gives you a hollow, aged look that gets worse over time. Many plastic surgeons are now putting back fat and filler in those areas.
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:29 am      Reply with quote
Ok, just learned that my original doctor has been diagnosed with cancer and so I went for a follow up yesterday with his associate in the practice - also a long time, well known PS.

He recommends a temporal brow lift with the upper bleph for best results.

I came home and researched this in my PS books and turns out that he has given me some good advice, so now I have scheduled both procedures at the same time.

I am looking forward to this, of course a bit nervous about the pain and bruising and recovery.

BFG
Time2Bme
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:29 am      Reply with quote
Hi BFG,
I had an upper bleph just over a year ago. I am very happy with the results, but I did have some challenges for quite awhile. My PS took too much skin off my left eyelid so it didn't close completely for a months. It didn't look freaky because it was a very small opening in the centre of my eyelid. It caused me a lot of grief though.

Because my eyelids didn't shut tightly enough when I slept, my eyes got really dry. This caused them to be hyper sensitive to light. Even with dark sunglasses on, at it's worst, I had difficulty if I had to drive into the sun. It was painful and exhausting. I got headaches from it. Even though I used the eye lubricating gel over night and artificial tears drops throughout the day, my eyes were still effected. Over time, I then had a spasm in my left eye lid. It was t really noticeable to someone talking to me, but it drove me crazy. I felt like my left eye lid was twitching constantly. My regular Dr said it was due to muscle fatigue. I actually resorted to taping my eyelids shut when I slept. It helped a lot and I think help stretch the eyelid. I was obviously concerned that it would counteract any work the surgery had done and possible cause sagging underneath my eye. It didn't...phew!

I was also really susceptible to eye infections. I got them repeatedly for approximately 6 months after. I think it was all related to my eyes not closely tightly enough and being constantly dry and sensitive. I no longer get them.

It did get better over time. The light sensitivity lasted for a few months. It was the worst. Even working at a comouter without wearing sunglasses was difficult when it was at its worst. I still don't use any firming eye creams around my eyes. Anything that makes my skin tighten up makes my eye twitch again! It feels like I have to clamp my eyes shut when I sleep. As long as I don't use them, I don't have any problems anymore. I had my surgery a year and a half ago. My PS was highly recommended and had done my own Dr's eyes. Both she and the PS said they had never heard of this happening to any of his patients. She had referred at least 50 of her own patients to hum and all had been thrilled with the result.

What helped after the surgery....
I got bags of frozen peas that I put in the smallest ziplock freezer bag that I could buy. They were about the size of a snack or sandwich ziplock. I didn't find the sandwich ziplock bags worked as well. I filled up the bags with frozen peas. I changed the bags every ten minutes or so. Because the bags were smaller they weren't as heavy on my eyes lid. I still wrapped them in a really thin towel. A pillow case worked well too. I just let the end of the pillow case hang behind my head. If the towel is too thick, it isn't cold enough on your eye. I spent the entire first day on a lounge lawn chair in my living room. It worked great because my head was propped up, nut I was still lying down and my back was supported. I also slept a lot.

The last thing I would highly recommend if you are having the procedure in an office so they are one freezing you, rather than putting you to sleep, is to bring an iPod with you. I had relaxing music on when he was doing his thing! When he cuts, even though you can't feel anything, you are very aware that your eyelids are being cut and can see light through the lid even when your eyes are closed. At one point I felt like I could have gotten panicky. By deep breathing and focusing on the music playing, it really helped. I never expected to panic, but I could feel myself starting too.

This was a lot longer than I planned. I hope I didn't scare you! In the end, I am thrilled with the results. I could never wear eye shadows before because my eyes were so deep set and the lids were too heavy. Once my skin healed and I was able to wear makeup, Bobbi Brown eye shadow in the colour Shore completely concealed any redness. Your eyelids will stay red or purple coloured for quite awhile. I tried a number of eye lid primers, but none of them worked like the BB Shore cream eye shadow. It completely neutralized the red. shore is a beige shadow the same colour as skin tone, so it worked perfectly. Even though the redness has faded, I still have the odd blotchy red mark (my skin is quite fair) so I have continued to use Shore before I apply my shadows. It makes a great base and the eyeshadow looks better.

Hope this helped!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:58 am      Reply with quote
Oh wow, thank you so much for sharing your story. I am sorry that you had complications. Did your surgeon say that there were any possibilities of correcting this with another surgery?

They said they will be using "twilight sedation" with me for my two procedures, so I don't think I would even know I was listening to music?

I appreciate your tips very much, thank you.

Have most of your initial problems been now alleviated?

BFG
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:01 am      Reply with quote
One more thought that keeps going through my head:

"What if I don't end up looking like myself?"

But then I think -

*I don't look like myself now*.

That's what causes the most distress - when one day you look in the mirror and see somebody else - that's why I am doing this - to get myself back (or at least as much as I am able.)

BFG
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:03 am      Reply with quote
Sorry, one more thing:

I think that is why he suggested a temporal brow lift as well - to get better results without having to take too much eyelid skin

Fingers Crossed, BFG
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:15 am      Reply with quote
My hubby sat with me during the entire surgery (just a local) and watched. He was the first and last one Dr. Craven allowed, but he trusted him not to pass out. Problem was, I kept talking too much!
Most people didn't even know I had the blephs done, it was very natural for me. I think you will just feel you look like you but more AWAKE!
I think you will be very happy you had it done and I am so excited for you.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:06 pm      Reply with quote
BFG,

I'm totally fine now and am thrilled with the results.

I still don't use tightening eye cream or my skin feels too tight. The good thing is I don't too. The light sensitivity was terrible. I never realized dry eyes could cause such grief.

Annie said it perfectly - I look like myself, only more awake. It used to feel like I had heavy eyes. I felt like I had a weight sitting on my eye brows. All of that feeling is gone and I have lid definition. My skin wasn't saggy, I just had too much of it.

At first, I thought oh my God what have I done and I can't believe I paid that much to not be able to see in the sun.

There is no need for another procedure - in fact my results will likely last longer!! LOL. I wouldn't want to have to go through it again, mostly because I was afraid that it wasn't going to get any better....but it did and I'm very happy with the results.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:12 pm      Reply with quote
AnnieR wrote:
My hubby sat with me during the entire surgery (just a local) and watched. He was the first and last one Dr. Craven allowed, but he trusted him not to pass out. Problem was, I kept talking too much!
Most people didn't even know I had the blephs done, it was very natural for me. I think you will just feel you look like you but more AWAKE!
I think you will be very happy you had it done and I am so excited for you.

Annie, I did the same thing!!! I kept talking. I think it must have been because I was nervous.

When I saw the light despite having my eyes shut, I started to feel like I could wig-out! I told the surgeon that I was going to have go into my music now because I didn't want to think about what he was doing. My hubby was out of town, so a girlfriend went with me. She could hear me laughing and talking from the waiting room - she didn't think he had started the surgery.

BFG - don't be nervous. I was hesitant to say my story, but it is rare. I'm sure you will be thrilled with the results. Please let us know.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:32 am      Reply with quote
Well....I am now post-surgery!....home resting on the sofa and I can still see Smile

It went easier than I thought...thank you all for your feedback.

I think my anesthesia was the serious kind because I met with the anesthesiologist, she then inserted the needle, I felt a warmth through my veins, we all chatted a bit about the weather and I didn't remember a thing after that. The next thing I knew, I was sitting in a chair eyes closed, feeling very groggy, being attended to by a new person who was real sweet to me and kept me company until my daughter arrived to take me home.

I haven't really been in any pain. My forehead is sore and feels tight of course...I went back for a follow up this AM, they changed my dressing and gave me some antibacterial ointment on the forehead where it is swelling a bit. The one thing I did not expect to feel so much is the dizziness. As I said, I found the anesthesia to be powerful.

I took the pain pills anyway because I am a chicken.

I am now sipping on a green smoothie chockfull of too much - kale, protein,*Vitamin C*...almond milk, vitamins, yogurt, probiotics (to counteract the antibiotics)... stevia, grapefruit, lime, ice cubes...

A special thanks to DarkMoon who originally steered me to this doctor.

I have not looked in the mirror yet...daughter says I look like a cat, doctor says that will go away lol.

BFG
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:34 am      Reply with quote
PS - still can't get how to keep the ice pack on the forehead without it sliding off Sad

love the frozen eye mask Smile

BFG
sandooch
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:47 am      Reply with quote
Congratulations, and I'm glad everything turned out well for you. Yeah, you'll be a little taken aback when you do finally look into the mirror, but the swelling should go down considerably within a few days. You'll look as if you went a few rounds with Rocky Balboa. The bruising seemed to take longer to go away completely.

Good to hear that you are eating well. That should speed up the healing even more.

So, are you going to give us a before and after photo when you are all healed up? Wink
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:55 am      Reply with quote
Congrats, I am so excited for you! It took a good full 2 months until my results really "normalized" and i got really used to it.
Healed quicker, but then the little bit of scar redness and puffiness can linger a bit if you are a slow healer like me!
Best thing I ever did. Just wish I didn't have to go back and do for the little corner fix, but no one seems to notice but me. Crying or Very sad
Can't wait to see some photos of yours! Happy healing!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:10 am      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
Well....I am now post-surgery!....home resting on the sofa and I can still see Smile

It went easier than I thought...thank you all for your feedback.

I think my anesthesia was the serious kind because I met with the anesthesiologist, she then inserted the needle, I felt a warmth through my veins, we all chatted a bit about the weather and I didn't remember a thing after that. The next thing I knew, I was sitting in a chair eyes closed, feeling very groggy, being attended to by a new person who was real sweet to me and kept me company until my daughter arrived to take me home.

I haven't really been in any pain. My forehead is sore and feels tight of course...I went back for a follow up this AM, they changed my dressing and gave me some antibacterial ointment on the forehead where it is swelling a bit. The one thing I did not expect to feel so much is the dizziness. As I said, I found the anesthesia to be powerful.

I took the pain pills anyway because I am a chicken.

I am now sipping on a green smoothie chockfull of too much - kale, protein,*Vitamin C*...almond milk, vitamins, yogurt, probiotics (to counteract the antibiotics)... stevia, grapefruit, lime, ice cubes...

A special thanks to DarkMoon who originally steered me to this doctor.

I have not looked in the mirror yet...daughter says I look like a cat, doctor says that will go away lol.

BFG

Congratulations BFG, I am so glad all went well, I am sure you will look amazing once you are all healed and recovered! Enjoy pampering yourself, and the smoothies! Very Happy

P.S. I am so jealous, I want one! Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:40 am      Reply with quote
Best of Luck BFG, at least it's all over now and you will just get better and better every day!

Rest up!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:03 pm      Reply with quote
Congrats BFG! So happy to hear it has gone well for you.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:47 am      Reply with quote
The past couple mornings I have looked a bit scary - the bruising is now...*orange*...so I have orange puffy eyes - thank god for the clock...it keeps ticking and I know this will pass, hopefully!

Still, I can see through the mess that my previous face is emerging...

BFG
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:16 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |