Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Physical sunblock for oily/combination skin
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:44 pm      Reply with quote
Any new exciting finds?
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:57 am      Reply with quote
Can you try using something like mineral makeup?

I know that a lot of mineral makeup has an SPF?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:01 am      Reply with quote
Colorescience makes many micronized mineral sunscreen powders, clear and tinted. I love the Orb, thanks to Riley's recommendation! SPF 30 BTW.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:00 pm      Reply with quote
I stay away of powders because of the fear that powder particles can get inhaled into lungs and cause lung problems Sad

I love Devita sunblock but it is a bit too heavy in summer. I remember some EDS members discussed other physical sunblocks which are less heavy, but I can't remember the names!
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:21 pm      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:
Any new exciting finds?

Hi RussianSunshine!

I don't think anything new has come out yet. The only thing lighter than Devita that I can think of is the Clarins?
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:34 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
Colorescience makes many micronized mineral sunscreen powders, clear and tinted. I love the Orb, thanks to Riley's recommendation! SPF 30 BTW.

Here's what Nicky at Futurederm has to say about powder sunscreens:

7. Foundation or powder with SPF does not really work.

You need 14 times the average application to get the SPF protection listed on the package. Scientists test facial powders to determine SPF in a manner mandated by the FDA, assuming that 2mg of product will be used per cm2 of skin. However, the average face is about 600cm2, meaning that a person needs to apply about 1.2g of facial powder to get the SPF stated on the product’s label. Most women only apply about 0.085g of powder at a time – fourteen times less than you need to get the SPF listed on the package!

http://www.futurederm.com/2012/03/16/the-12-most-shocking-facts-about-skin-care-in-2012/

Seeing as how you use your powder over a liquid sunscreen DM I think you're OK.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:56 pm      Reply with quote
jom wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:

You need 14 times the average application to get the SPF protection listed on the package. Scientists test facial powders to determine SPF in a manner mandated by the FDA, assuming that 2mg of product will be used per cm2 of skin. However, the average face is about 600cm2, meaning that a person needs to apply about 1.2g of facial powder to get the SPF stated on the product’s label. Most women only apply about 0.085g of powder at a time – fourteen times less than you need to get the SPF listed on the package!

http://www.futurederm.com/2012/03/16/the-12-most-shocking-facts-about-skin-care-in-2012/

True jom,

Also when I do where makeup it is MMU so all added together it is a good amount, plus I avoid the sun as much as possible especially on my face. Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:09 am      Reply with quote
Clarins has more white cast than Devita and I would not say it is less moisturizing.

Have you heard about SkinCeuticals Physical Fusion UV Defense SPF 50?

It is supposed to be a slightly tinted fluid suitable for oily skin.

And what about EltaMD, riley, have you tried it?

rileygirl wrote:
RussianSunshine wrote:
Any new exciting finds?

Hi RussianSunshine!

I don't think anything new has come out yet. The only thing lighter than Devita that I can think of is the Clarins?
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:12 am      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:
Clarins has more white cast than Devita and I would not say it is less moisturizing.

Have you heard about SkinCeuticals Physical Fusion UV Defense SPF 50?

It is supposed to be a slightly tinted fluid suitable for oily skin.

And what about EltaMD, riley, have you tried it?

I only tried 1 Elta product 1 time, and it was a long time ago. I can't even remember the name. Just had a sample packet. I did not like it at all. Very greasy to me.

Yes, I have heard of the SC Physical Fusion SS, which is next on my list to purchase!
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:28 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:

Yes, I have heard of the SC Physical Fusion SS, which is next on my list to purchase!

And Paula says it is good for sensitive skin too. It would be nice to get a sample of it Rolling Eyes
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:46 am      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:

And Paula says it is good for sensitive skin too. It would be nice to get a sample of it Rolling Eyes

It would be nice to get a sample first, RussianSunshine. I am just not sure where we could get that!
rockhugger
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:57 am      Reply with quote
I like Burnout Eco-sensitive SPF 32 for my oily skin on hot, humid days. It's very matte and not too terribly whitening for my fair skin, just requires a bit of oil with my cleanser to wash it off.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:00 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
RussianSunshine wrote:

It would be nice to get a sample first, RussianSunshine. I am just not sure where we could get that!

There is a seller on ebay with sample/travel size, 12 for $22.95?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Skinceuticals-Physical-Fusion-UV-Defense-SPF-50-New-12-Sample-Travel-Sizes-/110843534179?pt=US_Skin_Care&hash=item19ceca1b63#ht_500wt_1156

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:18 pm      Reply with quote
DM, sounds expensive! Add $4 and you can get a full bottle:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SkinCeuticals-Physical-Fusion-UV-Defense-SPF-50-/270938189017?pt=US_Skin_Care&hash=item3f152cacd9#ht_918wt_936

DarkMoon wrote:
rileygirl wrote:
RussianSunshine wrote:

There is a seller on ebay with sample/travel size, 12 for $22.95?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Skinceuticals-Physical-Fusion-UV-Defense-SPF-50-New-12-Sample-Travel-Sizes-/110843534179?pt=US_Skin_Care&hash=item19ceca1b63#ht_500wt_1156
fitgineer
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:34 am      Reply with quote
jom wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:

You need 14 times the average application to get the SPF protection listed on the package. Scientists test facial powders to determine SPF in a manner mandated by the FDA, assuming that 2mg of product will be used per cm2 of skin. However, the average face is about 600cm2, meaning that a person needs to apply about 1.2g of facial powder to get the SPF stated on the product�s label. Most women only apply about 0.085g of powder at a time � fourteen times less than you need to get the SPF listed on the package!

Interesting. I too was looking for a powder with SPF 30+... I already use liquid sun screen, but what happens if you have foundation/powder on and you're going to be out in the sun? You can't reapply the liquid sunscreen.
So, I was hoping there would be a mineral powder I could apply periodically to keep the protection up...
Also, any stronger than 30 SPF liquid sun screen for oily/combination skin, other then the Skinceuticals 50SPF?
How long do the effects of a physical vs chemical sun screen last? If I'm in the office all day, will it still be effective at 5pm when I go out in the sun?...
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:48 pm      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:
I stay away of powders because of the fear that powder particles can get inhaled into lungs and cause lung problems Sad

I love Devita sunblock but it is a bit too heavy in summer. I remember some EDS members discussed other physical sunblocks which are less heavy, but I can't remember the names!

Have you tried the Devita Rx Ultrasolar 50? That is much lighter that the Devita SPF30s. My skin is sensitive/ eczematous but fine with this (always loves aloe!).
"This formulation is created specifically for those sensitive to breakouts but is an excellent choice for anyone interested in preventing the damaging effects of the sun.

Actives: Zinc Oxide 19% (Transparent), Titanium Dioxide 8%
Inactives: Purified water, Aloe Vera Gel, Capric/Caprylic Triglycerides (derived from Coconut Oil), Stearic Acid, Vegetable Glycerin, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Hyaluronic Acid, Glyceryl Stearate (from Vegetable Oil), Soy Lecithin, Vitamin E (Acetate), Allantoin, Comfrey Root Extract, Grape Seed Extract
"
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/devita-rx-ultrasolar-50-p_14030.htm

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:55 pm      Reply with quote
fitgineer wrote:

How long do the effects of a physical vs chemical sun screen last? If I'm in the office all day, will it still be effective at 5pm when I go out in the sun?...

You would need to reapply unless you used an endurance sports type product which generally won't have the texture you want. There is no way you are not going to sweat, produce sebum, blink, frown/ smile, drink/ eat, wipe or touch your face during the day. The zinc or titanium will be active indefinitely but all of these will cause the product to move around on the skin or transfer off.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:22 am      Reply with quote
jom wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:

Yes, I use the Colorescience Orb after Burnout Physical Sunscreen so you are correct. Smile

As to worries about inhaling the ZO&TD, I already wear MMU and with both the MMU and Orb, I hold my breath while applying as much as possible. People using any powder containing Talc need to be aware how that can also be bad if inhaled. Smile

I honestly feel we already breath such polluted air my products are a tiny part of a big picture? JMO.

The thing I like about the ORB is that I can reapply as needed without removing any makeup I am wearing, not an option with non-powder (crushed minerals) sunscreens. Plus I have a travel size as well as the regular, and the travel one fits easily in pocket or purse.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:51 am      Reply with quote
Firefox7275 wrote:

Have you tried the Devita Rx Ultrasolar 50? That is much lighter that the Devita SPF30s. My skin is sensitive/ eczematous but fine with this (always loves aloe!).
"[i]This formulation is created specifically for those sensitive to breakouts but is an excellent choice for anyone interested in preventing the damaging effects of the sun.

No, I haven't. If it is lighter than Devita SPF30 I am willing to try it.

So far I have been happy with Paula's Choice Pure Mineral Sunscreen SPF15 with the following ingredients:

Titanium Dioxide 6.94%; Zinc Oxide 2.25% (sunscreen agents). Other Ingredients: Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Cyclomethicone, Dimethicone (silicones used as skin conditioning and suspending agents for the sunscreen actives), Methylpropanediol (slip agent), PEG-10 Dimethicone (silicone thickener), Glycerin (skin-identical ingredient), PEG-10 Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer (water resisting agent), Alumina (thickener), Acrylates/Dimethicone Copolymer (water resisting agent), Camellia Oleifera (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract (antioxidants/soothing agents), Methicone (skin conditioning agent), Triethoxycaprylylsilane (binding agent), Butylene Glycol (solvent), Sodium Chloride (stabilizer), Magnesium Sulfate (thickener), Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben

It does feel nice on skin but has some silicones and parabens.
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:33 am      Reply with quote
I like Neutrogena Pure & Free™ Liquid Daily Sunblock SPF 50.

I love the liquid formula. I'm rather fair so I dont if it leaves a white cast.

http://www.neutrogena.com/product/pure+-+free-+liquid+daily+sunblock+spf+50%C2%A0.do?sortby=ourPicks
Ava with wings
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:31 am      Reply with quote
I'm still in love with Devita. I have dryer skin though, and I require extra oil to be put on before my sunscreen so I'm guessing it would work better out of the box for someone a bit oilier.

5% products discount

Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:14 am      Reply with quote
Have you tried Shiseido's sunblocks yet? I found the SPF 55 cream to be more drying/matte than the SPF 60 lotion, but they both have very cosmetically elegant and matte finishes.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 02, 2012 7:04 am      Reply with quote
The Organic Pharmacy, and SkinCeuticals Physical UV Defense
egyptiangoddess
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 04, 2012 5:19 am      Reply with quote
I second the recommendation for Shiseido spf 55 cream. Here in Canada it's spf 50 though. But yes, this sunscreen is really good. It does have fragrance though, but doesn't irritate my skin. Dries matte. Great under makeup. It's water resistant. I can't wear this everyday because my skin is dry and I can't have to wash my face more than once to remove it because my skin is too sensitive. But I will wear it if I am going to be outdoors. It does leave a slight white cast but I don't mind as I am very pale. And it is definitely on the drier side for a sunscreen. Definitely not oily and is definitely matte. Which I personally don't like very much but it's a good sunscreen nonetheless.

For an everyday sunscreen for indoors, I'm quite liking EltaMD Spf 46 UV Clear. It is zinc based and has 5% niacinimide. It's slightly dewy looking at first, which I quite like. But then it dries more matte. It is quite drying for my skin, so I'm thinking you might like this one then with your skin type. And the white cast is very minimal to non-existent. It has a sort of brightening effect if anything. (I actually wish it left MORE of a white cast because when sunscreens do that, they work like a tinted moisturizer for me LOL!)
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 04, 2012 8:07 am      Reply with quote
chyi wrote:
The Organic Pharmacy, and SkinCeuticals Physical UV Defense

chui, SkinCeuticals Physical UV Defense is on my list already!

egyptiangoddess wrote:

For an everyday sunscreen for indoors, I'm quite liking EltaMD Spf 46 UV Clear. It is zinc based and has 5% niacinimide. It's slightly dewy looking at first, which I quite like. But then it dries more matte. It is quite drying for my skin, so I'm thinking you might like this one then with your skin type. And the white cast is very minimal to non-existent. It has a sort of brightening effect if anything. (I actually wish it left MORE of a white cast because when sunscreens do that, they work like a tinted moisturizer for me LOL!)

egyptiangoddess ( lovely nick!), this sunblock surely looks interesting. Especially the fact that it contains 5% niacinamide! I also do not mind a tiny bit of white cast since I am very pale. Thanks for a suggestion!
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:16 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |