Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Skin Brushing Confusion
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
HamCheeseSandwich
5% products discount

Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:37 pm      Reply with quote
Well, here's my problem.
I've been searching information about Dry Skin Brushing for like 2 weeks now, and i'm very confused. Sad
Every single clip on Youtube and every health site seems do describe the technique different.
For example: while some says to do the brushing towards the heart, other recommends to do the brushing towards lymphtatic nodes and follow the watersheds.
There are also different recommendations about where to start or end and using circular motions or small strokes upward.
Can anyone just tell me the exact and proper technique about how to dry brush skin?
Because there are so many explanations that I can't see the wood for trees.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:02 pm      Reply with quote
HamCheeseSandwich wrote:
Well, here's my problem.
I've been searching information about Dry Skin Brushing for like 2 weeks now, and i'm very confused. Sad
Every single clip on Youtube and every health site seems do describe the technique different.
For example: while some says to do the brushing towards the heart, other recommends to do the brushing towards lymphtatic nodes and follow the watersheds.
There are also different recommendations about where to start or end and using circular motions or small strokes upward.
Can anyone just tell me the exact and proper technique about how to dry brush skin?

LOL.

I go in whatever direction my mood tells me at any given time, and use straight motion. I am sure others here have differing methods, my thought is there is no really right or wrong way to dry brush. Do what is most comfortable for you! Don't stress over a technique it should be a relaxing treat to do. Very Happy

5% products discount

Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:34 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
HamCheeseSandwich wrote:
Well, here's my problem.

LOL.

I go in whatever direction my mood tells me at any given time, and use straight motion. I am sure others here have differing methods, my thought is there is no really right or wrong way to dry brush. Do what is most comfortable for you! Don't stress over a technique it should be a relaxing treat to do. Very Happy

Hmmm, so you mean that there isn't really one exact technique for dry skin brushing, but that there are several ways to do it?
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:59 am      Reply with quote
Actually theres quite a bit of evidence that suggests that if you don't brush towards the heart you damage the veins. They have little valvs which run in that direction and by brushing in the opposite direction it weakens them and so you end up worst off. I found that out from Ellen Wood and there's quite a few warnings out there which I suspect is for this very reason!

But Ham & Cheese if you are brushing in the direction of the heart, you will be brushing the lymph nodes anyway.

Its like anything though, different experts promote different things, so you can find someone saying do circles on the belly, and then you find someone else saying to do up and down strokes.
DarkMoon wrote:
my thought is there is no really right or wrong way to dry brush. Do what is most comfortable for you! Don't stress over a technique it should be a relaxing treat to do. Very Happy
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:00 am      Reply with quote
HamCheeseSandwich wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
HamCheeseSandwich wrote:
Well, here's my problem.

LOL.

Hmmm, so you mean that there isn't really one exact technique for dry skin brushing, but that there are several ways to do it?

As you have seen you find so many different techniques both online and in different books, I just go with what seems most natural/comfortable for me. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:04 am      Reply with quote
TheresaMary wrote:
Actually theres quite a bit of evidence that suggests that if you don't brush towards the heart you damage the veins. They have little valvs which run in that direction and by brushing in the opposite direction it weakens them and so you end up worst off. I found that out from Ellen Wood and there's quite a few warnings out there which I suspect is for this very reason!

But Ham & Cheese if you are brushing in the direction of the heart, you will be brushing the lymph nodes anyway.

Its like anything though, different experts promote different things, so you can find someone saying do circles on the belly, and then you find someone else saying to do up and down strokes.
DarkMoon wrote:
my thought is there is no really right or wrong way to dry brush. Do what is most comfortable for you! Don't stress over a technique it should be a relaxing treat to do. Very Happy

Yes it is the same as what is taught to massage therapists you are supposed to work towards the heart, and I do find that is what is most natural to do when dry brushing.

5% products discount

Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:03 am      Reply with quote
Wish i knew this a bit earlier, it would have spared me a lot of time Laughing
But still wondering about how to brush the back/neck/shoulders area...
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:17 am      Reply with quote
HamCheeseSandwich wrote:

Unless you can con someone else into doing it for you, that is why I have 2 brushes the second is the long handled one I mentioned (similar in length to a bath brush). Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:54 am      Reply with quote
Carol Maggio sells a sisal strap that is great for getting all those back areas.

And I agree with everyone, I have always brushed towards the heart.

Btw, your name is delicious! Laughing
Sovajo
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:48 am      Reply with quote
HamCheeseSandwich wrote:

Everyone who's into dry skin brushing probably has their own favorite technique; mine is a program called Vital Chi Skin Brushing by Dr. Bruce Berkowsky. It's available in a book and on DVD. You can purchase them separately, or together as a set.

I've been using the program for several years, and really enjoy it. It's easy to learn and feels like a very complete routine. It covers the body from head to toe, and for the face, you switch from a body brush to a small facial brush (you can find those at Amazon, in health food stores, etc.)

I purchased the book and video set years ago. At that time the video was a VHS tape, and I have since replaced it with the DVD. As I mentioned, though, the routine is easy to learn, so after doing it a few times, you wouldn't have to use the DVD each time. Following the DVD takes about 15 minutes, but you could cut that time down when doing it on your own.

I just noticed at Amazon that there is a new updated version of the book with a bunch of additional information that sounds very interesting.

I have to agree with one of the reviewers at Amazon (Amanda M) who wrote: "You'll smile at the slightly 1970/80's photos of "guys in speedos with brush in hand" but the well explained brushing technique is invaluable".

The link to the updated version of the book at Amazon is: http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Berkowskys-Vital-Skin-Brushing-System/dp/1929587007/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

The link to Dr. Berkowsky's web site is: http://www.naturalhealthscience.com/index.php

Once at his site, you'll see the link to the Vital Chi Skin Brushing System.

Hope this helps!
HamCheeseSandwich
5% products discount

Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:31 pm      Reply with quote
Sovajo wrote:
HamCheeseSandwich wrote:

Everyone who's into dry skin brushing probably has their own favorite technique; mine is a program called Vital Chi Skin Brushing by Dr. Bruce Berkowsky. It's available in a book and on DVD. You can purchase them separately, or together as a set.

I've been using the program for several years, and really enjoy it. It's easy to learn and feels like a very complete routine. It covers the body from head to toe, and for the face, you switch from a body brush to a small facial brush (you can find those at Amazon, in health food stores, etc.)

I purchased the book and video set years ago. At that time the video was a VHS tape, and I have since replaced it with the DVD. As I mentioned, though, the routine is easy to learn, so after doing it a few times, you wouldn't have to use the DVD each time. Following the DVD takes about 15 minutes, but you could cut that time down when doing it on your own.

I just noticed at Amazon that there is a new updated version of the book with a bunch of additional information that sounds very interesting.

I have to agree with one of the reviewers at Amazon (Amanda M) who wrote: "You'll smile at the slightly 1970/80's photos of "guys in speedos with brush in hand" but the well explained brushing technique is invaluable".

The link to the updated version of the book at Amazon is: http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Berkowskys-Vital-Skin-Brushing-System/dp/1929587007/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

The link to Dr. Berkowsky's web site is: http://www.naturalhealthscience.com/index.php

Once at his site, you'll see the link to the Vital Chi Skin Brushing System.

Hope this helps!

That sounds good! I like the idea of following an established routine;)
But, i'm Dutch and i live in the Netherlands (so my english is not really good)
What do you think is better for me... The Book/ Dvd, or both?
sandooch
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:29 pm      Reply with quote
I don't dry brush as consistently as a should, but I also learned to go in the direction of the heart. I used to do T-Tapp exercise and Teresa Tapp had a dvd on dry brushing. She is really big on this and explains the many benefits of it, from lymph drainage to cellulite reduction/elimination to stretch mark reduction to skin tightening, etc... I really have to get into doing it daily again, because it made my skin feel amazing.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:50 pm      Reply with quote
@HamCheeseSandwich,

If I had to choose between the two, I'd pick the DVD, but that's because I'm more of a "visual" person; I like being able to see the moves demonstrated, and just follow along.

I'm planning to order the updated version of the book, mainly for the new FAQ section. It says in the description at Amazon: "Additionally, this expanded edition contains a highly detailed FAQS section. The Vital Chi Skin-Brushing Routine has been used by many thousands of people since 1994 and the FAQs section provides answers to those questions that Dr. Berkowsky has often received and that he feels have the most relevance for all readers".

Since I'm getting the new edition, I'd be happy to send you my older copy (at no charge) if you'd like. It's not a very big book (around 40 pages), and I don't think the postage to the Netherlands would be enough to worry about, so if you want it, PM me with your mailing address and I'll get it off to you. That way you could decide if the book was going to be enough, or if you wanted the DVD too. Smile
HamCheeseSandwich
5% products discount

Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:26 am      Reply with quote
Sovajo wrote:
@HamCheeseSandwich,

If I had to choose between the two, I'd pick the DVD, but that's because I'm more of a "visual" person; I like being able to see the moves demonstrated, and just follow along.

I'm planning to order the updated version of the book, mainly for the new FAQ section. It says in the description at Amazon: "Additionally, this expanded edition contains a highly detailed FAQS section. The Vital Chi Skin-Brushing Routine has been used by many thousands of people since 1994 and the FAQs section provides answers to those questions that Dr. Berkowsky has often received and that he feels have the most relevance for all readers".

Since I'm getting the new edition, I'd be happy to send you my older copy (at no charge) if you'd like. It's not a very big book (around 40 pages), and I don't think the postage to the Netherlands would be enough to worry about, so if you want it, PM me with your mailing address and I'll get it off to you. That way you could decide if the book was going to be enough, or if you wanted the DVD too. Smile

Aww thanks;D That is very kind of you!
going to send you a pm right now.
MidnightSunBaby
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:41 am      Reply with quote
Carole Maggio's no lipo lipo also has a body brushing demonstration. I have a brush, sisal mitt and strap and horse hair mitt.

This brushhttp://www.amazon.com/Kingsley-Natural-Bristle-Contoured-Wooden/dp/B0016ISD04/ref=sr_1_11?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1333787807&sr=1-11

And what Carole Maggio sells.

Breathe deeply while brushing. It is as invigorating for me as a cup of coffee. I just do it in the morning.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:07 am      Reply with quote
I just bought some self tanner towelettes and I wonder if anyone has ever had a problem with self tanner coming off with dry brushing? I do the No Lipo Lipo dry brushing.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:49 pm      Reply with quote
I would not mix self tanner and brushing. Its intense exfoliaton.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:37 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, fake tanners don't hold up against brushing. When I first started brushing I always had orange residue on the bristles. Fake tan didn't come off right away or got splotchy, but it faded fast, had to reapply pretty often. On the other hand, "tan" always looked nice, since there never was much old/dry skin on me that make "tan" look more orange.
In the end problem went away as dry brushing improved skin's appearance and I slowly grew out of my "tanning" habit. I also enjoy extended baths that resulted in fake tan coming off too. Talk about high maintenance. Laughing Also, the German paper about DHA/erythrulose being free radical sources also had a lot to do with me quitting fake tanners.
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:34 am      Reply with quote
Does anyone dry brush at night? I'm trying to figure out when to fit it into my routine. I like the idea of doing it at night, to get off all the dirt and dead skin from the day before going to bed and thinking that it might improve product penetration. On the other hand, I don't want it to wake me up too much before bedtime, plus it might be nice to do it in the morning to remove the remnants of the topicals that I apply at night. Anyone try both ways and have a preference? Thanks!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:39 am      Reply with quote
cm5597 wrote:
Does anyone dry brush at night? I'm trying to figure out when to fit it into my routine. I like the idea of doing it at night, to get off all the dirt and dead skin from the day before going to bed and thinking that it might improve product penetration. On the other hand, I don't want it to wake me up too much before bedtime, plus it might be nice to do it in the morning to remove the remnants of the topicals that I apply at night. Anyone try both ways and have a preference? Thanks!

I have done both and have not found any huge difference personally, I think it may be a matter of personal preference? Some may find it wakes them up too much before bed time while others find it quite relaxing.

I also feel with continued use you are keeping your skin receptive to your products. JMHO.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:56 am      Reply with quote
Thanks, Darkmoon Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:56 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon, why do you think that it would make the skin more receptive to products? Is it because of the exfoliating action?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:03 pm      Reply with quote
VeronicaM wrote:
DarkMoon, why do you think that it would make the skin more receptive to products? Is it because of the exfoliating action?

Oh absolutely Veronica, I think skin that is exfoliated in a healthy way will be more receptive, and bringing the blood flow to the surface would seem beneficial as well in that department? Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:25 pm      Reply with quote
sandooch wrote:
I don't dry brush as consistently as a should, but I also learned to go in the direction of the heart. I used to do T-Tapp exercise and Teresa Tapp had a dvd on dry brushing. She is really big on this and explains the many benefits of it, from lymph drainage to cellulite reduction/elimination to stretch mark reduction to skin tightening, etc... I really have to get into doing it daily again, because it made my skin feel amazing.

Stretch Mark reduction! *pricks up ears*
Sandooch do you remember if she said anything specific about this, or just suggested it would improve them generally? Would love to know!
havana8

Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:32 pm      Reply with quote
In case it is helpful, there are some helpful dry brushing threads listed in the index at the bottom of this post: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=474344#474344 Smile
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:50 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |