Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
What Multivitamin Do You Take?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:40 am      Reply with quote
Eating a well-balanced diet is the best way to get nutrients. However, it's very difficult to get all the nutrients that you need through diet alone every single day. Thus, taking a daily multivitamin might be beneficial for a lot of peole. In addition, taking a good, high-quality multivitamin could help those who want to improve the condition of their skin, hair, and/or nails (which probably includes many of the people on this forum).

Hence, I was wondering what daily multivitamins do you take? I live in the US, but I'm considering taking a multivitamin called Ortho-core. It's made by a Canadian company whose products have been approved by Health Canada.

I will probably take one or two per day. I'll also have to take an additional iron supplement since I'm a premenopausal woman. Here's a link to the supplements:

http://www.aor.ca/html/products.php?id=96

What do you think of the supplements? If you think they're mediocre, which multivitamins do you think are better?

Finally, which multivitamins do you take? How did you decide on your daily multivitamin?
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:43 am      Reply with quote
An additional iron supplement is not generally necessary. Iron builds up in your system. I suggest having your levels checked and take it if you need/dr suggested.

Also the serving size on your multi is 6 caps. 6 caps seems like alot since these multi's are not high doses IMO. You only take 1 or 2?
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:15 am      Reply with quote
It actually is not difficult to get most if not all of the nutrients we need each day though a balanced wholefood diet. Dieticians and others with a recognised qualification in nutritional advice are trained to give practical solutions to everyday problems. Unfortunately we have *some* alternative practitioners and laymen online suggesting that only fresh organic foods that are not widely available and take hours to prepare are nutritious. The research backing the nine-a-day message was not completed on organic home grown veggies, nor is ORAC.

We should not be supplementing individual or small groups of micronutrients without the guidance of a healthcare professional (registered dietican, consultant doctor, fitness pro with degree). Micronutrients work synergistically and in opposition: adding in odd ones at random can cause more problems than it solves. Furthermore the body does not absorb micronutrients from tablets as well as from food. Assuming you have a healthy diet including all the food groups in the right proportions (substitutions for vegetarians, allergies etc), a cheap complete multi-vitamin and mineral will act as an insurance policy.

If you want to take pricey supplements, ask the manufacturer for studies published in a reputable peer-reviewed journal then read the methodology carefully. Many times only in house 'clinical trials' are carried out and there is no consideration given to the participants' lifestyles or, worse, they disingenuously select people with defective diets.

Having clicked on the link, that is not a multivitamin it contains antioxidants and minerals. Question Check with the manufacturer what the form of vitamin A is, retinol is a separate chemical to retinyl palmitate. Have you thoroughly researched the principles of ortho-molecular medicine?

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:37 pm      Reply with quote
Pre-menopausal women lose a lot of iron (blood) during menstruation, and a lot of them are anemic for this reason.

On another note, what multivitamin do you take? How did you decide on that multivitamin?
7Destiny
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:31 pm      Reply with quote
VeronicaM wrote:
What do you think of the supplements?

I like that it has the right form of B 12, Methylcobalamin. I also like that it has astaxanthin and chlorphyllin. Smile
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:35 pm      Reply with quote
7Destiny wrote:
I like that it has the right form of B 12, Methylcobalamin. I also like that it has astaxanthin and chlorphyllin. Smile

Yeah, and it has tocotrienols as well as tocopherols--the two primary forms of vitamin E. All in all, it has six different forms of vitamin E and several forms of vitamin A (the preformed form as well as lutein, lycopene, beta-carotene, etc).

I just wonder if there's something better out there. I keep getting this feeling that there's something better out there.
7Destiny
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:51 pm      Reply with quote
I don't take a multi, just D3 and B Right. Thorne is a quality manufacturer if you want to check and see if you like their formulas.
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:13 pm      Reply with quote
7Destiny, how much D3 do you take?
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:52 pm      Reply with quote
VeronicaM wrote:
Pre-menopausal women lose a lot of iron (blood) during menstruation, and a lot of them are anemic for this reason.

On another note, what multivitamin do you take? How did you decide on that multivitamin?

I don't agree.
"A normal period is a blood loss between 20 and 60 ml (4-12 teaspoonfuls). Bleeding can last up to eight days, but bleeding for five days is average.
A heavy period is a blood loss of 60-80 ml or more. This is about half a teacupful or more. However, it is difficult to measure the amount of blood that you lose during a period
."
http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Heavy-Periods-(Menorrhagia).htm

"In the U.S., the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) estimated that 12% of all women age 12 to 49 years were iron deficient in 1999–2000. When broken down by groups, 10% of non-Hispanic white women, 22% of Mexican-American women, and 19% of non-Hispanic black women were iron deficient. Prevalence of iron deficiency anemia among lower income pregnant women has remained the same, at about 30%, since the 1980s."
http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/iron-HealthProfessional/

Here in the UK it is acceptable for a healthy adult - including ones who menstruate regularly - to donate a pint of blood (~550ml) every six months. Our donors are not dropping like flies with anaemia because the body is perfectly capable of making new blood cells.

Cause and effect is a different animal to risk factor. I see female client after female client who doesn't consume complete protein until the evening meal and is not eating a balanced diet generally. I very rarely see a client of either gender who eats offal or oily fish (iron), most don't meet even our minimum five-a-day of fruit and veggies (vit C). The solution is not a 'multivitamin' and I don't recommend them to clients routinely. Nor do I take one currently myself, tho I have previously used a complete own brand pharmacy product, topped up with a little magnesium for balance. This was an 'insurance policy' on top of a diet that was incredibly clean but still balanced. I am confident of that because I thoroughly researched and analysed it.

If a woman is concerned she is at risk of anaemia she should consume more foods rich in haem iron and vitamin C; if she has anaemia, menorrhagia or other risk factors (eg. strict vegans, athletes) she should be taking individual micronutrients under the guidance of her physician or a registered dietican. A medical professional may also recommend a zinc supplement because one of the 'side effects' of a higher iron intake can be reduced zinc absorption.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
ketchup
5% products discount

Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:57 pm      Reply with quote
I take Synergy Basic from vitacost. The bottle says to take 2, but I only take one because I eat, or try to anyway atleast eat healthy and I also workout at night so i tend to eat more during the day therefore get most of my nutrients etc. I've also learned that you shouldn't megadose with 1 vitamin/s as you can become deficient in others. Key to remember is these are supplements to your diet(I learned this the hard way).

I also take MSM 1000mg (optiMSM) and Acetyl L-Carnitine 500mg. MSM is great for skin, hair, and nails. Its also anti inflammatory which is great for my joints because i do lots of walking/running (upwards of 10 miles nightly). Acetyl L-Carnitine is for improved concentration, focus, alertness, and also great for burning fat.
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:51 pm      Reply with quote
I take the supplement that I sell, because it's proven to make your body create things like glutathione, the master antioxidant (which you can't take orally).

I do not take a multi vitamin, as I they are not necessary for me.

Omega 3's - 'cause I know with all the EVOO I use I need the balance.

D3 because I've tested too low.

And because I'm often anemic, as a result of horrifying monthlies (TMI!) I take iron accordingly. I usually know when I need it. As I'm seriously draggin' when I need it!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:37 am      Reply with quote
VeronicaM wrote:

I also disagree with this. If you know your anemic thats one thing but I wouldn't supplement iron unless you know you are.
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:48 am      Reply with quote
Everyone has a right to his/her own opinion.

There are some medical professionals who recommend iron for women in their childrearing years and probably some who don't. At the end of the day, you have to listen closely to your body, do your own research, and then do what you think is best.

I started this thread to find out what, if any, multivitamins EDS members were taking, not to debate whether premenopausal women should take iron.

If you choose to take iron, power to you. If you decide not to take it, power to you. If you choose to take a percentage of iron's RDA a day, power to you. If you decide to take iron a few times per week, then power to you as well.

We all have different bodies, different lifestyles, and different needs. In addition, we all have different opinions, and everyone is entitled to his/her opinion. If you disagree or agree with me, then I respect your opinion either way. At any rate, I choose not to discuss iron any further, and I hope that we can either bring the thread back to its original topic of multivitamins, or let it drift off into oblivion.

Thanks in advance for your understanding. Smile
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:00 am      Reply with quote
I take a few Whole food supplements (green and red) one is veggie and wheat grass ect. and the other is berries and fruits ect.

Calcium, Magnesium, D3, Probiotic mix. All I can think of at the moment, need my dose of coffee for the day.

I have known many women who did/do need iron supplements, and some like myself and 2 daughters 1 friend who can't take any due to our naturally high levels, my experience more are prone to anemia than are not....end on subject from me. Wink

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:56 am      Reply with quote
Firefox7275 wrote:
It actually is not difficult to get most if not all of the nutrients we need each day though a balanced wholefood diet... Furthermore the body does not absorb micronutrients from tablets as well as from food.

I totally agree. With a little bit of research and planning and long-term thinking and continual improvement, it is actually not hard to get all or virtually all the nutrients you need from food...and it's farrrrrrr better that way in that you will reap more benefits.

This is all to say that I used to take a multivitamin but dropped it after having fantastic results from eating a ton of fruits and veggies (20+ servings a day). Taking a multi paled in comparison. Now I only take vitamin B12 and vitamin D when I don't get enough sunshine.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:12 am      Reply with quote
I take the comprehensive multi sold by Dr. Weil.

I am middle aged and follow a calorie restricted diet.

This gives me some added nutrition.

BFG
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:20 am      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl,

How long have you been following a calorie-restricted diet and how much do you cut your calories by? How has that been working for you? TIA Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:29 am      Reply with quote
I take Centrum multivitamin from November to April plus additional Vitamin C when i exposed to potential infection.

It makes me feel more energized during cold months and, since both supplements are chewable, they make perfect dessert after dinner Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:59 pm      Reply with quote
I take New Chapter Organics One Daily for Women. Doesn't upset my stomach.
LauraLizzie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:48 pm      Reply with quote
I take 1 Gummy Vite every few days. They are for children and look and taste like candy.

I think I need to buy some real vitamins!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:29 pm      Reply with quote
LauraLizzie wrote:
I take 1 Gummy Vite every few days. They are for children and look and taste like candy.

I think I need to buy some real vitamins!

My 18yo DS takes adult gummy vitamins and loves them. I know that Vitacost sells a few brands of them.
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 08, 2012 10:24 pm      Reply with quote
Barefoot Girl, where do you get your Dr. Weil multi?

I just went looking for his vitamins (especially the multi-vitamin for optimum health) following allergic reactions to the Vitacost ones my husband uses.

Alas, everywhere (except 1 place which only has a couple bottles) seems to be sold out of all his bottled supplements or else have removed him off their product list altogether.

I am wondering if they are overhauling the line or else if he is only doing the packet vitamins now...

Anyone know?

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 09, 2012 3:30 am      Reply with quote
Just my opinion, but I would buy Dr Weil vits/supps directly from his website if I were going to purchase them. I see a link to his "vitamin advisor" or similarly named vitamin area on almost every page of his site.

Possible they are off store shelves due to repackaging or maybe the merchant's contract to carry the line has fallen through. Also could be that the line is wildly popular and demand > supply.

I'm intrigued to read more about them.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 09, 2012 4:36 am      Reply with quote
tiger_tim wrote:
Barefoot Girl, where do you get your Dr. Weil multi?

I just went looking for his vitamins (especially the multi-vitamin for optimum health) following allergic reactions to the Vitacost ones my husband uses.

Alas, everywhere (except 1 place which only has a couple bottles) seems to be sold out of all his bottled supplements or else have removed him off their product list altogether.

I am wondering if they are overhauling the line or else if he is only doing the packet vitamins now...

Anyone know?

I looked last night and even "The Vitamin Shoppe" is not carrying them any longer.

Don't shoot the messenger my favorite manufacturer is on there too but he shows up on quackwatch? As far as I see you need to buy direct?

http://www.quackwatch.com/11Ind/weil.html

http://www.quackwatch.com/12Web/weiltest.html

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 09, 2012 5:45 am      Reply with quote
cjennyc wrote:
centrum anyone?

Very Happy Shock Very Happy Shock

Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:52 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |