Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

I need a 100% natural surfactant for making a skin cleanser?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
morocha
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 08, 2012 7:31 pm      Reply with quote
What is the best natural ingredient?

Thank You!
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 09, 2012 5:41 am      Reply with quote
Have you considered liquid Castille Soap?

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 09, 2012 8:04 am      Reply with quote
What is your definition of natural - the surfactant exists in nature or that it is derived from natural ingredients? Saponins are found in soap nuts, soapwort and soap bark tree.

If you are looking for 'derived from' you have a lot more choice, as Keliu says traditional alkaline soap is made from oils, as can sulphates and many other synthetic surfactants be. But these detergents have nothing in common with their parent oil, they are often highly alkaline and not emollient at all.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
morocha
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 09, 2012 8:56 am      Reply with quote
I'll be using castile soap which has Water, Saponified Organic Coconut, Sunflower and Castor oils, Citric Acid, and Rosemary extract.

Thank You!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 09, 2012 9:20 am      Reply with quote
morocha wrote:
I'll be using castile soap which has Water, Saponified Organic Coconut, Sunflower and Castor oils, Citric Acid, and Rosemary extract.

Thank You!

Here is what Keliu posted on another thread, she does add ACV to balance the pH and Aloe to add humectants.

Keliu wrote:
The cleansing bars that are sold now are not allowed to be called "soap" because they are not made from oils - this is where it becomes confusing. It is the "cleansing bars" that have given soap a bad name (incorrectly so). My point being that pure soap will not strip the skin like the cleansing bars.

I make my own shampoo using a combination of Dr. Bonner's Castile Soap, Apple Cider Vinegar and Aloe Vera Gel because regular shampoos make my scalp itch. Dr. Bonner's Castile Soap is made from Olive Oil.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 09, 2012 11:15 am      Reply with quote
Thank You! I'll add those ingredients as well!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 09, 2012 11:27 am      Reply with quote
morocha wrote:
Thank You! I'll add those ingredients as well!

You are welcome, I have made Keliu's shampoo and it is lovely! I know she posted she also uses it on her skin including her face! Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 09, 2012 11:40 am      Reply with quote
I'm going to order castille soap, aloe vera gel and other ingredients from Mountain Rose Herbs, I heard their products are high quality Smile

I also found this site which has good info on how to make your own lotion as well:

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Lotion

Thank You!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 09, 2012 11:45 am      Reply with quote
morocha wrote:
I'm going to order castille soap, aloe vera gel and other ingredients from Mountain Rose Herbs, I heard their products are high quality Smile

I also found this site which has good info on how to make your own lotion as well:

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Lotion

Thank You!

The two go to places I use for things like these are Mountain Rose Herbs and Majestic Mountain Sage!

You are right on track! Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 18, 2012 10:12 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:

You are welcome, I have made Keliu's shampoo and it is lovely! I know she posted she also uses it on her skin including her face! Very Happy

DM, is there a recipe for this shampoo? I bought Dr. Bronner's castille soap and would like to get it to a neutral pH. Would it work as shower gel/hand soap as well, or is it better suited as shampoo?

TIA
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 18, 2012 11:03 am      Reply with quote
fitgineer wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:

DM, is there a recipe for this shampoo? I bought Dr. Bronner's castille soap and would like to get it to a neutral pH. Would it work as shower gel/hand soap as well, or is it better suited as shampoo?

TIA

I know Keliu posted it someplace, I will try and find it, I saved it on my other Laptop which is in for a warranty repair (charger not charging!).

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 18, 2012 4:40 pm      Reply with quote
Here it is - DM, I may have tweaked it a bit since I first posted it.

1/4 cup Water
1 cup Castille Soap (I use the one with Peppermint Oil because it's good for hair)
2 tbspns Apple Cider Vinegar
2 tbspns Aloe Vera
1/4 tsp of Olive Oil

Whilst I'm shampooing with this in the shower, I've also been known to wash my face with it as well.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 18, 2012 4:52 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:

1/4 cup Water
1 cup Castille Soap (I use the one with Peppermint Oil because it's good for hair)
2 tbspns Aloe Vera
1/4 tsp of Olive Oil

Whilst I'm shampooing with this in the shower, I've also been known to wash my face with it as well.

Thank you Keliu,

I thought you might have, and I don't know if you posted but it never made it to the recipe index.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 19, 2012 11:25 am      Reply with quote
Polysorbate 20 makes a nice emulsion with oil and water that rinses cleanly and isnt harsh or stripping like alkaline soap.

http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ingredient.php?ingred06=705137

So its not "100% natural" but its derived from Lauric acid/coconut oil, not a petrochemical.
havana8

Sun May 20, 2012 3:03 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
Keliu wrote:

1/4 cup Water
2 tbspns Aloe Vera
1/4 tsp of Olive Oil

Thank you Keliu,

I thought you might have, and I don't know if you posted but it never made it to the recipe index.

Actually, both of Keliu's shampoo recipes are in the index in the hair section but I will add a listing for the latest 2012 version. HTHs. Smile
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 20, 2012 3:05 pm      Reply with quote
havana8 wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
Keliu wrote:

1/4 cup Water
2 tbspns Aloe Vera
1/4 tsp of Olive Oil

Thank you Keliu,

Actually, both of Keliu's shampoo recipes are in the index in the hair section but I will add a listing for the latest 2012 version. HTHs. Smile

Thank you Havana! Very Happy

Your work never ends here does it?

Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:53 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |