Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Bikram/ hot yoga gives you wrinkles?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Moon
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 09, 2012 9:13 am      Reply with quote
Have been reading some articles that say it gives you wrinkles, some that say the level of heat is bad for your skin and some that say it is actually anti ageing. Does anyone have any experience of any of these things?
Peggotty
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 09, 2012 9:42 am      Reply with quote
Been wondering about this too as I heard the same thing! something about the heat being too drying. I guess if it was more humidity heat than dry heat, I guess it would be better. Not sure what kind of heat they use to warm up the studio, so hoping someone more well versed in this can answer.
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 10, 2012 5:26 pm      Reply with quote
the only reason why they say that is because heat can dry out your skin. That is why drinking plenty of water and staying hydrated plus moisturizing is important. If this theory is correct, you can also say that people who live in hot climates are more wrinkly and look older. I don't think this is true.
I take scorching hot showers daily plus do hot yoga and don't find that it causes me wrinkles. Wrinkles show up better in dehydrated skin so drink tons of water always!

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 10, 2012 10:49 pm      Reply with quote
That makes sense and it is true about the hot climates. How often do you do hot yoga BC girl? Would you recommend it?
erg
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 11, 2012 4:56 am      Reply with quote
I do hot yoga 4X per week and my skin has never looked better. It is like being in a sauna - your body is sweating out toxins. Add that plus inversion poses = very anti-aging.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 11, 2012 12:42 pm      Reply with quote
Moon wrote:
That makes sense and it is true about the hot climates. How often do you do hot yoga BC girl? Would you recommend it?

I do hot yoga probably 3x week. I see women in their 40's, 50's who practice hot yoga regularly and i think they actually look really youthful and good for their age. Sweating out toxins is good for you therefor making you feel better by increasing your energy and your metabolism. When your body is feeling good, less stressed, more energy and more fit...this really gives a higher contribution to slowing down the aging process compared to the heat that causes wrinkles. The toxins in your body, stress levels etc. would make you age much faster in anybody no matter where you are from. I would highly recommend hot yoga only if you are able to stand the heat, humidity and sweaty stinky yogi's that you share the room with. I must say, the first couple times are very challenging. The first time i did it, i nearly fainted. But you certainly get used to it. I feel so energized after my hot yoga class and know that the toxins are seeping out of my pores. I know this might sound gross...but I can literally smell the toxins. Like for example if i've had a weekend of drinking a few too many glasses of wine than I should have.... I go to hot yoga on the monday and can smell the scent of alcohol escaping out of my pores with my sweat....

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 15, 2012 11:35 pm      Reply with quote
Wow it sounds pretty intense. I have read lots of people saying what you said BC Girl about needing to persevere with the first sessions as they are tough. Must admit I am fair skinned and don't generally deal very well with heat. Have not been in a Sauna for many years and remember them making me feel slightly claustrophobic. The overall health benefits do sound good though so will give it a go. Just hope I don't faint!

Quote:
plus inversion poses = very anti-aging

Indeed Tonya (The raw foodist) believes that the combination of raw food and hot yoga are the ultimate concoction to slow down the ageing process. Am 24 at the moment but want to make sure I am doing what I can to age gracefully Smile
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 16, 2012 5:12 pm      Reply with quote
^ good for you Moon. I'm 27 and in the same boat as you. Trying to take measures to prevent the aging process best I can.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:18 am      Reply with quote
update: What I have found is that hot yoga dries out my hair. The studio that I practice at keeps the temp around 110 degrees with 50% humidity.
What I am going to do is apply some oil to my hair before class. The heat will help the oil penetrate and will protect my hair from damage.

As far as skin, I have read to:
1)Never touch your face during practice (to avoid spreading bacteria) and 2) practice with a bare face to allow you pores to sweat and 3) Finally wash your face asap after class is over.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:05 am      Reply with quote
Hi erg,

How thoughtful of you to remember this thread and report your experience. Will be sure to oil my hair when I get round to finally doing the hot yoga. Thanks for the tip and please keep us update on any further developments/ how the oiling goes Smile
BellaKai
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:36 pm      Reply with quote
Saunas have steam though -- isn't hot yoga just turning up the temperature in the room? I think that could be very drying.

Renee Rouleau's blog claimed that hot yoga can cause brown spots/hyperpigmentation, but I questioned it because she didn't really reference any specific study. It was worded as "recent studies" or something -- basically the blog said that the heat can make the melanocytes in the skin act up, especially for people who are prone to hyperpigmentation. I have this problem and even though I don't know if it's true or not, I have stayed away from hot yoga because of this. I don't know what to think, but I don't want to take any chances.
erg
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:54 pm      Reply with quote
alot of humidity is created with the heat and sweat of the other bodies in the room. It can actually be quite steamy.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:22 am      Reply with quote
I haven't done hot yoga much, but when I did do it and not shower, my skin was super soft from the sweat. My experience sweating is great for the skin, though you also want to be extra careful to stay hydrated. So I have a similar experience to BCgirl.

However, unlike BCgirl, hot showers are MURDER on my skin and dry it out. I avoid them as much as possible.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:50 am      Reply with quote
yes, my skin has never been softer!
I never really sweat from my face which is strange, just my body.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:15 am      Reply with quote
I thought hot yoga was the cheapest facial you could get! My skin looked great after a class. I wash my face and put on a treatment product so the heat can penetrate it deeper.

But I am worried about the heat causing broken capillaries. It did end up flaring up my eczema so I had to stop and dried my hair out. I should have put some coconut in it.

Then I started to get menopausal so any room even at 22c felt so scorching hot.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:54 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |