Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

What is the most hydrating oil?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
periwinkle7
5% products discount

Wed May 09, 2012 5:03 pm      Reply with quote
I have Camellia, but I have a rash on my face at the moment and it isn't hydrating enough. Is that as good as it gets? It is 85% Oleic afterall, but I'm not sure if that's what determines the moisturization.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 09, 2012 5:05 pm      Reply with quote
periwinkle7 wrote:
I have Camellia, but I have a rash on my face at the moment and it isn't hydrating enough. Is that as good as it gets? It is 85% Oleic afterall, but I'm not sure if that's what determines the moisturization.

What oils do you have readily at hand, or can purchase locally? I assume you do not wish to wait for shipping? Are you Vegan, against things like Emu oil or Lanolin (if not allergic)?

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 09, 2012 5:16 pm      Reply with quote
I love avocado oil. My skin is dry - and when it gets irritated this is what I reach for.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 09, 2012 5:25 pm      Reply with quote
erg wrote:
I love avocado oil. My skin is dry - and when it gets irritated this is what I reach for.

Me too erg love Avocado oil, all plant oils for that matter, but to be fair my skin never gets dry! Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 10, 2012 8:22 am      Reply with quote
There isn’t one oil that’s more hydrating than another across the boards, because many times when you apply an oil it depends on the reaction your skin has to that oil. So that’s why you will hear/read about many different suggestions. What we do know is that if someone has dry skin there is often a linked omega 3 deficiency according to recent studies carried out, and so that’s often a place I think is easy to start looking there first just to check if your eating foods that have any omega 3. Some people suggest olive oil, but that can be too heavy for some, whereas others like squalene or avocado. With avocado there are a lot of oils that claim to be avocado and are a small percentage of it – and the way I tell the difference is usually pure avocado oil is green in colour, whereas a lot of the shop bought avocado oils are yellow (and that could be any number of reasons – the oil going rancid etc).

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 10, 2012 8:25 am      Reply with quote
I have extremely dry skin and one of the most moisturizing oils for me is Macadamia Nut Oil.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 10, 2012 8:44 am      Reply with quote
leeleedeedee wrote:
I have extremely dry skin and one of the most moisturizing oils for me is Macadamia Nut Oil.

I adore Macadamia Nut oil, another that is super moisturizing is a soft butter Mango Butter is heaven on skin! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 10, 2012 10:39 am      Reply with quote
Oils alone don't add water they act as an occlusive (barrier), emollient (softener) and/ or help strengthen the skin barrier depending on the fatty acid profile. Personally I find oils are more hydrating and absorb far more easily when combined with a humectant such as aloe vera. The lipids in the skin barrier are primarily cholesterol, ceramides and the saturated fatty acids stearic and palmitic. Long chain omega-3s and the omega-6 GLA play a role but these *should* be supplied through your diet. If they are not the body may substitute oleic acid in sebum and cell membranes and this can have a negative effect on function.

Few plant oils supply the lipids found in a healthy stratus corneum. That is not a problem for everyone, because not everyone's skin barrier needs supporting! Options include West African shea butter (stearic), palm fruit oil (palmitic), lanolin (cholesterol & saturates), lecithin (precursors of ceramides), borage (GLA). Which of these is most effective will vary from person to person - some with dermatitis have a genetic issue with converting the omega-6 LA to GLA; as women head into the menopause production of cholesterol particularly slows. Note that medical grade lanolin is considered hypoallergenic.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
leeleedeedee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 10, 2012 11:08 am      Reply with quote
Dark Moon.....you are so right!! Mango butter is heavenly and very moisturizing!!
LondonJamie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 10, 2012 1:04 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
leeleedeedee wrote:

I adore Macadamia Nut oil, another that is super moisturizing is a soft butter Mango Butter is heaven on skin! Smile

Agree! Macadamia Nut oil is my number one oil for hydration. Also love Rosehip and Squalane. In fact, I usually mix them all together Smile
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 10, 2012 1:11 pm      Reply with quote
LondonJamie wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
leeleedeedee wrote:

Agree! Macadamia Nut oil is my number one oil for hydration. Also love Rosehip and Squalane. In fact, I usually mix them all together Smile

LOL. you would think I am nuts if you saw my collection of oils and butters!

I am a mixer as well, getting all the goodies from various oils! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 10, 2012 1:35 pm      Reply with quote
Oil hoarder here too ... Cool My problem is trying to use them up before they go rancid.. I've since learned to buy the smallest sizes for most..

Favs:

-Macadamia
-Grapeseed
-Virgin Coconut
-Virgin Palm (stinky, red goodness.. Wink )
-Argan
-Avocado
-Jojoba (technically a wax ester)

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 10, 2012 1:56 pm      Reply with quote
What do you do with your red palm oil please Kassy? Do you use it neat or in recipes?

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
dionie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 10, 2012 6:02 pm      Reply with quote
My skin is not a fan of oils Crying or Very sad ...but lately it's been liking argan oil. Very Happy

I agree with Firefox. I like to add it to some aloe vera, or even tomy HA serum...which actually works out well. I don't like the feel of just plain oil on my face as I feel it just sits there and doesn't really hydrate, but I do like adding a couple drops in my moisturiser, or as mentioned above.

I like the sound of avocado oil though? Is it good for breakout prone skin?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 10, 2012 6:27 pm      Reply with quote
dionie wrote:
My skin is not a fan of oils Crying or Very sad ...but lately it's been liking argan oil. Very Happy

I agree with Firefox. I like to add it to some aloe vera, or even tomy HA serum...which actually works out well. I don't like the feel of just plain oil on my face as I feel it just sits there and doesn't really hydrate, but I do like adding a couple drops in my moisturiser, or as mentioned above.

I like the sound of avocado oil though? Is it good for breakout prone skin?

I don't break out (never have) but I also never apply oil to dry skin you either use a humectant first or apply on your face while still damp hence sealing moisture in. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 13, 2012 10:59 pm      Reply with quote
I use argan, baobab, tamunu, Decleor Iris, jojoba, emu and the Shea Terra Night Nourishment oils. For dry patches, find that applying baobab oil over Hada Labo Hyaluronic Acid Lotion is really effective.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 14, 2012 3:50 am      Reply with quote
I agree with Firefox - I don't think oils are necessarily that moisturising - but they do trap moisture in to the skin. If you have dry skin, I would apply a humectant (may be HA) first then the oil. My preference for a soothing oil is Emu.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:10 am      Reply with quote
Macadamia and avocado oil. Jojoba oil is most like our own skin's oil which means it is easily absorbed into the skin instead of sitting on top of the skin.
Things that don't sink into my skin make me break out.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:55 am      Reply with quote
My favs are emu, kukui, avocado, macadamia, rosehip, and coconut - but tend to use coconut more on body and hair rather than face.

I add a few drops of water when applying, seems to make the oils spread/absorb more easily. Or sometimes spray face with rose water before applying, for similar effect.
leeleedeedee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:52 am      Reply with quote
I heard that Jojoba can last quite a long time before it goes rancid. My problem with oils is knowing how long to keep them. Some can go rancid very fast. I think rosehip oil goes rancid fast.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:55 am      Reply with quote
leeleedeedee wrote:
I heard that Jojoba can last quite a long time before it goes rancid. My problem with oils is knowing how long to keep them. Some can go rancid very fast. I think rosehip oil goes rancid fast.

Yes and hemp seed also, I posted a list (not complete on the OCM thread I will see if I can find it!

Jojoba lasts me a long time being actually a wax ester. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:13 am      Reply with quote
That's interesting about hemp. I didn't know it went rancid so easily, but it's good to know that it does. Thank you!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:14 am      Reply with quote
leeleedeedee wrote:
That's interesting about hemp. I didn't know it went rancid so easily, but it's good to know that it does. Thank you!

It is one of the fast ones, Flax Seed is even quicker I buy it from a refrigerator at my health food store and store it there at home!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:36 pm      Reply with quote
Dark Moon....what do you use the hemp oil for?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:38 pm      Reply with quote
leeleedeedee wrote:
Dark Moon....what do you use the hemp oil for?

I mix many oils at times for OCM and make my oil blends with EO's! I also switch oils in some recipes just because it is fun and to see what i like best! Little bit of a mad mixer! Laughing

Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:09 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |