Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Can Sleeping positions affect aging?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Poll :: Can sleeping positions affect aging of the skin?

Yes, I think certain sleeping positions can increase or affect aging of the skin.
91%
 91%  [ 22 ]
No, I do not think certain sleeping positions can increase or affect aging of the skin.
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
Don't know/Not sure.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 24

egyptiangoddess
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 14, 2012 4:50 am      Reply with quote
What do you think? Does sleeping on your stomach or side increase aging of the skin? (Regardless of the type of pillowcase used!) And does sleeping on your back lessen aging?

Opinions?

ETA: A Poll. Very Happy
erg
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 14, 2012 5:24 am      Reply with quote
I have one large sleep wrinkle - like a circle under my eye. I sleep on my side. Trying to learn how to sleep on my back!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 14, 2012 5:37 am      Reply with quote
I voted yes as I know it is said to be true, I can't manage sleeping on my back so the best I have come up with is switching sides! At least my lines will be evenly distributed. Shock

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 14, 2012 6:21 am      Reply with quote
Oh, heck yeah! My sister (against my years of wrinkle warnings) always sleeps on her belly with her face smashed into her pillow, creating lines on the sides of her face that are now a permanent part of her features. Sad

I am 3 years older than her, but people are always assuming I'm her younger sister. For the last 22 years, I've trained myself to sleep only on my side with my face slightly tilted up so it is not pressed into my pillow. I think that makes a huge difference in certain lines on the face.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 14, 2012 9:02 am      Reply with quote
I know this sounds crazy, but I sleep on my left side probably 90% of the time, and noticed the other day that ear was flatter to my head than my right one! The right one looks bigger & sticks out further from my head. And, no, it's not my imagination, they used to be more or less the same shape & size.

I also have a small crease on the corner above my lip on that side.
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 14, 2012 9:23 am      Reply with quote
I think it's a contributing factor.

So, I've shared a bit about my sleep drama. I have to sleep with a stunning c-pap machine. It's ever so glam! Anyhow. the mask def. leaves it's mark over night. But not EVERY night. Now what is different?

Well, I THINK my diet plays into this. Example: Last night I had pizza for dinner. WAY too much sodium. (sometimes I think a hangover would be better.) But I can def. see in my face what the sodium did to me last night! And the mark is still visible after being mask free for nearly 2.25 hours. This is usually NOT the case. Usually, I take the mask off, take a shower, and all marks are gone. Regardless, they are gone by mid day. Of course, I massage like a nut case. So, I'm not worried about it.

NOW... WHAT IF???? My diet was crap every day???? I think my face would suffer in appearance. My skin would be retaining, and puffy more often. Marks would be more obvious. But to further the issue: We are seeing that food is impacting our DNA. The oxidative stress caused by crap food is bound to influence your appearance, because it IS influencing your health. I imagine it therefore impacts your ability to endure a less than silky pillow for example.

Further... given my issue, I KNOW that NOW I'm getting way better oxygen at night. My O2 levels have been monitored. So without my mask I was dropping as low as 72% = VERY VERY BAD, PENDING DEATH KIND OF BAD... but now I stay in the 90% range. Think that makes a difference? YOU BET! Way more of a difference than sleep position. And here's a hint. You have NO IDEA if you're not breathing properly in your sleep, unless you have an AWARE bed partner. HOW IS YOUR SLEEP? If you wake tired, I encourage a sleep study! Your life could depend on it, not to mention your wrinkles!

So, NOW I get way better sleep, my skin looks more refreshed, and rejuvenates faster. I can tell this with less fluid retention, and also when I break out, I heal at top speed! I also run around like an energizer bunny compared to what I used to. And finally I have medical tests to prove it!

Basically, my point is... Sleep position is likely a part of a HUGE, much larger EQUATION. I don't know how heavily it's weighted. I'd take it into consideration. But I'd be MORE concerned about other variables that I have more cognitive control over. What I'm eating, putting into my body by way of toxins, exercise, sleep quality and quantity, do I relax at all etc...

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 14, 2012 9:34 am      Reply with quote
Gayle wrote:
I know this sounds crazy, but I sleep on my left side probably 90% of the time, and noticed the other day that ear was flatter to my head than my right one! The right one looks bigger & sticks out further from my head. And, no, it's not my imagination, they used to be more or less the same shape & size.

I also have a small crease on the corner above my lip on that side.

Your ear is cartilage and quite malleable. Your nose too. Many patients are told to massage their noses after a surg. to keep bumps form reoccurring etc.

Granted they are WAY MORE malleable at the infant stage. But if you're doing a day in day out manipulation by way of laying on your ear, I'd not be surprised at all by the shape change.

Other evidence that pressure impacts: infants and toddlers that are left to sleep in one position, or in a car seat at the babysitters (it happens Crying or Very sad ) end up with FLAT skulls. Their bones still soft and malleable.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 16, 2012 3:51 am      Reply with quote
Oh my! I sleep on my stomach. I'd better learn how to sleep on my back! Shock

Claudia, that's really sad about infants skulls omg! Crying or Very sad
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 16, 2012 1:55 pm      Reply with quote
My dermatologist told me that one of my 11's is larger because I sleep on my side.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 16, 2012 5:08 pm      Reply with quote
i can't help but sleep on my stomach, that is the most comfy position for me...but i've been positioning and folding my pillows a certain way to try to avoid as much face-to-pillow contact as possible.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 17, 2012 4:56 am      Reply with quote
BCgirl, argh I know, stomach sleeping is so comfy LOL. I just got some silk pillowcases to help. Shock They're so wonderful! And are really gentle on my skin and hair looks much better with them! Anyone else use silk pillowcases?
loopylori
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 20, 2012 11:56 am      Reply with quote
I have tried sleeping on my back but I always end up lying on my left side. I definitely have more wrinkles on that side of my face.
I cannot sleep on silk pillows. I like a nice cool cotton pillow case.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 20, 2012 12:24 pm      Reply with quote
loopylori wrote:
I have tried sleeping on my back but I always end up lying on my left side. I definitely have more wrinkles on that side of my face.
I cannot sleep on silk pillows. I like a nice cool cotton pillow case.

I am the same lori, I have learned to switch sides but can't sleep on my back at all! I have the added issue of suffocating under the weight of my own boobies. Shock

Cotton all the way here also!

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 20, 2012 12:30 pm      Reply with quote
I just bought a Save My Face pillow directly from their website today, it's the Le petite champaign color, I'll update you once I receive it and start using it!
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 20, 2012 12:41 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with Claudia: positions are a contributing factor to stretching the facial skin and causing dependent edema and creasing.

Please bear in mind that even if you side-sleep and use a pillow that prevents contact with the skin, you still are subjecting the face to gravity on the opposite side and this also causes creases, edema, stretching.

I used to be a stomach-sleeper too but trained myself to back-sleep with pillows under arms, back, legs. If I would wake up and find myself on my side I flipped back and told myself to stop it! Gradually I have stayed on my back all night (moving my body side to side slightly to get off my tailbone) but keeping my head from pressing against the pillow. Its a process but its helping.
egyptiangoddess
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2012 2:31 am      Reply with quote
loopy, I still can't decide which type of pillowcase I like best!

morocha, I've heard of those. Tell us how it goes. Smile

DM, bahaha suffocating under the weight of your boobs! Laughing

fawnie, thanks for the tips. I'm trying desperately to learn to sleep on my back! Shock
Tiny
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2012 7:45 am      Reply with quote
I am a side sleeper too, but the side I sleep on is not the side of my face thats the worst Confused . Perpahs its the side hanging from gravity (yikes).

My grandmother slept on a silk pillow for as long as I can remember, she did have beautiful skin well into her 80's! Have I followed in her footsteps with the pillow, of course not, it had not occurred to me till now lmao!
loopylori
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2012 10:23 am      Reply with quote
Tiny wrote:
I am a side sleeper too, but the side I sleep on is not the side of my face thats the worst Confused . Perpahs its the side hanging from gravity (yikes).

My grandmother slept on a silk pillow for as long as I can remember, she did have beautiful skin well into her 80's! Have I followed in her footsteps with the pillow, of course not, it had not occurred to me till now lmao!

So did you rush out and buy silk today?

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2012 10:28 am      Reply with quote
egyptiangoddess wrote:

fawnie, thanks for the tips. I'm trying desperately to learn to sleep on my back! Shock

No laughing....they are ridiculous! Bad Grin Bad Grin Bad Grin Bad Grin

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2012 10:30 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
egyptiangoddess wrote:

scared to ask, what are ridiculous, the pillows or the chacha's Cool
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2012 10:32 am      Reply with quote
Tiny wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
egyptiangoddess wrote:

tata's Embarassed

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2012 10:36 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
Tiny wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
egyptiangoddess wrote:

tata's Embarassed

I can sadly only comment on the pillow!! And yes Ms. Loopy I will add this, doubtful today, but I saw with my eyes, her skin!!!!!
egyptiangoddess
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2012 5:12 am      Reply with quote
LMAO!!!!!!!! You guys are hilarious. Laughing

Tiny, LOL! I got my silk pillowcases from "feelingpampered" (you can find them on google or on ebay. I got them from their site). I love them! They have lots of colors and they're really nice yet reasonably priced!

Except then I washed them with that Dark Woolite, and then I ended up having an allergic reaction to the damn woolite and it took a week to heal! In my pursuit of anti-aging that happens. Typical right? Laughing I now DO NOT RECOMMEND DARK WOOLITE LOL!
agatha
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2012 7:54 am      Reply with quote
I used to have a habit to tuck my hand under my head while sleeping.
I would wake up every morning with a crease in the NL area (or in the middle of my cheek, depending on the hand position) which would dissipate after an hour or so.

So I started wearing frownies (those for NL folds) and training myself to tuck my hand under the pillow instead. I just can't seem to simply relax it Smile. Anyway, my NL's now look far better in the morning than later in the day.
Tiny
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2012 8:02 am      Reply with quote
egyptiangoddess wrote:
LMAO!!!!!!!! You guys are hilarious. Laughing

Tiny, LOL! I got my silk pillowcases from "feelingpampered" (you can find them on google or on ebay. I got them from their site). I love them! They have lots of colors and they're really nice yet reasonably priced!

Except then I washed them with that Dark Woolite, and then I ended up having an allergic reaction to the damn woolite and it took a week to heal! In my pursuit of anti-aging that happens. Typical right? Laughing I now DO NOT RECOMMEND DARK WOOLITE LOL!

LMAO!!! fix one problem and create another Laughing Laughing memo to self, no woolite
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:56 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |