Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Wrinkles around mouth corners from using Dental Floss...?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
morocha
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 14, 2012 2:37 pm      Reply with quote
Have you noticed that after using your dental floss you tend to develop lines around the corners of your mouth?

How can someone avoid this? Are there any other alternatives?

Thank You!
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 14, 2012 3:18 pm      Reply with quote
Do you mean the NL lines? You could try using the floss picks that dont require you to open the mouth as widely.

Consider the alternative to flossing: Gingivitis and plaque.
fitgineer
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 14, 2012 3:33 pm      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
Do you mean the NL lines? You could try using the floss picks that dont require you to open the mouth as widely.

Consider the alternative to flossing: Gingivitis and plaque.

I agree, my dentist said floss picks are not as beneficial as floss, but they are better than no floss Smile
egyptiangoddess
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 16, 2012 4:07 am      Reply with quote
Omg I was noticing this too. Fine lines from flossing! And little fine lines right above my upper lip from swishing with mouthwash. Shock Though they go away if I use a good moisturizer I think. I'm scared they'll become permanent though! Sad Maybe you could try a better moisturizer to help?

The only alternatives to flossing that I know of are:

-A water irrigation/flosser device such as a Water Pik or an Interplak water jet.

-An "Air flosser" like the one Sonicare has.

-Or "Dr. Ellies System" which is a system created by a Dentist named Dr. Ellie to cure gingivitis and oral disease without flossing.

Many people also say that when they switch to an electric toothbrush, it cleans so well that they stop flossing and the Dentist doesn't know. LOL! So you could also try that. Though I wouldn't recommend it. I use an electric toothbrush and still need to floss!
morocha
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 16, 2012 5:35 pm      Reply with quote
Waterpik sounds like a great alternative!
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 16, 2012 6:47 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Morocha - Preventive dentistry is my specialty. There is no high quality alternative to flossing. There are gimmicks - some better alternatives than others. Waterpik is a good adjunct but not a substitute, a power toothbrush is great for getting rid of plaque biofilm on about 2/3's of the tooth surface but does not replace floss, listerine and even antibiotics are not going to take the place of dental floss. Seriously - more wrinkles from flossing. Shock Better than tooth loss. I'd say to examine your technique in the mirror and see if there is something you are doing to create a wrinkled look. Maybe you can self-correct.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 17, 2012 4:51 am      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
Hi Morocha - Preventive dentistry is my specialty. There is no high quality alternative to flossing. There are gimmicks - some better alternatives than others. Waterpik is a good adjunct but not a substitute, a power toothbrush is great for getting rid of plaque biofilm on about 2/3's of the tooth surface but does not replace floss, listerine and even antibiotics are not going to take the place of dental floss. Seriously - more wrinkles from flossing. Shock Better than tooth loss. I'd say to examine your technique in the mirror and see if there is something you are doing to create a wrinkled look. Maybe you can self-correct.

I knew a Waterpik wasn't as good as flossing obviously. But she wanted alternatives so I suggested anything I could think of. Something is better than nothing if someone isn't going to floss. And I disagree that Dr Ellies system is a gimmick. It's helped a lot of people when flossing and brushing couldn't. Sometimes there are things that go beyond conventional wisdom that end up just as or more effective. Besides, not everyone who doesn't floss loses their teeth. My whole family doesn't floss and all have perfect teeth. I floss everyday and I still have gum problems! Crying or Very sad
rachaelshaw7

Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:01 pm      Reply with quote
I'm noticing more than wrinkles - deep indents on the side of my mouth where I have to run the floss to get to my back teeth.
I have a big mouth but it's narrow.

I bought those plackers things just to do the back teeth so that I can go in from the front instead of the side

But with those things you can't do the c shape that you have to do and really you should be changing them quite regularly between teeth and there's just not enough of them.

Does anyone know if there's permanent ones of these instead of throwaways that you can just thread the floss into?
arielstar08
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:45 am      Reply with quote
Brilliant advice. Waterpik is not a substitute for flossing.

Add a tongue cleaner for your morning routine too!

Oral hygiene should take precedent over all else. Losing teeth from decay (and gum disease) is a far worse problem to have them wrinkles.

sister sweets wrote:
arielstar08
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:50 am      Reply with quote
How about applying some eye cream in the corners of the mouth a few minutes ahead of flossing? This way, the skin there becomes more elastic and softer against the pressure from the floss/ fingers.

Maybe you could consider using the HIFU machine technology to remove the wrinkles, it has very good effect.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:40 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |