Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Serious help for a Serious Age Spot
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
schwarzl

Sun May 20, 2012 12:46 pm      Reply with quote
New here. Looking for a product that provides best results to Age Spot. I'm thinking Hydroquinon is my only, best option. I am a faithful Nia user but am thinking their depigmentation serum/spot solution won't be enough to satisfy. SUGGESTIONS PLEASE!
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 20, 2012 2:56 pm      Reply with quote
Welcome! Smile Either a vitamin C serum (MAP or AA2G are more stable forms than L-AA) or a KinNiaNag serum contains actives proven to be effective in hyperpigmentation. Be sure you are using a high factor physical sunscreen and reapplying frequently enough. Are you willing to DIY your serum or would you prefer a ready made product?

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
schwarzl

Sun May 20, 2012 5:10 pm      Reply with quote
Good question. I think ready made. I've done lasers (3 times so far this year) andam feeling that if my reg skin care in combo w/retin-a and Hydroquinon (haven't used it lately but have in the past) w/out the results I'd hoped for. Thx for the suggestions!
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 20, 2012 5:46 pm      Reply with quote
schwarzl wrote:
Good question. I think ready made. I've done lasers (3 times so far this year) andam feeling that if my reg skin care in combo w/retin-a and Hydroquinon (haven't used it lately but have in the past) w/out the results I'd hoped for. Thx for the suggestions!

When you say serious age spot, you mean small hyperpigmentation marks and not melasma right? What skincare did your dermatologist advise you to use alongside the laser treatment? Have they discussed TCA peels with you? Are you saying you have used hydroquinone with Retin-A in the past on these age spots without success, or on other hyperpigmentation with success? Are you using a high factor physical sunscreen?

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
natefan87
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2012 12:29 pm      Reply with quote
Firefox7275 wrote:
Welcome! Smile Either a vitamin C serum (MAP or AA2G are more stable forms than L-AA) or a KinNiaNag serum contains actives proven to be effective in hyperpigmentation. Be sure you are using a high factor physical sunscreen and reapplying frequently enough. Are you willing to DIY your serum or would you prefer a ready made product?

Firefox - Ive often heard that physical sunscreens are the best for protecting against spots, why is this?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2012 12:36 pm      Reply with quote
natefan87 wrote:
Firefox7275 wrote:

Firefox - Ive often heard that physical sunscreens are the best for protecting against spots, why is this?

I posted 2 charts showing that ZO has the best UVA/UVB protection and TD comes in second:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=38705&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=225

HTH Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2012 5:21 pm      Reply with quote
i have the Jan Marini "enlighted plus" on order. I hear this is a great product for age spots

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2012 7:11 pm      Reply with quote
natefan87 wrote:

Physical sunscreen act as a 'mirror', reflecting UVA and UVB and will continue to do so indefinitely. Chemical sunscreens need to be applied to bare skin so they are absorbed, do not necessarily protect against both UVA and UVB and may degrade with exposure, so they become inactive and/ or form damaging free radicals.

Marjorie
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 26, 2012 6:11 am      Reply with quote
I have two small very light beige spots around the eye area which really surprised me because I'm only 32 years old and I wear sun protection. My guess is I've got those while not wearing sunglasses and had not protected that close to the eyes zone. Now my fear is they will go darker as I grow older... Is that necessarily the case ? Can I get rid of them completely at this stage ? And if I read correctly I should be using vit. C serum on them ? Thank you for your help !
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 26, 2012 10:57 am      Reply with quote
Marjorie wrote:
I have two small very light beige spots around the eye area which really surprised me because I'm only 32 years old and I wear sun protection. My guess is I've got those while not wearing sunglasses and had not protected that close to the eyes zone. Now my fear is they will go darker as I grow older... Is that necessarily the case ? Can I get rid of them completely at this stage ? And if I read correctly I should be using vit. C serum on them ? Thank you for your help !

Which sunscreen are you using, are you applying the recommended amount and frequently? There are a number of actives that are proven effective on hyperpigmentation - vitamin C and retinoids, niacinamide with N-acetyl glucosamine. If you want to use vitamin C you might be safer choosing a non-acid form such as magnesium ascorbyl phosphate. Are you wanting to purchase something ready made or are you willing to DIY?

DragoN
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 26, 2012 11:05 am      Reply with quote
A Double-Blind, Randomized Clinical Trial of Niacinamide 4% versus Hydroquinone 4% in the Treatment of Melasma

Perhaps something like that may be helpful? Without the negative side effects.

If you make, first do no harm, your Law, you will never strike the first blow and will be known as a man of peace who can fight like ten tigers, a Human in the act of Being. There is no greater rank than this. Ashida Kim on War.~Cellese~AnteAge Serum and Accelerator, DermaRoller ,MyFawnie AA2G serum, KNN G ForceUltrasound., SEA, ChrySun 25% ZnO
Marjorie
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 27, 2012 5:30 am      Reply with quote
Firefox7275 wrote:
Marjorie wrote:

Which sunscreen are you using, are you applying the recommended amount and frequently? There are a number of actives that are proven effective on hyperpigmentation - vitamin C and retinoids, niacinamide with N-acetyl glucosamine. If you want to use vitamin C you might be safer choosing a non-acid form such as magnesium ascorbyl phosphate. Are you wanting to purchase something ready made or are you willing to DIY?

In the winter I don't really wear any sunscreen, but in the summer I use Clarins with SPF 40. The problem is I just realized we could (and should) put sunscreen around the eyes; I didn't know products with SPF existed for that area until I read about it in this forum. So I got La Roche-Posay eye cream with SPF 30. I think I got those marks somewhere in the 3 last years; in the summer I went on beach vacations and I guess that's when my skin was overexposed without sunscreen and without my sunglasses. Normally I don't reapply sunscreen during the day, except if I'm spending it outside. I'm pretty sure I apply enough, the problem was probably not applying everywhere I should have. I would like to use something ready made. Do you have a specific product to recommend ? And do you only apply such a product on affected areas or all over my face ? Thank you very much for your time. Smile
Marjorie
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 27, 2012 5:45 am      Reply with quote
DragoN wrote:
A Double-Blind, Randomized Clinical Trial of Niacinamide 4% versus Hydroquinone 4% in the Treatment of Melasma

Perhaps something like that may be helpful? Without the negative side effects.

Thank you very much Dragon. The results with niacinamide seem very conclusive with the minimal side effects. Is it something you have to get a medical prescription for or is it sold freely ? Also does it always come with 4% concentration ?
DragoN
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 27, 2012 9:27 am      Reply with quote
Nia24 is well liked by many.

However, I make my own. More effective.

Sunscreen every day everywhere. Find one that you really like and stock up.

If you make, first do no harm, your Law, you will never strike the first blow and will be known as a man of peace who can fight like ten tigers, a Human in the act of Being. There is no greater rank than this. Ashida Kim on War.~Cellese~AnteAge Serum and Accelerator, DermaRoller ,MyFawnie AA2G serum, KNN G ForceUltrasound., SEA, ChrySun 25% ZnO
egyptiangoddess
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 27, 2012 11:24 pm      Reply with quote
Marjorie, you might consider trying "EltaMD UV Clear spf 46" sunscreen. It has 5% Niacinimide in it. Smile
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 27, 2012 11:48 pm      Reply with quote
Marjorie wrote:

In the winter I don't really wear any sunscreen, but in the summer I use Clarins with SPF 40. The problem is I just realized we could (and should) put sunscreen around the eyes; I didn't know products with SPF existed for that area until I read about it in this forum. So I got La Roche-Posay eye cream with SPF 30. I think I got those marks somewhere in the 3 last years; in the summer I went on beach vacations and I guess that's when my skin was overexposed without sunscreen and without my sunglasses. Normally I don't reapply sunscreen during the day, except if I'm spending it outside. I'm pretty sure I apply enough, the problem was probably not applying everywhere I should have. I would like to use something ready made. Do you have a specific product to recommend ? And do you only apply such a product on affected areas or all over my face ? Thank you very much for your time. Smile

Apply a gentle sunscreen all over your face and eye area and use it all year round. UV can penetrate glass and cloud, bounce off concrete and snow into the shade. You need to reapply if you sit near a window or drive/ walk home in the daylight. IMO specific eye creams and sunscreens are a con, just choose something with ingredients gentle enough to use close to the eye. I like the Devita sunscreens but if your current product doesn't contain chemical sunscreen agents or other irritant ingredients you could simply continue with that. Cool

egyptiangoddess
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 28, 2012 1:07 am      Reply with quote
Yes, I agree you don't need a separate eye product. I use the EltaMD UV Clear spf 46 sunscreen all around my eyes as well as on my face, neck etc. and it doesn't irritate my eyes. Smile Many do but this sunscreen doesn't. Smile
Marjorie
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 28, 2012 6:59 am      Reply with quote
I'm all for using the same sunscreen for face and eye area, I have enough products as it is ! Laughing I'll have a look at DeVita and Elta. Thank you for your advice. Smile
Alexya
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 28, 2012 7:59 pm      Reply with quote
I found that a combination of a nice C serum in the AM, layered under my Replenix Power of Three serum, then adding a zinc oxide sunscreen keeps me from forming any new spots and helps lighten under my eyes.
In the PM I use a niacinamide serum or RA, and have found that this combination is removing my last stubborn spot.
I think it's the synergy of all these ingredients that is working so well. I was using everything else before I added the NiaNAG serum and that seemed to boost everything.
I recommend them all. For those who do not know, the Power of Three has a very high amount of green tea, plus resveratrol and caffeine. It's a very nice product and seems to boost the protection from the "rays".
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 28, 2012 8:03 pm      Reply with quote
egyptiangoddess wrote:
Marjorie, you might consider trying "EltaMD UV Clear spf 46" sunscreen. It has 5% Niacinimide in it. Smile

This is one of my favorite sunscreens for the face.

Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:42 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |