Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Question for those who are post-menopausal!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
sandooch
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 23, 2012 6:00 pm      Reply with quote
I've been in peri-menopause for a couple of years at least. No symptoms other than my 28-days-like-clockwork period coming at all different times of the month: sometimes 2 weeks after my last and one time 6 weeks after and everything in between. Sometimes they are extra heavy and other times very light.

I have now not had a period in 2 months. Very Happy That is the longest I have ever gone between periods. I am 49.5 years old. My mom told me she was 47 years, 7 months old when she got her last period (she remembers because it was on my brother's wedding day Razz ).

Now, I know I could still get it again, but I'm hoping it just stays away. I have not gotten a single hot flash or been extra biotchy lately or any other symtoms that come with menopause, but then, my mom and her sisters sailed through it without any well-know symptoms either.

I'd like to hear from those of you who've been through menopause. Did it just stop and no more or, did you go 3-6 months or more and get another one? I remember reading on another forum about a lady who went 9 months without one and then it came back. Shock What a bummer!! I don't know if menopause is similar with family members, but I sure would like it to be in my case. I can't wait to throw out my tampons and pads and be cramp free!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 23, 2012 6:08 pm      Reply with quote
I was always like clockwork, never missed a period unless pregnant or nursing! At 39 I started having longer and longer spaced between, the year I was 40 I had one major flooding period and then never again! I never had any symptoms at all!
Not everyone is that lucky but I know other women who breezed through! All you can do is either have a doctor check hormone levels or wait and see.
It may be prudent to have a check up with your Gyn just to be sure and know it is not something else! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 23, 2012 6:45 pm      Reply with quote
My gyne had me start a calendar when I started getting syptoms of peri-menopause about two years ago. Like you, sandooch - periods were coming at all different times and lasting either just a few days or a few weeks. But no other symptoms (that I could tell). Now it comes about every 2 or 3 months. I personally know someone who went 11 months and then got a period! Not menopause until its 12 months straight!!

Edited to add- one symptom that *might* be peri related could be the 10 lbs I've put on!! Weight doesn't melt off me like it use to Sad

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 23, 2012 7:07 pm      Reply with quote
I made it through 6 months straight with none, and then it struck again! Now the count begins all over again.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 23, 2012 7:18 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
I made it through 6 months straight with none, and then it struck again! Now the count begins all over again.

I had that one crazy year, then six or seven months and nothing until that last massive one and then it all stopped. Somehow I had a gut feeling that was the end game with the last one? So much fun waiting it out! Embarassed

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 23, 2012 8:44 pm      Reply with quote
Hey, I wouldn't mind having a flood of a period if that meant that was Auntie Flo's final appearance. Laughing Actually, I'm used to heavy periods since I first got mine at 11. The first day I'd usually go through 8-10 tampons and a couple of pads (always had to where both because I could go through a tampon pretty quick). Sorry if that was too much info. For the last couple of years though, they haven't been as heavy.

DarkMoon, how lucky to be done with yours at 40! And I'm pretty darn sure it's not the something else I'd need to see a gyno about. Let's just say that if I were pregnant, it would be an immaculate conception. Razz

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 23, 2012 8:50 pm      Reply with quote
sandooch wrote:
Hey, I wouldn't mind having a flood of a period if that meant that was Auntie Flo's final appearance. Laughing Actually, I'm used to heavy periods since I first got mine at 11. The first day I'd usually go through 8-10 tampons and a couple of pads (always had to where both because I could go through a tampon pretty quick). Sorry if that was too much info. For the last couple of years though, they haven't been as heavy.

DarkMoon, how lucky to be done with yours at 40! And I'm pretty darn sure it's not the something else I'd need to see a gyno about. Let's just say that if I were pregnant, it would be an immaculate conception. Razz

I can relate to the heavy flow I was always the same and 7-9 days of it!
I also started very young at 12 so we have that in common.

Your doctor could just do a blood test to check hormone levels, as that would be a sign you are getting ready for the fun to end finally! Very Happy

Don't laugh but when I knew it was done I about had a party to celebrate!!! Laughing Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 24, 2012 6:26 am      Reply with quote
I am soon to be 51 and now they are all over the board, in terms of frequency.

I guess I am different, but I would like to avoid menopause for as long as possible, for several reasons, none of which I have any control over, so life goes on.

BFG
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 24, 2012 6:58 am      Reply with quote
Having had a hysterectomy in 2004 but left with one ovary, the blood work still showed normal levels at that time. Slowly but surely, I knew I had been peri but it wasn't officially confirmed until I had blood work drawn this year. Now that I am on the low dose estragen, it has been such a relief. Although I don't miss the period, I did hate the skin and weight changes that came with it. Your doctor would be a good person to confirm and maybe even do a blood test to check your levels.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 24, 2012 7:07 am      Reply with quote
It is always so individual, I at 58 still don't have the "typical" changes and know other women who are the same. Than others go through hell with the whole thing!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 24, 2012 8:37 am      Reply with quote
For the last year I've all of a sudden had the surprise extra period, no period, ect. So here it comes Confused ! But just when I accept its wango, it goes normal Rolling Eyes ! Other than period changing, I have no other issues, at least yet. Prior to all this, I could set my clock by my periods, now I have to rely on "that feeling". I too am 49.5!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 24, 2012 8:41 am      Reply with quote
Tiny wrote:
For the last year I've all of a sudden had the surprise extra period, no period, ect. So here it comes Confused ! But just when I accept its wango, it goes normal Rolling Eyes ! Other than period changing, I have no other issues, at least yet. Prior to all this, I could set my clock by my periods, now I have to rely on "that feeling". I too am 49.5!

I have two other friends your age and both are going through the same thing!
Then two others are having some mild symptoms along with the crazy cycle! Shock

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 24, 2012 8:46 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
Tiny wrote:

I have two other friends your age and both are going through the same thing!
Then two others are having some mild symptoms along with the crazy cycle! Shock

One symptom I forgot to add:

I am normally always freezing, restaurants I wear a wrap in, well NOT anymore, while I am not hot, I am very comfortable in colder places now. That's a huge change. I do not have night sweats or heat flashes, just very comfortable in sleeveless now Laughing
sandooch
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 24, 2012 8:54 am      Reply with quote
Good to hear that you all didn't or are not getting those darn hot flashes. Back in my manicurist days, I had one client that would get them once in a while when I did her nails. Lordy! You would have tought she was going to faint the way it suddenly came on. She really scared me for what I might be going through in 30 years. But, so far, so good! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 24, 2012 12:41 pm      Reply with quote
sandooch wrote:
Good to hear that you all didn't or are not getting those darn hot flashes. Back in my manicurist days, I had one client that would get them once in a while when I did her nails. Lordy! You would have tought she was going to faint the way it suddenly came on. She really scared me for what I might be going through in 30 years. But, so far, so good! Smile

Oh I've seen them on others as well, not very pretty, I must say! I am grateful I am just feeling normal in a/c rather than feel like a burning inferno on the inside Embarassed
Omega

Thu May 24, 2012 9:51 pm      Reply with quote
Oh so glad sandooch started this topic 'cause I have questions too! My aunt and grandmother both hit menopause around 50, neither of them had their tubes tied, and my aunt experienced no symptoms (not sure about grandma). My sister and mother, who both had their tubes tied, were in their early 40's when they started experiencing symptoms and hit menopause at 45/46. I am now in my mid 40's, never had my tubes tied, still have regular periods, and no symptoms.

So my question is, does having your tubes tied expedite menopause? Once you hit menopause was there a noticeable change in your appearance? Hope the questions don't detract from the topic.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 24, 2012 11:04 pm      Reply with quote
Omega wrote:
Oh so glad sandooch started this topic 'cause I have questions too! My aunt and grandmother both hit menopause around 50, neither of them had their tubes tied, and my aunt experienced no symptoms (not sure about grandma). My sister and mother, who both had their tubes tied, were in their early 40's when they started experiencing symptoms and hit menopause at 45/46. I am now in my mid 40's, never had my tubes tied, still have regular periods, and no symptoms.

So my question is, does having your tubes tied expedite menopause? Once you hit menopause was there a noticeable change in your appearance? Hope the questions don't detract from the
topic

I never had my tubes tied, but as I said my only symptom was less and less frequent periods, then one major and done!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 25, 2012 7:53 am      Reply with quote
Tiny wrote:
sandooch wrote:

Oh I've seen them on others as well, not very pretty, I must say! I am grateful I am just feeling normal in a/c rather than feel like a burning inferno on the inside Embarassed

The hot flashes are horrible, as well as what I call the "weird head feeling". I had a bout of night sweats for probably 1 solid month and that was no fun either. I am not enjoying any of this to be honest with you!
Lotusesther
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 25, 2012 9:51 am      Reply with quote
I second that so totally. Waking up nights with hot flushes, brain fog, it's no fun at all. I started to use bcp again, that really helped. Amazing what out of whack hormones can do to your system, in the most unexpected ways.
Tiny
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 25, 2012 9:56 am      Reply with quote
Lotusesther wrote:
I second that so totally. Waking up nights with hot flushes, brain fog, it's no fun at all. I started to use bcp again, that really helped. Amazing what out of whack hormones can do to your system, in the most unexpected ways.

I never realised I could blame my brain fog on this Laughing !! Of course most who know will never believe me. I can't remember much of anything, much less why the hell I just walked from the kitchen to the den for!!!
sandooch
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 25, 2012 5:00 pm      Reply with quote
Oh, if brain fog is one of the symptoms, add that to my list then. I also notice I make 10 times more typos than I used to just 2 years ago. Crying or Very sad

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 25, 2012 5:13 pm      Reply with quote
Lotusesther wrote:
Amazing what out of whack hormones can do to your system, in the most unexpected ways.

It really is amazing what they can do. I just hope that once we hit the menopause it all evens out again.
Tiny
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 25, 2012 5:18 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Lotusesther wrote:
Amazing what out of whack hormones can do to your system, in the most unexpected ways.

It really is amazing what they can do. I just hope that once we hit the menopause it all evens out again.

Perhaps we won't remember from one day to the next and then it won't matter Laughing
Omega

Fri May 25, 2012 10:47 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:

I never had my tubes tied, but as I said my only symptom was less and less frequent periods, then one major and done!

Darkmoon, are there females in your family that have had their tubes tied and experienced menopause earlier than 40? It's interesting that you didn't experience symptoms, similar to my aunt who never had her tubes tied either.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 25, 2012 10:57 pm      Reply with quote
Omega wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:

Darkmoon, are there females in your family that have had their tubes tied and experienced menopause earlier than 40? It's interesting that you didn't experience symptoms, similar to my aunt who never had her tubes tied either.

Actually no my older cousin is also one that breezed through menopause symptom free!

For different issues my mother did have a hysterectomy around the age of 40 and even with instant menopause (they did not leave ovaries back then) she did not suffer any side effects after say 2-3 weeks, and never took any hormone replacement.

Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:18 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |