Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)
Please help, my face looks ugh !! :(
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
gentlewish

Thu May 31, 2012 9:10 am      Reply with quote
So after weeks of reading around the forum, I am finally writing in to seek some help from you all. I have been trying to put together a good AM and PM routine for my skin but I am sooo confused… Confused what to type of products to use, which brands, when etc etc… so here goes….. Embarassed
I have normal to dry skin, sensitive skin and have never used any of the treatments, vit c, retin, CP etc…only moisturizers. But now after hitting 30s I see a lot of damage to my skin. I don’t have wrinkles, except for maybe a couple of lines around my eye area when I smile (which I hate, so does everyone else). Neither have I ever faced problems with acne in the past. But since last year, after my daughter’s birth, I’ve been getting some random zits/small pimples on my cheeks and the marks take months on end to fade. My skin is not smooth like it used to be with bumps under the skin, plus some discoloration around my mouth, which I notice darken when the weather changes. My hair is a different story altogether!
After reading about Retin, Renove etc, I ordered a retinol lotion to kick off things…poetry in lotion from dermadoctor (don’t know how good/bad dermadoctor is). I’ve been using it for a month now every other day. This has caused my skin to become very dry with some peeling and redness, which I anticipated when I read about these products.
I would like help from you w.r.t what other products I should use during day/night and which brands are recommended. I understand Vitamin C, Ferulic Acid, Gycolic peels are great but after going through websites of different companies (PSF, Skinbiology, SkinActives, Skinceuticals, Dermadoctor, Obagi …. There are sooooo many…I am so darn confused which/what I should go with and what I should not use before/after certain product. Please please please help! I need it desperately, my face has gone bonkers !!! Mad Sad

Look forward to hearking from you experienced folks soon...
Lotusesther
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 31, 2012 9:22 am      Reply with quote
Don't panic! The good news is, that most of your trouble is probably the hormone aftermath of pregnancy and it takes at least a year for things to get back to normal, so especially the zit thing will probably go away in time.

There are lots of others here who can help you with finding products. Don't get too agressive all of a sudden with your skin, as you have discovered with the retinol some products take time for your skin to get used to and dryness will only add to your problems.

Good luck! You have come to the right place here, soon you'll be radiant again!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 31, 2012 9:31 am      Reply with quote
Lotusesther wrote:
Don't panic! The good news is, that most of your trouble is probably the hormone aftermath of pregnancy and it takes at least a year for things to get back to normal, so especially the zit thing will probably go away in time.

There are lots of others here who can help you with finding products. Don't get too agressive all of a sudden with your skin, as you have discovered with the retinol some products take time for your skin to get used to and dryness will only add to your problems.

Good luck! You have come to the right place here, soon you'll be radiant again!

Totally agree with Lotusesther!

Maybe just add in a very simple yet effective moisturizer with cerimides, CereVe would be a good choice that won't break the bank!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 31, 2012 1:01 pm      Reply with quote
I would stick with the Retinol but maybe cut back to 2X a week since you're experiencing some dryness and irritation. Gradually increase to every other night or nightly as you adjust.

After you have adjusted to the Retinol you could incorporate a Vit.C/antioxident serum into your regime. Skin Actives has a ready made C serum now and an antioxident serum called CHAS which has really good ingredients. Both are very inexpensive.

A barrier repair moisturizer such as DarkMoon mentioned would be a good choice or NIA Skin Strenghtening Complex is another good one. It usually takes some trial & error though to find products that are suitable for your own particular concerns. Also, don't forget to use a sunscreen of at least 30 spf.
Alexya
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 31, 2012 5:34 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with other posters that a lot of it may be hormones. However, one thing that I really like is using a topical C serum. It gives you extra protection from damage when worn under your sunscreen and will help lighten spots when the right strength is used consistently. Also, try to avoid chemical sunscreens. Congratulations on your baby, that is a huge change in your life!
gentlewish

Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:58 am      Reply with quote
Thank you so much. I really want to be as patient with my skin as possible therefore not rushing into things. I would like to add a vit c/ other antioxident and maybe also cp once my skin is more calm. Since I currently live in Shanghai and will be travelling out of the country for 2-3 months starting July, I wanted to order some of these great products in time for them to reach me before I begin travelling. Hopefully, by then my skin would be better to incorporate these into a simple routine. Could you please recommend what strenght Vit C I should begin with? And also if I should also invest in products such as Dermalogica microfoliant or exfol serum from SkinSignals or SkinBio?
Where do you recommend I order these from since I want to order them from one website to save on shipping cost?!

Sorry for asking so many questions .... Sad

much love, gentlewish
miss mei
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:46 am      Reply with quote
Are you breast feeding? If you're meant to avoid vitamin A creams if you are.
Sounds like melasma and other hormonal skin changes. It should pass with time. Perhaps look up foods that help excess osteogen detox like broccoli but don't do a detox program if you are breast feeding as the toxins go into breast milk. Not for baby Neutral
Other than that, love your skin. Be gentle with it as drying it out and being harsh to it will just add to the redness and discoloration.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:50 am      Reply with quote
If your skin tends to be dry and sensitive IMO the most important thing is to get your skin barrier in great shape and your skin as hydrated as possible, THEN choose anti-ageing actives that are proven to be effective but are not irritant or low irritant. If your skin is dry and peeling your product is causing irritation/ inflammation that is actually damaging long term. Acne can also be a sign the skin's barrier function is compromised, marks after pimples (post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation) can also be a sign the body/ skin is under stress. Sad

Presumably your sleep patterns are disturbed - which stresses the body out but can't be helped - but are you managing to consistently eat a low glycaemic index, anti-inflammatory wholefoods diet and get your 10,000 steps each day? This can reduce stress, cut underlying inflammation, speed healing, increase skin hydration and lower sensitivity.

Are you using a high factor zinc oxide sunscreen? This can help control acne bacteria as well as protecting your skin from UV damage. And are your cleansing and exfoliating methods hydrating and gentle? Agree with DarkMoon that it would be worth 'supplementing' the skin's natural lipids and humectants - CeraVe cream or a moisturiser containing lanolin, lecithin or shea butter if you prefer natural.

Rather than retinol, daily AHAs, copper peptides and the acid form of vitamin C ALL of which are quite harsh, you might consider starting out with a KinNiaNag serum. The actives are proven to be effective in acne ageing AND hyperpigmentation, the formula is gentle enough for use even in rosacea.
http://www.skincaretalk.com/a/kinnianag-kinetin-b3-nag-antiaging-anti-acne-serum
If you really wish to use vitamin C - which needs to be at a highly acidic pH of around 2.8 - you might start with a gentler form than L-ascorbic acid such as MAP (magnesium ascorbyl phosphate) or AA2G. Have you had your family doctor or dermatologist look at the darkening around your mouth? This might be melasma/ chloasma which is relatively common with pregnancy. Confused

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:34 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |