Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Futurederm
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:55 am      Reply with quote
So, it looks as if Nikki is going the way of Truth in Aging/Marta and will be opening her own online store.

We’re Hiring!

FutureDerm, Inc. has started to hire – we’re now a start-up company, expanding the blog into an online store with scores of beauty products and releasing our first product later this summer. So I’ve been quite busy searching for the right people for our team. (So far, we have three full-time employees including myself, nine writers, and several advisors/mentors). The problem is not that there is a shortage of talent. There’s always talent. The problem is that I’m looking for someone who “gets it” – our vision, our passion, our desire to become the Apple of the beauty world. (Yes, I said it. In public. So now we have to do it!) Smile

I’m looking for real movers and shakers to be coders, writers, and general interns. We’re moving into an office on June 12 in the South Side of Pittsburgh, and it’s go time. If you’re interested, please drop me a line at nicki[at]futurederm[dot]com, or sign up for The Resumator and search for “FutureDerm, Inc.” to formally apply for our coding positions.

http://www.futurederm.com/2012/06/01/follow-friday-nickis-personal-updates/
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:11 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
So, it looks as if Nikki is going the way of Truth in Aging/Marta and will be opening her own online store.

We’re Hiring!

FutureDerm, Inc. has started to hire – we’re now a start-up company, expanding the blog into an online store with scores of beauty products and releasing our first product later this summer. So I’ve been quite busy searching for the right people for our team. (So far, we have three full-time employees including myself, nine writers, and several advisors/mentors). The problem is not that there is a shortage of talent. There’s always talent. The problem is that I’m looking for someone who “gets it” – our vision, our passion, our desire to become the Apple of the beauty world. (Yes, I said it. In public. So now we have to do it!) Smile

I’m looking for real movers and shakers to be coders, writers, and general interns. We’re moving into an office on June 12 in the South Side of Pittsburgh, and it’s go time. If you’re interested, please drop me a line at nicki[at]futurederm[dot]com, or sign up for The Resumator and search for “FutureDerm, Inc.” to formally apply for our coding positions.

http://www.futurederm.com/2012/06/01/follow-friday-nickis-personal-updates/

OMG. All I can say is I feel like singing "Another One Bites The Dust" Shock

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:12 am      Reply with quote
While this may be great for her, it definitely creates bias from a review standpoint....which is the same with any reviewer selling product.

Just one less independent resource to rely on, sigh.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:19 am      Reply with quote
Money seems to talk! Confused Oh well at least we know she has a few ponies in the race now.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:21 am      Reply with quote
I think there is a little bit of erroneous info on her site, but I was reading this morning. She seems to not be consistent on her thoughts, either. She doesn't like a PTR product due to the "retinoid" in it, but she is ok with AnteAGE even though it has a "retinoid" in it, and they are both meant to be used in the morning!

She says this about PTR product: The truth of the matter is, I can’t get used to the idea that retinol should be used during the day. It is well-established in the dermatological community that retinoids increase your sensitivity to the sun, with everyone from Dr. Perricone to the good folks at LIVESTRONG and MedScape agreeing retinol increases photosensitivity. This is because retinoids slough off the top layer of skin, increasing its reflective surface area. If this doesn’t make sense to you at first, think of how tanning oil works – more reflection! (Science Update, 2010).

Although a study in Clinics in Dermatology found over-the-counter retinol is 20 times weaker than prescription retinoids (e.g., tretinoin), retinol is still enough of a concern where I will not use it during the day. And while Peter Thomas Roth Retinol Fusion AM Moisturizer SPF 30 does contain its own sunscreen, I’m a little leery of using it.

And this about AnteAGE: My only caveat? As with any product with retinol, some individuals are more sensitive and may require a period of adjustment. I’ve been using retinoids for years, so I was fine.
DragoN
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:35 am      Reply with quote
Cosmeceuticals or CosmePSEUDOcals: Examining the FDA’s Under-sight of Celebrity Dermatologists in the Cosmeceuticals Industry
Read that one Bethany....

Quote:

Tell me about it.
I am totally biased.

Pubmed
Sciencedirect
Journal of Investigative Dermatology
Nature
Elsevier
Blackwell
Wiley
...the list goes on...

If you make, first do no harm, your Law, you will never strike the first blow and will be known as a man of peace who can fight like ten tigers, a Human in the act of Being. There is no greater rank than this. Ashida Kim on War.~Cellese~AnteAge Serum and Accelerator, DermaRoller ,MyFawnie AA2G serum, KNN G ForceUltrasound., SEA, ChrySun 25% ZnO
Tiny
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:45 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
While this may be great for her, it definitely creates bias from a review standpoint....which is the same with any reviewer selling product.

Seems everytime I find one, its not, very good point Exclamation
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:46 am      Reply with quote
DragoN wrote:
Cosmeceuticals or CosmePSEUDOcals: Examining the FDA’s Under-sight of Celebrity Dermatologists in the Cosmeceuticals Industry

Yowza...that was quite an article! I will have to look into how Dr. Perricone reacted, lol.

I loved this comment:

Quote:
Unfortunately, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the agency that administrates the requirements of the Food, Drug, and Cosmetics Act of 1906, does not actively review the inflated claims of cosmeceutical manufacturers. Recognizing this loophole in FDA regulation, cosmetics companies have employed dermatologists to legitimize their overstated claims before consumers. Consumers, in turn, rely on the recommendations of these medical professional in paying upwards of $25 to $400 per bottle to cosmeceutical companies.

DragoN wrote:

I am totally biased.

Pubmed
Sciencedirect
Journal of Investigative Dermatology
Nature
Elsevier
Blackwell
Wiley
...the list goes on...

Those are really the only sources you can trust these days, though you still have to watch for studies that are funded by the manufacturer. Confused

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:50 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
Those are really the only sources you can trust these days, though you still have to watch for studies that are funded by the manufacturer. Confused

True.

I always have the other studies.
"Touted as" "claimed to"...no. But then it's stated as "claimed / touted"...*pfft* maybe it works, maybe not? SKB...anecdotal. Works for *me* so I will use it anyways.

AND...the CPs, they are quite interesting for healing and other uses. Perhaps not the Fountain of Youth in a Cheap Plastic Bottle per se, but not without merit in some areas.

If you make, first do no harm, your Law, you will never strike the first blow and will be known as a man of peace who can fight like ten tigers, a Human in the act of Being. There is no greater rank than this. Ashida Kim on War.~Cellese~AnteAge Serum and Accelerator, DermaRoller ,MyFawnie AA2G serum, KNN G ForceUltrasound., SEA, ChrySun 25% ZnO
DrJ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:17 pm      Reply with quote
IMHO: everyone has biases. Some are just more open about it than others. Even academics have all sorts of undisclosed "conflicts of interest" when you look closely. There is pressure to publish. But negative results rarely get published. It's called publication bias. Therefore - most studies have positive results (gee, any wonder?).

Then there are patents. Academics can share in patent royalties. But the value of a patent (if any) will depend on the results. Nobody patents their failures. Therefore, there are few failures.

Reviewers are biased. Of course. They are biased by their experience and training (or lack of same)if nothing else. They are biased by who their friends are (well known phenomenon).

Commenters in this forum are biased. For all sorts of reasons. But (DragoN excepted) you rarely see them talking about their own biases. Funny thing about bias - easy to see in someone else, less so in yourself?

Let's just start with the explicit assumption everyone has biases. Knowing that, how do we keep them (and ourselves) honest?

1. Confess your biases
2. Be willing to challenge your own biases
3. Do your best to argue from the evidence, in spite of your own biases.
4. Don't rely on a single source of info.-check stuff out
5. Make sure new discoveries do not violate laws of physics or chemistry or physiology.
6. Respectfully challenge anything that doesn't make sense or requires more info.
7. If all else fails, just believe what I tell you and stop asking so many questions Shock (just kidding! - see #6 above)

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:25 pm      Reply with quote
My bias money talks BS walks! Enough said!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:50 pm      Reply with quote
DrJ wrote:
But (DragoN excepted) you rarely see them talking about their own biases. Funny thing about bias - easy to see in someone else, less so in yourself?

Yes, we all have biases. You make some good points. However, I believe you DO see a lot of us talk about our own biases. Many of us talk about A and C repeatedly. I think people can tell when someone is always talking about a certain ingredient that they have a bias toward it? Why do we have to declare it (since it is obvious), especially since we are just people who use products and are not selling anything.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:53 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
DrJ wrote:
But (DragoN excepted) you rarely see them talking about their own biases. Funny thing about bias - easy to see in someone else, less so in yourself?

Yes, we all have biases. You make some good points. However, I believe you DO see a lot of us talk about our own biases. Many of us talk about A and C repeatedly. I think people can tell when someone is always talking about a certain ingredient that they have a bias toward it? Why do we have to declare it (since it is obvious), especially since we are just people who use products and are not selling anything.

And when sellers pose as people who just use products, we usually figure that out pretty quickly, lol.

I do agree that EDS forum members have some bias, but I also agree with Riley that it is pretty clear who are the biased or unbiased parties, and which direction they lead.

I also agree with Dr. J that reviewers are biased by certain things as well. However, it is up to us as consumers to assess that and determine the level of impact to us personally (I unsubscribed from TIA when she started selling).

But it is disappointing to see resources that some people have relied on in the past disappear...even if it may be a great move for that person.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:35 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
rileygirl wrote:
DrJ wrote:

And when sellers pose as people who just use products, we usually figure that out pretty quickly, lol.

I do agree that EDS forum members have some bias, but I also agree with Riley that it is pretty clear who are the biased or unbiased parties, and which direction they lead.

I also agree with Dr. J that reviewers are biased by certain things as well. However, it is up to us as consumers to assess that and determine the level of impact to us personally (I unsubscribed from TIA when she started selling).

But it is disappointing to see resources that some people have relied on in the past disappear...even if it may be a great move for that person.

Good points all of you. How about this -- a review site that is supported by reader contributions, something like PBS (before they began allowing commercials that they clumsily try to disguise as public service messages). We can start a pledge drive right here.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:02 pm      Reply with quote
DrJ wrote:
Good points all of you. How about this -- a review site that is supported by reader contributions, something like PBS (before they began allowing commercials that they clumsily try to disguise as public service messages). We can start a pledge drive right here.

I am thinking something more like Consumer Reports (I'm a subscriber), and their backing policies designed to eliminate conflict of interest. The only thing they sell is their opinion.

Quote:
Consumer Reports (CR) is an expert, independent, nonprofit organization whose mission is to work for a fair, just, and safe marketplace for all consumers and to empower consumers to protect themselves. The organization was founded in 1936 when advertising first flooded the mass media. Consumers lacked a reliable source of information they could depend on to help them distinguish hype from fact and good products from bad ones. Since then CR has filled that vacuum with a broad range of consumer information. To maintain its independence and impartiality, CR accepts no outside advertising and no free samples and employs several hundred mystery shoppers and technical experts to buy and test the products it evaluates.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:32 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
DrJ wrote:

I am thinking something more like Consumer Reports (I'm a subscriber), and their backing policies designed to eliminate conflict of interest. The only thing they sell is their opinion.

Quote:
Consumer Reports (CR) is an expert, independent, nonprofit organization whose mission is to work for a fair, just, and safe marketplace for all consumers and to empower consumers to protect themselves. The organization was founded in 1936 when advertising first flooded the mass media. Consumers lacked a reliable source of information they could depend on to help them distinguish hype from fact and good products from bad ones. Since then CR has filled that vacuum with a broad range of consumer information. To maintain its independence and impartiality, CR accepts no outside advertising and no free samples and employs several hundred mystery shoppers and technical experts to buy and test the products it evaluates.

What would you be willing to pay as a subscription? Who is going to finance this organization, in order to pay the employees, overhead, etc. until there are sufficient revenues? Will there ever be a break even, let along a profit? As the sharks say, I'm out!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:00 pm      Reply with quote
DrJ wrote:
bethany wrote:
DrJ wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

What would you be willing to pay as a subscription? Who is going to finance this organization, in order to pay the employees, overhead, etc. until there are sufficient revenues? Will there ever be a break even, let along a profit? As the sharks say, I'm out!

Consumer Reports has been quite successful, but skincare is a subset market for them and their occasional beauty products publication leaves a lot to be desired.

From their website:

Quote:
The organization generates more than $200 million in revenue, and a staff totaling more than 600 work at CR's 50 state-of-the-art labs and offices in Yonkers, N.Y.; its 327-acre Auto Test Center in East Haddam, Conn.; and our three advocacy offices, in Washington, D.C., Austin, Texas, and San Francisco. Consumer Reports is governed by a board of 18 directors who are elected by CU members and meet three times a year.

Consumer Reports is a member of Consumers International, a federation of more than 220 consumer organizations from over 115 countries working to protect and empower consumers throughout the world.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/aboutus/mission/overview/index.htm

From their financial report:

Quote:
More than 450,000 individuals contributed upward of $17 million to support Consumer Reports’ dedication to changing the marketplace through public information and advocacy.

Those funds provide the resources necessary to address critical issues that affect the quality of life and safety of consumers across the country and around the world.

Contributions to the Consumer Reports Foundation go directly to underwriting our product purchasing, testing, and research, and to programs that support our mission, including public education, public safety, and consumer protection.

All contributions are accepted under a strict ethical code. We ensure that no commercial conflicts of interest taint our work.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/resources/streaming/PDFs/CU_2011AR.pdf

But is it a money maker at an individual level? No...donations/profits are pumped back into the company.

Would I consider subscribing to a beauty based newsletter? Yes, provided it 1) summarized all new clinical studies, and 2) provided unbiased reviews from experts with no conflicts of interest.

Though I actually look at #2 as being optional....I would personally LOVE to see a monthly newsletter summarizing clinical studies for me, and providing access to the complete study if I wanted to read more. (I work crazy hours, and just don't have the time to keep up with finding all the new studies on the web).

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:19 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
Would I consider subscribing to a beauty based newsletter? Yes, provided it 1) summarized all new clinical studies, and 2) provided unbiased reviews from experts with no conflicts of interest.

Though I actually look at #2 as being optional....I would personally LOVE to see a monthly newsletter summarizing clinical studies for me, and providing access to the complete study if I wanted to read more. (I work crazy hours, and just don't have the time to keep up with finding all the new studies on the web).

Summarizing the research is not that hard. Could hire a student to do that. Maybe with some volunteers, such a thing could be put together at minimal cost. Make it a non-profit. OK, I'm back in.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:31 pm      Reply with quote
DrJ wrote:
Summarizing the research is not that hard. Could hire a student to do that. Maybe with some volunteers, such a thing could be put together at minimal cost. Make it a non-profit. OK, I'm back in.

Sign me up! I will say that this would warrant a higher cost subscription fee since the audience would be smaller due to highly focused interests.

It could be delivered in an email newsletter format, but it would need to be a bit more dressed up to warrant a decent subscription price. Bias alert: as a Digital Marketer with top brand email clients, I have a bias for professional looking communications...no text based emails that look like I sent them from my home computer (ala Rockey).

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:43 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
DrJ wrote:

Sign me up! I will say that this would warrant a higher cost subscription fee since the audience would be smaller due to highly focused interests.

It could be delivered in an email newsletter format, but it would need to be a bit more dressed up to warrant a decent subscription price. Bias alert: as a Digital Marketer with top brand email clients, I have a bias for professional looking communications...no text based emails that look like I sent them from my home computer (ala Rockey).

Rockey is a geek. Now we have to have the marketing people involved? (moan)

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:45 pm      Reply with quote
Just send me the data. Wink

bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:52 pm      Reply with quote
DragoN wrote:
Just send me the data. Wink

If it is free/cheap I am fine with that. If you want $100+ a year, it better look good.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:05 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
If it is free/cheap I am fine with that. If you want $100+ a year, it better look good.

That's fair.

I am not too fussy though...the DATA the full write up. I don't want it regurgitated. Some really funky interpretations tend to occur.

"XYZ is the BEST for QPR" but read the research, no such thing.

I am more inclined to pool the data...as not all of it, even in the University is available. PITA.

The original/underground information highway...

Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:48 am      Reply with quote
My professional backgrounds are Business and Psych, so I don't qualify, *however* if I was a Science type, I would *jump* to fill the niche.

There is a gaping hole in the skincare market to be filled by someone not financially affiliated with any products, topicals, gadgets or whatever.

I suppose Dr. Todorov may be the closest we have, but it seems for him to be a part time job, lol....

If we had someone ore a group who could translate the science into layman terms and give reasonably unbiased advice, I would subscribe immediately.
You could charge a reasonable price for the service, then just stand back and watch the people flock to it.

BFG
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:01 am      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:

There is a gaping hole in the skincare market to be filled by someone not financially affiliated with any products, topicals, gadgets or whatever.

If we had someone ore a group who could translate the science into layman terms and give reasonably unbiased advice, I would subscribe immediately.

Totally agree. I also would subscribe to something like this, but only if it came from someone not selling anything.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:50 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |