Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
Suggestions for good bases for semi-DIY
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
erg
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:41 am      Reply with quote
I love semi-DIY. Many of us take a ready made product and tweak it out with a few ingredients to make it more effective.

Check these out:

Rainwater Botanicals Nourishing Facial Cream with Carrot and Pumpkin Ingredients: Distilled Water, Organic Aloe, Vegetable Emulsifying Wax, Organic Geranium Water, Organic Rose Water, Organic Lavender Water, Wild Shea Butter, Organic Helichrysum Extract, Organic Pumpkin Seed Oil, Vegetable glycerin, Organic Plum Oil, Pomegranate Oil, Aspen Bark Extract(natural preservative), Carrot Seed Oil, Olive Squalane, Rosemary Extract, Lactic Acid, Essential Oils of Rose, Carrot, and Helichrysum, Organic MSM(organic sulfur compound)

Garden of Wisdon Enhanced Calendula Cream Ingredients: Liposome Base (soy based), Calendula Hydrosol, Calendula Blossom Extract, Hyaluronic Acid, Tamarind Fermentation, Calendula Infused Oil, Sunflower Oil, Ceremides

What bases do you guys use?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:52 am      Reply with quote
I use Active formulas base cream, or their european cream.

I also sometimes use Forever Livings Aloe gel

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:54 am      Reply with quote
10Sylvia5 wrote:
I use Active formulas base cream, or their european cream.

I also sometimes use Forever Livings Aloe gel

Ahhh... yes.. Aloe! I just add some niacinamide (5%) in it and call it a day!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:07 pm      Reply with quote
Ha
I never thought of that Rolling Eyes

The more I learn here the less I find I know Wink

Do you think by the time Im finished, I might actually know what I Think I know now Question

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:27 pm      Reply with quote
I have not much time, starving and must feed me.

Must add Kassy's CeraVe and the Juice Beauty serums.
Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:44 pm      Reply with quote
I was using ready made base creams but recently I made it from scratch and loving it and it's so easy:

Olivem 1000 ( Emulsifier and thickener): 1.5 to 3 %.. I used 2%... It's a very good emulsifier!

Oils: 25%

Rest is water and preservative.

Add Olivem 1000 to oil and heat is slowly till it melts, heat the water and mix em together and blend with a mini blender and here is your wonderful base cream! Add preservative and actives after cool down.
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:57 pm      Reply with quote
erg wrote:

Rainwater Botanicals Nourishing Facial Cream with Carrot and Pumpkin Ingredients: Distilled Water, Organic Aloe, Vegetable Emulsifying Wax, Organic Geranium Water, Organic Rose Water, Organic Lavender Water, Wild Shea Butter, Organic Helichrysum Extract, Organic Pumpkin Seed Oil, Vegetable glycerin, Organic Plum Oil, Pomegranate Oil, Aspen Bark Extract(natural preservative), Carrot Seed Oil, Olive Squalane, Rosemary Extract, Lactic Acid, Essential Oils of Rose, Carrot, and Helichrysum, Organic MSM(organic sulfur compound)

This one looks really good. I love Helichrysum. Have you used this? What have you added to it?
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:09 pm      Reply with quote
Its easy to make your own DIY base rather than a ready-made one with loads of crap in it like emulsifying wax, etc.

I use Sea Emollient, Sclerotium gum, a little oil and some polysorbate 80 and water.
Just dissolve the water soluble actives in the water phase, the oil soluble ones in the oil phase, blend together and add some polysorbate 80 and preservative if you like. Its actually easy - not rocket science at all!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:14 pm      Reply with quote
This might be a nice one that could be added to:

Niacinamide Serum

This very light serum absorbs quickly into skin, while supplying it with 5% Niacinamide (Vitamin B3). It uses a brand new emulsifying system (Cetearyl Olivate, Sorbitan Olivate, Cetyl Palmitate and Palm Stearic Acid) that is accepted and approved as natural. The emulsifying and the organic preservative system conforms with the Whole Food Premium list, are rated as safe across all databases and the CIR panel, and are approved for use in products certified by the Natural Products Association (NPA) and NSF that are made with the organic standard.

Ecocert, as well, has declared that the emulsifiers conform to ecological and organic cosmetic standards. The emulsifiers are Ecocert-certified as natural due to their natural origin and minimally invasive processing. The emulsifiers are of vegetable origin and are certified BSE-free and solvent-free.
Skin Types: Mature - Oily - Dry – Combination – Blemished

Organic Content: Yes

pH: 4.5 – 5.5

Directions for usage: Moisturize your face and neck with serum every morning and/or night, after you cleanse and tone. Always moisturize your face and neck in upward motions. Moisturizing is important for all skin types. In every step of skin care, always use circular, upward motions with a gentle touch on your face. Don't help gravity by tugging down on your skin, and remember that the skin on your face, especially around the eyes, is very delicate.

Ingredients/Tech Specs:
Aloe barbadensis (Organic Aloe Vera) Juice, Vegetable Glycerin, Niacinamide (Vitamin B3), Simmondsia chinensis (Organic Jojoba) Oil, Cetearyl Olivate, Sorbitan Olivate, Cetyl Palmitate, Sorbitan Palmitate, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Sorbic Acid, Sodium Hyaluronate (Hyaluronic Acid), Xanthan Gum (Polysaccharide Gum), Citric Acid

http://www.essentialwholesale.com/Niacinamide-Serum_15

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:19 pm      Reply with quote
And a cream:

Essential Certified Creme

The Essential Certified Creme uses a brand new emulsifying system (Cetearyl Olivate, Sorbitan Olivate, Cetyl Palmitate and Palm Stearic Acid) that is accepted and approved natural. The emulsifying and the organic preservative system conforms with the Whole Food Premium list, are across all databases and the CIR panel rated as safe, and are approved for use in products certified by the on the Natural Products Association (NPA) and NSF made with organic standard.

Ecocert has declared that the emulsifiers conform according to ecological and organic cosmetic standards. The emulsifiers are Ecocert certified as natural due to their natural origin and minimally invasive processing. The emulsifiers of vegetable origin and certified BSE-free and solvent free.
Skin Types: Mature - Dry - Normal - Oily - Combination
Organic Content: 91%
pH: 4.5 - 5.5

Ingredients/Tech Specs:
Aloe barbadensis (Organic Aloe) Juice, Cocos nucifera (Organic Coconut) Oil, Camellia sinensis (Organic Green Tea) Extract, Cetearyl Olivate, Sorbitan Olivate, Cetyl Palmitate, Sorbitan Palmitate, Olea europaea (Organic Olive) Oil, Palm Stearic Acid, Xanthan Gum (Polysaccharide Gum)

http://www.essentialwholesale.com/Essential_Certified_Creme3

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:23 pm      Reply with quote
A lot of serum bases here:

http://www.essentialwholesale.com/s.nl/sc.9/category.10804/.f

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:30 pm      Reply with quote
I prefer Daler's and Fawnie's approach. Far better serum or lotion in the end with out grits and bits that are not sufficiently incorporated into the 'base'. Requires the same amount of time anyways.

Distilled Water, Aloe barbadensis (Organic Aloe) Juice, Rice bran oil(Oryza sativa),Organic virgin coconut oil(Cocos nucifera), vegetable glycerin, Cetostearyl alcohol, and Ethoxylated Sorbitan Ester(emulsifying wax), Stearic acid, Gluconolactone (and) Sodium Benzoate, vanilla absolute, natural vanillin and refractionated coconut oil,Theobroma cacao organic (Cocoa) seed butter, Organic rooibos(Aqua, Organic Alcohol, Organic Aspalathus linearis (Rooibos) Extract), Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) Fruit , Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Sodium Hyaluronate, MSM Dimethyl Sulfone (DMSO), Citrus Aurantium Bergamia (Bergamot) Fruit Oil , Limnanthes Alba (Meadowfoam) Seed Oil , Cannabis Sativa Seed Oil , Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract , lCitrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Peel Oil, Frankincense Oil Olibanum,Xanthan Gum .
http://www.etsy.com/listing/88513672/body-lotion-8oz-natural-vegan

However that one..is really nice.

If you make, first do no harm, your Law, you will never strike the first blow and will be known as a man of peace who can fight like ten tigers, a Human in the act of Being. There is no greater rank than this. Ashida Kim on War.~Cellese~AnteAge Serum and Accelerator, DermaRoller ,MyFawnie AA2G serum, KNN G ForceUltrasound., SEA, ChrySun 25% ZnO
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:43 pm      Reply with quote
There is a DIY section for any and all who wish to share an ACTUAL RECIPE, just add and hit report ask Havana to please add your recipe to the index it can be found right here:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=6

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:13 pm      Reply with quote
Hmmmm Let's see:

Water or hydrosol, aloe, algae extracts, HA1% 60-70%
Emulsifying wax 8-10% [ depends on consistency desired]
Oils whatever you like or butters melted into your oils ~ 40-30%
Preservative 1% depends what you are using.

#1. Melt wax into oils.
#2. Add water to oils and wax
#3. Add preservative.

Done.

If you make, first do no harm, your Law, you will never strike the first blow and will be known as a man of peace who can fight like ten tigers, a Human in the act of Being. There is no greater rank than this. Ashida Kim on War.~Cellese~AnteAge Serum and Accelerator, DermaRoller ,MyFawnie AA2G serum, KNN G ForceUltrasound., SEA, ChrySun 25% ZnO
erg
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:56 am      Reply with quote
Yes, I am sure that it is easy to make but some people do not want to make a base - and prefer a *good* pre-base as a starting point. Hence, the topic of the thread.

For example, the bases in my first post have a lot of great oils and extracts. I am not in a position where I want to purchase all the individual ingredients that is needed to recreate it.

So, let's post DIY bases in another thread.
Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:45 am      Reply with quote
A lot of the brands named here are impossible for me to find where I live.
So I solved the semi-DIY problem by looking for a cream or lotion, any brand, house brands are often quite OK, that have an ingredient I like and cannot DIY. Like right now my moisterizer has hydroxyproline in it, it was quite high in the ingredient list (above the glycerine) and I added my own goodies to that.
10Sylvia5
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:01 am      Reply with quote
ERG
You are soo right. I just dont have the time, nor the proper tools (and yes they probably are easy to get hold of) to start from scratch.

With two children, two puppies, and one geriatric dog ( and a DH who is away half the time) I just about have my own time to do Kassy"S wonderful serum (C E and ferulic) and that is about at 1am

Rolling Eyes

And sometimes I dont even have the energy or the inclination Rolling Eyes Wink

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:05 am      Reply with quote
Exactly 10Sylvia5!
I just want good starting point and add actives to suit.

On the dermarolling thread, I posted that I am thinking of using Skin Actives Antioxidant Booster and add in some A and C for post rolling.

That is the kind of DIY I have time for!

I'd love to hear of any other good pre-made bases out there! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:08 am      Reply with quote
10Sylvia5 wrote:
ERG
You are soo right. I just dont have the time, nor the proper tools (and yes they probably are easy to get hold of) to start from scratch.

With two children, two puppies, and one geriatric dog ( and a DH who is away half the time) I just about have my own time to do Kassy"S wonderful serum (C E and ferulic) and that is about at 1am

Rolling Eyes

And sometimes I dont even have the energy or the inclination Rolling Eyes Wink

Yes erg is correct Sylvia,

Boy can I relate to those days although long past now, but 4 kids 5th was hubby, 2-4 dogs at any given time, cats....ect. ect. who has the time or energy? Laughing

We won't talk about the litter of 13 puppies! Bad Grin Bad Grin

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:04 am      Reply with quote
erg wrote:
Exactly 10Sylvia5!

On the dermarolling thread, I posted that I am thinking of using Skin Actives Antioxidant Booster and add in some A and C for post rolling.

Canvas base of skinactives is good, it contains lots of solvent so you can add quite a bit of actives in it....
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:25 pm      Reply with quote
DragoN wrote:
I prefer Daler's and Fawnie's approach. Far better serum or lotion in the end with out grits and bits that are not sufficiently incorporated into the 'base'. Requires the same amount of time anyways.

Distilled Water, Aloe barbadensis (Organic Aloe) Juice, Rice bran oil(Oryza sativa),Organic virgin coconut oil(Cocos nucifera), vegetable glycerin, Cetostearyl alcohol, and Ethoxylated Sorbitan Ester(emulsifying wax), Stearic acid, Gluconolactone (and) Sodium Benzoate, vanilla absolute, natural vanillin and refractionated coconut oil,Theobroma cacao organic (Cocoa) seed butter, Organic rooibos(Aqua, Organic Alcohol, Organic Aspalathus linearis (Rooibos) Extract), Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) Fruit , Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Sodium Hyaluronate, MSM Dimethyl Sulfone (DMSO), Citrus Aurantium Bergamia (Bergamot) Fruit Oil , Limnanthes Alba (Meadowfoam) Seed Oil , Cannabis Sativa Seed Oil , Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract , lCitrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Peel Oil, Frankincense Oil Olibanum,Xanthan Gum .
http://www.etsy.com/listing/88513672/body-lotion-8oz-natural-vegan

However that one..is really nice.

I like to make my own things instead of ready-made stuff. For instance in that product there are several things I would not use:
rice bran oil (le zits galore)
stearic acid (ditto the zits)
Emulsifying wax (ew)
Shea and cocoa butter (ok on body/not on face)
Bergamot oil (not in a day product cause its photosensitizing unless its the bergapten-free one.

I havent used a ready-made product in years and my skin is less irritable now.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:52 pm      Reply with quote
daler wrote:
erg wrote:
Exactly 10Sylvia5!

Canvas base of skinactives is good, it contains lots of solvent so you can add quite a bit of actives in it....

Glad to have you add that Thanks daler! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:06 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
daler wrote:
erg wrote:
Exactly 10Sylvia5!

Glad to have you add that Thanks daler! Very Happy

canvas base used to be my primary base cream, I used it for couple of years! and it's soo not expensive, $6 for 4 oz! Before that I used atopalm as a base and it was expensive!
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:20 am      Reply with quote
I prefer a pre-made base as well. My kitchen is tiny Laughing

All suggestions appreciated.

BFG
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:15 pm      Reply with quote
Is Cerave PM lotion not good as a base cream?

INGREDIENTS:

PURIFIED WATER
GLYCERIN
CAPRYLIC/CAPRIC TRIGLYCERIDES
NIACINAMIDE
BEHENTRIMONIUM METHOSULFATE AND CETEARYL ALCOHOL
CETEARETH-20 AND CETEARYL ALCOHOL
CERAMIDE 3
CERAMIDE 6-II CERAMIDE 1
PHYTOSPHINGOSINE
HYALURONIC ACID
CHOLESTEROL
DIMETHICONE
POLYGLYCERYL-3 DIISOSTEARATE
POLYGLYCERYL-3 DIISOSTEARATE
DIPOTASSIUM PHOSPHATE
SODIUM LAUROYL LACTYLATE DISODIUM EDTA
METHYLPARABEN
PROPYLPARABEN
CARBOMER
XANTHAN GUM
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:03 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |