Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Tips to combat drying air-conditioning?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
egyptiangoddess
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:49 am      Reply with quote
I sleep in an air-conditioned room now that it's summer, and it's drying out my skin, mouth, eyes, everything! Anyone have any tips or tricks to combat this? I read this article which was helpful:

http://www.mywomenstuff.com/2009/03/03/can-a-glass-of-water-help-with-dry-air-from-air-conditioners/

I'm going to try filling a bucket with water and putting it my room LOL.

Anyone have any other tips/tricks? I know I must not be the only one with this problem in the summertime! hmm
egyptiangoddess
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:46 am      Reply with quote
Well I guess I must be the only one then because no ones responded LOL.

Well for anyone with the same problem, I'm experimenting with a bucket full of water in my room. LMAO. It's not a huge bucket. It's like a 12 cup sort of bucket. I filled it with water and lugged it to my room and wow I gotta say, I woke up feeling a little better! Less dried out everything! lmao.
bullet875
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:45 am      Reply with quote
You could also try spritzing your face with water and sealing it in with a little oil. I use maracuja, but you could use argan, jojoba, coconut, etc.I don't use plain water, though you could. I use a very very mild toner and allpy a couple of drops of oil before my face dries.
HippoMe
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:15 am      Reply with quote
EG, I use a humidifier in my room, no dry skin. On another forum I read how a woman bought an old electric crockpot (slow cooker) for $10 and used this at night. She found that her room was moist but not damp after using it and that the crockpot did not run dry. Her skin benefitted and her hair was no longer static. Hope this helps.
egyptiangoddess
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:43 am      Reply with quote
Thank you bullet!

Wow thanks HippoMe! That's a great idea! Smile
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:54 am      Reply with quote
egyptiangoddess wrote:
Thank you bullet!

Wow thanks HippoMe! That's a great idea! Smile

Just clean a humidifier once in a while with water and white vinegar to kill mold, I used one for my kids as babies in their rooms with both AC and heat that can really dry out their nasal passages!

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:43 am      Reply with quote
Thanks DM. That's what's been happening to me. I've been really sick since hooking up the AC! I don't have a crockpot though so my bucket will have to do for now, I hope!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:13 am      Reply with quote
egyptiangoddess wrote:
Thanks DM. That's what's been happening to me. I've been really sick since hooking up the AC! I don't have a crockpot though so my bucket will have to do for now, I hope!

You may need to either change the filter in your AC unit or take it out and hose it off! Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:15 am      Reply with quote
Sorry, I didn't mean I was sick from mold or the filter. I meant because the AC is so drying.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:22 am      Reply with quote
egyptiangoddess wrote:
Sorry, I didn't mean I was sick from mold or the filter. I meant because the AC is so drying.

Gotcha! Very Happy It is just always a good idea to have a clean AC unit! Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:29 am      Reply with quote
I have to use a humidifier at night, or else I wake up every 3-4 hours to drink water, because the AC is so drying, especially in the winter.
The problem with a humidifier is that everything in my apartment gets covered with a thin white film from the minerals in water, even with a filter Sad

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:34 am      Reply with quote
fitgineer wrote:
I have to use a humidifier at night, or else I wake up every 3-4 hours to drink water, because the AC is so drying, especially in the winter.
The problem with a humidifier is that everything in my apartment gets covered with a thin white film from the minerals in water, even with a filter Sad

I only used distilled water in mine, avoids all the mineral deposits from regular water! Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:36 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
fitgineer wrote:

I only used distilled water in mine, avoids all the mineral deposits from regular water! Smile

Agreed, but if I use it every night, for 8-10 hours at a time, it can get pretty expensive, not to mention all the lugging of the distilled water... Do you have any suggestions? Aside from distilling my own water Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:38 am      Reply with quote
fitgineer wrote:

Evaporated water should not hold minerals - it is effectively distilled. More likely the white film is mineral salts leaching out from your plasterwork/ wall finish (efflorescence) or *possibly* growth of a micro-organism. If this is worse in winter you are using too much water and it is settling on the cold surface of the wall. Long term you can damage the fabric of the building so I'd suggest you use less water and more ventilation.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:40 am      Reply with quote
fitgineer wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
fitgineer wrote:

Agreed, but if I use it every night, for 8-10 hours at a time, it can get pretty expensive, not to mention all the lugging of the distilled water... Do you have any suggestions? Aside from distilling my own water Smile

Sorry not for those in the UK, distilled water is extremely inexpensive in the US! Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:41 am      Reply with quote
Firefox7275 wrote:
fitgineer wrote:

Evaporated water should not hold minerals - it is effectively distilled. More likely the white film is mineral salts leaching out from your plasterwork/ wall finish (efflorescence) or *possibly* growth of a micro-organism. If this is worse in winter you are using too much water and it is settling on the cold surface of the wall. Long term you can damage the fabric of the building so I'd suggest you use less water and more ventilation.

Hmmm... my humidifier is a cool water/mist one... I do not think it evaporates the water. I know the ones that do, do not have the white film side effect. I've only read about the cool mist ones (like mine) that result in the white film.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:42 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
fitgineer wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
fitgineer wrote:

Sorry not for those in the UK, distilled water is extremely inexpensive in the US! Smile

I'm in the US. I guess I need to take a trip to Walmart!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:47 am      Reply with quote
fitgineer wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
fitgineer wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
fitgineer wrote:

I'm in the US. I guess I need to take a trip to Walmart!

I had to use it for my dad's oxygen to prevent drying of the nasal passages when I was caring for him.
I found it in any drug and grocery store right with all the bottled water! Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:06 pm      Reply with quote
Here's the post I found regarding the use of a crockpot as a humidifier. It wasn't on a forum but was in a blog.

"I moved here, to West Texas, 7 months ago. Previously, I had lived in Northern Indiana for 12 years. The humidity in Indiana is very high--especially in the summertime. The air can be so heavy with moisture that you felt like you were breathing through a wet washrag. But it was wonderful for my hair and my skin. Both were always moisturized and smooth.

Since being here, I have noticed that my hair and my skin are very dry. My hair has so much static in it, when brushing it, that it practically stands on end!

I have been pricing humidifiers, for my room, and cannot afford those. They average anywhere from $35 to $60 and even higher than that. I went to Walmart to look at the humidifiers there and found the same high prices. As I was getting ready to leave, I walked past the cookware section and saw a small electric Crockpot for only $10. The light bulb went off over my head. Why not? Why wouldn’t that work?

I bought it, took it home, and put in my room. I filled it with water, set it on “High”, put the lid on it and let it get up to the high heat. They don’t boil, so there was no fear of it boiling dry. When it reached the high point, I took the lid off, then went to bed.

By morning, there was enough humidity in the air that my skin already felt better and I could brush my hair without it flying up into the air. There was still 2 inches of water left in the crockpot. I did have a small fear of it going dry and ruining the crockpot or possibly catching fire but all was well. Another added bonus was that there was no moisture collected on my dresser where it was sitting and humidifiers can cause that--which can make it a chore to keep wiping up the water or keeping a towel under them and possibly ruining the wood.

I use it every night and am very pleased with the results. I can even put scented oil or potpourri in it and have my room smell heavenly!

Great ‘humidifier’ for only 10 bucks!"

Dark Moon, I regularly clean my humidifier or the water in it starts to resemble a swamp!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:10 pm      Reply with quote
LOL. At the swamp! I had a few going with 2 kids 15 months apart, and had to clean them! I was in Florida again Sad and mold is a huge issue anywhere water sits! Shock

HippoMe wrote:
Here's the post I found regarding the use of a crockpot as a humidifier. It wasn't on a forum but was in a blog.

"I moved here, to West Texas, 7 months ago. Previously, I had lived in Northern Indiana for 12 years. The humidity in Indiana is very high--especially in the summertime. The air can be so heavy with moisture that you felt like you were breathing through a wet washrag. But it was wonderful for my hair and my skin. Both were always moisturized and smooth.

Since being here, I have noticed that my hair and my skin are very dry. My hair has so much static in it, when brushing it, that it practically stands on end!

I have been pricing humidifiers, for my room, and cannot afford those. They average anywhere from $35 to $60 and even higher than that. I went to Walmart to look at the humidifiers there and found the same high prices. As I was getting ready to leave, I walked past the cookware section and saw a small electric Crockpot for only $10. The light bulb went off over my head. Why not? Why wouldn’t that work?

I bought it, took it home, and put in my room. I filled it with water, set it on “High”, put the lid on it and let it get up to the high heat. They don’t boil, so there was no fear of it boiling dry. When it reached the high point, I took the lid off, then went to bed.

By morning, there was enough humidity in the air that my skin already felt better and I could brush my hair without it flying up into the air. There was still 2 inches of water left in the crockpot. I did have a small fear of it going dry and ruining the crockpot or possibly catching fire but all was well. Another added bonus was that there was no moisture collected on my dresser where it was sitting and humidifiers can cause that--which can make it a chore to keep wiping up the water or keeping a towel under them and possibly ruining the wood.

I use it every night and am very pleased with the results. I can even put scented oil or potpourri in it and have my room smell heavenly!

Great ‘humidifier’ for only 10 bucks!"

Dark Moon, I regularly clean my humidifier or the water in it starts to resemble a swamp!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:04 pm      Reply with quote
This may seem like a silly suggestion, egyptiangoddess, but do you have different seetings on your AC? Maybe not having it on too high would make it less drying. That's what I did with my AC. Overnight, I would change the temperature so that it wasn't blasting cold air. I found it far less drying. Just an idea!!
egyptiangoddess
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:05 am      Reply with quote
Thank you leeleedeedee. I've tried doing that but it's still quite drying. But my bucket of water seems to be helping a bit. Smile
Peggotty
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:15 am      Reply with quote
Wow, great ideas! The cheapest most simple option is definitely the bucket of water, but Where does one put the bucket of water in the room? Near the AC vent, middle of room, next to bed or desk if in an office?
egyptiangoddess
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:23 am      Reply with quote
Thank you so much for posting that HippoMe! Very Happy

Peggotty wrote:
Wow, great ideas! The cheapest most simple option is definitely the bucket of water, but Where does one put the bucket of water in the room? Near the AC vent, middle of room, next to bed or desk if in an office?

Peggotty, I just put my bucket of water on the floor beside the side table that's beside the bed. The AC is at the foot of my bed. I don't think it matters where you put it though. Just anywhere is fine I think. Smile
Peggotty
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:07 am      Reply with quote
egyptiangoddess wrote:
Thank you so much for posting that HippoMe! Very Happy

Peggotty wrote:

Peggotty, I just put my bucket of water on the floor beside the side table that's beside the bed. The AC is at the foot of my bed. I don't think it matters where you put it though. Just anywhere is fine I think. Smile

Thanks egyptiangoddes! Very Happy
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:02 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |