Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)
Cellular senescence in dermal fibroblasts
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
egyptiangoddess
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:56 am      Reply with quote
I was thinking about inflammation in relation to aging, and then I thought about nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) and wondered if they have an anti-aging effect due to their anti-inflammatory effect or not. I found this study but I'm not sure exactly what "cellular senescence in dermal fibroblasts" is or if an acceleration of senescence is good or bad. I think it's bad but I'm really not sure. Does anyone know?!

This is the study I'm talking about:

"It has been recently proposed that pro-inflammatory genes such as cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) play a key role in the aging process. However, it remains unclear whether the pro-inflammatory activity of COX-2 is involved in the aging process and whether COX-2 inhibitors prevent aging. We therefore examined the effect of COX-2 inhibitors on aging in the cellular senescence model of human dermal fibroblasts (HDFs). While the catalytic activity of COX-2 was observed to increase in the senescence process, we found that among three selective COX-2 inhibitors studied, only NS-398 inhibited the senescence whereas celecoxib and nimesulide accelerated the senescence. Non-selective COX inhibitors including aspirin, ibuprofen and flurbiprofen accelerated the senescence. The senescence-regulating effect of selective COX-2 inhibitors had no correlation with cellular reactive oxygen species levels, NF-kappaB activities or protein levels of p53 and p21. We instead found that selective COX-2 inhibitors regulate caveolin-1 expression at transcriptional levels, which was closely associated with the inhibitors' effect on the senescence. Collectively, these results suggest that COX-2 catalytic activity does not mediate HDF senescence and that selective COX-2 inhibitors modulate HDF senescence by a catalytic activity-independent mechanism."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18848576

So does that mean that NSAIDS are good or bad when it comes to anti-aging? And if "accelerated senescence" is bad for aging, do you think it is counteracted by the anti-inflammatory action of the NSAIDS or not? (Because inflammation accelerates aging.) Which is more aging is basically what I mean. Inflammation or accelerated cellular senescence. Anyone know?
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:33 pm      Reply with quote
Both are.
Take fish oil with Omega-3 and avoid them.

Follow Weil's anti-inflammatory diet.
http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/PAG00361/anti-inflammatory-food-pyramid.html

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:32 pm      Reply with quote
Interesting abstract!

Agree with Fawnie: there is more than one way to reducing inflammation. Firstly lifestyle modification, secondly carefully selecting your skincare products. All of them: just because irritation is nor visible doesn't mean it is not damaging. It's always worth considering the mechanism of action of an active as you are, not just the 'headline' action. Wink

NSAIDs are best used to reduce the level of inflammation that increase tissue damage or restricts movement on a regular basis. However research indicates they may slow healing of an injury, so it doesn't surprise me there are potentially negative effects in ageing too. Sad

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
DrJ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:43 pm      Reply with quote
egyptiangoddess wrote:
I was thinking about inflammation in relation to aging, and then I thought about nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) and wondered if they have an anti-aging effect due to their anti-inflammatory effect or not. I found this study but I'm not sure exactly what "cellular senescence in dermal fibroblasts" is or if an acceleration of senescence is good or bad. I think it's bad but I'm really not sure. Does anyone know?!

inflammation + aging = Inflammaging. I posted a new thread since its not cellular senescence in dermal fibroblasts.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:39 pm      Reply with quote
DrJ wrote:
egyptiangoddess wrote:

inflammation + aging = Inflammaging. I posted a new thread since its not cellular senescence in dermal fibroblasts.

I'm quite aware of the term inflammaging DrJ. And I never stated that inflammation was the same as cellular senescence in dermal fibroblasts. What are you talking about? I clearly separated the two. You must not have read my entire post. I said inflammation accelerated aging, yes. But I wasn't asking about that. I was asking about "acceleration of senescence" as well as if a decrease in inflammation counteracted it. Thanks anyways.

fawnie, thank you. I'm WELL aware of fish oil and Dr. Weil's anti-inflammatory diet lol. Thanks though. I am not taking NSAIDS. I was just pondering the thought of my original post because I'm well aware of inflammation in relation to aging as well as NSAIDS and was curious if they could have an anti-aging effect due to a decrease in inflammation. Then I came across that study and simply wanted to know if an acceleration of senescence was a bad thing and if so, does the decrease in inflammation have such an anti-aging effect so as to negate the acceleration of senescence. And since we are all aware of inflammation in relation to aging and many people are on NSAID medication, I thought it would be an interesting thing to find out about and perhaps it could help people. Several of my immediate family members (including my sister) are on several medications, including NSAIDS, and do not take fish oils or eat an anti-inflammatory diet. Hence my question.

Firefox, thank you. I can't make my family members eat differently or take fish oils etc. so this is awfully disheartening. Sad
egyptiangoddess
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:19 am      Reply with quote
Here is something I came across that touched upon senescent cells and skin aging in case anyone would like to read it:

http://skintypesolutions.com/index.php?option=com_article&view=article&id=478

And some related articles:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC40985/pdf/pnas01498-0361.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senescence

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21191810

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/story/health/story/2011-11-02/Clearing-out-old-cells-may-make-for-a-healthier-old-age/51046964/1

Very interesting!
Tiny
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:26 am      Reply with quote
I am not sure this is the answer your looking for, but I had to take them for a few years, and I did not notice any "anti-aging". Perhaps when someones body needs them, they are only able to take the body back to normal, or at least thats why someone is on them, to lower the inflamtion.

To really test your theory, I would think someone would need to take them that did NOT need them Confused But the problem with that would then be all the possible side effects of the medicines, ie: stomach problems, ect.
h.kitty
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:26 am      Reply with quote
egyptiangoddess- what an intriguing topic!

You might be interested in the following patent application.

COMPOSITION FOR REGULATING CELLULAR SENESCENCE COMPRISING [N-2-(CYCLOHEXYLOXYL)-4-NITROPHENYL]-METHANESULFONAMIDE

US Patent Application # 20120088839

The inventors listed on the application are two of the authors of the study you referenced. I didn't read the full patent yet but it goes into nice detail about the study and has a lot of additional information. I hope you find it helpful.

http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20120088839
egyptiangoddess
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:54 am      Reply with quote
Thank you Tiny. Smile

Wow, very interesting h.kitty, thank you! Smile
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:19 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |