Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Peeling due to too many products - advice?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:11 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyone, I need your help! My skin was doing great (as far as I could tell) but I've come to a point where it has taken a turn, and I'm not sure how to proceed. I like to simplify, but suddenly I feel like things have gotten out of hand!

Overall Condition:
I have normal/oily skin and usually assume I've got a reasonable buildup on the surface protecting it - but of course this isn't always the case.
Most of my hyperpigmentation has faded, but there are some very recent scars from irritation (on my chin & jawline), plus a couple of other small dots which have never faded. I'm not sure what they are. I have a small issue with texture due to long ago acne on a couple of places on my cheeks, and large pores in my t-zone.

My routine has included:
OCM - 3 or 4 minutes when cleaning off makeup. Ran out of castor oil so just a mix of others.
Microfibre cloth - either alone in the morning, or to remove the oil. I overdo it!
Vit C - was applying every 2 or 3 days
Tretinoin - every 3rd night or so
Super ghk cp serum - every day or other day for the last couple months
KinNiaNag - I found it too oily for my liking, but recently introduced it again, particularly on hyperpigmentation & a little on the large pores.
Devita sunscreens - I have the moisturizer & body lotion & have been alternating
Zinc ointment - a little to the outer corners of my eyes
Hydroquinone - every few weeks I spot treat with it for a few days
Alpha Arbutin/Lactic (Platinum) fading gel - spot treating but went a little crazy for a while - all over the chin & lower cheeks a few weeks ago. Bad idea.
The very rare aspirin/honey mask, zia papaya enzyme mask, yogurt/sea kelp mask, the diy gelatin eye treatment...

Recent Condition:
My skin has started flaking and I NEVER get flaking! I'm not sure what triggered itbut I think the zia papaya enzyme (discontinued formula) which worked like a dream a couple weeks ago, made it vulnerable. The flaking is mild but all over, even above my eyelids!
Today the lower part of my face, stung a bit and the sides of my nostrils feel a bit crusty, so I know I'm in trouble.
Diet: Loads of fruit & veggies lately, less breads & grains & dairy, chicken or beef every 2-3 days, I take fish oil supplements but haven't had much fish in recent months

What I've done:
I'm gentler with my microfibre. I stopped using Vit C a couple weeks ago. I stopped using the spot treatments and masks. Haven't used cp's for a couple days. Today I'm going to try zinc ointment in the worst areas.

My questions:
Can I take a break from the Tretinoin without going back to zero? I gathered that after a year of everyday use you need to keep it up in your system every 2-3 days.
Is there anything to be lost by discontinuing cp's for a bit?
Will continuing the KinNiaNag be helpful for my condition? I want to keep treating the recent hyperpigmentation on my chin & jawline somehow if I can.

Thanks for your time!

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:31 pm      Reply with quote
LoriA wrote:

My questions:
Can I take a break from the Tretinoin without going back to zero? I gathered that after a year of everyday use you need to keep it up in your system every 2-3 days.
Is there anything to be lost by discontinuing cp's for a bit?
Will continuing the KinNiaNag be helpful for my condition? I want to keep treating the recent hyperpigmentation on my chin & jawline somehow if I can.

Thanks for your time!

Excellent questions! I wish I knew the answers!
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:43 pm      Reply with quote
Enlarged pores can indicate dehydration. Flaking all over might indicate mild contact dermatitis not simply dryness, if that is the case you need to lay off as many actives as possible. IMO certainly the Retin-A and even the Devita Body Block - that contains essential oils which might irritate. Confused

Maybe switch to a lotion cleanser rinsed with plain water and your hands? Oils rich in oleic acid can contribute to irritation, plus using the microfibre cloth won't be allowing your skin barrier to repair. Once you return to the OCM maybe add an emulsifier to your blend so you don't have to use the microfibre cloth as much? Or switch to muslin cloths which are difficult to cause damage with?

Zinc can also be drying so IMO limit to sunscreen. Have you considered aloe vera? It has proven healing, humectant, anti-inflammatory and collagen inducing properties. Of all your actives the KinNiaNag is probably the gentlest and I have used it myself on irritated skin - post LA peel/ dermarolling - but I would not use it if it causes stinging. I don't find it greasy tho, do you mean if you apply moisturiser over the top? Are you using it morning or night?

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:46 pm      Reply with quote
If you stop using the Retin A, your results will slowly start to diminish. It is definitely not an overnight thing; just normal aging happening. If you have used the RA for 1 year, most will tell you that you can maintain your results with around 3 nights a week.

Can't help with the cps or the KNN product!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:19 pm      Reply with quote
A second on it is not overnight I stopped RA for a week or two completely to try a product alone (initially). and did not see any difference at all!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:05 am      Reply with quote
Oh boy.. you know what, I had become quite dehydrated a while ago so this may be in part a reaction! Have always had large t-zone pores though.

I don't have a safe lotion cleanser, but adding poly80 to my oils was a great idea I'd been meaning to try. LOVE IT - had missed washing with cleanser & rinsing!

I haven't found zinc drying to either lips or eyes, but those areas are different so you may have a point. I've never been wild about aloe - plus I read recently that its best mixed with other things? Anyway, I'm hesitant to apply more.. will cut the main irritants first and see how it goes, especially since there's already the Devita (moisturizer) & KinNiaNag. I find everything too oily for my skin. Sad

Will hold off on the Tretinoin, for sure. And the cp's too... as I recall, had developed a little dryness around my mouth soon after started on it.
(Btw, do you know if its ok to use knn after retin-a or cp's? I don't like layering things if I can help it but with ALL this stuff! Would like to use at night due to oiliness.)

Funny how I thought of myself as non-reactive and kind of invincible before this! Too much product for me, washing 2x a day at times (odd schedule), and absent-mindedly touching my chin & jawline too much.. a culmination of sillyness. Things feel a little better today.
Thanks everyone - very helpful!

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:29 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |