Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Problems with Carol Maggio's Nose Shortener Exercise
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
ladylib17
5% products discount

Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:39 pm      Reply with quote
Hi. I'm doing Maggio's nose exercise for some months to narrow my wide nose, but i've noticed that muscle is developing on the sides of my nose making my nose appear wider. But I've been doing the exercise like 10+ times a day instead of the recommended 1-3 times a day. Is my doing too many reps too many times a day causing the muscle to build? How do i get rid of this muscle and just overall, narrow my nose?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:20 am      Reply with quote
Doing it 10x a day is too much - you should stop right away. Also you want to do all her exercises, not just the nose one, because it may be that these muscles are working instead of the nose one that you are supposed to be working. Try emailing Carole directly too, she does give advice via email (look up her contact details onwww.facercise.com) and she'll advise you - but you should send her a photo showing her the area too and she'll really be helpful!
ladylib17
5% products discount

Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:38 am      Reply with quote
TheresaMary wrote:
Doing it 10x a day is too much - you should stop right away. Also you want to do all her exercises, not just the nose one, because it may be that these muscles are working instead of the nose one that you are supposed to be working. Try emailing Carole directly too, she does give advice via email (look up her contact details on and she'll advise you - but you should send her a photo showing her the area too and she'll really be helpful!

I emailed Carole Maggio a couple of days ago and am waiting for her response. But I've been doing the Eye Enhancer and Lip Shaper exercises in addition with the Nose Shortener, but I don't do the whole program because some areas of my face I don't want to work out. My jaw and neck, for example, are already toned and dont want to touch those areas. However, I'm stopping all exercises for awhile so that my muscles could atrophy because a combination of the eye, nose, and lip exercises could've caused the muscle? I'm just not sure.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:08 pm      Reply with quote
When doing the exercise, you want to make sure you pinch the tip of your nose (the description of this modification is in the new Facercise book). The reason being that it prevents the tip of the nose from becoming too bulbous from pushing against the bottom of the nose. That should help Smile

5% products discount

Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:03 am      Reply with quote
I always hear everybody raving about Carole Maggio's nose shortenter. So I would love to try it too Rolling Eyes But i do not have her book. Does anyone know where i can find the nose shortener from Carole Maggio on the net?
ladylib17
5% products discount

Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:58 am      Reply with quote
Fé wrote:
I always hear everybody raving about Carole Maggio's nose shortenter. So I would love to try it too Rolling Eyes But i do not have her book. Does anyone know where i can find the nose shortener from Carole Maggio on the net?

There's a video on YouTube of Carole Maggio herself doing the Nose Shortener under the username cmagio. You can search the username and find her doing all of the facial exercises for the nose, eyes, lips etc.

5% products discount

Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:59 am      Reply with quote
Fé wrote:

There's a video on YouTube of Carole Maggio herself doing the Nose Shortener under the username cmagio. You can search the username and find her doing all of the facial exercises for the nose, eyes, lips etc.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:35 am      Reply with quote
Isn't the nose made of cartilage? Why do plastic surgeons have to take to the nose with a hammer and chisel if Carole Maggio can make it shorter just by wiggling it?

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:19 am      Reply with quote
Fé wrote:

Check out this page:

http://www.whatsonningbo.com/health299.html

NOSE TRANSFORMER
WHAT IT CLAIMS TO DO: The nose continues to grow as we get older, which can age the face. This exercise will help it to retain a youthful, firmer shape. A well-toned nose can even disguise small nose imperfections, such as a bump or hollow.

METHOD: Grasp the bridge of your nose with your thumb and index finger, and push your thumb and index finger in towards your face. Push your nose tip up firmly with your other index finger. Flex the muscles in your nose downwards at the same time, by pulling your upper lip down over your teeth. Hold for a second then release the lip. Repeat the exercise 40 times. You should feel your nose tip push against your finger each time

5% products discount

Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:08 pm      Reply with quote
sandooch wrote:
Fé wrote:

Check out this page:

NOSE TRANSFORMER
WHAT IT CLAIMS TO DO: The nose continues to grow as we get older, which can age the face. This exercise will help it to retain a youthful, firmer shape. A well-toned nose can even disguise small nose imperfections, such as a bump or hollow.

METHOD: Grasp the bridge of your nose with your thumb and index finger, and push your thumb and index finger in towards your face. Push your nose tip up firmly with your other index finger. Flex the muscles in your nose downwards at the same time, by pulling your upper lip down over your teeth. Hold for a second then release the lip. Repeat the exercise 40 times. You should feel your nose tip push against your finger each time

Have you tried this exercise before? If so, has it worked for you?

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:03 pm      Reply with quote
I have a large nose which I have always hated. As a child I started to push the tip of it up to try and make it turn up on the end. This turned into a kind of habit - an action that I became addicted to doing and something that I still do to this day. But it has definitely not changed the shape of my nose in any way.

Sorry, but I think fiddling with your nose to try and change the shape is absolute bunk - both of my daughters, who inherited my nose, had nose-jobs.

5% products discount

Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:17 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
I have a large nose which I have always hated. As a child I started to push the tip of it up to try and make it turn up on the end. This turned into a kind of habit - an action that I became addicted to doing and something that I still do to this day. But it has definitely not changed the shape of my nose in any way.

Sorry, but I think fiddling with your nose to try and change the shape is absolute bunk - both of my daughters, who inherited my nose, had nose-jobs.

Pushing on the tip alone won't change the shape.
Try contracting the muscle while pushing on the
tip. Contract the muscle by moving your nose
downwards, pulling your upper lip over your lip teeth (if that makes sense). What I'm trying to
say is, you should try the Nose Transformer
exercise making sure you pinch the nose while
contracting the muscle. I was doing the
exercise wrong, hence the title "Problems with
Carole Maggio's Nose Shortener" but now that I
know the proper way to do it, I'm certain it
will narrow my nose. And remember, if you do
decide to do this exercise, pinch the nose
or the muscle will just get bigger. Do the Nose Transformer exercise, but if you decide to do the Nose Shortener exercise, pinch the nose. Trust me, it makes all the difference. Good luck.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:29 pm      Reply with quote
ladylib17 wrote:
sandooch wrote:
Fé wrote:

Check out this page:

NOSE TRANSFORMER

Have you tried this exercise before? If so, has it worked for you?

No, I do the Ageless If You Dare program and am happy with that.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:43 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
Isn't the nose made of cartilage? Why do plastic surgeons have to take to the nose with a hammer and chisel if Carole Maggio can make it shorter just by wiggling it?

The top half of the nose is made of bone, and this part can only be changed by plastic surgery. The bottom half of the nose is made of cartilage.

There is some evidence that cartilage can be manipulated to a small degree under serious force, pressure or tension over a long duration, as seen in piercings in some tribal cultures. But I'm not aware of any scientific studies on this.

No idea whether the nose shortener would fit into the above category (i.e., may not be aggressive or intense enough). But FWIW, I started to do it years ago before understanding things, and my tip nose does clearly look a bit better in my photos, so I continue to do the nose shortener.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:04 am      Reply with quote
Here is a diagramme of the nose:

The bulk of the nose is made up of cartilage - only the top part is bone. That is why when you see a human skull, there is only a hole where the nose used to be, there is no bone.

When a surgeon re-shapes the nose, it is the cartilage that is altered. To do this a surgeon must either brake the nose, or shave the cartilage with a hammer and chisel.

I just don't see how this can be done by massaging. You might be able to alter the shape of the fleshy tip of the nose by massage - but this would make a relatively small difference to general appearance.

5% products discount

Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:12 am      Reply with quote
cm5597 wrote:
Keliu wrote:

The top half of the nose is made of bone, and this part can only be changed by plastic surgery. The bottom half of the nose is made of cartilage.

There is some evidence that cartilage can be manipulated to a small degree under serious force, pressure or tension over a long duration, as seen in piercings in some tribal cultures.
But I'm not aware of any scientific studies on
this.
Carole Maggio's Nose Shortener and Nose Transformer exercises affect the muscles around the nose narrowing it. However, as you push up the tip, you are affecting the shape of the cartilage in your nose.

No idea whether the nose shortener would fit into the above category (i.e., may not be aggressive or intense enough). But FWIW, I started to do it years ago before understanding things, and my tip nose does clearly look a bit better in my photos, so I continue to do the nose shortener.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:22 am      Reply with quote
This is a reply to a question about manipulating the nose from a plastic surgeon on RealSelf.com

Quote:
Short of breaking your nasal bones by hand (a hard task to do and a painful one), there's really no way that you can cause a change such as you describe. Cartilage cannot be manipulated manually to produce any meaningful or lasting shape change. If you're concerned about your nasal appearance, speak to a surgeon well-trained and experienced in rhinoplasty.
David C. Pearson, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon
http://www.realself.com/question/changing-nose-tip-manipulating-cartilage-hand

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:51 am      Reply with quote
The answer is already in the opening post. This so called 'nose shortener' does nothing to actually shorten the nose, but by thickening the muscle makes the nose look flatter (and thicker).
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:12 am      Reply with quote
Sorry but then why does Maggio say it can shorten the nose then? She's said continously that the nose continues to grow throughout our lives, and that her exercise stops the nose from becoming longer. Seriously its in her book!
Lotusesther wrote:
The answer is already in the opening post. This so called 'nose shortener' does nothing to actually shorten the nose, but by thickening the muscle makes the nose look flatter (and thicker).

5% products discount

Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:13 am      Reply with quote
Lotusesther wrote:

YAY, i'm so happy about this. I have a really small nose, like micheal jackson(My nose doesn't look like his nose ofcourse, but it is the same narrowness, if you know what i mean). So yeah, i'm going to try it and will report back. But it may takes months or even year(s) before the muscles are actually build, but definitely going to try this.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:28 am      Reply with quote
TheresaMary wrote:
Sorry but then why does Maggio say it can shorten the nose then? She's said continously that the nose continues to grow throughout our lives, and that her exercise stops the nose from becoming longer. Seriously its in her book!
Lotusesther wrote:

Have you seen photographs of her face lately? I wouldn't believe a thing she says. Why do you think people get nose jobs? Do you seriously think that you can just rub your nose and make it shorter, wider, narrower? This is all such nonsense. Even if you were to manipulate the muscles around the nose or the flesh on the tip of it - you can't change the shape of the cartilage which basically dictates the shape of your nose.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:29 am      Reply with quote
TheresaMary wrote:
Lotusesther wrote:

Yes it is in her book. But that doesn't mean it's true, or even possible.
ladylib17
5% products discount

Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:17 am      Reply with quote
Lotusesther wrote:
TheresaMary wrote:
Lotusesther wrote:

Yes it is in her book. But that doesn't mean it's true, or even possible.

Let me clarify. Yes, I built muscle on the sides of my nose, but I was doing the exercise too many times. It's equivalant to lifting weights a little more than you should; you build more muscle. I found out that I should only be doing the exercise 2x a day and to pinch my nose as I do it. Pinching the nose will allow the muscle to stay contained and acquire the pinched shape as I contract the muscle thinning my nose. I was doing the exercise wrong and I found out the right way to do it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:23 am      Reply with quote
Keliu/Lotuserther

Of course I have seen her, and for what its worth I don’t believe the exercise has any potential to shorten the nose (and have said several times in the past that if it could – then why hasn’t there been proper photographic and scientific evidence showing it so). That doesn’t change the fact that there are those that say they have seen changes from doing the exercises – Aprile I think discussed it some time ago. Now if a lot of people are saying it, then can you really be so sure that its impossible? Likewise with the nose continuously growing, I’m guessing that’s some sort of fact right, whose to say you can change the direction of the growth or stunt it like you can with the body? Just thinking aloud here.

I mean that exercise crops up everywhere – not just Maggios but Carolyn’s Facial Fitness, Rawesome Flex etc. Can they all be wrong? I mean didn’t Claudia say something at one time that she and her mother Deb used to have identical noses but that Deb changed it through her system?

Likewise, I’ve got no problem with people who have nose jobs – or any surgery. I’m all about if someone wants something for the right reasons and isn’t doing anyone else any harm – then whats the big deal?
Lotusesther
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:11 am      Reply with quote
Of course by training the muscle you can (slightly) change the shape of the nose. But you can't shorten it. The name of the exercise is misleading. To take away any volume (length- or otherwise) you will need the surgeon's knife (or hammer and chisel - eeks!)

That said, smoothing the sides of the nose through exercise so that the sides and the way they go over into the cheeks look smoother and fleshier can give a 'younger' impression. So it's not that I don't think this exercise is useless, just that it doesn't do what the name says - it can't take away anything from your nose, only add to it IMO.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:55 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |