Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
What is the best form of Vitamin E for DIY?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
egyptiangoddess
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:04 am      Reply with quote
I've seen several forms of Vitamin E that you can buy for DIY skin care. Including Vitamin E oils. I'm confused about which one is best! Does anyone know? hmm
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:10 am      Reply with quote
Can you be more specific about which products you are referring to? Are you sure some are not different names for the same thing?

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
egyptiangoddess
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:26 am      Reply with quote
Well for example, there are 3 different types of Vitamin E on lotioncrafter:

Vitamin E acetate: http://www.lotioncrafter.com/vitamin-e-acetate.html

Vitamin E "Mixed Tocopherols 95%":
http://www.lotioncrafter.com/vitamin-e-mixed-tocopherols-95.html

Vitamin E "Mixed Tocopherols T50":
http://www.lotioncrafter.com/mixed-tocopherols-50-natural-vitamin-e.html

Is Vitamin E always in oil form? Anyhow, I'm confused about which one would be best for DIY. ie serums etc. Confused
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:36 am      Reply with quote
egyptiangoddess wrote:
Well for example, there are 3 different types of Vitamin E on lotioncrafter:

Vitamin E acetate: http://www.lotioncrafter.com/vitamin-e-acetate.html

Vitamin E "Mixed Tocopherols 95%":
http://www.lotioncrafter.com/vitamin-e-mixed-tocopherols-95.html

Vitamin E "Mixed Tocopherols T50":

Is Vitamin E always in oil form? Anyhow, I'm confused about which one would be best for DIY. ie serums etc. Confused

See If this helps EG not that you need purchase here just shows the differences:

Vitamin E dl-alpha tocopherol

Description: pure vitamin e, not diluted, anti-oxdiant for fats and oils. Clear viscous brown liquid, faint odor. Soluble in alcohol & oil, water insoluble. Activity 750 IU per 1 g solution (about 1 ml). CAS# 59-02-9.

INCI Name: Alpha tocopherol.

Properties: In products: active especially in cosmetic products but less on the skin (less stable than dl-alpha-tocopheryl acetate), ideal to stabilize oils and fats in products (prevents rancidity). On the skin: antioxidant (protects from damages by reactive oxygen radicals & UV rays), moisturizing & anti-aging effect (improves skin surface relief), soothing & anti-inflammatory properties, promotes epithelialization & enzyme activity.

Use: 0.5-2.5% final concentration for skin effects, 0.1-0.5% for stabilizing oils in products.

Application: All kinds of skin care products, sun care products, makeup products, hair after-treatments preperations.

http://www.makingcosmetics.com/Vitamins/Vitamin-E-dl-alpha-tocopherol-p189.html

Vitamin E dl-alpha tocopheryl acetate

Description: Water-insoluble vitamin E formed by esterification of acetic acid & tocopherol. Purity >98%. pH 6-8. Activity: 1000 IU per 1 g solution (about 1 ml). Clear viscous yellow liquid, faint odor. Soluble in alcohol & oil, water insoluble. CAS# 58-95-7.

INCI Name: Tocopheryl acetate.

Properties: On the skin: provides antioxidant activity only on the skin (tissue esterases need first to cleave off acetate to form active vitamin E), potent antioxidant (protects from damages by reactive oxygen radicals & UV rays), increases SPF, moisturizing & anti-aging effect (improves skin surface relief), soothing & anti-inflammatory properties, promotes epithelialization & enzyme activity (faster wound healing).

Use: Add to to oil phase or final phase after emulsification. Typical use level 1-10%.

Application: All kinds of skin care products including sun care & makeup products.

http://www.makingcosmetics.com/Vitamins/Vitamin-E-dl-alpha-tocopheryl-acetate-p190.html

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:09 am      Reply with quote
Thank you DM. It would seem that the tocopherol acetate would be better for skin benefits? And the other more suitable for stabilizing products?

I also wonder now if you can just buy vitamin e capsules from the store and break them open and use those instead. Does anyone do that for DIY? Smile

Found this in case it might help anyone:

Vitamin E:

Considered an antioxidant superstar. It is one of the most well-known and researched antioxidants, both when taken orally and when used in skin-care products. If there were an antioxidant hall of fame, vitamin E would likely be its inaugural member (though do not take that to mean it is the "best" antioxidant—there isn't a best, just lots of great, extremely helpful options). It is fat-soluble and available in various forms, with the most biologically active being alpha-tocopherol.

A sampling of its substantiated capabilities include:

•Protecting the epidermis from early stages of ultraviolet light damage

•Increasing the efficacy of active sunscreen ingredients

•Reducing the formation of free radicals upon skin exposure to UVA rays and other sources of skin stress

•Preventing the peroxidation of fats, a leading source of cell membrane damage in the body

•Reducing transepidermal water loss from skin and strengthens the skin's barrier function

•Protecting the skin barrier's oil (lipid) balance during the cleansing process

•Reducing the severity of sunburn

There are eight basic forms of the whole vitamin E molecule, which are either synthetically or naturally derived. The most typical forms are d-alpha-tocopherol, d-alpha-tocopherol acetate, dl-alpha tocopherol, and dl-alpha tocopherol acetate. The "d" designation in front of the "alpha" indicates that the products are derived from natural sources such as vegetable oils or wheat germ. The "dl" prefix shows that the vitamin has been created from a synthetic base. Research has shown that natural forms of vitamin E have more potency and a higher retention rate than their synthetic counterparts but both definitely have antioxidant significance (Source: American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, April 2003, pages 899-906; and Federation of European Biochemical Societies, October 16, 1998, Pages 145-148.)

Vitamin E itself is a fascinating antioxidant, but select companies have begun using tocotrienols, a segment of vitamin E's eight distinct components (alpha-tocopherol, beta-tocopherol, gamma-tocopherol, delta-tocopherol, alpha-tocotrienol, beta-tocotrienol, gamma tocotrienol, and delta-tocotrienol). There is research showing tocotrienols are more potent than other forms of vitamin E for antioxidant activity (Source: Journal of Nutrition, February 2001, pages 369S–373S; and Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, Issue 1,031, 2004, pages 124-142), but the research centered on large doses of oral tocotrienols, animal studies, or in vitro (test tube) studies. Tocotrienols in general appear to further enhance barrier function and modulate growth (Source: Free Radical Biology and Medicine, February 2003, pages 330-336). It has been shown that, at least in animal studies, the body has systems in place for regulating where the various forms of vitamin E go, and it is believed that each segment has its role in protecting various cells, be they brain, lung, or skin (Source: Journal of Lipid Research, April 1996, pages 893-901). Food sources of tocotrienols include palm, barley, and rice bran oils.

What about using vitamin E for scars? Research published in Dermatologic Surgery, April 1999, pages 311–315, concluded that the "...study shows that there is no benefit to the cosmetic outcome of scars by applying vitamin E after skin surgery and that the application of topical vitamin E may actually be detrimental to the cosmetic appearance of a scar. In 90% of the cases in this study, topical vitamin E either had no effect on, or actually worsened the cosmetic appearance of scars. Of the patients studied, 33% developed a contact dermatitis to the vitamin E." The study was done double-blind "with patients given two ointments each labeled "A" or "B." "A" was Aquaphor, a regular emollient, and the "B" was Aquaphor mixed with vitamin E. Patients were asked to put the A ointment on part A and the B ointment on part B twice daily for 4 weeks." The conclusion was that vitamin E applied on the skin doesn't appear to reduce the appearance or formation of scars. However, as many dermatologists will attest, many patients believe vitamin E prevents or reduces the appearance of scars, thus its usage and anecdotal results continue (Source: Canadian Family Physician, July 2006, pages 855–856).

From: http://www.cosmeticscop.com/cosmetic-ingredient-dictionary/definition/1573/vitamin-e.aspx
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:27 am      Reply with quote
I have done both used the gel caps, but did call to make sure that what was contained inside was only oil and Vitamin E, and I have the E purchased for DIY.

If just using a tiny amount in a DIY recipe I personally prefer natural Vitamin E. Smile

If I were making batches my concern would be for stability.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:30 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
I have done both used the gel caps, but did call to make sure that what was contained inside was only oil and Vitamin E, and I have the E purchased for DIY.

If just using a tiny amount in a DIY recipe I personally prefer natural Vitamin E. Smile

Ok thank you DM. So if you're just using a tiny amount in a DIY recipe, which form of Vitamin E was it that you prefer to use? I don't know what you mean by natural Vitamin E. Embarassed

Oh did you mean "d" forms of vitamin e vs. "dl"? I wonder if anywhere has the "d" forms.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:35 am      Reply with quote
egyptiangoddess wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:

Ok thank you DM. So if you're just using a tiny amount in a DIY recipe, which form of Vitamin E was it that you prefer to use? I don't know what you mean by natural Vitamin E. Embarassed

I find pure E oil at my health food store (liquid or in gel caps). I get this as d-alpha:

On a supplement label, natural vitamin E is listed as d-alpha tocopherol, d-alpha tocopheryl acetate, or d-alpha tocopheryl succinate. In contrast, synthetic forms of vitamin E are labeled with a dl- prefix.

http://www.chiro.org/nutrition/FULL/Natural_vs_Synthetic_Vitamin_E.shtml

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:47 am      Reply with quote
Ok thanks DM. The tocopheryl acetate from lotioncrafters doesn't say whether it's d or dl.

http://www.lotioncrafter.com/vitamin-e-acetate.html

And this one says its a mix of d tocopherols.

Hmmm...I want a natural Vitamin E then. The d type. Not sure if the one on lotioncrafter is the best for skin though? They make it sound as if it's best for extending products shelf life.

I've seen "tocopheryl acetate" elsewhere as well and they don't state if it's the d or dl form.

I think I'll just have to see if I can find "d alpha tocopheryl acetate" at the store! Smile
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:53 am      Reply with quote
egyptiangoddess wrote:
Ok thanks DM. The tocopheryl acetate from lotioncrafters doesn't say whether it's d or dl.

Hmmm...I want a natural Vitamin E then. The d type. Not sure if the one on lotioncrafter is the best for skin though? They make it sound as if it's best for extending products shelf life.

I've seen "tocopheryl acetate" elsewhere as well and they don't state if it's the d or dl form.

I know and honestly I do not think it makes a huge difference, it is my "natural" bias and having a store just 5 minutes from home where I can grab the oil easily!

I would just go with the most stable and call it good when buying from a DIY supplier, you know it will be stable! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:28 am      Reply with quote
Vitamin E is an oil-soluble vitamin so it would generally be sold in an oily format. I presume it must be possible to bond the molecule to a water soluble one to change its solubility (as you can with vitamin C), but that would alter the concentration of actual vitamin E and possibly the potency.

From your Lotioncrafter links
"Mixed Tocopherols T50 is a transparent, brownish-red, viscous oil with a characteristic odor. It is a 50% active blend of natural mixed tocopherols isolated from vegetables oils and concentrated to contain naturally occurring d-alpha, d-beta, d-gamma and d-delta tocopherols in a soybean oil base ...
Mixed Tocopherols 95%, Natural Vitamin E is a transparent, brownish-red, viscous oil with a mild characteristic odor. It is a 95% active blend of natural mixed tocopherols isolated from soybean oil and concentrated to contain naturally occurring d-alpha, d-beta, d-gamma and d-delta tocopherols
."

Those two are basically the same, other than one is almost twice as concentrated. They are natural in that they are concentrated/ extracted from a natural oil.

"It should be noted that tocopherol has the potential to act as a pro-oxidant rather than an anti-oxidant when co-antioxidants like vitamin C are not available to neutralize the tocopherol radical and when oxidative stress is mild. Naturally occurring vitamin E can be unstable in skin care formulations. Alpha Tocopherol is susceptible to UV irradiation, being rapidly converted to tocopheroxy radicals that use up other antioxidants. Use of Vitamin E Acetate, an ester of alpha tocopherol helps overcome this limitation. Tocopheryl acetate is bioconverted to its biologically active form, vitamin E, within the skin when applied topically. Studies show that topical use of tocopherol and alpha tocopheryl acetate are more effective than dietary supplementation in increasing the vitamin E content of the skin."

This form has had the acetate molecule tacked on in a lab, which makes it less 'natural' but more stable. Lotioncrafter explains in what type of formulas this might be better for (sunscreens, serums without other antioxidants) so it's clearly not a one-size-fits-all situation. The technical data sheet generally has even more information than the description. Otherwise e-mail the company - if they can't or won't answer your questions don't shop with them.

To make a capsule an oil will necessarily be exposed to air and light during processing. If you want natural vitamin E in this form you would need to be very careful which manufacturer you choose to ensure stability. This will likely be pricey per ml because you are paying for a factory process you simply don't need. If you purchase natural E as a bottled oil IMO buy only very small quantities in a dark glass bottle. You might even transfer to an airless pump. A gelatin capsule is somewhat permeable so again purchase in small quantities, and be sure there is little air space in the dark glass container.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:01 pm      Reply with quote
egyptiangoddess wrote:

I think I'll just have to see if I can find "d alpha tocopheryl acetate" at the store! Smile

On LC if you click the Fact Sheet pdf under the MSDS and tech tab it tells you it is the DL form. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:42 am      Reply with quote
Firefox, yes I read that already, thanks. I also read this however:

"There are eight basic forms of the whole vitamin E molecule, which are either synthetically or naturally derived. The most typical forms are d-alpha-tocopherol, d-alpha-tocopherol acetate, dl-alpha tocopherol, and dl-alpha tocopherol acetate. The "d" designation in front of the "alpha" indicates that the products are derived from natural sources such as vegetable oils or wheat germ. The "dl" prefix shows that the vitamin has been created from a synthetic base. Research has shown that natural forms of vitamin E have more potency and a higher retention rate than their synthetic counterparts but both definitely have antioxidant significance (Source: American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, April 2003, pages 899-906; and Federation of European Biochemical Societies, October 16, 1998, Pages 145-148.)"

Which led me to believe the natural "d" form was perhaps better. Then the several different forms of Vitamin E on different sites, some saying they're better for preservation, some saying they're better for skin, etc etc. Then I also saw several peoples DIY sites where they used different forms as well. For example, one person used "Covi-Ox mixed tocopherols" in a serum. Hence why I'm asking everyone what they prefer to use in their own DIY.

Does anyone else have a preference? Smile
egyptiangoddess
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:45 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
egyptiangoddess wrote:

On LC if you click the Fact Sheet pdf under the MSDS and tech tab it tells you it is the DL form. Smile

Oh thank you DM!! I was certain I'd looked at all of them already! Smile
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:19 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |