Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Review: Ulthera
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Panda1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:41 pm      Reply with quote
I had my first Ulthera treatment in March, 2011 and a second treatment in July. It hurts - a lot. I had my lower face and neck done - not full face - so more or less from the cheek bones down. For the first treatment I probably had 20 small injections of lidocaine - and it still hurt. For the second treatment I opted for a topical numbing cream and fewer injections.

Yes, I think there was some skin tightening that occurred most noticably in the jowl area. On a scale of 1 to 10 I would rate the skin tightening results a 5. I do think that some collagen building occurred as I felt my skin became much less sensitive after the treatments.

On the down side, I felt that there were some areas of my face - specifically where the smile lines are - that did not benefit from the treatment at all and perhaps got worse and that was what prompted my interest in Lifeline. If I were advising someone about this procedure I would suggest trying a growth factor product for six months before committing to the treatment.
Tiny
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:20 pm      Reply with quote
Can you describe the treatment? Is this like thermage, I ask because you say its painful Confused How many treatments do they suggest?
Panda1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:32 pm      Reply with quote
Tiny wrote:
Can you describe the treatment? Is this like thermage, I ask because you say its painful Confused How many treatments do they suggest?

Tiny – I apologize, I thought there had already been a discussion of Ulthera on the forum. Yes, Ulthera is similar to Thermage as far as both are treatments for skin tightening. Thermage uses radio frequency and Ulthera uses ultrasound. Supposedly Ulthera penetrates deeper, but that is just what the marketing literature says.

This will probably change over time, but currently you can have two successive treatments with Ulthera (a minimum of three months apart and then an annual “touch up” if necessary. Not everyone will need two treatments. Most people see results with a single treatment – again I am just relating the marketing literature – I have no idea what most people see. The literature says that some results are immediate, but I think most of what is seen immediately after the treatment is swelling. Since the procedure is intended to build collagen, real results are not expected for three to six months. There is no downtime per se, but I wouldn’t have really wanted to go back to work after my treatment.

I don’t know if I can post this link, so if it gets deleted, you might want to look at Dr. Matthew White’s website. He has a nice little video on Ulthera (he did some of the clinical trials) showing how over time collagen fibers get kind of “wonky” and the Ulthera treatment “straightens them out” and I guess this is what is meant by rebuilding the dermal matrix.
http://www.drmatthewwhite.com/nonsurgical-ulthera.htm

So here is my theory on this treatment – collagen begets collagen. If one is younger and has a fair amount of collagen to begin with then one should see good results from a single treatment, BUT for those of us that are older, the amount of new collagen that comes from the single treatment is not enough to be as noticeable as we may like, so the first treatment builds a little collagen and then the second builds a little more. I apologize that this is not even remotely scientific, but I am not attempting to education, rather to just relay my experience.
Tiny
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:44 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Pandal

I had a thermage treatment, eons ago, and it was very painful Confused , nor do I think I got much out of it, but that said, I might of, I could look a lot worse by now Laughing
c4ward
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:35 pm      Reply with quote
I've had Thermage on my full face and Ultherapy on just my forehead. Although Thermage hurts, Ultherapy hurts even more. But wow, do I see results after three months from Ultherapy! My eye lids were starting to droop and it has lifted my forehead enough that no longer is the case. I am saving to do my whole face because of the results. I would highly recommend it but caution that it is very painful.I prefer the results of Ultherapy to Thermage. I was pleased with Thermage but blown away by Ultherapy!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:46 pm      Reply with quote
c4ward wrote:
I've had Thermage on my full face and Ultherapy on just my forehead. Although Thermage hurts, Ultherapy hurts even more. But wow, do I see results after three months from Ultherapy! My eye lids were starting to droop and it has lifted my forehead enough that no longer is the case. I am saving to do my whole face because of the results. I would highly recommend it but caution that it is very painful.I prefer the results of Ultherapy to Thermage. I was pleased with Thermage but blown away by Ultherapy!

How many treatments did you have, I read this as one? and how much do these cost?

TIA
Panda1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:01 pm      Reply with quote
c4ward wrote:

A couple other things to add about the Ultherapy, I do think there is a lot of research going on in that area. The first clinical trials were only done for the brow. The clinical trials for the jaw and jowl area should just be completing and the new trials will be for other body parts. I know that just in the three months between my treatments they were introducing new "treatment heads" to allow for better results in certain areas. The one I remember most was to do lip lines.

Tiny, I paid $1,500 for lower face and neck. I have since heard Leslie Baumann describe the treatment as similar to frying bacon - like how bacon shrinks with the heat. Not exactly the quote, but you get the idea.
Tiny
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:47 pm      Reply with quote
Panda1 wrote:
c4ward wrote:

A couple other things to add about the Ultherapy, I do think there is a lot of research going on in that area. The first clinical trials were only done for the brow. The clinical trials for the jaw and jowl area should just be completing and the new trials will be for other body parts. I know that just in the three months between my treatments they were introducing new "treatment heads" to allow for better results in certain areas. The one I remember most was to do lip lines.

Tiny, I paid $1,500 for lower face and neck. I have since heard Leslie Baumann describe the treatment as similar to frying bacon - like how bacon shrinks with the heat. Not exactly the quote, but you get the idea.

thanks Pandal, ok I will await your next results!! before I let them fry bacon on my face, Wink , meaning the pain factor Exclamation
carolb
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:42 pm      Reply with quote
I have a friend who did it and said it hurt like hell. Originally, she said there was supposed to be no downtime. Well, she had about 2 weeks of downtime but is thrilled with the results. She paid 2800.00 for full face and neck. She is not the type to do this but she saw incredible results on a friend.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:47 am      Reply with quote
carolb wrote:
I have a friend who did it and said it hurt like hell. Originally, she said there was supposed to be no downtime. Well, she had about 2 weeks of downtime but is thrilled with the results. She paid 2800.00 for full face and neck. She is not the type to do this but she saw incredible results on a friend.

Have you seen her? If so what results are you seeing? And why down for 2 weeks? Sorry so many questions, but this has peaked my interest!

TIA
c4ward
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:07 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyone.
I just had one treatment of Ultherapy and Thermage. I do think both worked well on my skin, but noticed more with Ultherapy. I paid $500 for the forehead. The whole face and neck at my doctor is $4,500, so the $2,800 sounds like a good deal to me.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:17 pm      Reply with quote
I'm so sorry one of your friends had such a long down time. Other than being a bit tired from the Valium, I was fine after the procedure.
My sister reminds me that I said it hurt for the next week. Not unbearably, but it was sensitive.

I'm glad to hear they are working on new heads, ect. I would imagine within a short time, the pain level will diminish with science somehow. My sister knows a dermatologist that performs it with pain blocks. I'd think I'd rather pay a bit more and have it done that way for the whole face and neck.

For all the pain I am referencing, I need to add again how PLEASED I am with the results. I forgot that the doctor took before pictures, so I'll try to get those and post the difference. It may take a few weeks to get those.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:15 pm      Reply with quote
Pandal, any updates on your skin? Hows your face doing now?
Panda1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:11 pm      Reply with quote
Tiny wrote:

Tiny, I had my last Ulthera treatment in July of 2011, so it is nearly a year ago. Most results are visable in six months. Like I said, I was satisfied with the results, although not blown away by them. If I decide to do a follow-up Ulthera it won't be until the end of this year. I may try another laser treatment for skin tightening, but I'm still undecided. I'll be sure to let you know what I decide though.
Tiny
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:56 pm      Reply with quote
Panda1 wrote:
Tiny wrote:

Tiny, I had my last Ulthera treatment in July of 2011, so it is nearly a year ago. Most results are visable in six months. Like I said, I was satisfied with the results, although not blown away by them. If I decide to do a follow-up Ulthera it won't be until the end of this year. I may try another laser treatment for skin tightening, but I'm still undecided. I'll be sure to let you know what I decide though.

Oh I miss understood, I thought you just re-did it again a few weeks ago.
c4ward
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:54 am      Reply with quote
Hi Pandal!
Glad to get another point of view on the procedure. What other procedures are you looking into? My main concerns are my elasticity of my skin and discoloration. The Ultherapy really helped on the elasticity for me.
Thanks for any answers:)

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:17 pm      Reply with quote
I'm very interested in this - I'd love to find something that helped with sagging jowls. I did get Thermage when it first came on the market - it cost an absolute fortune and did nothing, or if it did it was extremely subtle. Therefore I'm wary of Ulthera - and I just had a look at the before and after photos and they aren't that enticing.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:17 pm      Reply with quote
I'm very interested in this - I'd love to find something that helped with sagging jowls. I did get Thermage when it first came on the market - it cost an absolute fortune and did nothing, or if it did it was extremely subtle. Therefore I'm wary of Ulthera - and I just had a look at the before and after photos and they aren't that enticing.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:24 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:

I'm sticking with my collagen begets collagen theory. I think that the younger you are, the better the results, and I would say 40ish for prime results. That's why I had the two treatments. First treatment saw nothing special. Second treatment was a bit better. BUT here is where I have to say that one year later I have much better jowls- results should be in after six months, but I've read that results are still possible up to a year later. So, I have been attributing a lot of skin improvements to the Lifeline, but it is possible that it is the Ulthera.

Still, for those looking for quick results, this might not be the thing. The medspa that I used did a three month follow-up of Ulthera with the SkinTyte laser. This laser does not get rave reviews as far as I can tell, but it was part of the treatment program. It's not a particularly expensive treatment so I am considering having another SkinTyte treatment along with my Lifeline. I figure it can't hurt.
Panda1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:51 pm      Reply with quote
When I had my SkinTyte treatment last week I asked about news on Ulthera, so this is just a quick update. Apparently, the new transducers are delivering twice the number of lines as the originals - which means that the patient is getting kind of a double treatment - yet the price has remained the same. And there is a transducer specifically for the upper lip to correct those nasty lines. But a side effect is that the treatment can leave red lines on the upper lip for several hours after treatment (and possibly up to several days for really dark skin types).

I believe there are some clinical trials going on with regards to fat loss after treatment. Ulthera (the company) says there should be no fat loss, but some people that have had the treatment seem to think that is not the case. (I personally think it destroys filler, but the company says no on that too.)

The newest use for Ulthera is to fix/cure hyperhidrosis - excessive under arm sweating. This is still an off label treatment, but apparently it is being tested in various locations.

They are still recommending one or two treatments with touch ups a year or more later. I think Dr. Baumann was involved in doing the clinical trials on frequency which completed at the end of the year.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:15 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |