Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Platelet Rich Plasma & Facial Esthetics
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
DrJ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:41 am      Reply with quote
Platelet Rich Plasma has a long history of use for delayed wound healing, and as enhancers in many types of surgical procedures. More recently there has been interest in PRP for facial esthetics. I thought it would be worthwhile to explore how this stuff works, especially in light of recently popularized procedures like "vampire lifts" (injected autologous platelet concentrate lysates).

Let's start with this paper which provides a good review. The discussion part is a good review of dermal & epidermal cell:cell interactions.

Can Platelet-rich Plasma Be Used for Skin Rejuvenation? Evaluation of Effects of Platelet-rich Plasma on Human Dermal Fibroblast http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3229934/pdf/ad-23-424.pdf

Note also the the discussion of MMP-1 and MMP-3.... aPRP and aPPP showed an increase in the expression of MMP-1 and MMP-3 protein. MMPs digesting various structural components of the ECM are centrally involved in dermal remodelling. Similar induction of MMP-1 in photoaged skin may facilitate the removal of collagen fragments that damage the dermal matrix tissue, thus providing a better foundation for the deposition of new collagen aPRP may induce

Does this raise any issues, esthetically speaking? Are there other issues with PRP that come to mind?

Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:17 am      Reply with quote
DrJ wrote:
The active ingredients in platelet rich plasma are cytokines and growth factors released from platelets. Why would the results with PRP (lysed platelet) injections be any different than deep needling plus targeted cytokine cocktails? Not sure how much PRP has been discussed around here. Interesting stuff. I'll start a new thread so as not to overwhelm this one.

mountaingirl wrote:
I look forward to hearing your thoughts DrJ. I'm very interested in the comparison of PRP to deep rolling. The only difference my novice mind can conclude, is that the cytokines and growth factors in PRP would be more concentrated when injected in specific areas of the face (?)

Tiny wrote:
Of course they would! Your getting the direct batch from your own blood! In away its like apples and oranges here, the skincare is topical and will take alot of time to do "there thing", these are a direct shot in, can only mean, its quicker, faster, and all around better results. I cannot see how the two could compare, other than a poor mans version perhaps. You'll get results fast, me using the cytokines I am, will, take A LOT longer.

DarkMoon wrote:
Plus they are using your own?

mountaingirl wrote:
I just wondered if deep rolling in specific area's would simulate the PRP. I appreciate any and all info as simply-put-as-possible since I am not the sharpest pencil in the science box. Confused

DrJ wrote:
There are certain cytokines concentrated in platelets, that is true. It's because platelets are key to the first wave of wound healing. e.g. after you get a cut. But these same cytokines are ubiquitous in the human body. So its possible to isolate them not just from platelets, but from other cells, including certain stem cells involved in healing. But you can replicate the dose of these you get from injection of PRP merely by concentrating the key cytokines, which you can do several ways. Then dermarolling is to some extent a mimic for injection (you get a pretty wide open path) but not exactly the same. Then there are newer dermal needling techniques that better mimic injections. Needs some good studies, but in theory all the pieces are there.

Human cytokines and growth factors are natural, and yours are identical to every other humans. Platelets on the other hand have antigens. These can stimulate production of antibodies against other people's antigens which can cause major problems. By coming up with a "platelet-free" type of PRP (get rid of cells, just use the cytokines; the right ones, at the right place, at the right time", you get the benefits without the worries, and it will be a lot cheaper.

Tiny wrote:
Color me confused, how in the world can a derma roller mimic an injection Confused ! I get it "should" in theory, allow product to penetrate
"better"! But penetrate better and INJECT, are two different animals.

Your inferring if others use your product and derma roll, they too can achieve this. I do NOT see how adding a derma roll, to Re Luma, is going to give me the same results as this "more" invasive procedure.

DrJ wrote:
I didn't mention any product, I'm talking concept. But since you mention ReLuma I should point out that ReLuma uses adipose-derived stem cells to create cytokines, and therefore will not contain some of the key cytokines present within PRP. Contrast this with bone marrow derived MSC's which are key regulators of platelet production in vivo (one of their many roles) and share cytokine and growth factor concentration gradients with them. In fact in some experimental protocols, you have to add PRP to adipose stem cells in order to acheieve a stem cell paracrine effect.

Lotusesther wrote:
The subject is the vampire lift, which is not done with a derma roller. I assume there must be a reason for that.

Furthermore I don't see why adipose stem cells (naturally present in our cheeks) would not send the right messages and bone marrow stem cells would. So far the user's reviews do seem to be slightly in favour of the fat, not the bone when it comes to skin effects.
havana8

Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:26 am      Reply with quote
DrJ wrote:
Can Platelet-rich Plasma Be Used for Skin Rejuvenation? Evaluation of Effects of Platelet-rich Plasma on Human Dermal Fibroblast

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3229934/pdf/ad-23-424.pdf
DrJ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:42 am      Reply with quote
Lotusesther wrote:
The subject is the vampire lift, which is not done with a derma roller. I assume there must be a reason for that.

You could do a vampire lift with a dermaroller, but because it is expensive to do the PRP separation(requires special equipment) injections are done to avoid wasting any of the resulting plasma .concentrate. In fact because needling itself induces collagen production, theoretically you might get additive effects combined with PRP.

Lotusesther wrote:
Furthermore I don't see why adipose stem cells (naturally present in our cheeks) would not send the right messages and bone marrow stem cells would. So far the user's reviews do seem to be slightly in favour of the fat, not the bone when it comes to skin effects.

Bone marrow derived mesenchymal stem cells are intimately involved with hematopoesis (formation of blood elements) including platelet production. Therefore they contain the same cytokines as PRP (lysed platelets). Stem cells from fat do not share this characteristic. The scientific literature shows you have to add PRP to adipose stem cell medium to get some of the same effects as that already present in marrow-derived stem cell medium. Fat stem cells are not part of the body's natural "911" repair system, and so are not the same as the marrow derived ones. Thanks for asking.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:41 am      Reply with quote
Nicki at FutureDerm also wrote about PRP this week.

http://www.futurederm.com/2012/06/12/should-you-get-plasma-rich-platelet-injections/

Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:24 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |