Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

How did you choose your career?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
BellaKai
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:48 pm      Reply with quote
What do you do for a living?

I'm currently in my last 2 years of college and I have had such a horrible time trying to decide on a major. I have researched and researched different career paths that interest me. Throwing in the fact that I'm moving overseas after getting married makes things even more difficult because I feel pressure to make sure my career will work out in the UK.

This has honestly just been racking my brain and I don't really have family support, so I can't go and talk to them about this. The advisors at my university are kind of sub-par. Nice people, but I know they are just there to collect a paycheck.

So how did you pick your chosen field and have you been happy with it?
Ava with wings
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:26 pm      Reply with quote
I think very few people choose their field. I have an archaeology degree- I spent college working on the bones of long dead people.

Fast forward a few years- I'm an IT director at a financial institution. I can say that I truly enjoy my job for the most part.

Best advice I can give is to study what you love, but don't pass up other opportunities because they don't fit in your game plan.

Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:18 pm      Reply with quote
I'm in a very similar situation - I have one year left of studying physics and no idea how to even start choosing a career. I've done work experience with all sorts of companies including a physics-related place, insurance, programming... Still got no idea what I want to do.

With the job market the way it is, I'm afraid I'm just going to settle for the first job I get and end up stuck doing that for the rest of my life...

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:13 pm      Reply with quote
So I'm changing careers, moving from physics into clinical research. Just have been so interested in health for a while that I have to try it out; I don't want to live my life with any regrets for having not taken a risk. Plus there is such a need for better clinical research that relevant to the public. Wish me luck. We'll see how it pans out Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:29 pm      Reply with quote
My brother has brain damage and in high school, this boy striped him naked and whipped him with my brother's belt.
Funny how the teachers did not supervise my brother properly.

I wanted revenge on that kid. I did & then I decided I wanted to be in law.
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:42 pm      Reply with quote
Skincare wrote:
My brother has brain damage and in high school, this boy striped him naked and whipped him with my brother's belt.

Gosh Skincare, I'm so sorry something like that was allowed to happen to your brother.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:49 pm      Reply with quote
CookieD wrote:
Skincare wrote:

Gosh Skincare, I'm so sorry something like that was allowed to happen to your brother.

I agree. That's horrible!!! I can't believe that people do that to others. My heart goes out to your brother.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:04 pm      Reply with quote
Skincare wrote:

It is impossible for me to fathom how one person could do that to another. I hope your brother is living a safe and loving life.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:23 pm      Reply with quote
I think you are the norm. Most people in their 20's have no idea what they want to become. In university I had no idea what I wanted to do....I wanted to study criminology one year...then next year I wanted to do sciences/medicine....then I wanted to go to beauty school! I was constantly just taking courses not really knowing what I wanted to become. Even after university I went into professions but realizing none of them I was entirely passionate about. I am still paying off student loans but not even in the field of what I majored in at school. It will come with age. I am 27 yrs old now and definitely know myself better. I've quit some good paying jobs to make less money and be in a field that I am more passionate about. Follow your passion! Too many get into a field they aren't really passionate about, take for instance nurses. Nurses make good money, they are in demand, they get health benefits and pensions etc. But many people get into that for just security reasons but hate their jobs every single day!
Go with what your interests are, what your heart tells you.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:12 pm      Reply with quote
CookieD wrote:
Skincare wrote:

Thank you. It is totally unfair that people with special needs do get to be victims.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:13 pm      Reply with quote
cm5597 wrote:
CookieD wrote:
Skincare wrote:

I agree. That's horrible!!! I can't believe that people do that to others. My heart goes out to your brother.

Yes, that is not the only assault he has endured. Life is not fair, but this is very cruel & evil.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:15 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
Skincare wrote:

It is impossible for me to fathom how one person could do that to another. I hope your brother is living a safe and loving life.

Reality is, that it does happen. Pimps target them and use them as prostitutes. Sit in criminal court and you will see how many victims with special needs are out there. It is so sad that it is happening in this healthy Country.
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:38 am      Reply with quote
My career chose me.

I carefully considered my personal strengths & weaknesses and my personality and interests and then chose a field that was an intersection of all those things.

I work in a field that blends the law with psychology and business.

Wishing the right path for all, BFG
Moon
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:29 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm currently in my last 2 years of college and I have had such a horrible time trying to decide on a major. I have researched and researched different career paths that interest me. Throwing in the fact that I'm moving overseas after getting married makes things even more difficult because I feel pressure to make sure my career will work out in the UK.

This has honestly just been racking my brain and I don't really have family support, so I can't go and talk to them about this. The advisors at my university are kind of sub-par. Nice people, but I know they are just there to collect a paycheck.

So how did you pick your chosen field and have you been happy with it?

There is a theory that when you combine what you are good at, with what you like doing and what you want to see changed in the world then you will find fulfilment. Hope this helps Smile

Quote:

Karma, Universal law, divine redemption - Call it what you want - it exists
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:02 am      Reply with quote
I haven't seen it Moon, so therefore, it doesn't exist.
Moon
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:10 am      Reply with quote
Im sorry that you feel that way Skincare. I believe that you cannot cause suffering to others without suffering yourself. Most of the time those that cause suffering are already suffering themselves and may well continue to suffer to their dying day...
Moon
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:00 pm      Reply with quote
I suppose psychopaths/people who lack the ability to empathise tend to be the exception to this... hmmm... Maybe you deal with many people like this in your job Skincare?
kmrmv8
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:22 pm      Reply with quote
I am so sorry to hear that, Skincare. There are many sick people in the world.
I am about to start my last year of college to become a special education teacher. IMO one of the most important thing is for students to be comfortable in their learning environment. If a student is not comfortable at school, it is so hard for them to learn anything. That student should have been expelled and the school should have made the police involved. A person who is sick enough to do that to anyone, brain damage or not, should be dealt with. In my experience, the offender is often unhappier than the victim in the long run. Bullies do not live happy lives, and hopefully he got some help for his violent and demeaning nature.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:45 am      Reply with quote
sorry to hear that about your brother Skincare.
There are some truly nasty people out there.
I worked in Psychiatry and Forensic Psychiatry and there are people who do things for no reason other than they can and want to. Sometimes it is too easy to explain it all down to bad pasts etc. Its sometimes a combo of all nature/nurture and genetics.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:28 am      Reply with quote
Thank you girls. It was certainly shocking when I found out what has happened.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:45 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |